How do you normally get over a sad event?

IceBrand

After hearing the news of Iwata's death, I feel not depressed , but really down lately. It felt like yesterday watching him from E3 and from his interview with the Fates' developers. The Internet isn't helping much with the news spreading.

I work out intensely for a few hours until I can't anymore that usually takes my mind off of things. Being sociable with people helps too. Even if I don't say much just being around a few friends and hearing them laugh and have a good time is intoxicating in a good way. I also think of things like how and what to collect or work on next like whether it's upgrading my computer cleaning it or finding better ways to arrange my room and make things run better.

If I'm feeling down I just try to sleep and usually it goes away by the time I get up, but that may make it worse for some people.

But I've been... Genuinely unfazed by the whole ordeal, this particular one anyway.

Hard to say if I'm just desensitized or not, I just don't feel it affects me very much. It's a true shame it happened and he'll indeed be missed, but it's not as though the man was one of my dear friends or something. I can't see why some people get so worked up over it.

If something happens to someone who wouldn't care if the same thing happened to you then there's no reason to get worked up over it, I feel.

I listen to music, pet my dogs and sometimes I read a favorite book. It is fine to be sad and sometimes we need to cry about things. I know one thing that helped when I lost someone is I went on YouTube and started watching Asterix the Gaul movies and that helped me get through it. I suppose that one thing Iwata would like is if you bought a Nintendo game and enjoyed playing it.

when you lose someone you love or care for deeply, the wound never heals completely. depending on how close one is to the lost loved one determines the deepness of the cut and tenderness of the scar.

everyone deals with grief differently. i suggest going out and doing something to get your mind off of it.

It stays forever. Sometimes, I see it in my dream. When I wakes up, it gives me a despair feeling. In the dreams, I keep seeing the happiest moments which hurts me a lot cause I know that it is not gonna happen again.

• 3 weeks later...

I read or play video games to take my mind off of it. When I learned of Iwata's death, I played Earthbound, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8. It's heartwarming how many people were playing as Iwata miis as a tribute in the latter. I watched the gamexplain tribute and discussion, and then stared at the Brawl in the Family tribute for a while. It really is amazing how many people Satoru Iwata impacted. He will be dearly missed.

• 1 month later...

Mostly exercise. Of the hardcore variety. I go running and include a few 100m sprints in it. That seems to do a pretty good job of diffusing stress. It's quite good for depression too if you do it regularly.

Edited by Mrs Chrom

I was really upset about Iwata's death too and my way of coping is to let it all out (like I cried for hours tbh). And to get some sort of respite from what happened, I usually write my thoughts and feelings in a word document or I just talk out loud of what I'm feeling, even if it doesn't make any sense.

I listen to sad music, cry a lot so everything that I have to bear goes away, then go to sleep, and try to be with my friends as much as I can, talk with them about all and everything, then I listen to a peacful music to put my mind at ease. Usually I repeat those events so my emotions settle down better.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's ludicrous that people here would feel so sad for Iwata's death, I mean it was pretty sad and we mourn it because he seemed like a good guy, but we didn't actually know him.

I've felt sadness for long, and there are things I'll never forget. There's a specific period of my life I'll never forget.

I think it's ludicrous that people here would feel so sad for Iwata's death, I mean it was pretty sad and we mourn it because he seemed like a good guy, but we didn't actually know him.

I've felt sadness for long, and there are things I'll never forget. There's a specific period of my life I'll never forget.

A little empathy goes a long way, I think it's totally understandable to feel sad about Iwata's death. I'd encourage you to remember that before posting in future. I see a lot in my line of work, so I guess I'm a little more adapted to losses - although it doesn't make them any less sad.

I think they were addressing the magnitude of sadness as opposed to the sadness itself. Yeah it's sad, but I don't see any reason why it should be so crushing, if only because our relationship with the guy is impersonal at best.

I think they were addressing the magnitude of sadness as opposed to the sadness itself. Yeah it's sad, but I don't see any reason why it should be so crushing, if only because our relationship with the guy is impersonal at best.

Whilst that is true, posting "I don't get how people can feel that sad because I don't" doesn't exactly portray oneself as a paragon of empathy.

It usually only goes away with time, don't let the past define you and behave as you always did. You can't really ignore all sadness that can be there, but life goes on and so should people. So it kind of just happens