Spoiler Free Chapter goal disscussion thread

MCProductions

I'm curious as to how varied chapter goals are in the three different routes. I know Hoshido is advertised to be the second coming of Awakening, so I assume Rout and defeat boss goals are all that are in that route, but I am curious as to what Nohr and the Invisible Kingdom have to offer in map objective variety, and would like it to be presented in a spoiler free environment, so I made this thread.

Feel free to discuss the various chapter goals the game(s) throw at you here.

I did it once and I can do it again, here are all chapter requirements for the main maps.

Note, *Escape=Avatar, Seize=Anyone

Prologue: It's scripted, not really relevant

C1: Defeat Boss (there's only 1 enemy anyway)

C2: Rout

C3: Seize

C4: Rout

C5: Rout

Hoshido

H6: Defeat Boss

H7: Rout

H8: Rout

H9: Rout

H10: Rout

H11: Rout

H12: Escape

H13: Rout

H14: Defeat Boss

H15: Rout

H16: Rout

H17: Rout

H18: Defeat Boss

H19: Rout

H20: Defeat Boss

H21: Defeat Boss

H22: Rout

H23: Rout

H24: Defeat Boss

H25: Defeat Boss

H26: Defeat Boss

H27: Defeat Boss

H Endgame: Defeat Boss

Nohr

N6: Defeat 4 enemies (out of 5)

N7: Rout

N8: Defeat Boss

N9: Seize

N10: Defend for 11 Turns

N11: Defeat Boss

N12: Escape in 16 Turns or Defeat Boss

N13: Rout

N14: Defeat Boss

N15: All allies escape in 20 Turns or Defeat Boss

N16: Defeat Boss

N17: Defeat Boss

N18: Defeat all three bosses in 20 Turns

N19: Rout

N20: Seize

N21: All allies escape

N22: Seize

N23: Seize

N24: Seize

N25: Defeat Boss

N26: Seize

N27: Defeat Boss

N Endgame: Defeat Boss

Invisible Kingdom

I6: Defeat both bosses in 5 Turns

I7: Seize

I8: Defeat Boss

I9: Seize

I10: Seize

I11: Rout

I12: Defeat Boss

I13: Defeat Boss

I14: Rout

I15: Seize

I16: Defeat Boss

I17: Seize

I18: Defeat Boss

I19: All allies escape in 20 Turns or Defeat Boss

I20: Defeat Boss

I21: Defeat Boss

I22: Seize

I23: Seize

I24: Defeat Boss

I25: Defeat Boss

I26: Defeat Boss

I27: Defeat Boss

I Endgame: Defeat Boss

Out of the 74 Maps,

36 are Defeat Boss

20 are Rout

14 are Seize

5 are Escape

1 Defend

1 "Defeat x enemies" map

The reason why it sums to 77 instead is because 3 of the maps are "escape or defeat boss"

5 of the objectives are also timed

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I would like to point out that the third path also introduces two maps with different kinds of fog of war in addition to the mission objective, so that could be worth taking into consideration.

I must say that I'm disappointed there was only one "defend" mission since it was the most fun I had with the entire game. The Nohr maps were generally amazing though, so I'm definitely not dissatisfied in terms of gameplay, but it would've been fun with at least one more similar mission.

Brings back memories of Warcraft III, man.

TBF, Cocoa, most FE maps have killing enemies in a way. I'm personally glad to see this level of variety, since it is similer to the level of variety in FE 7. I always felt that game had the perfect amount of variety in its stages, without being too much like RD, or too little like FE4,6, and 13.

Tho the existence of FOW in the third route combined with other things I've heard makes less and less hyped for that route.

1 Defend map? Seriously IS?

That makes me sad.

If it makes you feel any better, it's probably the best map in the entire game.

I'm also partial to a certain "escape" map, since I'm apparently a masochist.

Honestly, I'd take 1 really good defend map over any of the DB's part 3 chapters in RD, so I can live with just one if it really is that good a map.

I'm personally curious that it seems anyone can seize to end the chapter, according to Cocoa's post. Am I just reading that wrong or did IS allow people like me to have the lords bosskill without wasting a turn for once for once.

Yeah, I played it, I'm on Chapter 20. That's precisely what makes me sad: knowing I've been through the best map already...

Yeah, I played it, I'm on Chapter 20. That's precisely what makes me sad: knowing I've been through the best map already...

Well if you like difficult maps, hold on to your hat, because you're in for a treat in the near future.

I like difficult maps, but only when they're fair. For example, I found Ch. 10 way more pleasant than Ch. 19 because, even though it was easier than Ch. 10, it felt like the map gimmick in this one was really unfair.

Can you tell me what route it is on? I'll PROBABLY only buy one game, most likely Nohr, but I love me some defense maps.

