Character Hate Thread

Minischew

Least Favorite FE:Fates Character  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least favorite male shared character?

• Asyura
    • Gunter
    • Izana
    • Jakob
    • Kamui (M)
    • Kaze
    • Silas
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite female shared character?

• Azura
    • Felicia
    • Kamui (F)
    • Mozume
  3. 3. Who is your least favorite male Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Asama
    • Hinata
    • Nishiki
    • Ryoma
    • Saizou
    • Subaki
    • Takumi
    • Tsukuyomi
    • Yukimura
    • Arthur
    • Benoit
    • Flannel
    • Lazward
    • Leo
    • Odin
    • Xander
    • Zero
  4. 4. Who is your least favorite female Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Crimson
    • Hana
    • Hinoka
    • Kagerou
    • Oboro
    • Orochi
    • Rinkah
    • Sakura
    • Setsuna
    • Yuugiri
    • Berka
    • Camilla
    • Charlotte
    • Effie
    • Elise
    • Flora
    • Luna
    • Nyx
    • Pieri
  5. 5. Who is your least favorite child character? (max. 3)

• Deere
    • Kanna (M)
    • Kanna (F)
    • Midoriko
    • Shigure
    • Sophie
    • Gurei
    • Hisame
    • Kinu
    • Kisaragi
    • Matoi
    • Mitama
    • Shinonome
    • Syalla
    • Eponine
    • Foleo
    • Ignis
    • Lutz
    • Ophelia
    • Siegbert
    • Soleil
    • Velour

Iirc, Eponine's personal skill reads that she has dirty thoughts around males. Does this mean that she makes innuendos around males, or is she simply a yaoi fangirl?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iirc, Eponine's personal skill reads that she has dirty thoughts around males. Does this mean that she makes innuendos around males, or is she simply a yaoi fangirl?

The consensus of what I've heard is that she's a yaoi fan girl.

Interestingly, while Kaze is my most favorite character in the entire game (and this will probably never gonna change), he's also among the people that I despise the most. Perhaps "despise" is a strong word, but I can't find a better expression for my view of his character atm. As someone who actually defended Silas and his motivation for joining Kamui in Hoshido, I just can't digest Kaze's decision for deflecting to Nohr. As much as it pains me to say this because I really like him, I'm quite surprised that he has so few votes (though this is probably because he's listed together with Joker).

Though to be fair, like many other characters in this game, he's also a victim of extreme player/protagonist worship, poor writing and characterization in general.

I know about his backstory...

[spoiler=Story spoilers]with Kamui, and that he feels responsible for that. He's also spared by Kamui when Garon ordered his execution. Because of these, I think he feels like he needs to devote his life to Kamui as his only master, as a make up for his past. On paper, this sounds like a passable motivation (if not complicated enough for FE standard), especially when compared to Silas' "Yay, childhood friend!" But here come the problems:

For starters, Hoshido is portrayed as this nigh-perfect country filled with completely innocent people who fell victim to Nohr's invasion. Even though said invasion don't actually happen until quite late into the story, and Kamui has promised to avoid casualties, Hoshido still does nothing wrong to the end. Most of the times in FE games, the enemies who deflected to the player's side are either from a black/grey party or just don't care about the conflict at hand that much, so the players wouldn't mind them, and might even be happy that they've come out of "the dark side". However, neither is the case in Kaze's situation.

His devotion and belief for Kamui is stronger than his loyalty for his birth country and family, who again are innocent, which IMO is just wrong. Even if Kamui did save his life, why should he care about their plan to reform Nohr, or whatever they're doing that has nothing to do with him? (which in the end didn't turn out to be as ideal as expected, but then he still assists Kamui in murdering Hoshidan soldiers and his former comrades, what???) Not only does he turn his back on Hoshido for no good reasons, he's also lost a moral justification for such action. It would be much better if Hoshido has its grey area, or at least give Kaze a solid reason to distance himself from the country, but as we see in BR and IK, he's just as devoted to his country and allies. And then when the actual invasion does take place, he still sticks with Kamui's "plan" to the bitter end, you can even have Kaze kill his brother like nothing has happened. This just literally made me facepalm.

