The things that you don't like about this game?

PuffPuff

Hum... sorry to come in when I don't even have anything to say. I haven't play Fe:If so I can't tell what I truly like/dislike about the game.

But can someone explain me the

Please?

If you marry a regular first gen female you can't get all the kids because there is the same amount of first gen females as males. Aside from Femui and Azura, all the kids are tied to the males.

As Femui if you marry Syalla, you don't get Kanna.

As Mamui if you marry Zero, you don't get Kanna or Eponine.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for my own list of dislikes:

- Hoshido and Nohr are very clearly black and white, not a whole lot of grey. Disappointing.

- Marrying a first gen female as MaMU locks you out of a paralogue and child

- Disappointing Nohr storyline, was greatly looking forward to what they would do

- Nohr characters getting screwed over availability/stat wise in IK for the most part

- Harsh weapon penalties, probably will differ person to person but any sort of drawback deters me, for the most part I'll probably end up using iron weapons or equivalents thereof.

Letting yourself get deterred by drawbacks when the power of a weapon can give you great advantages is unwise.

An analogy:

Trust me, I used to have your sort of mindset when I played a certain card game, but gradually I came to the realization that "this letting me beat the enemy faster than they can beat me" was a quite valuable trait… as was exchanging a common and plentiful resource for a much more coveted resource, even if at a steep ratio. And time/tempo was a very coveted resource, as was the ability to remain on the offensive. Sacrificing 20% of my life total to destroy one enemy creature? Sure, if that meant that my powerful attackers would get to keep on pounding the enemy. Paying a bunch of my 20 life points for cards, at the rate of 1 life per card to basically get as many cards as I wanted in one turn (in a game where you normally only get one per turn). That was an amazing deal.

I could go on, but I'll end my analogy there.

I would imagine a similar principle would apply here in Fire Emblem Fates. You'll "pay" for the higher attack power or utility of the stronger weapons in one way or another, but you'll suddenly jump up to might values where you can easily kill enemies, gain capabilities normally out of reach with irons, etc.

Letting yourself get deterred by drawbacks when the power of a weapon can give you great advantages is unwise.

An analogy:

Trust me, I used to have your sort of mindset when I played a certain card game, but gradually I came to the realization that "this letting me beat the enemy faster than they can beat me" was a quite valuable trait… as was exchanging a common and plentiful resource for a much more coveted resource, even if at a steep ratio. And time/tempo was a very coveted resource, as was the ability to remain on the offensive. Sacrificing 20% of my life total to destroy one enemy creature? Sure, if that meant that my powerful attackers would get to keep on pounding the enemy. Paying a bunch of my 20 life points for cards, at the rate of 1 life per card to basically get as many cards as I wanted in one turn (in a game where you normally only get one per turn). That was an amazing deal.

I could go on, but I'll end my analogy there.

I would imagine a similar principle would apply here in Fire Emblem Fates. You'll "pay" for the higher attack power or utility of the stronger weapons in one way or another, but you'll suddenly jump up to might values where you can easily kill enemies, gain capabilities normally out of reach with irons, etc.

Someone's been playing Magic the Gathering, but yes, making sacrifices in the form of penalties to yourself allowing for more powerful effects is common in other games and can be quite powerful when used correctly.

Edited by Psyruby

What I don't like:

-Nohr path story (don't know about Hoshido or most of IK) and how black and white (pardon the pun) the two kingdoms are

-Supports aren't limited like the GBA games

-The contrived reason for kids returning

-Awakening clones, particularly the second gen ones. I was considering marrying Saizou but now it seems like a waste.

-How some supports are written, presumably an effect of the second point.

-Weapon durability being removed I am fine with, but a small gripe is that it's way harder to keep track of all the stat penalties of weapons and their effects than it is a decreasing number.

-

Not related to any of the siblings as an excuse for more marriage options. That was the entire deal, right? That you were siblings? The entire theme was family, wasn't it? I honestly just pretend that they are related and put my hands over my ears while singing loudly.

-Map design of IK. Especially Chapter 7. Who thought that would be entertaining?

The gay options are a crazy devotee stalker and a skeevy condescending torture fetishist. One of those options fathers a unique character that you are permanently locked out of if you have a same-sex relationship with him.

