Is Odin better as a Dark Mage or as a Samurai?

Armaada J

I wouldn't say he's bad as a Samurai, but he's not superb as one. I reclassed Odin to a Samurai, and promoted him to a Trueblade.

He's super fast, but isn't that strong. But his growths support whichever class you make him. His HP and speed growths are nice as a Samurai, while magic and resistance rise as a Dark Mage. I think if you really focus on giving Odin kills, he can be good in any class you want him to (maybe not "good", but enough to keep up with the rest of your units).

Edited by Carter

What's kind of cool is, Dark Mage and Samurai have equal STR growth (10%). As such, you can level him as a Dark Mage until you're ready to promote him, then take stock.

1) If his MAG and SPD have grown well, you can just promote him to Sorcerer and be done with it. When Odin's stats pan out, he's a great Sorcerer.

2) If his MAG is good but his SPD is suffering, you can pump some levels of Trueblade (20% SPD) or Dark Falcon (15% SPD) to salvage the stat. Dark Falcon's 15% MAG and 20% RES don't hurt either. Then go back to Sorcerer and enjoy.

3) If his STR and SPD have grown well, he can easily slip into Trueblade or Weapon Master and pound faces in, no problem. He has great SKL, so Astra suits him well anyway.

4) If his STR, MAG, and SPD are lacking, go Trueblade. Trueblade should save his SPD, the base CRIT bonus is awesome, and he'll get Astra to hopefully save his offense regardless of stats.

5) If he ends up STR, MAG, and SPD-blessed, on the other hand, there's always Dark Knight for hybrid damage purposes. He needs to be damn SPD-blessed, though, since Dark Knight only gives 5% bonus SPD growth and his 35% base is shaky enough as is.

I don't know that physical or magical is really "better" than the other for him, and if you're trying to save him from being fragile... well, both Sorcerer and Trueblade are fragile, so I don't know what to tell you there. However, Odin has 55% HP growth, 40% DEF growth, and 20% RES growth, which is pretty good defensively. He'd probably be tankiest as a Dark Knight TBH (close second being Weapon Master, distant third being magic-tanking-Dark Falcon). At a rough guesstimate, leveling Odin as a Samurai (10 HP, 20 SPD, 10 RES) then promoting into Dark Knight (15 HP, 15 DEF, 5 RES) would be the tankiest path for him.

Neither, make him a Revenant Knight.

Also a good hybrid-y choice for him, although like with Dark Knight, make sure you secure his SPD first, 'cause that 5% isn't gonna do him any favors.

Yeah, I'm going to have an excellent time calculating exact levels to switch up on Fixed mode to make sure Odin has adequate Mag, Speed, Def, Str and still ends up with the right skills and class. Like I'm shooting for a tanky-ish Revenant Knight with Vantage/Sol [Lazwald A+]/Deadly Breath/Overbearing/Vengeance. Possibly Bowbreaker instead of Deadly Breath.

Yeah, I'm going to have an excellent time calculating exact levels to switch up on Fixed mode to make sure Odin has adequate Mag, Speed, Def, Str and still ends up with the right skills and class. Like I'm shooting for a tanky-ish Revenant Knight with Vantage/Sol [Lazwald A+]/Deadly Breath/Overbearing/Vengeance. Possibly Bowbreaker instead of Deadly Breath.

Oooh, seems like fun :D I might have to try that too, I like the sound of that.