And this goes back to the core problem that he's a character created for the sole purpose of pandering to the player, someone who is "destined" to live, serve, and even die for Kamui, just like with Azura and the retainers that follow you no matter what. To them, to follow and serve Kamui is more honorable than to stay together with their family and friends. But at least for Joker, Felicia and Silas, Nohr is depicted as this "villain country", so their actions are partially justified. Azura also has her own agendas, whether you agree with them or not. But Kaze just has no good reason to do so. Of course, what is a "good reason" to betray one's country and family is subjective and you may not agree with my view, but I don't really consider "I feel responsible for his kidnapping, oh and he also spared me once" a good enough excuse to leave everything you care about behind, even if I don't disagree with him for being grateful to Kamui.

Despite all these rants, I still voted for Joker because he's just unlikable.

Edited by Ryo

This game did a shoddy job when it came to the major antagonists. I could explore it, but Thane tackled it in another thread.

The post in question with a link:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55779

3. The villains

Well...if you can call them that.

Seriously, I know Fire Emblem doesn't have a long history of complex villains, but these guys take the cake. Iago and Ganz hound Kamui in both Conquest and Birthright in slightly different ways before being unceremoniously killed - Iago even survives to beg for mercy in both routes before being killed by Leon...in both routes. Then in the third route they're just swatted like flies fairly early on without any real impact on the story.

See, there's my main beef with them - what on earth are they even in the game for? What exactly do they offer? Sure, Iago is at least good at what he does but...what is it, exactly? They're so generically evil it hurts, and even though they survive for quite a while in the two original routes, they never develop as characters or accomplish anything, and they're so unimortant that Ganz dies without being able to have any dying words and Elise cheers Leon on after having murdered Iago in Conquest so...why weren't they just killed earlier? This is partially the reason why Conquest feels like it doesn't have a story and never gets anywhere, because Iago and Ganz are being annoying and the ragtag bunch of misfits can't do anything about it because they've got that world's version of diplomatic immunity.

This brings me to the next villain, namely our favorite Flubber since Flubber, King Garon.

...Who also doesn't do much. I think the third route actually nailed his character perfectly. If you don't know what happens, I'll give you the the complete rundown.

You mess up Hydra, who says he needs more power and thus teleports Garon, who has been seen about once in the third route earlier cackling maniacally, to his side. Garon offers his body to Hydra, but Hydra eats him instead - the siblings each say one line and after that he's not mentioned again. That's it.

You know, for a guy we've seen turn into a giant dragon, a slime monster and (I imagine) having his powers boosted by Hydra, and being the king of Nohr whose manipulation is essentially what drives the entire story in the first place, you'd think he'd be a bit more...important? Prominent? Developed? As far as I know, we get to know very, very little about the real Garon's death and how Nohr has changed, and the siblings talk very little about living under this tyrant.

"But Thane, the real Garon was dead and this was just the body controlled by Hydra, of course we can't see the real Garon" - well, I did find Mikoto and Sumeragi's return very cheesy and rushed (why couldn't they have taken Iago and Ganz' place? Would've had much more impact than the generic assclowns we killed without blinking), but Garon is super important to the story. Also, this sort of leads me to the core of the problem I have with this game: why was Hydra necessary? Why couldn't this game have been only two routes where you had to live with the consequences of your choice? Why wasn't Garon simply a misguided King?

I'm not the most eloquent person as you may have noticed since, when talking about the villains, all I've done is asking "why?", but I'll try to explain what I wish Garon could have been.

In The Legend of Zelda, you often face Ganon or Ganondorf, who's often portrayed as a very powerful, evil wizard, and that's more or less it. He didn't start getting a personality until Ocarina of Time, I believe, but the point where everybody I know started loving him was in Wind Waker. He talks solemnly about being the king of a desert people (this was known very early on in the franchise), and how the wind always carried destruction where he lived, either it scorched the land during the day or pierced their homes during the night. However, in the neighboring land of Hyrule, the land which he had tried to conquer so many times before, the winds carried something else.

