As is obvious, I love me a good fighting game. Reading through the first pages of the General Gaming Discussion, I didn't see any real topics about this. There's a Smash Topic and a Street Fighter V Topic, but no topic about just general fighting games.

I love games like Skullgirls, which serves as probably the best Marvel Vs. Capcom-style game out there. It has some darn gorgeous visuals and a great soundtrack. It's probably my favorite fighting game at the moment. I also hold a deep love for fighters like KoF, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and the many fighters made by Arc System Works, including Guilty Gear and Blazblue.

I enjoy and play basically every fighter out there. From Lethal League and Divekick to Skullgirls and Mortal Kombat. I also play competitively, so if you're looking on character advice and such, I'm your man!

Feel free to talk about your favorite fighting games here! This can include stuff like Powerstone, Darkstalkers, you name it!

I use fightcade to play most of my fighters online as far as older ones go. Look it up, its great!

Edited by North888

My favorite fighter has always been Smash Brothers, but in terms of more traditional style, I really enjoy me some street fighter, KoF, Fatal Fury, Melty Blood and quite the number of others, I enjoy Soul Calibur and I really love Dead or Alive.

Also a huge fan of the 2-D DBZ fighters I feel Burst Limit could have actually been fairly competitive if people hadn't been wanting another Tenkaichi.

Not really a fan of anime fighters because I get absolutely destroyed and they seem very... one sided, but I did put in a fair amount of hours to the first two BlazBlue and GGAC+

Garou: MOTW is my all time favourite despite only playing with a select few people (Australia sux for fighting games). The rush down from KoF was there but it played more like Street Fighter without the insane knowledge needed for say, Third Strike.

2nd Day I bought Yata my stick broke, RIP Hori EX2 I had you for ~7 years

edit: If you count Melee, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy as fighting games then they'd be my most played, otherwise it's a tossup between SFIVAE or Garou.

I've never really put any serious effort into fighting games though, the most combo practice i've had is in trial mode, despite being my favourite genre.

Edited by Lowell

Not really a fan of anime fighters because I get absolutely destroyed and they seem very... one sided, but I did put in a fair amount of hours to the first two BlazBlue and GGAC+

Garou: MOTW is my all time favourite despite only playing with a select few people (Australia sux for fighting games). The rush down from KoF was there but it played more like Street Fighter without the insane knowledge needed for say, Third Strike.

2nd Day I bought Yata my stick broke, RIP Hori EX2 I had you for ~7 years

edit: If you count Melee, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy as fighting games then they'd be my most played, otherwise it's a tossup between SFIVAE or Garou.

I've never really put any serious effort into fighting games though, the most combo practice i've had is in trial mode, despite being my favourite genre.

Garou is so fun man, I main Rock in that game.

I mostly just play Capcom FGs (SF and Marvel) since anime and 3d ones are rarely played here.

So for those who watched Gamerbee vs Momochi grand finals what would you have done if you were Gamerbee? (He damaged Momochi just enough for a time out win and gave up extra meter)

I never realized just how many ppl played Garou XD

Garou is so much fun. Honestly I played it at Combo Breaker this year and was on stream for one of the matches. I got destroyed pretty badly, but it was a ton of fun. I main B. Jennet and have a number of friends who also play.

Garou is so fun man, I main Rock in that game.

It's quite surprising, but Rock is actually really low tier in Garou XD Like, my B. Jennet vs. a friend's Rock, and my friend is in a whole other league than me atm, and I win, cause Rock can't punish Jennet at all. He's so bad, but he's got that style and definitely earned his right to being a fan favorite.

I mostly just play Capcom FGs (SF and Marvel) since anime and 3d ones are rarely played here.

So for those who watched Gamerbee vs Momochi grand finals what would you have done if you were Gamerbee? (He damaged Momochi just enough for a time out win and gave up extra meter)

If you like Marvel, you may Enjoy Skullgirls. It basically takes Marvel 2 and crafts a more balanced and creative experience from it. Its notably different with some more obvious traits of things you'd find in an anime fighter, but the mechanics and basis is firmly rooted in that Marvel style.

i liked Dong Hwan, Terry, Rock, Gato and Freeman

That's like half the cast buddy XD

If you're interested, you guys could find a group on steam known as the Bread and Butter, or BnB. It's a group of fighting game players. None of us are really pro, and most of the time we're just screwing around on other games, but we all enjoy a good match of whatever catches our fancy. Plus the group has a ton of connections that could net you games you never knew you'd enjoy. Even though its over steam, we still openly set up games for console matches, like Persona, Arcana Heart, the newer Blazblue/Guilty Gear games, etc. Heck, quite a number of ppl there play Smash.