Also, from Cocoa's list, at least they tried after Awakening's horrible "rout or defeat boss every map" fiasco.

Hey, defeat boss is my jam

I like doing the whole break ranks, make a beeline for the head of the snake thing. Makes planning out speedy strats easier than routs.

Not exactly an LTC nut and I definitely fall more on the casual side of things but I do despise playing the game at a snail's pace.

Awakening wasn't all beat the boss and rout the enemy there was one protect the tiki map (though that was still rout the enemy)

Im only slightly disappointed that there is only one defend map and finding out that it is the best map in the game is not helping because that means we could have had two well designed defend maps but we didn't so whatever.

What about the recruitment maps for the children?

Any special goals for those chapters?

No, but there are several gimmicks in them. Some good, some absolutely dreadful and only there to artificially make the game harder in all the wrong ways.

No, but there are several gimmicks in them. Some good, some absolutely dreadful and only there to artificially make the game harder in all the wrong ways.

Ouch. Was hoping they'd add more variation in those paralogues.

Also, while I'm glad there's variation, I guess I'd be lying if I didn't say I hoped there would be a bit more. Which is weird, because I'm pretty sure there's more variation here then there ever was in FE7 and Sacred Stones, not even to touch on awakening. It's nice to see some maps will even have choices between whether you want to finish it one way or the other. I assume on normal it might be easier to say, clear the map, where on harder difficulties it may be too hard to do that so focusing on the boss before they close in may be the more important thing (or escaping or whatever.)

There is plenty of variation. Hell, sometimes I'm wonder if there's not too much since a lot of maps definitely get too gimmicky (I've seen the third route being called Gimmick Emblem, which is pretty fitting).

And yeah, normal this game is REALLY easy; I tried normal on Nohr and you can just blow through the latter maps since they removed some very crucial skills and equipment on a lot of units. Conquest is definitely designed to be played on at least hard unless you want to experience the "story". Oh well, even the more plain maps are brilliantly designed, if you ask me.

Well, darn. I mean, Nohr looks on par with FE9 variety-wise, although I'm disappointed that every escape map can also be ended by defeating the boss and that there's only one defense map... But hoshido looks like Awakening 2.0 apart from seize and one escape map being thrown in, and it looks like Invisible Kingdom decided to follow Hoshido in terms of bland objectiving... Even in Nohr's case, I had my hopes up for something at or above RD in terms of creative objectives.... But maybe I just set my standards too high. :/

I'm honestly more concerned with map variety than I am with chapter goals. A chapter can have a defeat boss goal, but how easy does that make it? Can I fly a bosskiller at it and two-turn? Can I ship my team close, tank a bunch of enemies, then ship a healer over and then finish the boss? If the boss is flanked by attack stance flunkies, how many people and what sort of approach will I need to mop up the boss in one turn?

Hint to everyone: if your Silas gets RNG screwed, START THE GAME OVER. You're going to need that bad boy.

I'm honestly more concerned with map variety than I am with chapter goals. A chapter can have a defeat boss goal, but how easy does that make it? Can I fly a bosskiller at it and two-turn? Can I ship my team close, tank a bunch of enemies, then ship a healer over and then finish the boss? If the boss is flanked by attack stance flunkies, how many people and what sort of approach will I need to mop up the boss in one turn?

Hint to everyone: if your Silas gets RNG screwed, START THE GAME OVER. You're going to need that bad boy.

You can one-turn Shigure's chapter. I don't see anything too obvious otherwise.

Tanking is somewhat viable (the Elfi-Leon combo is quite something to look at), but you don't want to have too few units absorbing all the experience (in Nohr/Lunatic's case).

Attack stance is negated by guard stance, so that's not a problem. I actually find this FE still leaning towards the defensive side. Attack stance is better for tackling isolated but powerful enemies, and that's pretty much it.

My Silas is completely superseded by his daughter by now. He's still a rather important unit when he was the sole cavalier.

You can one-turn Shigure's chapter. I don't see anything too obvious otherwise.

Tanking is somewhat viable (the Elfi-Leon combo is quite something to look at), but you don't want to have too few units absorbing all the experience (in Nohr/Lunatic's case).

Attack stance is negated by guard stance, so that's not a problem. I actually find this FE still leaning towards the defensive side. Attack stance is better for tackling isolated but powerful enemies, and that's pretty much it.

My Silas is completely superseded by his daughter by now. He's still a rather important unit when he was the sole cavalier.

I'm probably going for a Silas/Corrin S-Support just so I can get Sophie quick as possible. Probably not getting any other children unless it's easy and also viable to train them.

Silly Fates, not giving me enough Cavs ):

Also yeah, Seigbert exists, but that involves using Xander which I am not going to be doing on my no-second-tier runs.