Puzzle Fighter is still awesome to this day haha. And Pocket Fighter was really fun to play, I kinda wish they would bring it back. Capcom, generally, should make a Capcom All-Stars game since they have so many iconic video game characters, but it's highly unlikely it would happen any time soon.

SG is niche? Godamn. Well then, the most balanced fighter with the most options for its players and largest set of tools for training is niche?

Sorry, dun mean to sound spiteful, but SG deserves a lot more credit than it gets. It was one hell of a finals at Combo Breaker, and honestly its a great game. I suggested it because the tools it gives you to practice with are a lot broader, including things like Hitboxes and other ridiculously meticulous tools. However, its definitely not for everyone, but if you're gonna say SG is niche but Guilty Gear isn't, all because Guilty Gear got to EVO and SG didn't, despite SG having a larger outpouring at Combo Breaker and a massive pot and other numerous achievements, and I can't help but get irritated. Plus, SG is basically a better Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. Sorry, but your whole statement just grates with everything I know about fighting games.

Now, as far as a good starting point, because you can play most ANY fighting game in an offline setting and have a grand time. So if that's what they play, then pick up something. Street Fighter is really easy to get into due to mass amount of ppl who know what they're doing and willing to share.

It's fine we all have our opinions, I can appreciate that the creators try to bring more people to the FG series with its tutorial and other stuff you mentioned but (I shouldn't have said niche so apologies) the game isn't very active in the competitive scene because its the fault of tournament organizers and communities outside of the SG scene that don't want to support it and keep it active. It's cool that the game got a lot of entries at combo breaker, but will the # of entries be the same if it's hosted at the next CEO or Absolute Battle?

While the older GG where rather unknown xrd has been doing well (as in being a staple in most tournaments for a year now). I'm not trying to bash SG or anything, a game can have good mechanics but it just needs something that helps draw and keep the attention for the game.

Using an example: if pro players like F.Champ, Chris G, Justin Wong, and Daigo were to say that SG would be their main game I'm sure that it would help out the scene a lot by attracting attention towards it. I mean if SG had their own version of Cross Counter, or CC decides to play it and keep doing so it would help even more.

Sorry for dragging this out but it's just how I am, and I prefer spending time on stuff that people are currently playing. And to me it's time well spent though if people get burnt out from Marvel or SF and decided to switch to SG I might give it a go.

Speaking of Cross Counter, is anybody subbed to it? I am, but the media player buffers so slowly for me sometimes or the quality keeps changing up. Obviously they won't have the greatest of servers and i'm in Australia but i'm wondering if anybody else has that issue?

I never realized just how many ppl played Garou XD

Garou is so much fun. Honestly I played it at Combo Breaker this year and was on stream for one of the matches. I got destroyed pretty badly, but it was a ton of fun. I main B. Jennet and have a number of friends who also play.

It's quite surprising, but Rock is actually really low tier in Garou XD Like, my B. Jennet vs. a friend's Rock, and my friend is in a whole other league than me atm, and I win, cause Rock can't punish Jennet at all. He's so bad, but he's got that style and definitely earned his right to being a fan favorite.

I love playing as the emo red hair guy, spamming his skill again and again, the AI cant handle it at all.

I never realized just how many ppl played Garou XD

I guess it's sort of that word of mouth "underrated classic" game during the third strike era where there weren't really any other new games to play besides indie japanese ones and alpha series. Surprised me as well because I personally only knew about 4 other people that have played it then i started noticing that with every forum there were at least 1 or 2 people posting about it

Edited by Lowell

It's fine we all have our opinions, I can appreciate that the creators try to bring more people to the FG series with its tutorial and other stuff you mentioned but (I shouldn't have said niche so apologies) the game isn't very active in the competitive scene because its the fault of tournament organizers and communities outside of the SG scene that don't want to support it and keep it active. It's cool that the game got a lot of entries at combo breaker, but will the # of entries be the same if it's hosted at the next CEO or Absolute Battle?

While the older GG where rather unknown xrd has been doing well (as in being a staple in most tournaments for a year now). I'm not trying to bash SG or anything, a game can have good mechanics but it just needs something that helps draw and keep the attention for the game.

Using an example: if pro players like F.Champ, Chris G, Justin Wong, and Daigo were to say that SG would be their main game I'm sure that it would help out the scene a lot by attracting attention towards it. I mean if SG had their own version of Cross Counter, or CC decides to play it and keep doing so it would help even more.