Meanwhile there are 26 other characters in the game who are either Kamuisexual or second-generation who do not bear unique children and yet cannot have same-sex romance with each other or with the player character. One of them is a woman who explicity hits on other women.

Also, the bathouse. I don't get it. The only purpose is serves is to stare at your units in their underwear, but your units are just low-poly models with flat texture faces. If you put up with fanservice for gameplay, you'll find no gameplay there; and if you want to see sexy warriors in their skivvies, you'll be disappointed by the graphical limitations.

The gay options are a crazy devotee stalker and a skeevy condescending torture fetishist. One of those options fathers a unique character that you are permanently locked out of if you have a same-sex relationship with him.

Meanwhile there are 26 other characters in the game who are either Kamuisexual or second-generation who do not bear unique children and yet cannot have same-sex romance with each other or with the player character. One of them is a woman who explicity hits on other women.

Also, the bathouse. I don't get it. The only purpose is serves is to stare at your units in their underwear, but your units are just low-poly models with flat texture faces. If you put up with fanservice for gameplay, you'll find no gameplay there; and if you want to see sexy warriors in their skivvies, you'll be disappointed by the graphical limitations.

I do wonder about what the point of the onsen was. If you want to check out the models of the characters in revealing outfits, you can always go to the accessory shop. As far as what goes on in the onsen, there are two main scenarios that can happen. You walk nto the same gender bath and get some dialogue from other characters like "Taking a bath sure is nice." "Eyup" or you walk into the opposite gender bath and get "Get out Kamui, you baka hentai!!" "Sorry, I'll go now!"

I do wonder about what the point of the onsen was. If you want to check out the models of the characters in revealing outfits, you can always go to the accessory shop. As far as what goes on in the onsen, there are two main scenarios that can happen. You walk nto the same gender bath and get some dialogue from other characters like "Taking a bath sure is nice." "Eyup" or you walk into the opposite gender bath and get "Get out Kamui, you baka hentai!!" "Sorry, I'll go now!"

Hell, the Shop lets you see the swimsuits on any character, at any time, with more angles, better lighting, and without having to pay a dime. Anyone who really wants to look at a low-poly ninja in a sexed-up toga (???) or a vampire bikini (????) wouldn't waste their time with the bathouse.

Maybe it would be more tolerable if it at least raised Support levels, or if you found a random item left in the bath, or if you gained temporary stat bonuses for the units in the bath. But as it is, it is absolutely pointless.

And the occasional "kamui-san! Hentai desu yoooo!" *Kamui runs in panic* stops you from using it like normal, so it is even more useless

This game is fantastic, fuck anyone who says otherwise.

That said: Forging is pretty meh. I don't like the generic icons for every boost item at all. Also, no swimsuits in battle is pretty upsetting as well since you can have any other accessory show off the bat.

Other than that, good stuff.

Among other things, I'll address a specific issue I have - battle panties with some of the female units, especially because it's so impractical. Elfie is, by far, the worst example - she wears a giant suit of armor that covers almost every part of her body, except her ass. Does she expect the enemy units won't attack her from behind because they're too busy staring? Sophie also suffers from this, predictably, and I'm sure others do as well. At least with Camilla and Orochi, it's in-character, but with Elfie and the others, it's nonsensical. It's fan-service for the sake of fan-service.

It's a shame since Fire Emblem has, up until this point, usually been consistent with realistic-to-semi-realistic female armor designs. Now, it's becoming a problematic distraction to make them overtly sexy when nothing calls for it. Fanservice has its place, but not when it comes to fighting on a battlefield. Let's just hope it doesn't get worse in the future.

Well, that's it for my therapeutic bitching, not that it's a bad thing.

Number 1: The shameless pandering

Number 2: Kamuisexuality and Kamui in general.

Number 3: The character's stupidity and the terrible, implausible plot of the game

Number 4: The awful designs

*I was going to explain in detail why, but thanks to butter fingers I lost my entire paragraph.

Edited by L9999

The forging system.Why u so complicated!?Like seriously 128 of the same weapon to get a maxed forged version.

How easy it is to hack already.

I had something typed up but I lost it, so I'll just bullet points it. From order of most to least controversial.

