So about the children in IF

AJJ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks that, Elise and Sakura are 16?

I thought Sakura was older than Elise not only because of her speech pattern but also because of her general design. However, in-game cutscenes show they're the same height, and while that isn't definitive proof by any means, it is an indicator, especially in a game that's obsessed with sibling symmetry.

They're definitely not 16 though. Elise plays with toys, for example, and she doesn't even come up to Camilla's...well, chest.

I thought Sakura was older than Elise not only because of her speech pattern but also because of her general design. However, in-game cutscenes show they're the same height, and while that isn't definitive proof by any means, it is an indicator, especially in a game that's obsessed with sibling symmetry.

They're definitely not 16 though. Elise plays with toys, for example, and she doesn't even come up to Camilla's...well, chest.

But Midoriko seems to be younger than both of them, and if Sakura and Elise are around 14... then how old would Midoriko be? 11? I personally see the two royal siblings as 15 to 16 as well, and Camilla as a full-fledged adult (i.e. 20-23).

Edited by Minischew

Am I the only one who thinks that, Elise and Sakura are 16?

Don't worry I'm with you buddy. I really think they don't look that young.

But Midoriko seems to be younger than both of them, and if Sakura and Elise are around 14... then how old would Midoriko be? 11? I personally see the two royal siblings as 15 to 16 as well, and Camilla as a full-fledged adult (i.e. 20-23).

She's definitely younger than them, and most likely not even a teenager.

I...still don't think Elise is 14. Sakura, sure, but Elise plays with toys and has other childish traits. Her incredibly creepy romantic skinship quotes seem to reinforce that idea as well. Also, 14-year-olds aren't usually that short, are they? I mean, I know that differs greatly from person to person, but...that short?

d4a.gif

I mean, she's at least two heads shorter than Kamui, and doesn't even come up to Camilla's shoulders.

Sakura is most likely a year or three older than Elise, with Elise being about 12 and Sakura around 15. Midoriko is probably about the same age as Elise I think, she doesn't seem to look or act any younger than her from what I've seen.

She's definitely younger than them, and most likely not even a teenager.

I...still don't think Elise is 14. Sakura, sure, but Elise plays with toys and has other childish traits. Her incredibly creepy romantic skinship quotes seem to reinforce that idea as well. Also, 14-year-olds aren't usually that short, are they? I mean, I know that differs greatly from person to person, but...that short?

d4a.gif

I mean, she's at least two heads shorter than Kamui, and doesn't even come up to Camilla's shoulders.

That's true, but Camilla seems to be taller than the average woman. I feel that even if Elise was the same age as Camilla, she would be a head shorter than the woman. I'm a head shorter than one of my closest friends, so the height discrepancy isn't that surprising for me, haha.

But I don't think her youthful appearance is an indication of her age-- I feel like it's simply pandering to lolicon fans. (But then again, you could argue that they actually did make her younger to satisfy that need; but I don't see that as a necessary tactic when they have Midoriko). Additionally, Pieri is pretty childish, and she's obviously an adult. Like how trauma caused Pieri to revert to such a form, I can't help but wonder if Elise's immaturity also stems from some sort of escapism and denial. After all, Nohr is a pretty shitty place to live in, and she was probably born to a concubine that wasn't the best of mothers.

Edited by Minischew

All this tells me is that Awakening and Fates did a lot to fuck up their own canon and the series as a whole for the sake of fanservice.

"Series as a whole" is stretching it a bit; there's nothing that's affected the older games. However, going forward it has affected the series for the worse; the series has hit the pitfalls of anime and other JRPGs in a bid to increase sales.

Edited by The DanMan

That's true, but Camilla seems to be taller than the average woman. I feel that even if Elise was the same age as Camilla, she would be a head shorter than the woman. I'm a head shorter than one of my closest friends, so the height discrepancy isn't that surprising for me, haha.

But I don't think her youthful appearance is an indication of her age-- I feel like it's simply pandering to lolicon fans. (But then again, you could argue that they actually did make her younger to satisfy that need; but I don't see that as a necessary tactic when they have Midoriko). Additionally, Pieri is pretty childish, and she's obviously an adult. Like how trauma caused Pieri to revert to such a form, I can't help but wonder if Elise's immaturity also stems from some sort of escapism and denial. After all, Nohr is a pretty shitty place to live in, and she was probably born to a concubine that wasn't the best of mothers.

That's true. And I agree that a lot is probably simply loli fan service. However, I don't think her personality has anything to do with growing up in a shitty environment; while she probably had it tough, she still received plenty of love and friends. I think she's just a child. Sakura is more debatable, but she's also so short...it'd make me super uncomfortable if she was like, 12 and wearing those zettai ryouiki tights.

Wow, I feel so dumb creepy debating this.

Edited by Thane

Maybe the two simply don't grow that much? Like they out of all siblings just have some kind of stunted growth? Elise might suffer some kind of syndrome, which makes her mental age grow slower? Or she is simply childish. There are plenty of people out there not acting their age, hence the term "childish".

"Series as a whole" is stretching it a bit; there's nothing that's affected the older games. However, going forward it has affected the series for the worse; the series has hit the pitfalls of anime and other JRPGs in a bid to increase sales.

While it's a tad bit easier to ignore than all the lolicon, incest and other sketchy elements being poured into the series, it still affects other entries in the series. All this "multiverse" and "outrealms" garbage has made the canon relationship between different games ambiguous at best. Awakening is "sorta" canonically tied to Fates. Through DLC, every game in the series is "sorta" related. Canon should never be "Believe whatever you want about the series, lmao".

