Character Hate Thread

Minischew

Least Favorite FE:Fates Character  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least favorite male shared character?

• Asyura
    • Gunter
    • Izana
    • Jakob
    • Kamui (M)
    • Kaze
    • Silas
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite female shared character?

• Azura
    • Felicia
    • Kamui (F)
    • Mozume
  3. 3. Who is your least favorite male Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Asama
    • Hinata
    • Nishiki
    • Ryoma
    • Saizou
    • Subaki
    • Takumi
    • Tsukuyomi
    • Yukimura
    • Arthur
    • Benoit
    • Flannel
    • Lazward
    • Leo
    • Odin
    • Xander
    • Zero
  4. 4. Who is your least favorite female Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Crimson
    • Hana
    • Hinoka
    • Kagerou
    • Oboro
    • Orochi
    • Rinkah
    • Sakura
    • Setsuna
    • Yuugiri
    • Berka
    • Camilla
    • Charlotte
    • Effie
    • Elise
    • Flora
    • Luna
    • Nyx
    • Pieri
  5. 5. Who is your least favorite child character? (max. 3)

• Deere
    • Kanna (M)
    • Kanna (F)
    • Midoriko
    • Shigure
    • Sophie
    • Gurei
    • Hisame
    • Kinu
    • Kisaragi
    • Matoi
    • Mitama
    • Shinonome
    • Syalla
    • Eponine
    • Foleo
    • Ignis
    • Lutz
    • Ophelia
    • Siegbert
    • Soleil
    • Velour

I honestly think the only character I dislike (from having read a large portion of translated supports, watching gameplay footage, etc..) is Aqua.

Almost entirely because she's your sibling and the game wants you to screw her. I'll probably be femui just to avoid doing that if it's that bad in the NA/EU release

I mean, Camilla isn't 'that' bad, she's just a little deranged. She even redeems her slightly bad qualities in some supports. But Aqua really just annoys me. Plus the fact that she's completely idiotic throughout the whole plot doesn't help her case at all. Then there's the fact that she's only really good for dancing, and I would rather bring a unit who can kill stuff than bring a unit who can only dance. Dancing and being able to fight are fine, but it looks like Aqua's not got any real combat potential.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think the only character I dislike (from having read a large portion of translated supports, watching gameplay footage, etc..) is Aqua.

Almost entirely because she's your sibling and the game wants you to screw her. I'll probably be femui just to avoid doing that if it's that bad in the NA/EU release

I mean, Camilla isn't 'that' bad, she's just a little deranged. She even redeems her slightly bad qualities in some supports. But Aqua really just annoys me. Plus the fact that she's completely idiotic throughout the whole plot doesn't help her case at all. Then there's the fact that she's only really good for dancing, and I would rather bring a unit who can kill stuff than bring a unit who can only dance. Dancing and being able to fight are fine, but it looks like Aqua's not got any real combat potential.

They're nerfing dancing so much.

But

Isn't Aqua Kamui's first grade cousin? That's not illegal in Japan, hence why every cousin in Jugdral can fuq their cousin.

I don't understand the izana hate .This guy is just a story-telling tool , supposed to get nobody care...

If that were the case, Azura would have zero fans.

LOLOL TRUTH RIGHT HERE. Ah...I don't hate Aqua, but I'm disappointed by her nonsensical plans. To me, they're a glaring plot hole that needed to be fixed but wasn't.

How is it that an arrogant character like Lute is so popular while another arrogant character like Tsukuyomi is so hated?

That's a very good question, I didn't know Lute was even popular. Her dialogue was weird and annoying, and I stopped using her after I realized I could have Saleh instead. In the meantime, until I get him, Artur will do just fine. In regards to Tsukuyomi, I'm wondering if a portion of the hate is because he gives birth to Shara/Syalla. If I was playing the Hoshido route, that would be my number 1 reason to avoid him, tbh.

Exactly. To re-word what I said at the end of my post, Aqua seems to mean "confusing mess" now. She's just meant to be mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. Instead of Nainin, we got Dancina, but worse.

I'm extremely late to this post, and I don't know how I skimmed through it, but IMO, Ninian felt lilke a story telling tool too. She dies only to have Eliwood become depressed and have some drama in the game, then to be lolrevived at the end because of lolquintessence. She is like a walking key to open the Dragon Gate who is also a cute, mysterious, gentle girl, and makes the plot move around. Also a damsel in distress most of the times. What does she actually do by herself?

But if you see more in her death and her character, then feel free to correct me.

I'm extremely late to this post, and I don't know how I skimmed through it, but IMO, Ninian felt lilke a story telling tool too. She dies only to have Eliwood become depressed and have some drama in the game, then to be lolrevived at the end because of lolquintessence. She is like a walking key to open the Dragon Gate who is also a cute, mysterious, gentle girl, and makes the plot move around. Also a damsel in distress most of the times. What does she actually do by herself?

But if you see more in her death and her character, then feel free to correct me.