I can't say Smash is a game I enjoy a whole lot, mostly because it doesn't feel as precise. I see these really tight and fast matches from higher level players, and I can follow them, but I find it near impossible to replicate just because of the pacing. I want to play natural neutral and do combo strings, but the game instead acts like I'm an idiot and I just end up going all over the place XD

I never realized just how many ppl played Garou XD

Garou is so much fun. Honestly I played it at Combo Breaker this year and was on stream for one of the matches. I got destroyed pretty badly, but it was a ton of fun. I main B. Jennet and have a number of friends who also play.

It's quite surprising, but Rock is actually really low tier in Garou XD Like, my B. Jennet vs. a friend's Rock, and my friend is in a whole other league than me atm, and I win, cause Rock can't punish Jennet at all. He's so bad, but he's got that style and definitely earned his right to being a fan favorite.

Haha it doesn't surprise me much, I also use Terry because I usually use him in every Fatal Fury it just bugs me that he lacks the Rising Tackle.

I play Smash the most, but I've loved me some Soul Calibur II and Mortal Kombat II as well. I tried out Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe too, and it was pretty neat. I just can't get used to an Xbox controller though. They may not look like it, but they're so different from Nintendo ones. Also considering trying out Street Fighter. I like fighting games, so yeah. ^^

Haha it doesn't surprise me much, I also use Terry because I usually use him in every Fatal Fury it just bugs me that he lacks the Rising Tackle.

He may not have the rising tackle, but those shoulder bump chains into Buster Wolf are some real execution godliness.

I play Smash the most, but I've loved me some Soul Calibur II and Mortal Kombat II as well. I tried out Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe too, and it was pretty neat. I just can't get used to an Xbox controller though. They may not look like it, but they're so different from Nintendo ones. Also considering trying out Street Fighter. I like fighting games, so yeah. ^^

I grew up playing SCIII man. Its probably one of my favorite fighting games of all time!

MK vs DC Universe is actually, at least by the community I'm apart of, considered absolute crap. Its not precise, even with the Xbox Controller, nor does the story really flow well. Maybe it being a low quality product is why you could never get used to it XP

If you're gonna try out some new fighters, Skullgirls is a great one to try out if you ever consider stuff like Guilty Gear or Blazblue. Skullgirls has a super indepth tutorial to teach you basically everything that applies to most fighters XD

Im pretty sure though that Smash looks radically different to EVERY other competitive fighter out there. The way its played and how its marketed are totally different. But yeh, maybe consider picking up Skullgirls, its noticably cheaper that Street Fighter, but whatever you do, there are tons of ppl out there that'd be able to show ya the ropes, just need to ask :3

What could he have done? Tournament rules says that he can only take the round not the set

If you like Marvel, you may Enjoy Skullgirls. It basically takes Marvel 2 and crafts a more balanced and creative experience from it. Its notably different with some more obvious traits of things you'd find in an anime fighter, but the mechanics and basis is firmly rooted in that Marvel style.

Thanks for the suggestion North, but I saw some gameplay of it before and it doesn't interest me, plus it's a niche game so for me it's not worth spending time on.

For me I prefer spending time on games that are commonly played at EVO and at my community in North Cal. which are currently: SF, MVC, MKX, Smash and GG. I could spend time playing a niche game online, but I've been spoiled by the sessions here, plus it's more enjoyable playing with others in an offline setting.

I do wish that niche games (Soul Calibur and Gundam vs.) would be more popular in the west though, in competitive play and casual play.

What could he have done? Tournament rules says that he can only take the round not the set

Yes it was Gamerbee's round for that pause, but he could've attacked Momochi till KO and gain full meter for the next round, instead he was a nice guy and just damaged him enough for a time out win and gave up the potential full bar and respect to him for having sportsmanship.

Though Gamerbee didn't spend any meter on the last round maybe it would've been different if he had a full bar.