This speech lasts about half a minute, and suddenly everything falls into place and you feel genuine pity for an immortal guy who everyone just considered a generic bad guy.

Garon, needless to say, has no such moment. We have very little information of how he was before, what drives him or even how the siblings react to him changing. We know they fear him, since Camilla was even prepared to kill Kamui on his behalf under the pain of death, but that's about it. I wish we had gotten to know him in Conquest, but instead we got a generic manipulated bad guy and a team of spineless morons.

I'll put in that Hydra was poorly integrated and could have been something better. As it stands, Hydra comes off as being the Ultimate Mastermind Behind It All so that the two kingdoms can friend-up along with being an excuse to let Kamui marry the Hoshido siblings.

Poor Hinata, it seems like his shoddy performance as a unit is affecting people's perceptions.

I mean I don't love Hinata, but from the supports I read I don't know why he's the third most hated character, he's a pretty cool guy. If anything, his son is boring as paint drying from what I've read.

^ LOL I was determined to use Hinata even if it meant my army will be crippled because I liked him so much. He just has a good personality but hoooly crap did his stats sucked. I wasn't sure if it was his growths or if I got unlucky but even with all of my stat boosting items, he was still barely surviving and killing nobody. I mean, he could kill, just with assistance.

Edited by Hatsuoki

I wonder which characters are most/least popular in the Japanese fandom. We need to know which 6 characters will be showing up in FE15

Pls no.

I think there's issues with the story concerning Gunther.

In IK, it's revealed he had a wife and child killed by Garon's orders. If I remember correctly, he wasn't able to support Kamui or anyone else in IK, but was able to support Kamui in Conquest, so I checked out the supports. The supports were fine, except for one. The S support with female Kamui. There is no mention of his dead wife and child. Isn't this important info to tell his new wife? And just to make it worse, Gunther said Kamui was the only one he loved in his entire life. Uh, hello, Gunther? What about your dead wife and kid?! Are you ever going to mention them?!

The Gunther in Conquest contradicts the one in IK. IK shows Gunther as someone who had a grudge because his wife and child was killed for an unnamed reason, so he obviously agonizes over their deaths, so what's with the flippant romancing option in Conquest? If Kamui can't support him in IK, then he shouldn't in Conquest, or at least just take out the S support because it just contradicts his character. Is IS so focused on having as many marriage candidates for Kamui that they are feeling to lower character/story quality for it? Apparently so. By not telling about his past, it makes Gunther some shallow guy who didn't care enough about his dead wife and child, unlike how he is in IK.

Whoever played the game unspoiled and decided to romance in Gunther in Conquest is going to be shocked when they play IK and find out about Gunther's past. Like couldn't they mention Gunther's past at least in the S support? I think mentioning it could have been beneficial to the story if you ask me, could have been a small hint to the events of IK. I don't think it would have spoiled anything, it's not weird for characters to talk about their pasts in the supports. And what, were they afraid that players would be turned off by characters being widows and already had a kid? What's wrong with that? It's not like it's condemned in the game since Sumeragi and Garon both got remarried. And if some people don't like it, then they don't have to romance him. Simple as that. In IK, Gunther becomes evil/possessed suddenly out of nowhere and later in the chapter we discover why, but hey, I feel that there was like no foreshadowing at all beforehand. At least there was with Takumi's possession, but Gunther's? Not really. But that's just how I feel about it. Rant over.

Edited by Yuina

I see a lot of votes for Syalla, but I've heard that she's nowhere near as bad as Tharja. Is she simply being hated on for being an expy?

Edited by Minischew

Why is Tsukuyomi so hated?

He's one of those child character types who "puts on a tough act and seems all arrogant and stuff but's really a wimpy scaredy-cat" that the player's supposed to love but ends up hating.

