That One Boss 2.0

Draco

There's always that one boss you fight that you just can never seem to get past. Often growing up or something.

Read the trope here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThatOneBoss

For me, Dracula in Circle of the Moon is really, really, ridiculously hard for no reason. I don't care if it's the final boss, it's ridiculous. At least the song is really good, especially for a GBA game.

I had some trouble with Necromancer too I think.

I know a lot of the missions in FF12: Revenant Wings are weirdly hard. You can't get through that game without grinding kind of a lot.

Phoenix Magnion in Mega Man Zero 2. That guy stopped my progress for... quite awhile. Even with savestates, I had so much trouble with that. Getting the EX Skill was impossible. It was the first mission I attempted, and the level wasn't easy either.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowser at the end of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. He was so frustrating, even though I wasn't that young.

Also Gheb from FE8, because my first runthrough, I sacrificed everyone except for Seth and Ephraim before Chapter 9 and I had bad luck with Seth getting hit and crit-killed even with a sword equipped.

Gazzak (the boss of chapter 3 in Shadow Dragon) is tough on all difficulties because of his high stats and Hand Axe and the fact that at this point most of your characters are still pretty fragile (even your prepromote)

Dr. Nefarious in Up Your Arsenal is still easily the hardest endboss in the Ratchet and Clank series due to his attacks doing tons of damage and having tons of health.

The two last bosses in Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier (the stupid overpowered monkey and the evil Dark Eco guy whose name I forget) the first for being extremely overpowered and the latter for being nigh invincible and both for having TONS OF HP! That's the one big problem I have with The Lost Frontier, everything takes way too long to kill.

More.

[spoiler= Persona 3, not much spoilers but long]

From TV Tropes.
The Final Boss deserves mention for being a shining example of Fake Difficulty in a game which is otherwise tough but fair. He's a Sequential Boss with thirteen forms. Twelve are normal boss fights, even a little on the easy side, but put together they take almost an hour to get through, and no saving in between forms. Then the thirteenth form likes to spam its unblockable hit-all attack, has 6000 HP, takes half damage from everything except the Almighty element, and will randomly stop your progress cold by using an energy shield that reflects everything. It takes about a half-hour to whittle down his HP to the point where he's finally had enough and busts out his ultimate attack — which, in most cases, leaves you flailing for a few turns trying to recover, and then dead. Hard bosses are one thing, but bosses that make you go through an hour and a half of A.I. Roulette and tedium before clobbering you are a special kind of sadism. He can use status ailment attacks on your whole team.

Oh, and it's possible for your allies to completely heal him when confused. Yeah. That happened to me once. I was so pissed.

Ruler of the Sky from KH 358/2 days. It's kind of a Get Back Here boss. It's literally always running away from you, iirc. Most of the weapons make it difficult to do good damage in the air, and I usually specialize in ground combat. This fight took me maybe an hour, and with the devastating attacks this boss has, it's not hard to die.

Both Bonus Bosses in KH: Birth by Sleep, the Mysterious Figure and Vanitas Remnant, if I got the names right.

• The latter has pretty low health for a boss but he teleport spams, has devestating attacks (they OHKO if I remember right), and overall borderline impossible to win if you don't abuse cheese tactics. Oh, also, he won't let you heal. With magic, anyway. You can dodge roll, which is really important for both fights. You're invincible when you do it.
  • The former is even worse. 4x as much health, capable of slowing down time to mess you up, OHKO's you, teleport-spams. Oh, and he gets stronger, the more strong you are, if I remember right. Equip more abilities and you'll be having a harder time. No cheese-tactics this time, just dodge roll spam.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. Great game though.

Edited by Draco

Gazzak (the boss of chapter 3 in Shadow Dragon) is tough on all difficulties because of his high stats and Hand Axe and the fact that at this point most of your characters are still pretty fragile (even your prepromote)

That's Hyman/Reynard you're thinking of. And what really pushes him up there is his 14 speed.

