So about the children in IF

AJJ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much when two people have an S-support with each other, the mother gives birth to the child but sees shadowy figures in the house, so they put the children in the hyperbolic time chamber a another dimension where time flows a lot faster and they come back all grown up.

Pretty much when two people have an S-support with each other, the mother gives birth to the child but sees shadowy figures in the house, so they put the children in the hyperbolic time chamber a another dimension where time flows a lot faster and they come back all grown up.

In short, they're non-canon and only there as a mechanic because it was popular in Awakening.

Which I'm thankful for, mind you, I'm glad they had no impact on the story.

In short, they're non-canon and only there as a mechanic because it was popular in Awakening.

Which I'm thankful for, mind you, I'm glad they had no impact on the story.

Even if they didn't tie it to the main story, I wish they would have given a competent excuse for the children. Like "These are kids from another dimension that you WOULD HAVE HAD if there wasn't a super big war going on". Them being non-cannon doesn't excuse awful writing.

[spoiler=barely spoilers but I should still mark it anyway]

I'm really glad they're non-canon, because I didn't like them a lot in Awakening. That seems almost dumber than time travel though?

[spoiler=barely spoilers but I should still mark it anyway]

I'm really glad they're non-canon, because I didn't like them a lot in Awakening. That seems almost dumber than time travel though?

Yeah kinda, they could've done better. But it would've been lame if they did the same thing twice in a row so it doesn't bother me too much.

Easy Bake Fate Babies

A little batter + Love + A hyper time dimension = A new little foot soldier

I don't mind the return of the S-ranks really although I would have liked a sort of epilogue wrap up instead of kids considering how aside from adding some extra muscle have no bearing on the plot what so ever.

I wish this was fake, but sadly, this is actually the explanation they give

Easy Bake Fate Babies

A little batter + Love + A hyper time dimension = A new little foot soldier

I don't mind the return of the S-ranks really although I would have liked a sort of epilogue wrap up instead of kids considering how aside from adding some extra muscle have no bearing on the plot what so ever.

Yeah, I agree fully.

I loved the child mechanic in Awakening, but I really really really didn't need it to come back in Fates. To me, it was a mechanic that only works for specific stories, and that it should be saved for the games that happen to fit the mechanic. Either be it a time skip like FE4 or time travel like in Awakening (which, going to be honest, I don't get why people treat the time travel in Awakening like it makes no sense. As time travel stories go, Awakening's is one of the most coherent I've seen), those type of things work for the 2ed gens. If the story being told doesn't work for 2ed gens, then for the love of god IS, don't have them in the game.

Edited by TheWerdna

One of the problems with removing children is that gameplay-wise children is really the only vaguely complex grinding/customizing mechanic they have. So, to people who enjoy building up units and grinding in Awakening (which is something pretty different from the traditional FE experience, which is why there isn't really any other system focused on it) removing children would remove one of the main reasons to do that in FE.

Even if they didn't tie it to the main story, I wish they would have given a competent excuse for the children. Like "These are kids from another dimension that you WOULD HAVE HAD if there wasn't a super big war going on". Them being non-cannon doesn't excuse awful writing.

Perhaps in the NA and Europe version? Why not? You gave a very good excuse to give them a reason to be in this game.

One of the problems with removing children is that gameplay-wise children is really the only vaguely complex grinding/customizing mechanic they have. So, to people who enjoy building up units and grinding in Awakening (which is something pretty different from the traditional FE experience, which is why there isn't really any other system focused on it) removing children would remove one of the main reasons to do that in FE.

With the buddy/marriage seal system, I disagree.

I need to say that even if I like the fact children showed up again I would like if they had a diferent explanation for being there. Heck! When I first heard about a second gen I thought it would be like in Genealogy! Wich if I may say should be that way if children ever appear in FE again. However if they appear again without the first gen dying out then time travel it is!

Edited by Yari

That would be the case, but then they turned and torpedoed the hell out of it. [streetpass/My Castle renders discussion regarding Skill inheritance POINTLESS. Mods and final class access are hell of a lot simpler than skillbuild- and it won't take much to set things up].

Fates is really... really bad with this.

I keep seeing people say they aren't canon......What makes them non-canon, exactly? The fact that they're optional? I don't see anyone arguing that Mozume isn't canon.

I always assumed that the DLC in Awakening was non-canon, because the idea of it being canon was just so silly to me...

but then Inigo and Owain had to go and reference the scramble pack in their A-support.

