Character Hate Thread

Minischew

Least Favorite FE:Fates Character  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least favorite male shared character?

• Asyura
    • Gunter
    • Izana
    • Jakob
    • Kamui (M)
    • Kaze
    • Silas
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite female shared character?

• Azura
    • Felicia
    • Kamui (F)
    • Mozume
  3. 3. Who is your least favorite male Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Asama
    • Hinata
    • Nishiki
    • Ryoma
    • Saizou
    • Subaki
    • Takumi
    • Tsukuyomi
    • Yukimura
    • Arthur
    • Benoit
    • Flannel
    • Lazward
    • Leo
    • Odin
    • Xander
    • Zero
  4. 4. Who is your least favorite female Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Crimson
    • Hana
    • Hinoka
    • Kagerou
    • Oboro
    • Orochi
    • Rinkah
    • Sakura
    • Setsuna
    • Yuugiri
    • Berka
    • Camilla
    • Charlotte
    • Effie
    • Elise
    • Flora
    • Luna
    • Nyx
    • Pieri
  5. 5. Who is your least favorite child character? (max. 3)

• Deere
    • Kanna (M)
    • Kanna (F)
    • Midoriko
    • Shigure
    • Sophie
    • Gurei
    • Hisame
    • Kinu
    • Kisaragi
    • Matoi
    • Mitama
    • Shinonome
    • Syalla
    • Eponine
    • Foleo
    • Ignis
    • Lutz
    • Ophelia
    • Siegbert
    • Soleil
    • Velour

Everything about Aqua. I feel like she has no sense of morality. Judging from the Nohr story it sounds like it's well within her reach to prevent many bad events from happening, and when they go to Touma she still doesn't reveal anything?? I don't understand her, and I'm really not into the romantic undertones between her and Kamui. I'm marrying Zero and am gay as hell sooo I don't need or want a fag hag.

I'm just hoping she ends up being more likeable when the game comes to NoA. Kinda don't want to be eternally annoyed by her in all three stories.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jakob is a gigantic asshole to everyone who isn't named Kamui and I cannot stand him. His S rank supports are basically 'Jakob yells and insults someone until he decides he's horny and she goes along with it for... reasons'.

Tsukuyomi is the worst character in the game for me though. I hate arrogant kid characters who don't have anything to show for it, and he's even worse than usual. Also, while I know it'll be changed in the localization for obvious reasons, his voice makes me want to punch the little brat in the face every time he speaks. I'm actually kind of glad that he's Shara's dad and that you have to give up a kid if you want to marry most of the first gen mothers, it gives me a perfect excuse to leave him single forever. I'm not very fond of creepy yandere stalkers either but I haven't seen enough Shara's character to say whether I really hate her or not in Fates, but it's not looking good from what I have seen.

I'm sure there will be other characters I can't stand as well, but I haven't read enough on everyone. I do like most of the characters in the game quite a lot though, there's just a few really rotten apples in the bunch.

Edited by capmalachi

Oh this is going to take a while um lets see

Ryuma, Takumi, Hinoka, Rinkah, Subaki, Orochi, Asama, Setsuna, Tyskumi, Oboro, Hinata, Yukimura, Gurei, Hisama, mitama, Izana, Asyura, Soliel, Eponine, Lutz, Luna and Odin. (Actually that is most of Hoshido now that I look at it)

Saying I hate all these characters isn't really true, they are just ones that I slightly dislike or find completely uninteresting and will probably avoid using. Except for Luna because she was the biggest bitch in awakening and If she is anything like that as Luna then I Will kill her off

Major third route spoilers

The thing that makes me super mad is...

that in the third route it's revealed that Aqua is your maternal cousin. She's like Chrom in that opposite gender players are encouraged to romance her and then after all that she winds up being the one genuine case of biological incest.

I try to respect the fact that Fates is a Japanese game and thus follows their customs and morality (where cousin romance isn't heavily frown upon iirc) but if you plan on releasing a game internationally I feel like that is something they should have been more mindful about.

