The things that you don't like about this game?

PuffPuff

Hilarious(ly sad) ending spoilers:

I really want to know why female Kamui became Gunter's advisor after he retired, and what that job entailed.

shes walking her own path :^)

Its especially frustrating how ambiguous Luna's ending is, I'd imagine if she was married to Marx then having all traces of her disappear would be pretty damn hard considering she'd be queen of nohr.

Edited by zoned out

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- The child mechanic

- Nohr's story

- Kamui in general

- Hoshido bias in the plot

- The weird female cavalier line and dark knight armor. I will never understand why the panty windows are needed.

- No children through gay marriage

Everything else is fine. I like the game so far.

Edited by Dolphin

The incest. No seriously, there is no exploring of the consequences of it aside from justifying it to allow fans their waifus/husbandos. This game was supposed to be about FAMILY for god sake.

Kamui being a generic shonen hero.

Kamui's and Shara's supports (Kamui just couldn't be his/her own character, could he/she? Always someone better...)

Note: I haven't even played the game.

-The Nohr Storyline(I actually really like Invisible Kingdom and Birthright despite some hiccups).

- Children returning. The explanation for their being is really forced and they have no bearing on the plot.

- Kamuisexuals. I like the characters(especially Yuugiri :wub:) but I wished they could support with other characters.

- Characters like Soleil(Faint looking at girls, talking to girls, obsessing overs girls yet I'm not gay or even BI? Oh and I'm going to flirt with my mom!), Camilla(Kamui this and Kamui that! I'll kill everyone for Kamui!), and Felicia(Clumsy girl is clumsy) who only have one gimmick or are just a pain in the a%#.

- The Skinship. The actual mini-game is weird but some of the character dialogue really sweet and at times gives me an extra insight into the character(This of course varies).

- The theme of Fates is flushed down the drain for.....

More waifus and husbandos by making the siblings love interests

- Along with the Skinship and kids there is way too much fanservice. The pandering is real in Fates!

- The way the supports are handled this time is confusing. There is mixed bag of quality in terms of the writing, every S-support for some reason ends with marriage instead of the two characters just being together, Kids can't talk to other characters but one another and their parents, a lot of recycling for certain supports, and the pairing endings are rather shallow from what I heard.....

- Dress up!

Edited by Iron Griffin

The incest. No seriously, there is no exploring of the consequences of it aside from justifying it to allow fans their waifus/husbandos. This game was supposed to be about FAMILY for god sake.

Oh, ugh, yeah that too. Why.

Yikes, how could I forget. You can't have a theme about family and then say "Well... sometimes they consider you family and sometimes they want to fuck you." It ties into the problem of S supports suddenly being romantic, except it's even worse because they convert sibling love to romantic love as if the two are even remotely related. Stranger still is that the siblings (who may or may not consider you like family) don't have anything to say about Kamui engaging in incestuous relationships with their other siblings. Camilla is probably the only one who has wanted to jump Kamui's bones since the beginning and none of the other siblings find that weird.

fire emblem's always had incest stuff lol

No one said it didn't.

That said, I don't believe any past FE game has had an option for having a kid with your sibling during the game's own timespan, let alone eight such options.

The situation in FE4 isn't really comparable. Tricking two siblings into conceiving a child was part of an diabolic scheme to create an evil empire. So it was both an act that the player had no control over and it was actually important to the story. Say about that what you want but that's a very different thing from a game offering the player their many siblings as if they were mere products placed on a shelf.

The sad part about it is that romantic feelings emerging in a sibling relationship are actually an interesting and very complicated topic and one that a game supposedly dealing with love should cover. Like, if there were 1 or maybe 2 siblings with romantic feelings, it could have been interesting. But just like with every question in regards to love and romance, the modern FE has no interest in it beyond milking it for comedy or of course fetish appeal: Just choose who turns you on. As soon as you give the word, every single one of them will suddenly want to get it on with you.

Edited by BrightBow

The things I hate:

Nohr and the third route's stories. So much wasted potential. Don't know enough about Hoshido's enough to judge it.

Them gender-locking Jakob and Felicia instead of letting the player choose the one they want from the beginning. Kanna, too. I don't know how they'd go about it, but I want male Kanna while playing as male Kamui. I'm sure some female Kamui players would like to have female Kanna.