Recap of current poll results:

Most Disliked Shared Male

1. Joker

2. Gunter

3. Izana

Most Disliked Shared Female

1. Felicia

2. Azura

3. Mozume

Most Disliked Hoshidan/Nohr Male

1. Tsukuyomi

2. Hinata

3. Zero

Most Disliked Hoshido/Nohr Female

1. Pieri

2. Luna

3. Camilla

Most Disliked Child

1. Syalla

2. Soleil

3. Gurei

I wonder which characters are most/least popular in the Japanese fandom. We need to know which 6 characters will be showing up in FE15

Swap out Zero with Yukimura, he's getting more votes now. The most disliked girl is still Pieri, but Crimson comes after, then tied for Camilla and Luna.

Interestingly, while Kaze is my most favorite character in the entire game (and this will probably never gonna change), he's also among the people that I despise the most. Perhaps "despise" is a strong word, but I can't find a better expression for my view of his character atm. As someone who actually defended Silas and his motivation for joining Kamui in Hoshido, I just can't digest Kaze's decision for deflecting to Nohr. As much as it pains me to say this because I really like him, I'm quite surprised that he has so few votes (though this is probably because he's listed together with Joker).

Though to be fair, like many other characters in this game, he's also a victim of extreme player/protagonist worship, poor writing and characterization in general.

[spoiler=Story spoilers]with Kamui, and that he feels responsible for that. He's also spared by Kamui when Garon ordered his execution. Because of these, I think he feels like he needs to devote his life to Kamui as his only master, as a make up for his past. On paper, this sounds like a passable motivation (if not complicated enough for FE standard), especially when compared to Silas' "Yay, childhood friend!" But here come the problems:

For starters, Hoshido is portrayed as this nigh-perfect country filled with completely innocent people who fell victim to Nohr's invasion. Even though said invasion don't actually happen until quite late into the story, and Kamui has promised to avoid casualties, Hoshido still does nothing wrong to the end. Most of the times in FE games, the enemies who deflected to the player's side are either from a black/grey party or just don't care about the conflict at hand that much, so the players wouldn't mind them, and might even be happy that they've come out of "the dark side". However, neither is the case in Kaze's situation.

His devotion and belief for Kamui is stronger than his loyalty for his birth country and family, who again are innocent, which IMO is just wrong. Even if Kamui did save his life, why should he care about their plan to reform Nohr, or whatever they're doing that has nothing to do with him? (which in the end didn't turn out to be as ideal as expected, but then he still assists Kamui in murdering Hoshidan soldiers and his former comrades, what???) Not only does he turn his back on Hoshido for no good reasons, he's also lost a moral justification for such action. It would be much better if Hoshido has its grey area, or at least give Kaze a solid reason to distance himself from the country, but as we see in BR and IK, he's just as devoted to his country and allies. And then when the actual invasion does take place, he still sticks with Kamui's "plan" to the bitter end, you can even have Kaze kill his brother like nothing has happened. This just literally made me facepalm.

And this goes back to the core problem that he's a character created for the sole purpose of pandering to the player, someone who is "destined" to live, serve, and even die for Kamui, just like with Azura and the retainers that follow you no matter what. To them, to follow and serve Kamui is more honorable than to stay together with their family and friends. But at least for Joker, Felicia and Silas, Nohr is depicted as this "villain country", so their actions are partially justified. Azura also has her own agendas, whether you agree with them or not. But Kaze just has no good reason to do so. Of course, what is a "good reason" to betray one's country and family is subjective and you may not agree with my view, but I don't really consider "I feel responsible for his kidnapping, oh and he also spared me once" a good enough excuse to leave everything you care about behind, even if I don't disagree with him for being grateful to Kamui.

You have perfectly captured the reason why I'm bothered by Suzukaze's character. It's such a shame, since I really like his design :(

Wouldn't that be more the problem with Nohrs writing, rather than Suzukaze, if his devotion is quite understandable in IK and BR? It seems like most of Conquest was a flop for writing.

Swap out Zero with Yukimura, he's getting more votes now. The most disliked girl is still Pieri, but Crimson comes after, then tied for Camilla and Luna.

Poor Kamui-sexuals not getting any love. I guess it's their fault for joining late and not having many supports.