(Also I felt the secret connection between her and Kamui being that they were both from the same magical kingdom was more interesting that 'lol cousins')

Sadly, a lot of my gripes with the story come from the villains and the main characters.

Azura is mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. She never grows as her own character, instead only dumps exposition and tells Kamui what to do in every route without ever giving her opinion on the matter. Literally one of the first things she does in the third route is to drop an enormous amount of exposition about Touma and Hydra, which means that the other two routes only happen because she can't talk about it in the outside world, which is such a contrived excuse that it pisses me off; we don't even see her working towards defeating Hydra in the other routes at all. The game seems to even forget she even exists until it's time to find out something new; the fact that she was also kidnapped by Hoshido is such a minor deal for her character that I wonder why they even bothered including it.

Kamui is just a generic self-insert, which might work for some people and in some stories, but this is supposed to be character-driven like no other Fire Emblem game, yet you never feel anything for Kamui. Also, didn't the writer want to up Awakening? Why did he essentially make a Robin without the strategy? I hope that was Intelligent Systems and not the new writer, because I doubt wanting to "outshine Awakening's story" meant "I'm gonna do what you did, but MUCH MORE RADICAL!"

Garon, the man who's essentially the driving force of the game, has no personality or backstory and is not as prominent or complex as he should be. His third route involvement sums up his character perfectly: seen once, then gets teleported to Hydra's side, then eaten. The end.

Iago and Ganz stay in the story for far too long without contributing anything, not even a sense of danger since you know you're going to kill them anyway. The worst part is that it's done in such a way that it makes you wonder why they weren't killed earlier in the first place, seeing as how they both offer absolutely nothing to the story.

While I don't "hate" (I don't "hate" any character, it's too strong a word) the royal siblings, I think that, aside from Leon and Takumi, they were horribly underused and underdeveloped. The only one that really makes me a bit angry is Xander for being a stubborn idiot for a lot of the game, but at least he's got fairly good supports.

Oh, and Pieri bothers me. "I'm gonna kill innocent maids and paint myself in their blood to make myself pretty!" - like, what? Is that supposed to be funny or endearing? It really isn't.

Pieri seems to be "teehee, look at me, I'm crazy and I have crazy hair!" to me.

But I haven't actually played the game; I'm judging mostly on appearance, which has served me ridiculously well in deducing how the characters of this game are gonna be well before I get my hands on the game.

I hate Joker solely for his support with Dia.

I actually really liked him until then.

Now I can't think of him as anything else but a way worse Man-Tharja.

I don't hate anyone. I never hated a single character ever but I guess Marxander is my least favourite I don't think he's as interesting as the rest of the royal siblings and I like all of the other characters more than him. But I still like him just not as much as the rest.

I hate Joker solely for his support with Dia.

I actually really liked him until then.

Now I can't think of him as anything else but a way worse Man-Tharja.

Wow, I hadn't read that one until now but... wow. Most of the time he's just an asshole, but that was straight up abuse.

...I'm kind of annoyed by how some characters getting hated by many. Are you westerners that much different from the Japanese fans? What are you doing here with IS's most Japanese-styled series? (Granted, the older entries did feel less cliché...)

I haven't played enough to say I don't like anyone in particular. Maybe Setsuna for her portrait, but that's design hate, not character hate.

Well,I've seen TONS of Sumia hate in Japanese thread,

and some Japanese began to call Corrin"exeremely naive"...

seems not the "Japanese-styled" thing

===

and well ..Tharja2.0

The reclamation concept bugs me to no end

Edited by shikimi

I dislike Pieri for being a female Henry except far worse

I think I'll pair Joker and Luna together so they can absorb each other's jerkassness

Granted I haven't read any of the supports and I'm just forming my opinion based on things I've heard

Also is Tsukoyomi really just Asian Ricken? I thought he'd be more of a male Lute based on his description

Also is Tsukoyomi really just Asian Ricken? I thought he'd be more of a male Lute based on his description

[spoiler=Tsukuyomi Hate]

Tsukuyomi seems to be much more conceited than Ricken (imo). Ricken just disliked being looked down upon for his age, which is rather understandable; after all, he did have the magical prowess to save Maribelle. Meanwhile, Tsukuyomi just reminds me of those egotistic kids who can't get enough of themselves.

