So about the children in IF

AJJ

I can't even imagine a Fire Emblem without incest and lolicon pandering! Oh wait, yes I can.

[spoiler=IS, please]maxresdefault_zpsd2fgggpp.jpg

Maybe Midoriko is actually 4,000 years old...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even imagine a Fire Emblem without incest and lolicon pandering! Oh wait, yes I can.

[spoiler=IS, please]maxresdefault_zpsd2fgggpp.jpg

Maybe Midoriko is actually 4,000 years old...

Sadly, there's no dragon blood, no mystical curse, no tricks, no nothing. She's a child.

I know you were kidding, but I almost thought about romancing her before I noticed her speech pattern, which took longer for me due to my poor Japanese. Her voice didn't give her away because half the female cast sounds like her.

All the waifu designs I like feel so wasted. Midoriko is a child, Sakura's your sister, Pieri's the non-funny kind of insane, Oboro's voice makes me want to shoot myself and Velour is furry bait.

Waifu Emblem pls.

Edited by Thane

Sadly, there's no dragon blood, no mystical curse, no tricks, no nothing. She's a child.

I know you were kidding, but I almost thought about romancing her before I noticed her speech pattern, which took longer for me due to my poor Japanese. Her voice didn't give her away because half the female cast sounds like her.

All the waifu designs I like feel so wasted. Midoriko is a child, Sakura's your sister, Pieri's the non-funny kind of insane, Oboro's voice makes me want to shoot myself and Velour is furry bait.

Waifu Emblem pls.

To be fair, ignoring the implication of injecting your underaged sister with baby batter (haha, as if THAT was the most audacious thing in the game!), she's the most realistic sibling to fall for Kamui. Unlike the Nohrian siblings who you always knew and Ryoma + Hinoka who still remember you, Sakura only just met you. So... it's not quite as bad... as it could be.

Who bets the US localization will full off the excuse of "oh, they're ACTUALLY 18 years old [in this localization of the game, that is]" (i.e., arbitrarily adjusting their "official" age, just like how the Bravely Default characters got three years added to their ages elevating them to 18 or older).

And then the excuse could continue "Oh, they just look young for their age!"

It would be ridiculously transparent and lacking in credibility, but I can totally see that happening.

Tbh, I only consider children a gameplay mechanic (despite their backstories; it's simply a matter of my skewed perspective), so I have no qualms with marrying off kids to adults for support boosts or classes, haha.

Edited by Minischew

To be fair, ignoring the implication of injecting your underaged sister with baby batter (haha, as if THAT was the most audacious thing in the game!), she's the most realistic sibling to fall for Kamui. Unlike the Nohrian siblings who you always knew and Ryoma + Hinoka who still remember you, Sakura only just met you. So... it's not quite as bad... as it could be.

Yeaaaah...still pushing that incest fetish button pretty hard. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that given that it's all fiction, and she didn't in fact grow up with Kamui, as you said, but we both know why they let you marry her.

She's still totes adorbs though!

a14.gif

Who bets the US localization will full off the excuse of "oh, they're ACTUALLY 18 years old [in this localization of the game, that is]" (i.e., arbitrarily adjusting their "official" age, just like how the Bravely Default characters got three years added to their ages elevating them to 18 or older).

And then the excuse could continue "Oh, they just look young for their age!"

It would be ridiculously transparent and lacking in credibility, but I can totally see that happening.

Unless I'm mistaken, their ages are never stated outright in the game, so I'd guess that what they'll do is have them act mature enough so that it doesn't sound the alarm like what happened with Ricken.

Yeaaaah...still pushing that incest fetish button pretty hard. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that given that it's all fiction, and she didn't in fact grow up with Kamui, as you said, but we both know why they let you marry her.

a14.gif

That is to cute.I shall steel that for my sig now.

Tbh, I only consider children a gameplay mechanic (despite their backstories; it's simply a matter of my skewed perspective), so I have no qualms with marrying off kids to adults for support boosts or classes, haha.