Wouldn't that be more the problem with Nohrs writing, rather than Suzukaze, if his devotion is quite understandable in IK and BR? It seems like most of Conquest was a flop for writing.

It's true that Conquest's writing ended up hurting a lot of characters, it's also where most of Kamui and Azura's criticisms come from. But since the characters themselves are also part of that story, in the end you just have to accept that they're canonically... like that.

The thing I'm bothered the most about the shared characters' characterization...

is the fact that their loyalty and alliance are not "pre-determined" before the story was written, but vary depending on which side Kamui chooses. In other words, it's inconsistently determined by where Kamui goes, not by the characters' thinking themselves, which made some situations like Kaze's betrayal very awkward and forced. Playing through Birthright, you just can't find a reason why Kaze would go so far as to leave his country and family in the other route, because he is a very loyal and dedicated individual there, and can bond with the Hoshidan just as well as his Nohrian comrades.

Hell, it feels like the writers couldn't even give him a proper excuse for his actions. All we know is that he believes Kamui to be able to end the war from within Nohr, and that he, due to events of his past, must assist him to achieve that goal. Except they're in a freaking war, and he chooses to indefinitely abandon his homeland to assist the enemy country. He also doesn't know anything about Kamui's plan at the point of deflecting, and just happily joins like everything will go on fine. Sure the latter promises to avoid casualties, but how can he know that Kamui and Nohr's way of "ending the war" won't bring disadvantages and sufferings to Hoshido in other non-military aspects? Kamui has gone back to Nohr, it should be obvious that he'll prioritize considering its benefits first, not Hoshido, let alone the whole world.

You can admire and be grateful to an enemy (which I agree with Kaze), but there are other ways to show your gratitude and devotion even in war. No reasonable person in real life would go so far as to follow said enemy and semi-casually leave everything that used to matter behind, and then continues to assist them in conquering and murdering your own people. I don't remember how much he knows about Kamui and Aqua's "genius" plan of invading Hoshido just for Garon to sit on the throne, but he can clearly sees during the process that such a scheme would involve bringing destruction to Hoshido. Even if he couldn't prevent Kamui and Garon, he could still choose not to help them any further. But he doesn't even argue with Kamui or anyone about this, he still assists them to the bitter end. That's something I just can't understand. Of course, it would make much more sense if Kaze only cares about Kamui while (consistently) having a problem with Hoshido or just don't care about it, like many other recruitable enemies in FE. From a narrative standpoint, his betrayal would be justified. But in BR and IK, Kaze shows no visible aversion to Hoshido and its people, who also never done anything wrong to him. It would be much more interesting if Kaze always deflected to Nohr in both routes, for understandable reasons such as heavy dispute with his brother and/or the Hoshidan royal siblings, or just because he can't stand the country in general. This reason has to be present and consistent in all paths. Meanwhile, you can have someone from Nohr who would always deflect to Hoshido to balance this out.

While I understand that the other shared characters also suffer from this problem on various degrees, but like I said in the other post, they at least have a moral ground. You can't blame them because hey, Garon's an evil bastard, Hoshido's the good guys! But Kaze's betrayal not only lacks a solid/consistent logical justification (explained above), what makes it worse is that it's also morally wrong. This is where the bad writing hurts his character the most comparing to others.

Edited by Ryo

It's true that Conquest's writing ended up hurting a lot of characters, it's also where most of Kamui and Azura's criticisms come from. But since the characters themselves are also part of that story, in the end you just have to accept that they're canonically... like that.

The thing I'm bothered the most about the shared characters' characterization...

is the fact that their loyalty and alliance are not "pre-determined" before the story was written, but vary depending on which side Kamui chooses. In other words, it's inconsistently determined by where Kamui goes, not by the characters' thinking themselves, which made some situations like Kaze's betrayal very awkward and forced. Playing through Birthright, you just can't find a reason why Kaze would go so far as to leave his country and family in the other route, because he is a very loyal and dedicated individual there, and can bond with the Hoshidan just as well as his Nohrian comrades.