Idk, he seems pretty immature to me, whereas Ricken came across as more childish than immature.

Edited by Minischew

[spoiler=Tsukuyomi Hate]

Tsukuyomi seems to be much more conceited than Ricken (imo). Ricken just disliked being looked down upon for his age, which is rather understandable; after all, he did have the magical prowess to save Maribelle. Meanwhile, Tsukuyomi just reminds me of those egotistic kids who can't get enough of themselves.

Pretty much. I didn't like Ricken but I didn't hate him either. Tsukuyomi on the other hand inspires irrational amounts of rage in me.

The characters I really don't like (hate being too strong a word):

Pieri, because of her shrill voice, and overdone personality that just grates me.

Felicia, another shrill voice. Her personality is way too boring a trope.

Soleil, because well...I don't think I need to elaborate.

Pieri:

She kills her innocent servants that did nothing to her for fun, and it's because of one of her parent's murder? That's pretty much the worst excuse ever. At least Henry had a good excuse to be bloodthirsty since he wants to kill the "bad guys." Though, I have to admit I like her design. She has weird multicolor hair, and her armor looks normal. I was expecting to like her before release, but that's not the case.

Sharja:

She's Tharja 2.0., and I don't need to explain the multiple things that Tharja did that makes me dislike her.

Kamui:

Kamui is just... really naive. They're a typical FE lord. I never even liked a lot of lords to begin with, so I never had high expectations for Kamui.

Hinata:

I find him to be quite annoying, and his stat growths are horrid.

Other than them, I like most of the Fates characters. They're a lot better than the Awakening cast imo.

I'm okay with the Awakening children as adults, but, aside from Matoi/Cordelia, I hate the Awakening adults as children. I realy like Grey's design, but Syalla is just... ugh. I liked Tharja in awakening, because it was something different. She wasn't obsessed with the main character, she was obsessed with a side character. And when fates brought them back, it just made them feel overused. I'm okay with Luna, Odin and Lazward because I never use them in Awakening, and Matoi because

[spoiler=for the third route] You can make Luna her mom in the third route.

Edited by AwesomeSauce

Well,I've seen TONS of Sumia hate in Japanese thread,

and some Japanese began to call Corrin"exeremely naive"...

seems not the "Japanese-styled" thing

===

and well ..Tharja2.0

The reclamation concept bugs me to no end

Well... all of these are actually very valid arguments; expecially the naive part. It's just that the preferences that are different between both sides (see Severa) intrigued me. I thought people going after a largely Japanese-styled series would be more welcoming to those archtypes.

Japanese discussions, especially the 2ch ones, tend to bring out the absolute worst of people. I'm not surprised if they've got their share of hate.

[spoiler=That Tharja thing]...Yeah, never expected to see reincarnation here. It annoys me too, because I get the feeling that it will creep into future storytelling.

On the bright side, haters are people paying attention to the game too.

Soleil, because well...I don't think I need to elaborate.

[spoiler=Soleil Hate]The thing that bothers me about Soleil is that I love her design so, so much, and her personality as well. Her insistence to continue smiling really reminds me that Lazward did a good job at fathering her, and that makes me happy.

But the whole "I LOVE GIRLS SO MUCH I FAINT" thing is... overdone.

[spoiler=Soleil Hate]The thing that bothers me about Soleil is that I love her design so, so much, and her personality as well. Her insistence to continue smiling really reminds me that Lazward did a good job at fathering her, and that makes me happy.

But the whole "I LOVE GIRLS SO MUCH I FAINT" thing is... overdone.

That is what happens when you give a character a single trait. It goes from a amusing to absolutely irritating fast because of how over used it gets.

Hopefully they tone it down in the localization.