Exactly. They simply just exist as a piece of data for me to mess around with. They arent really even in the story, so there ya go. Hence why i stopped caring about whether or not the kids make sense. I honestly cannot be arsed about the wacky shit in this game. Too much of it is hella fun anyway. Time to just deal with it and move on.

Time travel is a better excuse for children than whatever it is in Fates. I mean, why would you have kids in the middle of war? Why can you marry and impregnate underaged girls? It just makes the 1st gen characters seem irresponsible, especially since that they leave their children secluded and alone in some realm (correct me if I'm wrong).

Time travel is a better excuse for children than whatever it is in Fates. I mean, why would you have kids in the middle of war? Why can you marry and impregnate underaged girls? It just makes the 1st gen characters seem irresponsible, especially since that they leave their children secluded and alone in some realm (correct me if I'm wrong).

They visit them frequently, enough to recognize them and have histories and relationships with their kids. There is also presumably somebody raising them.

Still, literally all of them end up in danger and are enlisted into the army so prehaps this still isn't the most responsible decision.

I wonder why there are children at all in this world when you can stuff your kids in a magic space town to grow up and come back independent.

This is definitely not canon, though. The way it is implemented in-game is very hand-wavey and silly.

a14.gif

Wait, is that scene in the game? I don't remember that.

Yes, it's exactly as you described. 1st gen parents are objectively terrible people for what they do to their kids. Kamui's scumbag level rises to infinity if you marry Midoriko because you knocked up your own retainer's very VERY underage daughter and then sent your daughter off to a secluded realm where she'd rarely get to see her parents. IS sure likes child abuse.

Wait, is that scene in the game? I don't remember that.

Yes, it's exactly as you described. 1st gen parents are objectively terrible people for what they do to their kids. Kamui's scumbag level rises to infinity if you marry Midoriko because you knocked up your own retainer's very VERY underage daughter and then sent your daughter off to a secluded realm where she'd rarely get to see her parents. IS sure likes child abuse.

It is in the third path.

And yes, IS has went really far with this game in terms of pleasing people of all fetishism.

The only thing that really irks me is the fact that the mothers actually get pregnant, which is very disturbing considering Elise and Sakura are only 12-14 at best. (Which is the reason they will never get an S-Support in my runs)

Woah. O_o That's disturbing for those little girls. I think I like Awakening's time travel thing more, though like others have mentioned, it would be lame to do that same thing again.

On the upside, this blows down the wall and possibly lets IS take it easy and just remake FE4 and release that. (It'd be able to run very well on Awakening's engine, keep some of the Waifu features, and just generally be a really damn good game... because it's 4. Which is.)

Because there's nothing in Genealogy-- EVEN PROTOTYPE Genealogy that'd remain "too objectionable" when looked at next to Fates- which is very much getting an NA/EU release, and really there's so much entwined into the gameplay and marketing, they can't get away with butchery.

What defines something as canon? Can having an incredibly flawed, stupid explanation alone really make something not canon?

...Ugh, I'm kind of hoping the localization team just says "time travel" again. It's flawed, but at least it's not as flawed.

Waifu Emblem pls.

actually if her mothers a royal she does have Dragon blood as she can use Dragon vein.

actually if her mothers a royal she does have Dragon blood as she can use Dragon vein.

I'm well aware.

That doesn't even remotely begin to excuse it though. Midoriko, Elise and Sakura should really have been off-limits.

To everyone complaining why they would have kids in the middle of a war: You are fighting for your life most of the time and when you don't, you are miserable over the living conditions during the march. You don't know if you will ever see your home or your family again and you don't know if you will get the luxury of building your own family. Your life could end with just an arrow slotting down your eye or a sword strike opening up your veins or even simple diseases wearing you down so that all remains of you is a husk. It's not that they are having kids, it's that they are having kids. There is a good reason why most medieval armies were made of just men and why they had camp followers with women in it.

That said, the reason of how the kids grow up is ridiculous, not to mention that the girls still have to be pregnant for 9 months. In RL medieval times, many girls were pre-teen and impregnated, but I doubt IS thought about that and just went with fanservice.