The distinction between them as far as i can tell is that Ninian is a Walking plot device, While Azura is a walking plot device who actively makes the story worse

To be honest, of all the women who served as lead units from Blazing Blade onward (ignoring Kris, Robin, and Kamui for being Femsheps) I found Elincia to hold up the best.

Lyn is a tutorial character who outstays her tutorial, Eirika gets away with dooming the world, Micaiah is a waste of potential, Lucina is a marketing gimmick who key moments focus on exposition and matricide, and now we have Aqua.

Edited by Alazen

The distinction between them as far as i can tell is that Ninian is a Walking plot device, While Azura is a walking plot device who actively makes the story worse

^Pretty much that.

While Ninian is overall nothing special as a character and was mostly there to fuel the plot (though "damsel in distress" is a bit of an understatement; they were trying to rescue Ninian and Nils), Aqua was hyped-up, got a bunch of shipping with M!Kamui by the plot, ... and she's only there to do provide plot fuel. Aqua is utterly "mysterious" for 2/3 of the routes; heck, she doesn't even have a real relationship with a character (Ninian and Nils had their moments together). Plus, when Aqua's done parroting exposition/delivering a convoluted plan, she just dissapears until needed again.

Lyn is a tutorial character who outstays her tutorial, Eirika gets away with dooming the world, Micaiah is a waste of potential, Lucina is a marketing gimmick who key moments focus on exposition and matricide, and now we have Aqua.

I would say both Lyn and Miciah fall under "wasted potential"; I'm fine with Lyn, but not fine with the way she was handled.

Edited by The DanMan

^Pretty much that.

While Ninian is overall nothing special as a character and was mostly there to fuel the plot (though "damsel in distress" is a bit of an understatement; they were trying to rescue Ninian and Nils), Aqua was hyped-up, got a bunch of shipping with M!Kamui by the plot, ... and she's only there to do provide plot fuel. Aqua is utterly "mysterious" for 2/3 of the routes; heck, she doesn't even have a real relationship with a character (Ninian and Nils had their moments together). Plus, when Aqua's done parroting exposition/delivering a convoluted plan, she just dissapears until needed again.

To add to that, she also proposes ridiculous plans several times in the game's story which I think we're supposed to think are good ideas for whatever reason, since Kamui agrees to them. I mean, Kamui seems to go along with whatever anyone tells him, but it's especially frustrating when Azura's plans are so stupid.

There's also the fact that Azura's inaction more or less allows the two original routes to happen in the first place. She knows pretty much everything of importance from the very start, yet neither in Birthright nor in Conquest does she work towards settling matters in the de facto best way possible.

Of course, then we've also got the whole "distant and almost emotionless" character. That coupled with her knowing everything that's going on, it's almost impossible to get attached to her, since she never develops as a character nor shows any genuine connection to any of the other characters.

I mean, I don't like Ninian or even Blazing Sword in general, but I'd gladly take her over Azura any day.

Micaiah is a waste of potential since she was something we hadn't seen for a Lord before. She was Camus as a Lord. She even committed a war crime.

Unfortunately, she suffered from how she shined in the mess that is the Blood Pact War. And Ike being the ultimate hero of ultimateness. It gets to the point that Micaiah's goddess (who Micaiah is supplanted for throughout Part 4) is portrayed as closer to Ike.

Edited by Alazen

Ninian Talk

I'm one of those people who cried at FE7... Yeah... Dramatic. Yep. But I don't see what's wrong with her dying. What most sad thing was Eli doing the finish blow. The guy you love kills you... whoa... Even then, was dying and being revived been done alraady in FE? Was it cliche and common back then? I don't think so.

She didn't just move the plot along, but interacted with the units to add depth for her meaning. For a unit that we thought was irreverent when we recruit them really surprised us when they were really important. Especially when they interact with the main characters. I really enjoyed Ninian's presence in the game. That's it, the presence the main character had with each other. None of that "Important blah blah stuff I need to talk about." But more of "Off topic but character emotion soft talk to just let sink in".

I really like the "You like him (Eliwood) don't you?" by Nils. That got me... Right here in the koroko.

I'm not defending Aqua. The original post said "We could've gotten another Ninian!", but Ninian, IMO, isn't much better. Granted, I have yet to play Fates and see why Aqua is worse, but Ninian is very far from being a paragon of quality. She is a plot object most of the time, and the emotional scenes with her were so "We want to make people cry!". I guess I wouldn't have half of my problems with her if she wasn't killed just to make Eliwood depressed and the player sad. The scene just felt like shock value made to create drama. And yes, she gets kidnapped half of the time, and much more than Nils. At least Nils makes an effort to escape and to try to save her. Ninian is just there to drag the plot around and be Eliwood' sweetheart.

From what I've heard, Aqua's deal is similar to Ninian's (AKA moving the plot along, and not much else), except she might be even more irrelevant, only needed to dump exposition. When I finished reading IK' story summary, I thought "Well, this supposed main character and closest thing we get to an actual Lord in this game (besides Kamui) actually didn't do shit...", and she does feel like a robot, unless she's with her son and some other times.