I doubt that will happen. They dialed up Inigo's flirtatious attitude and Henry's murderous glee. If anything (esp. since the USA/Europe is more tolerant of such homosexual undertones), they'll make it worse. :(

Edited by Minischew

Hate is a bit of a strong word, but there are several characters I don't care for. Perhaps they're more interested in other supports or during localisation.

Felicia: I don't mind that she's a cutesy, clumsy anime maid, but I do mind that, that single trait seems to be 99% of her character

Soleil: Same deal as with Felicia

I'm not too fond of the awakening clones either. It just seems a bit much to include them in this game.

I watched a lot of the Twitch/Youtube streams but have been keeping most of the support conversations and in game dialogue for the english release so I may change my mind about these characters at a later date (I'm very open with changing my opinions). I am not basing any of my dislike on characters stats, classes or growth rates. These opinions are based more on what I saw of the characters and how they act combined with my own opinion and preferences.

Characters that I don't like:

Pieri:

To be honest, I didn't really like Pieri all too much, I just found her kind of annoying and childish in general. I find myself cringing when I look at her or listen to her (mascara face anyone?) ...

Killing her own servants because she enjoys it/for the heck of it is also a mark against her characters in my opinion. I didn't feel like this behaviour was really well justified. I'm also not a fan of characters speaking in third person. Ughhhh.

Luna:

I didn't really like Severa in Awakening ... I still don't like her/Luna from what I've seen. Yet again I'm (generally) not one for the tsundere character archetype. I might change my mind if she's a little less rude or does something more likeable than in Awakening.

Tsukuyomi:

Ricken 2.0. I hate the whole having to (overbearingly) 'act like a grown up but still act childish at the same time' thing so I didn't really like his character all too much. Every time I see him fall in battle I smile to myself and think 'good' ...

Ganz:

Just. No.

Ok well I can't really leave it at 'Just. No'.

I found Ganz to be brutish and just really cruel (Gunter nooooo) ... I know that's exactly how his character is supposed to be but I just can't find anything that I like, even when I try. I can even find things about Garon that I like or can admire, I just pull up a big blank when I think of Ganz.

Typically I'm one for liking - even adoring the bad guys (Iago being the best example for this game) but Ganz just isn't one of them.

I think that they did a good job of making him dislikable though. I found that he just scared the bejesus out of me. That close up of his demon face thing in chapter 10/13 (?) of Conquest, it got me legitimately frightened.

Ganz is supposed to be disliked, so I guess this is ok. At the very least I can say that I love to hate him.

Bring on 2016 when I can mercilessly destroy him.

Characters that I don't mind but still kinda dislike - "The Fence":

Soliel:

To be honest I don't really mind Soleil all too much. I just think that they pushed the whole 'likes girls fainting' thing too far and made it too central to her character. I want them to keep that quirk in but I really really hope that they tone it down just a little bit in the localised version.

Matoi:

I was (and still am I guess) kind of on the fence with Cordelia in Awakening. I loved her as a unit and I liked a lot of her supports but there were always some quirks with her (elation for Chrom, genius archetype) that put me off slightly. I'm aware that these Fates child units are similar to their Awakening counterparts, which makes me a little anxious about Matoi/Cordelia repeating things that I found slightly off putting. But, hey, if I liked using her as much as I did using Cordelia in Awakening there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Yukimura:

I just didn't really click with his character. It's not that I have any heady dislike for him, I just have nothing much I like about him either. If he got into a fight with Iago (tactician vs. tactician style) I would find myself supporting Iago ... (I know that it would never happen but I would loveeeee to see this as a DLC or something). I think that once I see his supports and dialogue that I'll like him more because he'll be fleshed out a bit. But for now he's on the fence.

Zoura:

Yeah ... Initially I found him super annoying - I even dubbed him 'Wormy Fuck' on the Twitch streams. But, I do think that he redeemed himself a little when he took the dive for Takumi and the group a few times. Eventually I ended up thinking that he was kind of adorable in a dorky way and even felt a bit sad when he died. For now he's still on the fence until the english version comes out and I can judge his character as I play.

R.I.P. Wormy Fuck ... you will be sort of missed.