Edited by Fei Mao

I used to compete in Soul Calibur V, Ultimate MvC 3, Persona 4 Arena, and Dead or Alive 5. But I grew up playing tons of fighting games, with my first one being Virtua Fighter 2. Skullgirls is super fun, but I haven't been able to play with the DLC characters yet (Squigly looks super fun to play as). Garou: Mark of the Wolves is one of my favorite older fighting games, alongside Last Blade. I played a lot of Street Fighter, but I never got to be that good; hopefully that changes with Street Fighter V. I've dipped a bit when it comes to Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. I like those games, but I never really got into them. Same with Mortal Kombat and Tekken, they're fun games, but I don't particularly get into playing them. Though I think the reason why I haven't gotten into Mortal Kombat and Injustice is how stiff the combat is for me. Watching either of those games being played, especially by experienced players, is absolutely awesome, but I, personally, just can't get used to them.

Thanks for the suggestion North, but I saw some gameplay of it before and it doesn't interest me, plus it's a niche game so for me it's not worth spending time on.

For me I prefer spending time on games that are commonly played at EVO and at my community in North Cal. which are currently: SF, MVC, MKX, Smash and GG. I could spend time playing a niche game online, but I've been spoiled by the sessions here, plus it's more enjoyable playing with others in an offline setting.

SG is niche? Godamn. Well then, the most balanced fighter with the most options for its players and largest set of tools for training is niche?

Sorry, dun mean to sound spiteful, but SG deserves a lot more credit than it gets. It was one hell of a finals at Combo Breaker, and honestly its a great game. I suggested it because the tools it gives you to practice with are a lot broader, including things like Hitboxes and other ridiculously meticulous tools. However, its definitely not for everyone, but if you're gonna say SG is niche but Guilty Gear isn't, all because Guilty Gear got to EVO and SG didn't, despite SG having a larger outpouring at Combo Breaker and a massive pot and other numerous achievements, and I can't help but get irritated. Plus, SG is basically a better Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. Sorry, but your whole statement just grates with everything I know about fighting games.

Now, as far as a good starting point, because you can play most ANY fighting game in an offline setting and have a grand time. So if that's what they play, then pick up something. Street Fighter is really easy to get into due to mass amount of ppl who know what they're doing and willing to share.

I used to compete in Soul Calibur V, Ultimate MvC 3, Persona 4 Arena, and Dead or Alive 5. But I grew up playing tons of fighting games, with my first one being Virtua Fighter 2. Skullgirls is super fun, but I haven't been able to play with the DLC characters yet (Squigly looks super fun to play as). Garou: Mark of the Wolves is one of my favorite older fighting games, alongside Last Blade. I played a lot of Street Fighter, but I never got to be that good; hopefully that changes with Street Fighter V. I've dipped a bit when it comes to Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. I like those games, but I never really got into them. Same with Mortal Kombat and Tekken, they're fun games, but I don't particularly get into playing them. Though I think the reason why I haven't gotten into Mortal Kombat and Injustice is how stiff the combat is for me. Watching either of those games being played, especially by experienced players, is absolutely awesome, but I, personally, just can't get used to them.

Robo-Fortune is still free :/

We all have our preferences yep. I think ppl need to understand what this genre is. Fighting games are really niche by what they are. Its not fair to call a game niche because its indie. I urge everyone to try new fighters and see if they enjoy them. That fighter may have features or services they enjoy and want to play with more. I basically own every modern fighter under the sun and can speak from experience when I say that just because something seems high quality doesn't mean it is. MvC3? A Broken mess. Ultimate MvC3? Less of a broken mess. Skullgirls? Did the same thing, but managed to attain balance. 3rd Strike? Classic. Garou? Who doesn't love it? Yatagarasu? Manages to capture bits of what made these older fighters great.

You can enjoy stuff like SF while not enjoying a game like Blazblue, Honestly Mortal Kombat is too backwards for me to really get into, but I wouldnt necessary say its bad. Its not very fun to watch imo, but stuff like UNIEL? I suck at it, but its a join to watch!

I've been playing Street Fighter since SFII albeit it was much later than when it was originally released could never get my hands on SF 3rd Strike but I did get Super Street Fighter IV for my 3DS and Ultra on PC.

I've also played and owned every Smash game which I've loved to death.

Other than Street Fighter and Smash I did play Soul Calibur II but never got into the others that came out afterwards. I also enjoyed Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Robo-Fortune is still free :/

We all have our preferences yep. I think ppl need to understand what this genre is. Fighting games are really niche by what they are. Its not fair to call a game niche because its indie. I urge everyone to try new fighters and see if they enjoy them. That fighter may have features or services they enjoy and want to play with more. I basically own every modern fighter under the sun and can speak from experience when I say that just because something seems high quality doesn't mean it is. MvC3? A Broken mess. Ultimate MvC3? Less of a broken mess. Skullgirls? Did the same thing, but managed to attain balance. 3rd Strike? Classic. Garou? Who doesn't love it? Yatagarasu? Manages to capture bits of what made these older fighters great.