Hell, it feels like the writers couldn't even give him a proper excuse for his actions. All we know is that he believes Kamui to be able to end the war from within Nohr, and that he, due to events of his past, must assist him to achieve that goal. Except they're in a freaking war, and he chooses to indefinitely abandon his homeland to assist the enemy country. He also doesn't know anything about Kamui's plan at the point of deflecting, and just happily joins like everything will go on fine. Sure the latter promises to avoid casualties, but how can he know that Kamui and Nohr's way of "ending the war" won't bring disadvantages and sufferings to Hoshido in other non-military aspects? Kamui has gone back to Nohr, it should be obvious that he'll prioritize considering its benefits first, not Hoshido, let alone the whole world.

You can admire and be grateful to an enemy (which I agree with Kaze), but there are other ways to show your gratitude and devotion even in war. No reasonable person in real life would go so far as to follow said enemy and semi-casually leave everything that used to matter behind, and then continues to assist them in conquering and murdering your own people. I don't remember how much he knows about Kamui and Aqua's "genius" plan of invading Hoshido just for Garon to sit on the throne, but he can clearly sees during the process that such a scheme would involve bringing destruction to Hoshido. Even if he couldn't prevent Kamui and Garon, he could still choose not to help them any further. But he doesn't even argue with Kamui or anyone about this, he still assists them to the bitter end. That's something I just can't understand. Of course, it would make much more sense if Kaze only cares about Kamui while (consistently) having a problem with Hoshido or just don't care about it, like many other recruitable enemies in FE. From a narrative standpoint, his betrayal would be justified. But in BR and IK, Kaze shows no visible aversion to Hoshido and its people, who also never done anything wrong to him. It would be much more interesting if Kaze always deflected to Nohr in both routes, for understandable reasons such as heavy dispute with his brother and/or the Hoshidan royal siblings, or just because he can't stand the country in general. This reason has to be present and consistent in all paths. Meanwhile, you can have someone from Nohr who would always deflect to Hoshido to balance this out.

While I understand that the other shared characters also suffer from this problem on various degrees, but like I said in the other post, they at least have a moral ground. You can't blame them because hey, Garon's an evil bastard, Hoshido's the good guys! But Kaze's betrayal not only lacks a solid/consistent logical justification (explained above), what makes it worse is that it's also morally wrong. This is where the bad writing hurts his character the most comparing to others.

Isn't Crimson (a Nohrian) a Hoshido exclusive? That would be an example of a character with consistent writing in regards for what they stand for. They definitely dropped the ball on Suzukaze's reasons for joining Nohr, but I suppose that could be said for Kamui as well. The writing for Conquest makes it sound like he should have chosen Birthright and only stuck with Nohr because of his siblings.

Edited by NekoKnight

Isn't Crimson (a Nohrian) a Hoshido exclusive? That would be an example of a character with consistent writing in regards for what they stand for. They definitely dropped the ball on Suzukaze's reasons for joining Nohr, but I suppose that could be said for Kamui as well. The writing for Conquest makes it sound like he should have chosen Birthright and only stuck with Nohr because of his siblings.

IIRC Crimson is from Chevalier :o

IIRC Crimson is from Chevalier :o

I'm not really sure how the douchies/dukedoms (written as 公国) fit with Nohr and Hoshido. Chevallier has Nohrian culture but apparently rejects Nohrian rule while Izumo (Izana's "country") has Hoshidan culture and appears to be allied with Hoshido. Are they sub-territories in the larger countries or are they separate kingdoms entirely? Maybe Nohr and Hoshido are both geographic areas as well as political entities. The douchies/dukedoms are like the city-states in Italy.

im probably late to this party haha otl

honestly, if i had to pick a character i really REALLY dislike, it'd be syalla because she reminds me of tharja and i already despise tharja (for personal reasons) and i thank god she's optional in fates.

i have nothing against her father though; but he's really not interesting imo.

MFW my Hoshido husband has the most hated votes. 8U How much is because of Shara? I am sad lol.

Looking through supports and characters, I can say I really don't like Pieri. Seems very childish and annoying, how could she be allowed to get away with killing servants while under Marx's employ? Just ugh....