To everyone complaining why they would have kids in the middle of a war: You are fighting for your life most of the time and when you don't, you are miserable over the living conditions during the march. You don't know if you will ever see your home or your family again and you don't know if you will get the luxury of building your own family. Your life could end with just an arrow slotting down your eye or a sword strike opening up your veins or even simple diseases wearing you down so that all remains of you is a husk. It's not that they are having kids, it's that they are having kids. There is a good reason why most medieval armies were made of just men and why they had camp followers with women in it.

That said, the reason of how the kids grow up is ridiculous, not to mention that the girls still have to be pregnant for 9 months. In RL medieval times, many girls were pre-teen and impregnated, but I doubt IS thought about that and just went with fanservice.

See, the problem with that argument is that Fire Emblem, alongside the majority of medieval fantasies, is incredibly romanticized. Things like diseases spreading in camps, personal hygiene, supplies etc are skimmed over almost entirely because it's often more fun to follow quirky supermodels rather than sick, dirty and miserable people having sex to relieve tension - I think that could've been an interesting element, but Fire Emblem is not the series for that. You can't compare real life to a series like this.

Besides, I think most people have complained primarily about how the children are raised more than the fact that they have a child in the middle of a war. The pregnancy is also seemingly instantaneous, which should really make Elise, Sakura and Midoriko unable to have S-supports.

It's just a mechanic that shouldn't be taken seriously, but the implications are unfortunate.

Edited by Thane

What defines something as canon? Can having an incredibly flawed, stupid explanation alone really make something not canon?

Easy rule: Official=Canon.

Even if it seems ass-backwards, official stuff is almost always canon.

And for video games, optional content is almost always canon, unless it's just conflicting with other canon. [i.E. FE7's S rank ending conflicts with FE6 [and Mark not existing conflicts with FE:A's DLC, which FE:F confirms as canon], so obviously S-ranking FE7 isn't canon] Games > Other media, New > Old in the case of direct conflicts.

Edited by Airship Canon

Besides, I think most people have complained primarily about how the children are raised more than the fact that they have a child in the middle of a war. The pregnancy is also seemingly instantaneous, which should really make Elise, Sakura and Midoriko unable to have S-supports.

It's just a mechanic that shouldn't be taken seriously, but the implications are unfortunate.

This. It's absurd that Midoriko could be a mother and even worse that she could have anything close to a normal mother/child relationship. But kids having kids is okay. Kana is uguu cute afterall.

And for video games, optional content is almost always canon, unless it's just conflicting with other canon. [i.E. FE7's S rank ending conflicts with FE6 [and Mark not existing conflicts with FE:A's DLC, which FE:F confirms as canon], so obviously S-ranking FE7 isn't canon] Games > Other media, New > Old in the case of direct conflicts.

All this tells me is that Awakening and Fates did a lot to fuck up their own canon and the series as a whole for the sake of fanservice.

It was actually a rhetorical question, and this was the exact point I was trying to make. The fact that these explanations are incredibly stupid doesn't change that they're canon, no matter how often people protest. That's why I hate them so much.

All this tells me is that Awakening and Fates did a lot to fuck up their own canon and the series as a whole for the sake of fanservice.

Oh don't worry, they came up with a brilliant, creative, and totally original way of justifying things; parallel dimensions.

Ever run out of uses on your Book of Naga or Ragnell? Don't worry, I'm sure the Deadlords have a spare! Just hop through the magic portal and swipe one from them!

Edited by Zachmac

See, the problem with that argument is that Fire Emblem, alongside the majority of medieval fantasies, is incredibly romanticized. Things like diseases spreading in camps, personal hygiene, supplies etc are skimmed over almost entirely because it's often more fun to follow quirky supermodels rather than sick, dirty and miserable people having sex to relieve tension - I think that could've been an interesting element, but Fire Emblem is not the series for that. You can't compare real life to a series like this.

I understand your point, it's more of a response to people that are baffled why you make kids in war. FE4 did a pretty good job covering it after all.

We don't really know the age of Elise, Sakura and Midoriko right? I imagine them of being around their early teenage years. Girls can get pregnant as early as 12 years old after all.

Don't misunderstand, in no way do I encourage this at all. I am not fond of it either.