Sorry for dragging this out but it's just how I am, and I prefer spending time on stuff that people are currently playing. And to me it's time well spent though if people get burnt out from Marvel or SF and decided to switch to SG I might give it a go.

SG did have a triple digit turnout at Combo Breaker, and events like Evo are known, 3 years running now, for treating the SG community badly.

Additiionally, the current champ of SG, SonicFox, is also the champ of MKX and a number of other games, and SG is one of his main games. I've played him. Guy's a monster. Plus the game was made by Mike Z, a fairly well known Marvel and SF player with a reputable following. He's also the guy behind most of the hero units in Star Wars Battlefront 2 and a number of other games.

I don't mind talking about this, and I get where you're coming from. It's not a game the people around your area play, so you have less interest in it and less reason to play it. My point is just that the community, as a whole, has been extremely negative to the SG community, who is formed mostly of minglers from other communities and games. It's also been constantly featured via a twitch stream known as Saturday Night Salt, or Salty, where Mike shows off the new build and they perform some event and a bunch of games to show off the new stuff and let random players use the new build. So I honestly can't think of any reason for people to discredit Skullgirls as a legit fighting game other than people being bigots about its art style or it being an indie game. KI is also an indie game, and it doesn't get this kind of crap. KI was openly accepted and is quite popular and is a main game in most areas.

Puzzle Fighter is still awesome to this day haha. And Pocket Fighter was really fun to play, I kinda wish they would bring it back. Capcom, generally, should make a Capcom All-Stars game since they have so many iconic video game characters, but it's highly unlikely it would happen any time soon.

Puzzle Fighter is great!

Anyone else play those little hidden indie fighters like Divekick? It's a ton of ridiculous meta fun.

SG did have a triple digit turnout at Combo Breaker, and events like Evo are known, 3 years running now, for treating the SG community badly.

Additiionally, the current champ of SG, SonicFox, is also the champ of MKX and a number of other games, and SG is one of his main games. I've played him. Guy's a monster. Plus the game was made by Mike Z, a fairly well known Marvel and SF player with a reputable following. He's also the guy behind most of the hero units in Star Wars Battlefront 2 and a number of other games.

I don't mind talking about this, and I get where you're coming from. It's not a game the people around your area play, so you have less interest in it and less reason to play it. My point is just that the community, as a whole, has been extremely negative to the SG community, who is formed mostly of minglers from other communities and games. It's also been constantly featured via a twitch stream known as Saturday Night Salt, or Salty, where Mike shows off the new build and they perform some event and a bunch of games to show off the new stuff and let random players use the new build. So I honestly can't think of any reason for people to discredit Skullgirls as a legit fighting game other than people being bigots about its art style or it being an indie game. KI is also an indie game, and it doesn't get this kind of crap. KI was openly accepted and is quite popular and is a main game in most areas.

Anyone else play those little hidden indie fighters like Divekick? It's a ton of ridiculous meta fun.

That's pretty cool that SonicFox plays it, his Erron Black and Tanya plays are pretty entertaining to watch. I loved Battlefront 2 and it's interesting to know that MikeZ helped with the heroes for that game.

I believe KI started in 1994 so people grew up with it and therefore openly accepted it when the xboxone version because they grew up with it.

Divekick is great with all the references to the FG community gives me a good laugh when I see it played.

I don't suppose anyone here plays Soul Calibur Lost Swords? If you do and need a pretty strong ally I'll post my code later.

SC Lost Swords is kinda blegh tbh. Its a bit too restrictive at times ya?

That reminds me, I need to start mindlessly advertising L0's new game. Skullgirl's endless launch party since Encore's launch is finally over and L0 has new plans. A Metroidvania styled action RPG with combat like that of Valkyrie Profile! It's an interesting prospect, but this isn't the place to talk about that. I'll go bombard you all mindless with info on it somewhere else :3

Reminds me I still need to add to that gigantic info dump I made on the SFV page with all the char specific stuff...

Also, anyone play Lethal League? Game is tons of fun! Made me want to get into those 2D arena fighter type game that have become kinda popular like Towerfall ascension and stuff. But man those little titles like Lethal League and Divekick are basically fighters in their own right (at least as far as the FGC is concerned).

Lastly, anyone who plays fighters on a consistent basis or wants to improve in any fighting game they play, feel free to join the Bread and Butter group on Steam. Just tell em I sent ya when you enter the chat. It'll help boost my credibility :3 Nah but seriously, the Bread and Butter, or BnB is run by a buncha fighting game enthusiasts. We aren't the best out there, but some of us are pretty darn good. You need to be set up with a tutor on your game and you live in Europe? Sure, we got ppl near you. Australia? Probably. Heck, we got ppl from Asia XD Basically, if you want to learn fighting games or get a chance to kinda experience the FGC in a more restrained setting, definitely join up. We're a blast.