Anyways... Arietta at Choral Castle is a right pain - she has two monsters helping her out, and that's not even factoring her buffing them and casting dangerous attack spells. While you can prevent her from casting if you hit her enough, you need someone else attacking her to actually have a chance of doing so (assuming she doesn't just use Overlimit, which prevents staggering). Oh, and if you're playing on harder difficulties, you get to eat her "Big Bang" Mystic Arte, too. The best (read: worst) part? She's only the second boss of the game.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

The Mandragoras in FF12 to name a recent example for me. Only this past run where I'm pretty overlevelled did I get past them no problem.

I had troubles with the Dragon in FE7 because Canas was rarely a good unit for me too :(

Persona 3 Final boss is a pushover if you take time and grind alot. He barely damaged my pimped out party and I rolled over him in cold blood. Mind you that grinding in Persona 3 is very fast, especially if you use the secret dungeon.

Speaking of grind-heavy games: Fate/EXTRA.

Archer's random chance poison is a bitch, and while it's easy to cure it (thereby rendering his Noble Phantasm useless) if you aren't good then you'll be continuously making the choice between healing and curing the poison. If you choose to just heal and allow Archer to use his Noble Phantasm, then the effects of poison get WORSE!

Both Lancers are also pains in the ass to fight. On Rin's route, Lancer is a juggernaut with insanely powerful attacks and skills, while on Rani's route Lancer isn't quite as tough and hard hitting, but the real icing on the cake is their Noble Phantasms. Rin's route's Lancer's is a single use hard-hitting attack that counts as a BREAK attack, meaning that guarding against it is useless and unless you've been grinding your ass off you won't have your Servant's defensive skill yet. Rani's route's Lancer is even worse because his Noble Phantasm is a guaranteed OHKO unless you use a defensive skill (Saber's Thrice Rising Sun, Archer's Rho Aias, or Caster's Aphotic Cave) and he SPAMS IT! Luckily you can usually predict when he's going to use it, but if you're using Saber or Archer you'll be quickly running out of MP from defending so much (Caster regenerates MP when she successfully uses Aphotic Cave). Another difficult part of the Lancer on Rin's route is that he's the last Servant you fight before obtaining your Noble Phantasm, making him much more difficult than later bosses (the two end bosses aside from the bonus boss are both complete pushovers)

The Gaia Origin in Digimon World Dusk, Fuck. those. guys.

Technically it's not so much one boss, more of a boss gauntlet but holy hell, that's a difficulty spike if I've ever seen one, it wasn't until 5 years after my first fight with them until I actually manage to beat them, then it took me another year until I beat the next Story quest and finally beat the game and getting that Legendary Tamer rank.

Edited by saifors

The Gaia Origin in Digimon World Dusk, Fuck. those. guys.

Technically it's not so much one boss, more of a boss gauntlet but holy hell, that's a difficulty spike if I've ever seen one, it wasn't until 5 years after my first fight with them until I actually manage to beat them, then it took me another year until I beat the next Story quest and finally beat the game and getting that Legendary Tamer rank.

I know rite.

I had to make myself an OMEGAMON in Digimon World Dawn, and a SLEIPMON as well.

don't remember what my healer was though. might've been marineangewomon.

Justimon was pretty good if you picked the speed pack, but the Japanese pack is where you get REKKAMON which is rare as fuck.

oh and Dusk had the chance of getting fucking Diablomon.

good fucking god.

I tried the defense pack and the attack pack in Dusk, both were soo gud.

Nyarlathotep from Persona 2: IS (the PSX version, I hear the situation was different in the PSP port). Maybe it's just the sheer contrast between the difficulty of the rest of the game and of the final boss, but I recall just ragequitting the game there. All of the prior bosses were complete pushovers and I thought the last ones would follow suit. Hitler was as easy as expected but the following fight really caught me off guard.

