That One Boss 2.0

Draco

If you mention Gulcasa to someone and they cringe... Congrats, you've found someone who's played Yggdra Union. As to this... First off, he tends to have stat advantage over your units. Second, his weapon. Scythes are good against swords, spears, and axes, and aren't bad against anything. Worst of all, though is his card, Genocide. It powers him up according to how many of his troops are still standing when it's used, in addition to preventing any use of card skills, and worse yet, if he wins after using it, which he most likely will, you take more Morale damage.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Does Yamato bot in World of Warships count as a boss...? Because I mean... I was in a South Carolina... and had to fight Great Battleship Yamato.
All because some joker decided to bring a T10 into CoOp at 1 in the morning. Oh and to insult that injury he afk'd and let Langley bot kill him with torps and flooding.
...Probably not.

[PS won that fight, surprisingly. Burn! BURN! BURN!!!! </DeLoco>]

Anyways...

Has anyone mentioned the Batomys in this topic?

Quick Rundown of that beastie:

1. It's a Boss in a TRPG [Tactics, there's no Strategy involved in Valkyria] ...which takes no less than or more than 9 turns [ok, it might randomly take 10]

2. It's only really attackable after it commits to an action.

3. It has turrets that will shred you and the RNG in Valkyria is not fun and you need to take 'em out, and it takes 2 shots/turret [unless Tank Hater or Veggies]

4. Another, invincible, high movement, boss that will one-hit kill any of your characters spawns and must be blocked by your "Lord" (and saviour: Panzer 3/4 [which later promotes into Konigs-Tiger/ Panzer 7 Tiger 2]), else she WILL massacre you.

...There's effectively one overall way to beat it.

And if you don't figure that out, well, be prepared to reset-- over and over again.

[Hilariously it comes on the heels of a hilariously easy mission notable for having one scout just run for it, throw a grenade and then change a flag for a 1 turn victory-- the perfect reason why Sieze is an objectively awful objective]

And as far as an earlier mention of DeLoco

Chameleon 3 in Skies of Arcadia.

Not that it's hard to proceed [but by that logic, the Black Knight in PoR is dirt easy as a boss]...

No, Chameleon 3 is a SERIOUS PAIN TO BEAT.

See here's the catch: He's got 30000 HP.

If he takes ~15000, he retreats and Chameleon 4 starts.

Problem: Boss is in bloody Deep Sky.

Deep Sky does two things that aren't cool for this:

1. Hides the Battle flow. Rounds still proceed as normal, but you can't tell if chance round, yellow round, red round or he's going to bloody evasive manuvers.

2. Halves Cannon Hit Rate. [And Torps STILL miss half the time]

The basic solution is to deal around 14-15k, but not enough to trigger the next phase...

And then dump a bunch of Torps on him and hopefully blast him out of the sky.

...Was it mentioned Torps have bad hit rates? Oh wait, they do.

Very very very hard Boss. Very fitting for Naval Combat though. Much luck. Very miss.

Bonus point is beating Chameleon 3 is the ONLY way to have the 60,000 HP Delphinus. Ack.

I've also always had trouble with Sylph from Tales of Symphonia, many resets were had

Does "Three Desians in front of Triet" count as a boss? Because that's the hardest fight in Symphonia, hands down.

[Alternatively Kvar]

I remember having a ton of trouble fighting the boss of the ship level in Pokémon Ranger 2. I thought I'd never win, so I just spoiled the entire plot for myself. Then a few months later I did some grinding and beat the boss. But ugh, he took me forever. I also remember the first run of Unova's E4 to be a pain, but I was underleveled with bad Pokémon. I overleveled my starter... who I never evolved. Nice job, me. N's Sigalyph or however you spell it was a pain as well. I can also hear my complaining about my Oshawott taking super-effective damage against electric attacks and thinking that the RNG was responsible... Basically, I was horrible at Pokémon.

Fucking Tyrea from Xenoblade.

Not only was it difficult to beat her but that piece of shit line she says over and over is so annoying.Also poor Kaileen(I think that is how you spell it)having to share the same body as that bitch.

Also that final Super Boss on Valak Mountain was pretty difficult too.

The final boss in Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story is extremely hard for me to beat. I finally beat him a few days ago despite being rusty (only two down, one unfair.) after not playing for a few years.

And Bael in Devil May Cry 4 is a dick (on Devil Hunter/Son of Sparda). He has a chance to damage you before the cutscene starts, the things on his intenea can freeze you and he jumps around a lot. Devil Trigger sorta helps, but I save it for when he gets you into his mouth (activate it and he spits you out). Didn't have much trouble with Dagoon, despite being the exact same as Bael and better with Nero than Dante.

I am surprised at the lack of Pokemon over here. Yeah the games are easy, but when they fuck you over, THEY REALLY FUCK YOU OVER!!!

Whitney is a typical answer but Elesa's gym is huge pain in the arse for me. 2 FUCKING EMOLGAS THAT VOLT SWITCH EVERY CHANCE THEY GET AND AERIAL ACE YOUR GROUND TYPE TO BITS SO THAT ZEBSTRIKA CAN STOMP YOU TO DEATH!!!

