Kind of Scared of Jugdral *help for a snes noob*

FE_Joshua

Okay so I have played all fire emblem games excluding the Jugdral saga. The reason being is they are very intimidating as I here they are very punishing to the uninformed. So i guess what I am asking is any tips for a newbie. Im not sure if we are allowed to discuss fan translations but does anybody have a link to one for either game (if we aren't supposed to discuss them just don't mention it.)

Linking ROMs is a forum no-no, but they aren't too hard to find on your own (hope you have a good antivirus program, ROM sites tend to be minefields of malware).

I myself have only played FE4 of the Jugdral games, so I'll give you the advice of make sure you set aside plenty of time. Most chapters take 2-3 hours to complete. And remember to pair your units.

This thread in the general fire emblem boards should have links for most Jp only games translation patches

For FE4 i remember there being a few different patches but afair the only differences between most of them are the naming conventions?

The only issues regarding the translation i remember are the spouses castle dialogue and the ending being completely messed up

Also the random opening scenes

Also i think there was some problem with either soft or hardpatching i can't remember well which one it was

For the game itself i recommend you try not to look into much stuff honestly, the game gets quite easy when you know what to do and most fixed stuff should be good enough

Just remember the "Talk" part in the characters screens mean they can have a conversation with the character in it, which can sometimes result in getting some item, increase in love points, permanent increase in stats, etc.

Units don't die in the arena, remaining with 1 hp instead and it's there to be used and abused

You can save on each player phase before moving any of your units so if you don't use save states make good use of this

If you really don't want to dive in blind the sf page for the game has all the info you could want

I haven't played much of FE5, but I remember the battle preview window being a bit messed up so looking up the order things appear in it and keeping that in mind might be good idea

Also keep in mind FE5 has 3 different ROMs that you might have so make sure you're using the patch for the right one

Edited by Tonton

Linking ROMs is a forum no-no, but they aren't too hard to find on your own (hope you have a good antivirus program, ROM sites tend to be minefields of malware).

I myself have only played FE4 of the Jugdral games, so I'll give you the advice of make sure you set aside plenty of time. Most chapters take 2-3 hours to complete. And remember to pair your units.

Thanks for the warning about rooms as while I've used this site forever I just joined the forums today.

And 2-3 hours? That sounds rather intimidating

This thread in the general fire emblem boards should have links for most Jp only games translation patches

For FE4 i remember there being a few different patches but afair the only differences between most of them are the naming conventions?

The only issues regarding the translation i remember are the spouses castle dialogue and the ending being completely messed up

Also the random opening scenes

Also i think there was some problem with either soft or hardpatching i can't remember well which one it was

For the game itself i recommend you try not to look into much stuff honestly, the game gets quite easy when you know what to do and most fixed stuff should be good enough

Just remember the "Talk" part in the characters screens mean they can have a conversation with the character in it, which can sometimes result in getting some item, increase in love points, permanent increase in stats, etc.

Units don't die in the arena, remaining with 1 hp instead and it's there to be used and abused

You can save on each player phase before moving any of your units so if you don't use save states make good use of this

If you really don't want to dive in blind the sf page for the game has all the info you could want

I haven't played much of FE5, but I remember the battle preview window being a bit messed up so looking up the order things appear in it and keeping that in mind might be good idea

Also keep in mind FE5 has 3 different ROMs that you might have so make sure you're using the patch for the right one

Wow thanks a lot for he in depth info and especially for the link to the fan translations

And 2-3 hours? That sounds rather intimidating

Don't worry about the length. For one thing, you can save at the beginning of each turn, as long as you haven't moved any units. And those saves are permanent. But more importantly, it's basically more a case of several chapters taking place on a single large map. And the individual parts of the chapter are nicely separated by the conquest of a castle, so that's always a good time to drop a save.

One word of warning, though. There is no Restart Chapter function. So make sure to keep an separate save for the very beginning of the chapter, just in case you saved at a bad spot mid chapter.

Edited by BrightBow

FE4 takes really long to finish but is really, really easy past chapter 1. It's really only "intimidating" because of the prologue and first chapter, the rest is pretty simple once you've gotten into it.

Just... look up the "secret events" whenever you reach a new chapter. Especially chapter 1.

FE4 takes really long to finish but is really, really easy past chapter 1. It's really only "intimidating" because of the prologue and first chapter, the rest is pretty simple once you've gotten into it.

Just... look up the "secret events" whenever you reach a new chapter. Especially chapter 1.

Reptor and Blume would like a word with you.

Edited by momogeek2141

The final chapter is pretty tough. Especially with the evil Pegasus Trio you have to deal with.

The prologue and first chapter of FE4 are pretty easy if you ask me. IMO the only hard part of ch 1 is recruiting a certain character. Edited by Severian

The prologue I only mentioned since you'll have to get used to the gameplay. It's simple once you do.

Chapter 1 has that recruitment, but also those two characters who join at the beginning. If you forget about them for a single turn, you're gonna have to do some crazy shit for them to live. Or reset. And redoing turns takes quite a while in FE4.

Also, I found the final chapter easy. Like, really easy. The only part of the second half I found even remotely difficult is chapter 9, with the character recruitments. Aside from that it's easy since the game tosses so many good units at you.

The only really annoying thing in the second half is status staves, but those are more time-consuming than actually adding difficulty.

Edited by maybe

The prologue I only mentioned since you'll have to get used to the gameplay. It's simple once you do.

Chapter 1 has that recruitment, but also those two characters who join at the beginning. If you forget about them for a single turn, you're gonna have to do some crazy shit for them to live. Or reset. And redoing turns takes quite a while in FE4.

Also, I found the final chapter easy. Like, really easy. The only part of the second half I found even remotely difficult is chapter 9, with the character recruitments. Aside from that it's easy since the game tosses so many good units at you.

The only really annoying thing in the second half is status staves, but those are more time-consuming than actually adding difficulty.

Reptor and Blume would like a word with you.

The best tip nobody tells you about FE4 is to not use all the characters even though there's no character deployment limit. It makes everything take a ton more time, particularly doing the arena pre-chapter, and realistically you're not going to be using most of them very much anyways. Pick some units and stick to them, like you would in other games.

You can still do pairings even with unused characters for the full experience if you want.

I've always heard doing it that way is a lot easier, but I've never tried it myself. The only problem I can see with that is you're not going to know who's good and who's not on a first playthrough.

• 3 weeks later...

The best tip nobody tells you about FE4 is to not use all the characters even though there's no character deployment limit. It makes everything take a ton more time, particularly doing the arena pre-chapter, and realistically you're not going to be using most of them very much anyways. Pick some units and stick to them, like you would in other games.

You can still do pairings even with unused characters for the full experience if you want.

I agree with this except I would still do pre-chapter arena for every character, even the ones you aren't using, just for a slightly better ranking. Also, as tedious as it may be, doing that will get a lot more gold at your disposal, allowing you to more easily get and repair the more expensive stuff, like holy weapons.

1. DO NOT go into Thracia 776 blind. It is the single hardest game I have ever played. I attempted to do a blind no reset LP of it on YouTube before discontinuing my channel. Upon restarting and playing it again, I realized a no reset run of that game is a terrible idea, as I have spent entire days trying to complete single chapters with everyone alive. Even masters of the strategy genre can atest to the difficulty of this game. FE4 is far more forgiving, and is much easier than the other old school Fire Emblem games.

2. Play Thracia 776 on Elite/Paragon mode. Trust me, you'll need the double experience.

Other than that the other guys gave some good advice so just have fun. Also, avoid spoilers for FE4. Obviously.