Disappointing to say the least. It seems she's pretty and that's all she's got, and that's why people like her.

Well, maybe if she at least was like Ninian, she could at least have emotions and attachment towards characters that aren't Kamui or her non-canon children. I guess being a walking plot object is better than being an exposition robot.

I'm not defending Aqua. The original post said "We could've gotten another Ninian!", but Ninian, IMO, isn't much better. Granted, I have yet to play Fates and see why Aqua is worse, but Ninian is very far from being a paragon of quality. She is a plot object most of the time, and the emotional scenes with her were so "We want to make people cry!". I guess I wouldn't have half of my problems with her if she wasn't killed just to make Eliwood depressed and the player sad. The scene just felt like shock value made to create drama. And yes, she gets kidnapped half of the time, and much more than Nils. At least Nils makes an effort to escape and to try to save her. Ninian is just there to drag the plot around and be Eliwood' sweetheart.

Umm, no, that's not quite what I meant.

My overall opinion of Ninian is "meh", and people in general seem to be feel very neutral about her. Contrast with Lucina, who fills even a smaller role and gets overall less focus in-game than Ninian, but was hyped up and has a vocal hatedom. And I wanted to reference the parallel nicknames from before we learned Aqua's name.

I didn't expect anything great out of IS, but I was at least hoping for "meh"-ness over "bleh"-ness.

^Pretty much that.

I would say both Lyn and Miciah fall under "wasted potential"; I'm fine with Lyn, but not fine with the way she was handled.

They overdid her mysteriousness. I don't mind mysterious characters, but the way they did Aqua's was just bad. She's there to spew exposition when Kamui needs explaining. And to make it worse, for a character that's meant to seem wise or at least smarter than Kamui, she makes the dumbest plans that Kamui, who has almost zero leadership qualities btw, follows no matter what. Her existence in all three routes just give the story more plot holes than it already has, since she knows everything.

I thought Lyn was handled decently. Micaiah was good until all the attention went to Ike.

I was about to put this in the complaint thread, but then I realized that this is probably more character hate than a legitimate complaint.

I really dislike Ryoma's hair, to the point that I want to march over and give him a haircut. I mean, I don't mind long hair in general; I thought Libra looked good with it, and Takumi with his hair down is a godsend. But Ryoma's long hair rubs me in all the wrong ways.

Edited by Minischew

I was about to put this in the complaint thread, but then I realized that this is probably more character hate than a legitimate complaint.

I really dislike Ryoma's hair, to the point that I want to march over and give him a haircut. I mean, I don't mind long hair in general; I thought Libra looked good with it, and Takumi with his hair down is a godsend. But Ryoma's long hair rubs me in all the wrong ways.

In his natural class and his portrait, his hair works. It makes him look big and adorned, like the mane of a lion. Its drama is its appeal.

But every other class or situation and it looks like an absurd mess. It's huge. It looks like it's made of fat porcupine needles. It stays all together like a gross bathmat he glued to the back of his comparably reasonable head. When it isn't held back by that red crown-mask thing he should comb it, put it into a ponytail or cut it clean off

Edited by gayserbeam

• 4 weeks later...

Odin and his offspring have their own way annoy me to no end.

Especially the offspring.

Face :ripoff of her grandma.

Characteristic: ripoff of her pa,even worse.

She shouldn't be existed,if she had offspring would be more disgusting.

Edited by shikimi

Not too fond of Zero, would have preferred he be replaced with Asura if anything else. But he's not who I voted for.

I absolutely don't like Pieri. Even before learning about her past and such, knowing that she speaks in third person is bad enough.

Don't like Soliel, and some of Matoi's support grates me, but it's not really a shocker that the kids would be the worst characters in the game by majority. Awakening was the same.

Azura can burn. Even though I find Felicia the worst out of the two, her story shoehorns remind me of Lucina a lot. Not by character, but by everything else.

I usually don't hate characters that much, but Kamui and their amazing naivete gets on my nerves so much. I don't mind naivete at all and some of the characters that I like are naive at certain times, but Kamui's is too much for me esp for storyline reasons.

Camilla frustrates me because while I adore her supports with Belka, so much of her character is based around her obsession with Kamui and she is genuinely batshit crazy and murderous that I can't like her as a character.

• 1 year later...

Did not know Tsukuyomi was Hayato or else he would've gotten my vote. As for least favorite male shared character, I hate Kamui more than anyone else even Izana, which I am actually surprised about because I thought Izana was pretty cool for apostle type of guy. As for least favorite male non-shared, then it has to be Peri. As for least favorite children it had to be Syalla. As for least favorite shared female, I am actually surprised that people hate Felicia when she did nothing wrong and is a dedicated and helpful servant to Kamui, and again Kamui is deluded, unrealistic, and not a very likable character in Fates, but I guess in all fairness all the paths of the stories are unrealistic as senseless as shit.