Yeah I usually don't swear but i swear everytime unless I catch a Sandile and evolve it into a Krokorok and teach it a rock move, I will suffer at the hands of Elesa. She counters all your starters easily,(fuck you whoever came up with Electric/Flying), and then she heals as volt switches her Emolgas to laugh at your face. OMG!!!! Currently I'm playing Pokemon Black/White again and Elesa is next on the list. Yippee.....

Edited by The_Vernster

Just beat Devil Survivor 2, and the fight against Yamato in the Septentrione arc is really hard. It's a luck-based mission.

As usual for bosses, he gets an extra turn even while attacking from a range, moves insanely fast (though only two spaces at a time), and even if you can get close, there's a high chance that he'll use Megido twice in a row, which will kill pretty much anything. And of course no weaknesses and Reflect Phys(ical attacks). He also gets even faster as you defeat the demons around him, to the point where even ganging up on him can still end up with him having the faster turn. Even without the double Megido hanging above your head, he has Revive (Recarm on fallen allies at start of skirmish) and one of his demons has Samarecarm (high level revive spell).

I could never finish Donkey Kong 64. I had the game as a child and back then I didn't even go to the final boss.

Later when I got older (it was like, 3 years ago?) I wanted to play it again for nostalgia and this time I got to face the last boss.

And it was GODDAMN IMPOSSIBLE.

I remember in the end I just rage quit and promised to myself I would never try to finish this game ever again !

The problem with all the K. Rool fights (in every DKC game and DK64) is that they're so trial-and-error based that they're aggravating. You have to see how far you last, learn the pattern, try again and last longer, learn the pattern, try again and last longer, learn the pattern, try again and last longer, learn the pattern, and repeat for who knows how many times until you beat him.

DK64 is ridiculous in this regard. The fight has FIVE phases (although I'll admit the actual scenario is hilarious) and all very different from each other. You have to learn a ridiculous amount of boss patterns, some of which require almost frame-perfect timing (I refuse to believe anyone got the Chunky Punch right the first time. It's just not possible) and there's no save between phases.

So yeah, I agree with you on that one. Really infuriating boss fight.

DK64 is ridiculous in this regard. The fight has FIVE phases (although I'll admit the actual scenario is hilarious) and all very different from each other. You have to learn a ridiculous amount of boss patterns, some of which require almost frame-perfect timing (I refuse to believe anyone got the Chunky Punch right the first time. It's just not possible) and there's no save between phases.

Not to mention that, despite the fact that you keep switching through all the Kongs, you have to beat all five forms on one lifebar. You die in 12 hits, which sounds like a lot, but given the length of the fight there is still very little room for error. And if you die, not only do you have to beat all those forms again, but you have to re-watch those lengthy cutscenes too. So yeah, this one is a massive pain in the rear.

Still, I would say that if one manages to get the Nintendo Coin, the King of Ks shouldn't be enough to make one quit. I guess it's not much of a problem if you played the original arcade game, but otherwise getting the Nintendo coin is the worst.

Edited by BrightBow

I am surprised at the lack of Pokemon over here. Yeah the games are easy, but when they fuck you over, THEY REALLY FUCK YOU OVER!!!

Whitney is a typical answer but Elesa's gym is huge pain in the arse for me. 2 FUCKING EMOLGAS THAT VOLT SWITCH EVERY CHANCE THEY GET AND AERIAL ACE YOUR GROUND TYPE TO BITS SO THAT ZEBSTRIKA CAN STOMP YOU TO DEATH!!!

Yeah I usually don't swear but i swear everytime unless I catch a Sandile and evolve it into a Krokorok and teach it a rock move, I will suffer at the hands of Elesa. She counters all your starters easily,(fuck you whoever came up with Electric/Flying), and then she heals as volt switches her Emolgas to laugh at your face. OMG!!!! Currently I'm playing Pokemon Black/White again and Elesa is next on the list. Yippee.....

Yeah. And speaking of Pokemon, I can't let the first battles with Commander Mars and Commander Jupiter go unmentioned, since they have an underleveled Purugly and Skuntank, respectively, well before the Pokemon that would evolve into either are supposed to evolve (which is in the 30s). Both also have only ONE WEAKNESS! (which is especially bad in the case of Skuntank since the one type it's weak to has no good moves you could hope to use at that early point in the game).

When it comes to Gym Leaders, there is only one name that sends shivers into the deepest abyss of my soul to awaken fears of days long past. And that would be Misty.

It's the second gym and she just has to send in a powerhouse like Starmie. It's most notable attribute is that it's one of the fastest Pokemon in the first generation, with it's speed being only surpassed by the likes Electrode, Joltreon and Mewtwo, but it's very powerful all around. It's Bubblebeam annihilates any opposition before it can even move and the noise it made back then was absolutely horrifying and usually accompanied by the cry of a fallen Pokemon.

