Fire Emblem Thracia 776 warpless 0% growths low turn count playthrough (elite mode)

sine nomine

I recorded a playthrough of FE5 in preparation for a future warpless 0% growths low turn count ironman elite mode run and I figured I might as well post it online. I don't expect anyone to watch it, but at least now there are some FE5 videos on youtube with half-decent tactics. Several chapters are kind of sloppy (especially 7, 12x, and the final chapter), so it would be nice to get suggestions on how to improve this run.

It's a really cool challenge and I highly recommend that you give it a try. For example, look at how much more entertaining chapter 21 becomes:

Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcUnDcs3XizKnTeY2R5Gt08qs8pkF-Ao0

I'll probably add a description to each video explaining what I'm doing and why.

Sample turncounts for an ironman run:

chapter - turncount

1 - 4

2 - 4

2x - 8

3 - 6

4 - 11-13

5 - 18-20

6 - 7

7 - 8

8 - 5

9 - 3

10 - 13-14

11 - 7

12 - 6-7

12x - 10-15?

13 - 6

14 - 10

15 - 2

16b - 4

17b - 3

18 - 6-7

19 - 1

20 - 15

21 - 5

21x - 1

22 - 4

23 - 3

24 - 4

final - 4-5

I recorded each chapter going well, so the recorded run displays 178 turns.

http://imgur.com/FWfZMQE

Edited by sine nomine

Hey you're the guy from /v/. I'm the one you gave general tips about Thracia 776 to.

I'll check this out later, still fun to see how guys manage to pull this stuff off (I don't care much about being spoiled about maps)

Hey you're the guy from /v/. I'm the one you gave general tips about Thracia 776 to.

I'll check this out later, still fun to see how guys manage to pull this stuff off (I don't care much about being spoiled about maps)

Yeah, that's me. I'd encourage you to play the game yourself before watching anyone else's playthroughs so you can experience the game's surprises as you play through it; these videos will still be here once you've finished your first playthrough. I'm sure you'll pick up a couple tips from watching a playthrough, and that might spoil your experience because you'll miss out on the satisfaction you get from figuring stuff out on your own. But it's up to you. Anyway, good luck on your run and hope you enjoy watching.

Loved the run, you sure pulled off some fun exploits throughout. My favorite was constantly letting unarmed units be captured by enemies as a way of protecting fragile units while simultaneously slowing down the enemy who did the capturing. Some other observations:

-This is probably the game best suited for 0% growths since stats just don't really matter that much. I mean base level Selfina and Ralph were getting kills in the final chapter. Rather, the key to winning are strong weapons (think Fin's hero lance, Othin's pugi, Dean's dragon lance) and intelligent staff usage (M Up + status staves = h3x). In fact, I don't feel like you ever lost any turns as a result of 0%ing.

-Dean is a freaking god

-It was nice to see low levelled units like Fin, Othin, Felgus, Homer, etc be so effective throughout the game off of nothing but a promotion stat-wise. In the same vein, was cool to see units like Glade actually seem useful.

-Although rewarp + rescue is in the same vein as warping, it didn't really detract from the entertainment value of the run.

-Did not know you could thief staff ballistae.

-Berserk staffing Reinhart was endlessly entertaining. In fact, all of chapter 22 was glorious. Thief staffing all the boss' weapons and then capturing him without a fight with Eda? Yes please.

-I kind of wished you didn't improvise so much in your videos. It gets annoying to watch at times, especially when the chapters start getting 40+ minutes long as a result. That's part of what makes PKL's videos so damn entertaining: Every move feels planned out in advance, even the contingencies.

I'm glad you enjoyed the run.

- Yep, sending unarmed little girls as capture bait then catching enemies with their pants down is a very effective tactic. I kind of wish that enemies didn't capture your units so easily, it's way too overpowered since it not only protects you by making the enemy waste their turn, it also severely weakens them.

- Agreed, I think FE5 is perfectly suited for 0% growths because the levels involve a lot of different challenges aside from simply throwing enemies with big stats at you and because the mechanics allow for a ton of varied approaches. I actually needed to promote Selfina for her to be useful in the final chapter but yeah, fairly weak units could hold their own in late chapters with the right weapons and staves.

- I may have lost a couple turns due to 0%ing, possibly in 4, 5, 7 (kill shiva), 9 (skip elite sword), 10, and later chapters where a powerful rewarper could help. At the same time, 0%ing is nice since my tactics don't get ruined if characters have the wrong amount of build. Check out this thread, he's imposed a bunch of additional rules on his challenge so it's rather different but there will probably be some interesting warpless tactics that hinge on growths: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54483

- Dean IS a freaking god. He's the only unit to recieve a total 30% support bonus, his PCC is 3 so he'll virtually always crit when fully supported, he can fly, his stats are great, he can use awesome lances outdoors and has A rank swords. What more could you ask for?

- Yeah, I think it's really nice how so many units can manage to kill stuff with just their promoted stats, while nobody is overpowered enough to become a one-man-army.

- Glade has a leadership star so he's always useful, but his combat also isn't too shabby. In this run I don't think he did all that much, but he's pretty good with Selphina support (20%) and a master lance.

- I considered banning rewarp+rescue, but it would be a pretty arbitrary ban so I decided against it. It might make a warpless run more repetetive if played with growths (with an invincible Salem or something), but in this run rewarp+rescue was used on (Eda carrying) Leaf only once so it actually added to variety. Otherwise I'd have Dean fly Leaf to ch17b's gate.

- Yeah you can thief staff anything. I used it instead of sleep to disable ballistae since the thief staff has more uses (one repair goes further), Tina needs exp, and I even get some funds out of it.

- Chapter 22 was kind of amusing since Reinhardt went crazy. If he happens to die before he can slaughter his troops, the mage knights will actually flee because I rewarped Safy close enough to trigger them (otherwise they'll stick around and ruin everything; note that putting him to sleep isn't enough). I also had a spare sleep staff ready in case things didn't work out so perfectly. I think the chapter is even more amusing in an elite mode run with warpkipping allowed; all Tina needs to do is to thief his master lance, then you can capture him and seize on turn 1 without a fight. In this run I needed to thief his berserk staff and blizzard tome so I could actually get there.

- Yeah, my videos suck. Especially the earlier ones since I didn't even think of uploading it until I was partway through. The problem is that I forget I'm recording and I double check stats and ranges and stuff.