While it's a tad bit easier to ignore than all the lolicon, incest and other sketchy elements being poured into the series, it still affects other entries in the series. All this "multiverse" and "outrealms" garbage has made the canon relationship between different games ambiguous at best. Awakening is "sorta" canonically tied to Fates. Through DLC, every game in the series is "sorta" related. Canon should never be "Believe whatever you want about the series, lmao".

The franchises of Nintendo has never been known to be orderly or follow a timeline. Even the Zelda timeline that they officially published have several loopholes that can't be explained. At this point, does the word "canon" even matter anymore? Before Fates, it was canon that pegasus knights could only be females, which is now broken in Fates, but the rest of the series will always have that canon.

That's true. And I agree that a lot is probably simply loli fan service. However, I don't think her personality has anything to do with growing up in a shitty environment; while she probably had it tough, she still received plenty of love and friends. I think she's just a child. Sakura is more debatable, but she's also so short...it'd make me super uncomfortable if she was like, 12 and wearing those zettai ryouiki tights.

Wow, I feel so dumb creepy debating this.

Blame IS for the debate.

It just seems like a lot of Nohrian characters grew up under harsh circumstances, which left them a bit stunted. I just figured Elise would probably fall under that category as well, but you're right-- it does seem like she is cared for by the royal siblings and her retainers, so she's probably not void of love.

I still can't get behind the idea that she's that young, if only for the purpose of maintaining sibling symmetry. Sakura doesn't strike me as a 12 year old, so I can't imagine that her counterpart is one either.

About the Sakura/Elise argument...Sakura definitely looks a little older then Elise to me. I can't put an exact number onto either of them, though. Different people grow at slightly different speeds, and age can be an unreliable way of telling how mature someone really is.

My high school band got fused with the advanced middle school band because of budget cuts or whatever, so during the school year, I get to see 7th and 8th graders early. There are 7th graders who could pass off as 5th graders and 8th graders who could pass off as 10th 1graders. Anyway, in build, Sakura looks a bit more like some of the more mature middle schoolers I know, while Elise looks a bit like some of the younger ones. I even know middle schoolers who look as young as Midoriko. But they're all just anime characters, so even can still be pretty deceptive.

Just because someone is 12 doesn't mean that they're as physically or as mentally mature as the average 12-year-old. It's the anatomy that matters.

However, since I'm no expert in impregnation, I can't tell you if any of those three girls are physically mature enough to be impregnated. But saying "Midoriko looks like the least physically-matured 12-year-old girl I know" doesn't necessarily mean she could be pregnant in a somewhat believable realistic-ish world.

tl;dr: Midoriko probably shouldn't be able to have babies. I'm unsure about Elise, though.

Edited by Zachmac

However, since I'm no expert in impregnation, I can't tell you if any of those three girls are physically mature enough to be impregnated. But saying "Midoriko looks like the least physically-matured 12-year-old girl I know" doesn't necessarily mean she could be pregnant in a somewhat believable realistic-ish world.

tl;dr: Midoriko probably shouldn't be able to have babies. I'm unsure about Elise, though.

First thing about a female human being able to get pregnant: they need to have ovulated at least once and do the nasty during the fertile time spam of ovulation they can get pregnant and have a baby. To simplify if a girl has her period she can have a baby and a girl can have her first period with ten years. I know that from experience.

This probably has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to make this clear.

Edited by Yari

First thing about a female human being able to get pregnant: they need to have ovulated at least once and do the nasty during the fertile time spam of ovulation they can get pregnant and have a baby. To simplify if a girl has her period she can have a baby and a girl can have her first period with ten years. I know that from experience.

This probably has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to make this clear.

Well, I've never been an expert in human anatomy, and especially not female anatomy so...er, yeah. I was just going off of rough estimates based off of my extremely limited knowlege.

Maybe Midoriko is old enough...I probably wouldn't know, I shouldn't pretend that I do.

Edited by Zachmac

Well, I've never been an expert in human anatomy, and especially not female anatomy so...er, yeah. I was just going off of rough estimates based off of my extremely limited knowlege.

Maybe Midoriko is old enough...I probably wouldn't know, I shouldn't pretend that I do.

Don't worry I'm just saying it's possible. Even if it's something I'll never ever ever do in game. It's a bit too weird even if I love my lolis.

All this tells me is that Awakening and Fates did a lot to fuck up their own canon and the series as a whole for the sake of fanservice.

It isn't "fanservice" unless we actually like it and pay money for it. Until then, it's simply "bad design." Validation by sales numbers will be the death of this series. Edited by Arch

Honestly I have a feeling when this game is going to be localized, they're going to increase the ages of Elise, Sakura, and Midoriko like they did with some of the characters in FE7 and also Elise's and Sakura's English voices sound way to old for them to be around the age of 12~15.

Edited by I love fire emblem

Honestly I have a feeling when this game is going to be localized, they're going to increase the ages of Elise, Sakura, and Midoriko like they did with some of the characters in FE7 and also Elise's and Sakura's English voices sound way to old for them to be around the age of 12~15.

They probably will and it will be an incredibly barefaced lie. Considering the subtlety of some of the other S-rank supports, I wouldn't be surprised if they inserted some dialogue like "Elise, you're 18 years old!?" "Yup! I just graduated from medieval high school! I hope my diminutive size and the fact that I'm your sister won't dissuade you from having a romantic relationship with me!"

whether it's physically possible or not... ew. i don't want kids having kids. most people shouldn't imo. you could put me in a time machine and send me back four centuries and i would still consider it ew even if it was the norm then lol.

but i'm not a guy. my fetishes only occasionally get pandered to. leoxtakumi otp