You can enjoy stuff like SF while not enjoying a game like Blazblue, Honestly Mortal Kombat is too backwards for me to really get into, but I wouldnt necessary say its bad. Its not very fun to watch imo, but stuff like UNIEL? I suck at it, but its a join to watch!

I definitely agree, fighting games have gone pretty under the radar when it comes to modern gaming. Sure, it's there, but it's just there. Not really in the spotlight, but that's okay. With EVO that just passed by, I really enjoyed watching a lot of the games being played, hell I even know some of the players who competed in the tournaments; not that where I'm from has that many amazing players, just a few.

It also seems like a lot, but not all, people in the fighting game scene are uptight about what fighters people should play. There's this strange elitism that irks me the wrong way. I really enjoy playing Dead or Alive 5, but of course I get the stereotype of liking it for the skin and boobies. Not that they're bad things, but I genuinely to like the gameplay since it flows a lot better, in my opinion. This even translates to character picks. For UMvC3, I played a lot of characters that the competitive players don't such as: X-23, C. Viper, Phoenix Wright, Chris, Jill, Phoenix (on point), and Ryu (but Strider is my main man in the game).

I've been wanting to play Yatagarasu since it looks really fun and retro, definitely reminds me of older SNK fighters. Skullgirls is really fun and I love the art for the game so it's always a joy to watch; also the infinite combo breaker is a godsend.

Other than Street Fighter and Smash I did play Soul Calibur II but never got into the others that came out afterwards. I also enjoyed Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

I <3 TvC because it brought me Batsu and Karas. And it was also really fun to play.

I wants more Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, and Power Stone...just like the rest of the masses lol.

I <3 TvC because it brought me Batsu and Karas. And it was also really fun to play.

I wants more Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, and Power Stone...just like the rest of the masses lol.

TvC was legit great!

I want more Darkstalkers...but the hope is dead D:

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAPCOOOOOOOOOOM!

Aw how could I also forget about Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3? I actually managed to get it on the Wii and used the GCN controller for it. Fun game definetely IMO the best DBZ fighter to date. Sure I don't see it as being competative but its still loads of fun.

Edited by LordTaco42

BIIIIISOOOOOOOOOON!!

Oh and Bloody Roar was fun too. I absolutely loved it as a kid, but fell out of the series after the 2nd game.

Aw how could I also forget about Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3? I actually managed to get it on the Wii and used the GCN controller for it. Fun game definetely IMO the best DBZ fighter to date.

I like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 a lot too. Despite there only being about 4, I think, fighting styles. I loved wrecking through terrain and enemies with Ultimate Gohan. =]

Edited by DragonSoul

BIIIIISOOOOOOOOOON!!

Oh and Bloody Roar was fun too. I absolutely loved it as a kid, but fell out of the series after the 2nd game.

For you the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. For me it was Tuesday.

Sorry I had to say it.

I'm not particularly good at fighting games, perhaps due to lack of experience playing them, but man do I have fun.

Aside from Smash Bros, 3D fighting games tend to come more naturally to me and I tend to have more fun playing them. Shout outs to Tekken and Soul Calibur.

DBZ BT3 is an interesting beast, and it has a special place in my heart. Favorite DBZ game by far.

By the way North, I'll back up your Skullgirls praise. I was drawn to it by it's presentation which I just love, so despite not being too into 2D fighters I got it and man am I glad I did. it's a blast.

oh there are a ton of fun fighters that aren't competitive. The DBZ games are great, as are the ultimate ninja games and the Namco Bandai Fighters in general.

DUDE! I'd be so hyped if they made a remake/sequel to the original 2D arcade fighter they had! That game was ridiculous!

I used to play fighters a lot (more of a Melty Blood still need to play UNiB to main Sion, Smash, and Arc System Works' games player myself) but I haven't played any recently because life became too busy. Sadly for me I'm not as amazing at them like my cousin, I suck at guarding and fancy combos, but I gotta practice. Despite that I still find them extremely fun, even though I'm an extremely casual player.

When I get the funds or some sort of opportunity I gotta play the famous titles too (the closest thing I have to a SF game is Puzzle Fighter 2 orz).