Edited by Zachmac

The only reason im totally ok with the children being a thing is because they are completely optional. To the point where you dont even need to get them to enjoy the story. Unlike Awakening which forces your lord unit to marry before a certain time so Lucina can happen.

I didn`t like children returning at first, but after seeing their designs I think they are pretty great and their personalities sound fun. I kinda like the expaination for them because I like stories revolving around alternate dimensions, even though it has a lot of plot holes.

The only thing that really irks me is the fact that the mothers actually get pregnant, which is very disturbing considering Elise and Sakura are only 12-14 at best. (Which is the reason they will never get an S-Support in my runs)

I keep seeing people say they aren't canon......What makes them non-canon, exactly? The fact that they're optional? I don't see anyone arguing that Mozume isn't canon.

I always assumed that the DLC in Awakening was non-canon, because the idea of it being canon was just so silly to me...

but then Inigo and Owain had to go and reference the scramble pack in their A-support.

Because the children being shoved into alternate worlds where time flows faster, where they occasionally get visited by their parents even though they're in the middle of a war and it all happens offscreen is a little hard to accept as canon. Not to mention you have to accept instantaneous pregnancies and...well, uh...pre-teen parenthood, in some cases.

Because the children being shoved into alternate worlds where time flows faster, where they occasionally get visited by their parents even though they're in the middle of a war and it all happens offscreen is a little hard to accept as canon. Not to mention you have to accept instantaneous pregnancies and...well, uh...pre-teen parenthood, in some cases.

This is my main gripe.

I mean, at least in Awakening the children are more then likely born when the characters(Specifically Lissa and Ricken)Are over 18.However here, we are expected that Sakura and Elise(Who are more then likely 13-15)can marry men who are way older(Like Zero or Saizou who are most definitely not any younger then 25)and during war mind you, have time to have sex, conceive a child, pop out said child and send them away to an alternate universe where time travels faster and be expected to not have any thoughts about that is basically rape.The only male in this game who looks anything younger then 18 is Tsukuyomi(Who only Sakura can marry.Elise has no one around that age to marry) and despite that, it is still uggggggg....

Rant over.

Edited by Azz01

This is my main gripe.

I mean, at least in Awakening the children are more then likely born when the characters(Specifically Lissa and Ricken)Are over 18.However here, we are expected that Sakura and Elise(Who are more then likely 13-15)can marry men who are way older(Like Zero or Saizou who are most definitely not any younger then 25)and during war mind you, have time to have sex, conceive a child, pop out said child and send them away to an alternate universe where time travels faster and be expected to not have any thoughts about that is basically rape.The only male in this game who looks anything younger then 18 is Tsukuyomi(Who only Sakura can marry.Elise has no one around that age to marry) and despite that, it is still uggggggg....

Rant over.

Hey now, you also forgot about Midoriko who seems to be the youngest of them all; she can be Kanna's mother!

That is so wrong on so many levels.

Hey now, you also forgot about Midoriko who seems to be the youngest of them all; she can be Kanna's mother!

That is so wrong on so many levels.

Pretty much.And people thought the incest was bad.(And incest is not even in the game unless you count cousin x cousin)

I actually like this system, since it works perfectly with how I imagine the world(or worlds) Nintendo games take place on to be. I didn't like the kids returning at first, but in all honesty, I liked them in Awakening because they made the pairings feel like they meant something, and didn't make you feel like you just waited a bunch of turns for 4 lines of text in the ending. Sure, this reason is bullcrap incarnate, but I've seen much worse explanation for things in games that ruined the game completely.PLVSPW, I'm looking at you. This at least, can be completely ignored if you don't like this bit.

Pretty much.And people thought the incest was bad.(And incest is not even in the game unless you count cousin x cousin)

Which really isn't bad at all but the underage girls being hooked up with grown ass men? Yeah..............If any characters needed VERY limited S-support options(or none all) it would be these two.

Which really isn't bad at all but the underage girls being hooked up with grown ass men? Yeah..............If any characters needed VERY limited S-support options(or none all) it would be these two.

I agree.

While I will be marrying off everyone and getting all the children for the sake of completion, I am not happy with how they integrated children.While in some cases, I do not feel as bad for cradle robbing since the children actually grew up in our time and are not babies in our time(Well, the exceptions being the younger looking ones such as Kisaragi, Midorikoa and Lutz), I still don't like how every time a child is born between the aforementioned characters, it is pretty much rape.While I can condone incest to an extent, I cannot condone rape, regardless if it is consensual between the two parties, if they are underage I still see it as wrong.

(I feel like I am completely derailing this topic.Sorry if I am.Mods feel free to delete my posts if this gets out of hand)