Fighting games are the best with your friends. Too bad a lot of mine are either tryhards or get overly competitive and tends to start blaming the game intead of themselves. Now, the one who blames the game knows they do so, so they avoid Fighters like the plague, despite being pretty decent at them, its an odd conundrum XD

Yeah sometimes it's not fun when people's sodium levels get high and complain especially if you can feel the anger coming from them. Some people just have too much pride I suppose.

SC Lost Swords is kinda blegh tbh. Its a bit too restrictive at times ya?

Free to play wise: Nowadays it is, because they're forcing you to purchase new characters that gets released for $60. (Before you could just do the character quest to unlock them) And also the best equipments needs to be purchased from a box that gives you 10 random items for $21 each.

Mechanic wise: A lot of the characters have a smaller move list compared to the previous games but the combo and combat system is pretty fluid and when you pull off those long combos it is quite satisfying.

The only reason I'm still playing is because there's no new SC coming out. (Not yet anyways, maybe at Game Con or Tokyo Game Show?) And also because Taki is in it and is fun at times.

Also what is everyone's favorite moments in fighting games? For me it was last year's Evo where Justin Wong won Evo and since I attended it I felt the energy from the audience when Justin won very exciting. And also when Luffy won SF last year.

Edited by Fei Mao

Free to play wise: Nowadays it is, because they're forcing you to purchase new characters that gets released for $60. (Before you could just do the character quest to unlock them) And also the best equipments needs to be purchased from a box that gives you 10 random items for $21 each.

Mechanic wise: A lot of the characters have a smaller move list compared to the previous games but the combo and combat system is pretty fluid and when you pull off those long combos it is quite satisfying.

The only reason I'm still playing is because there's no new SC coming out. (Not yet anyways, maybe at Game Con or Tokyo Game Show?) And also because Taki is in it and is fun at times.

Also what is everyone's favorite moments in fighting games? For me it was last year's Evo where Justin Wong won Evo and since I attended it I felt the energy from the audience when Justin won very exciting. And also when Luffy won SF last year.

They did have that Facebook poll on who was everyone's favorites. And they did state it wasn't for LC...So just maybe....

My favorite moments had to be at this year's CB for Skullgirls. The amount of craziness and just absolute amazing plays by WingZero, SonicFox, SwiftFox-Dash, DeKillSage, oh man I was on the edge of my seat. Even my dad, who isn't a big fan of fighters or really understands fighters in general, was really getting into it. It was great!

Oh that sounds neat. A board game and Card game with a fighting game theming? Mind linking to these? Or at least like descriptions or pages for them? Count me interested.

Sure thing!

BattleCon: http://www.level99games.com/catalog/battlecon-line/3-battlecon-war.html

Yomi: http://www.sirlingames.com/pages/yomi

Yomi is also available for Steam and iOS

There is also a free-to-play version on the Fantasy Strike website http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

There's also a free-to-play BattleCon app on iOS, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The developers no longer support it since they're working on BattleCon Online which will be cross-platform,

so the app doesn't have the updated rules and cards and it's prone to crashing.

Edited by Shrouded In Myth

We'll see something at TGS. I hope.

• 1 month later...

I hope it's alright to update this thread. Looks like no new SC projects were announced at TGS Tsunami, however SC Lost Swords is closing down after November 30th, so possible new SC project later on?

Oh and a new KOF game is coming out for PS4 I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4USiQWK6Fw

I hope it's alright to update this thread. Looks like no new SC projects were announced at TGS Tsunami, however SC Lost Swords is closing down after November 30th, so possible new SC project later on?

Oh and a new KOF game is coming out for PS4 I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4USiQWK6Fw

Now look, I do believe that graphics is not important and gameplay is the core of a fighting game but what's with that graphics? The animations look so stiff and cheap! The faces belong to some 2000-ish games, not a 2015 game, on ps4, no less. I could rather play KoF 2001 than this one. And didnt they make a nice looking 3D KoF for PS3? What happened? It looked like they didnt even try. And dont talk to me about gameplay. From the trailer, it seems like there's no big chance in gameplay. Look, even Dead or Alive has better gameplay. Unless they dramatically change the core gameplay, there's no way this game gonna sell, especially when the most recent game didnt do very well either.