I'm not sure if it's actually considered to be all that tough of a fight, but the difficulty spike is definitely there. It may also be that my memory is exaggerating it, but I have no way to check since my save file is long gone.

EDIT Oh, completely forgot Vagullion from Ys 1 (Complete/Chronicles) on Nightmare. Worst boss ever.

Edited by Topazd

Basically any Seymour fights from Final Fantasy X but I would say the third Seymour battle is the hardest boss fight in the game and is honestly the very reason I have given up on Final Fantasy X. All I can say is F**K YOU SEYMOUR FLUX

Basically any Seymour fights from Final Fantasy X but I would say the third Seymour battle is the hardest boss fight in the game and is honestly the very reason I have given up on Final Fantasy X. All I can say is F**K YOU SEYMOUR FLUX

All you have to do is use a powerful aeon overdrive (like bahamut) when he starts getting ready to use his super attack (total annihilation or something?).

All you have to do is use a powerful aeon overdrive (like bahamut) when he starts getting ready to use his super attack (total annihilation or something?).

Believe me I've tried Bahamut I use the Overdrive and managed to take off about 15,000 to 20,000 HP with that move alone but once he kills the Aeon he manages to get three turns before I get to act again thus using total annihilation and various other things like the status effect Zombie and therefore wiping out what's left of my party. I've tried various strategies I looked online for help I have grinded for hours but to no avail can I beat this boss even after 5 attempts so that's why I've quit. I just ended up looking at the ending online thank God for YouTube.

Edited by Zodok_the_Priest_666

I hope you listened to the Seymour Omnis theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWE0nlhpdq8

That's the one thing that made me think to myself oh s*** what have I gotten myself into I should have continued on with the game lol. But I'll be honest with you I don't hate the game I just hate that boss fight I should honestly go back to the game it has been about 5 years since I've played it so who knows maybe I've gotten better I have to played several RPG's since then. But that theme kicks so much ass even in the remastered versison sounds even better.

I never did finish FF10. First played it a number of years ago when I wasn't quite as good at many games, but I recall being on some snowy mountain path and fighting Seymour again. I had so much trouble with that fight that I couldn't continue and I never progressed anymore since.

I never did finish FF10. First played it a number of years ago when I wasn't quite as good at many games, but I recall being on some snowy mountain path and fighting Seymour again. I had so much trouble with that fight that I couldn't continue and I never progressed anymore since.

You and me both mate that was the fight against Seymour Flux (Shiver) just thinking about that fight gives me the chills.

Have you tried getting all the aeons on their overdrives and just going through them one at a time, failing that Yojimbo is at the bottom in the calmlands, just pay him gil and cheese it if you're finding it that tough.

I never finished it, either. I was stuck at the stupid airship fight. I actually beat it a couple of times, but would subsequently die to a random encounter before I could find the nearest save point. Freaking save points.

Aztek Falcon from Megaman Zero.

Zero 1 is basically the first real 2D platformer I ever played and then they drop this asshole as the first proper boss on me.

It's amazing how unfair this guy is. Faced at the beginning of the game, before you even properly know the basics, this jackass has so many hard boss traits it's hilarious.

He's got a disjointed hitbox, making him very difficult to approach without getting hurt. So since the melee approach doesn't work, how about shooting him? Well, he will simply block the bullets. At least most of then but even if you hit him, you only deal chip damage anyway.

If he doesn't ram his massive body right into you, he will fire lengthy projectiles that will stick to the wall. And he fires them Tiger Shot style, so good look dodging those. And if you think you can just play it save by sticking to the wall and jumping of when he comes dashing... that doesn't work either since there actually is a time limit too. Aztek Falcon can just take his time firing his darts at the wall so you are forced to jump right between him and his darts in the wall if you want to stand a chance.

Thankfully I was playing on an emulator at the time, so I eventually took him down through sheer tenacity and save states. I pity the fool who was in the same situation as me, but had to play it at a proper GBA.

Edited by BrightBow