How late some of the siblings join. I had a feeling the older brothers would join later, but I would've loved to have gotten them sooner and use them for longer.

I really hate how few same gender supports that characters get. The majority of supports are with the opposite gender for waifu reasons.

That Kamui isn't actually related to the Hoshido siblings.

Some of the characters really irritate me.

The implied romance between Kamui and Aqua.

Marx's English name...

Edited by Sir Frederick

- The child mechanic

- Nohr's story

- Kamui in general

- Hoshido bias in the plot

- The weird female cavalier line and dark knight armor. I will never understand why the panty windows are needed.

- No children through gay marriage

Everything else is fine. I like the game so far.

Well, if you count Kamui's S same-sex ending with Zero or Shara in the third route, they adopt a child. Why the heck this only happens in the third route instead of Nohr or Hoshido is beyond me.

Well, if you count Kamui's S same-sex ending with Zero or Shara in the third route, they adopt a child. Why the heck this only happens in the third route instead of Nohr or Hoshido is beyond me.

No one cares about the endings; it's about losing access to playable kids you'd get other ways.

Haven't even touched the game yet and I know i'm still going to love it. But:

-Magic Counter seems way too broken. Counter reflects damage if you're adjacent to an enemy, but magic counter reflects ALL magic damage. Hopefully I'm just overlooking a major detail in it's practicality.

-Holy Shit Defensive Formation is going to make ripples in the game. I wish it was more balanced/ a bit more nuanced than a simple "noone can double lol". The spam will be too real with this, counter, magic counter, and that doppelganger ability thing.

-Nohr's whole "no grinding becuz dats 4 noobz" niche. I get it, it definitely adds difficulty to the game. But how is someone with Conquest supposed to compete with fully grinded Birthright and Invisible Kingdom teams?

-I don't understand why infinite leveling was taken out. Monstrous caps + Limit Break broke Awakening far more than the continuous leveling ever did. All this does is make it more frustrating to gain skills.

-Genderlocked Witch and Ballistician classes :(

-Genderlocked children again. It was unfair and stupid in Awakening and it still is now.

I'm hoping someone can tell me my fears are stupid and i'm just ignorant because I haven't played the game yet. At the end of the day, I still think this will turn out to be the best fire emblem game so far.

-Magic Counter seems way too broken. Counter reflects damage if you're adjacent to an enemy, but magic counter reflects ALL magic damage. Hopefully I'm just overlooking a major detail in it's practicality.

-Holy Shit Defensive Formation is going to make ripples in the game. I wish it was more balanced/ a bit more nuanced than a simple "noone can double lol". The spam will be too real with this, counter, magic counter, and that doppelganger ability thing.

-Nohr's whole "no grinding becuz dats 4 noobz" niche. I get it, it definitely adds difficulty to the game. But how is someone with Conquest supposed to compete with fully grinded Birthright and Invisible Kingdom teams?

-I don't understand why infinite leveling was taken out. Monstrous caps + Limit Break broke Awakening far more than the continuous leveling ever did. All this does is make it more frustrating to gain skills.

-Genderlocked children again. It was unfair and stupid in Awakening and it still is now.

I'm hoping someone can tell me my fears are stupid and i'm just ignorant because I haven't played the game yet. At the end of the day, I still think this will turn out to be the best fire emblem game so far.

I'm pretty sure there's an EXP DLC that would allow Nohr players to grind as well, although it is a bit unfair since you have to pay extra to compete on equal grounds.

Really, my two biggest complaints are the writing and fanservice/pandering (which both have been delved into in detail already)(2nd gen goes under fanservice).

The characters in general seem to be a step up from Awakening's

even the ones who are from Awakening, though their presence goes under "fanservice"

, though there's still a smattering of one-note gimmick characters.

Besides that? No unique weapon icons.

BTW, have I mentioned that I haven't even played it?

Hilarious(ly sad) ending spoilers:

I really want to know why female Kamui became Gunter's advisor after he retired, and what that job entailed.

...Wow.

Edited by The DanMan

What do you mean by genderlocked children? You mean like how a male Kamui can only have two children if he marries Azura? Or something else?