Edited by BrightBow

did misty become easier in fire red because i didn't have any trouble

maybe it's because i chose bulbasaur

The toughest gym leader (or leaders in this case) for me by far are Tate and Liza in Emerald.

Screw that Claydol Xatu combination. The Earthquakes, the Calm Minds... everything about that was evil and awful.

I only owned Emerald, so I was actually really surprised in ORAS when they had their crappy space rock team.

When it comes to Gym Leaders, there is only one name that sends shivers into the deepest abyss of my soul to awaken fears of days long past. And that would be Misty.

It's the second gym and she just has to send in a powerhouse like Starmie. It's most notable attribute is that it's one of the fastest Pokemon in the first generation, with it's speed being only surpassed by the likes Electrode, Joltreon and Mewtwo, but it's very powerful all around. It's Bubblebeam annihilates any opposition before it can even move and the noise it made back then was absolutely horrifying and usually accompanied by the cry of a fallen Pokemon.

My first time playing Pokemon I chose Charmander. Regret.

The toughest gym leader (or leaders in this case) for me by far are Tate and Liza in Emerald.

Screw that Claydol Xatu combination. The Earthquakes, the Calm Minds... everything about that was evil and awful.

I only owned Emerald, so I was actually really surprised in ORAS when they had their crappy space rock team.

Yeah, they were way easier in OR. I was also underlevel in Emerald, (with a level 70 Blaziken :u) so I tried to beat them with a level ~40 Mightyena.

Did not work so well.

For Gym Leaders I would say Whitney,but I have learned that Geodudes can easily stop her Miltank.I say Steven and his Mega Metagross are worse.I managed to tank it with a Masquerain during my first fight,but the second time,he wasn't having it.Also,it's level 80-81 in the rematch.You have to be prepared of you want the Sinnoh starters.

EDIT Oh, completely forgot Vagullion from Ys 1 (Complete/Chronicles) on Nightmare. Worst boss ever.

Echoing this. I haven't tried Nightmare but he's a colossal pain even on the lower difficulties.

To elaborate to those who don't know, Vanguillon spends most of the fight as a swarm of bats. You can't damage him, but he can damage you, and it's very hard to avoid all of the bats. The only way you can hurt him is when the swarm coalesces into a single form, but the window to damage him is INCREDIBLY narrow. And even with the best possible equipment, you can't do very much damage at a time.

He's also a pain in the PCE version. There, he doesn't give the red swirl to indicate when he's about to coalesce, so it can be even harder to damage him. Though at least you can grind more than in the Chronicles version.

Edited by shinpichu

While we're talking about Pokemon, I'd say Flannery, if you didn't pick Mudkip, since good Waters are virtually nonexistent at that point in the game (though the real problem is her Torkoal, which doesn't curl up and die even to Water attacks; also, in RSE, even if you did have Mudkip, chances are it's male, which means gender ratio fucks you over.). And then there's Lucian, especially in DP because of that goddamn Bronzong.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

The three toughest trainers in pokemon for me:

-The gym leader in G/S with the miltank.

-Ghestis (sp?) in B/W. His hydreigon completely destroyed me the first time. The second time, I used some stat buffing and x [stat] items to stack a pokemon before he got a chance to deploy his second pokemon and swept his team.

-Gary in Pokemon blue. I played that game with a solo bulbasaur and I couldn't get past his charizard. My bro actually traded me his mewtwo so I didn't have to level my venasaur up enough for it to take three hits of flamethrower or w/e.

I probably could have beaten him by just stocking up on healing potions with E4 winnings and running his charizard's PP out.

Why would Misty become easier with Charmander?

Also who did you pick for Gen3 because Swampert's surf/waterfall is great for destroying most of their pokemon

While we're talking about Pokemon, I'd say Flannery, if you didn't pick Mudkip, since good Waters are virtually nonexistent at that point in the game (though the real problem is her Torkoal, which doesn't curl up and die even to Water attacks; also, in RSE, even if you did have Mudkip, chances are it's male, which means gender ratio fucks you over.). And then there's Lucian, especially in DP because of that goddamn Bronzong.

When I tried picking Treecko I found the flying gym a lot harder than the Flannery, mainly because you have the exact same thing with fire pokemon (I ended up using Castform)

Um... The boss you fight on top of Prison Island (the second time you go there) in Xenoblade. Urgh, he sucked....

There's also that boss you fight in DQ6, the one before you can unlock Jobs. The one at the end of Part I (I cannot remember his name sadly.) I still haven't beaten him...

Um... The boss you fight on top of Prison Island (the second time you go there) in Xenoblade. Urgh, he sucked....

There's also that boss you fight in DQ6, the one before you can unlock Jobs. The one at the end of Part I (I cannot remember his name sadly.) I still haven't beaten him...

I think you mean murdaw.

When I tried picking Treecko I found the flying gym a lot harder than the Flannery, mainly because you have the exact same thing with fire pokemon (I ended up using Castform)

Bold: What exactly do you mean? Because I am not sure what you're talking about.

Edited by Levant Colthearts