Also Counter has been nerfed to not work when the user initiates the battle, so I assume that also holds true for Magic Counter. Because of this, literally all you need to do to avoid it is to not use magic on Player Phase to attack someone that has it. It can't destroy one of your units who has a magic weapon equipped on Enemy Phase, if that's what you're thinking. Rather, it looks like it will be useful as a defensive skill for units who are threatened by magic users, as it will make them think twice before attacking you (assuming your opponent is a human).

I lost an entire attempt at Nohr Chapter 14 because of Magic Counter (and it was reasonably hard), but I still don't think it's too broken. Suppose you have a bow wielder with both counters (so attacking with regular swords, lances, axes, magic and kunai will all suck). The presence of certain weapons (like the Reverse Shuriken) will still make said unit not really that terrifying.

The game really does promote defensive play in general, including the guard stance. That's a pretty big gripe. Against a team in guard stance, there is no reason to use attack stance at all.

I like the no grinding part. Makes it feel like Fire Emblem. Although I'd argue that instead of making it storyline-specific, they should tie it to difficulty. Or maybe make a proper postgame and only allows grinding after that point.

I do prefer limited levelling. If anything, being level 20 is another Fire Emblem-y thing. For the completionists, I think they should just sell the doping items directly instead of Eternal Seals.

Yeah, the gender lock is still silly, even though it's supposed to be a homage to the first two games. Much better than Awakening's case, but still.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Yeah I also died to Nohr 14 Magic Counter but it was just because I forgot the boss had it so I didn't try other strategies, which turned out to work just fine once I got back to that point. There are enemies with Counter, Magic Counter, or even both, and they're perfectly manageable.

- Hoshido gave player no freedom at all to customized their units

- No Second Seal

- Bullshit penalties for weapons, I rather had the weapon durability back

- Gameplay-wise they decided to cater completely to the veteran fanbase, ONLY optional features are catered to the new fans. I hope IS doesn't forget which fanbase is the one revived the series.

- Male Kamui look like complete utter shit compared to female Kamui

- A lot of Hoshido's characters look like shit

- Missing out one child units if I wanted to married a non-Kamuisexual girl is bullshit.

- Shara

- No-skin options, diversity my ass

- A lot of high hit rate miss and a lot of low hit rate hit

- Gameplay-wise they decided to cater completely to the veteran fanbase, ONLY optional features are catered to the new fans. I hope IS doesn't forget which fanbase is the one revived the series.

What type of gameplay features would you consider as catering to new fans? I thought the removal of weapon durability was supposed to be one of those, but you don't seem to like that.

I don't understand the alleged point about Hoshido players being unable to customize their units…. You can class change for skills… You get marriage seals and buddy seals to open up new class trees and skill combinations…. you can grind… you can get eternal seals…. what's your point, Awakener_? I sincerely don't understand what you mean.

-It's not that bad. On enemies, it just means a single weapon type won't be effective which isn't exactly a rare occurrence. On you it will have very situational usage.

-The skill system is far superior in Fates than it was to Awakening. Now rather than pointlessly grind up your characters 10's of levels, you change their class, gain a few levels to get the skills you want and then change to the next class.

The game really does promote defensive play in general, including the guard stance. That's a pretty big gripe. Against a team in guard stance, there is no reason to use attack stance at all.

Attack and guard stance are designed to balance each other out. If you are fighting a lot of enemies who can take advantage of attack stance, then guard stance is preferable but you also miss out on a lot of extra damage by not using attack stance. This is especially relevant if you have supporting characters who can either debuff the enemy or deal effective damage with weapons.

- Hoshido gave player no freedom at all to customized their units

- Missing out one child units if I wanted to married a non-Kamuisexual girl is bullshit.

- Shara

In the order that you posted:

-What customization were you hoping for and why is it just Hoshido that has this problem?

-What makes the gameplay more "veteran"-like and how is that a bad thing for newer fans?

-Missing out on one child isn't a big deal for Nohr because you likely won't be able to get all the children characters without grinding

-And if you don't like Shara, that solves the problem for Hoshido as well.

Edited by NekoKnight

Female Corrin isn't exactly great either; she has the whole battle panties deal. Seems like Corrin in general was not handled well.

Lack of skin color options is definitely an issue.

-Missing out on one child isn't a big deal for Nohr because you likely won't be able to get all the children characters without grinding

You can grind supports in Nohr via My Castle battles; it's the only way I got any of the kids. You won't get Exp or weapon levels, though.