• Overt sexuality that comes across as more uncomfortable than attractive, coming across in the designs, many supports, and My Castle.
  • Embarrassing portrayal of sexual minorities. I thought that the Tharja clone, of all characters was the best-portrayed one of the bunch, which doesn't look good for IS.
  • The plot is worse than I anticipated. Hoshido is good, but Invisible Kingdom is written even worse than Awakening, and the maps are a bit worse in that campaign too. Azura is also bad for the plot itself, because she is a pants-on-head idiot when it comes to military tactics.
  • While it's nice that it returned from Genealogy, the marriage system simply is not going to work in this current gen of FEs plotwise. The presence of C-A rank GBA style supports for everyone means that couples will have poor chemistry because the game demands they have to marry. Keeping the first generation of units because of aversion to permadeath means we will have Outrealms to explain why the kids are there. Take out marriage for now, bring it back later when trends change, and focus on fewer but better written supports.
  • Write the supports better. Have recently found out the process of how they were written in Awakening, there needs to be a movement away from the 'quirk A meets quirk B' paradigm that is often used in its writing process. Focus on organic interactions - characters are not individual traits, they are larger wholes.
  • Avatar. It has never been handled well from New Mystery on and there is no indication that it will be handled well in the future. Take it out or soften its role, and take the focus away from player worship. It's a trend started by New Mystery that needs to die yesterday. (It's actually amazing how many bad ideas New Mystery started that we complain about, if you take a closer look at it)
  • Would have liked voice acting in supports. Even something like Awakening's grunts and catchphrases would have sufficed.

tl;dr don't pander, remove marriage

Edited by HeoandReo

Among other things, I'll address a specific issue I have - battle panties with some of the female units, especially because it's so impractical. Elfie is, by far, the worst example - she wears a giant suit of armor that covers almost every part of her body, except her ass. Does she expect the enemy units won't attack her from behind because they're too busy staring? Sophie also suffers from this, predictably, and I'm sure others do as well. At least with Camilla and Orochi, it's in-character, but with Elfie and the others, it's nonsensical. It's fan-service for the sake of fan-service.

I didn't believe this until I checked Maurice's Cosplay Reference Pack in Dropbox.

Are you effing serious?

This is beyond ridiculous.

The closest there is to those two are Siegbert's too-tight leggings.

Yeah, I'm really starting to hate the Art Director. Just... WTF?

Edited by The DanMan

-Marx/Xander rant

In both stories he is a spineless fool who thinks daddy can do no wrong and everyone who even suspects Garon to be evil must be a traitor. He is acting all noble and stuff but when Garon and Co. appear he suddenly becomes a silent coward. And he still thinks daddy is right. He didn't even honor his little sisters wish to not fight Kamui because this man is stubborn beyond belief and it's his own fault for dying afterwards. This guy also never develops in conquest, only after seeing fake Garon does he aknowdlege that he was in the wrong which would imply that he would be fine with all these atrocities if this would have been the real Garon.

Sorry if I offended any of you Xander fans but I seriously can't stand his story character. Haven't read his supports but I doubt they will be good enough that he can be saved by his horrible story portrayal.

Iago and Ganz are just annoying

- The growth rate of some characters just don't make any sense

-Nohr's story->almost as badly written as Xander

-Even if they advertised it as such, I still wish Hoshido's gameplay would be less.. straightfoward(although map gimmicks can be fun)

Everything else is fine.

Edited by RadiantDragon

-Marx/Xander rant

In both stories he is a spineless fool who thinks daddy can do no wrong and everyone who even suspects Garon to be evil must be a traitor. He is acting all noble and stuff but when Garon and Co. appear he suddenly becomes a silent coward. And he still thinks daddy is right. He didn't even honor his little sisters wish to not fight Kamui because this man is stubborn beyond belief and it's his own fault for dying afterwards. This guy also never develops in conquest, only after seeing fake Garon does he aknowdlege that he was in the wrong which would imply that he would be fine with all these atrocities if this would have been the real Garon.

Sorry if I offended any of you Xander fans but I seriously can't stand his story character. Haven't read his supports but I doubt they will be good enough that he can be saved by his horrible story portrayal.

Xander suffers the most from Conquest's horrible writing out of all the siblings, that's for sure. That said, his supports are surprisingly good for the most part, so while his role in the main story is pretty bad, his character outside of it isn't - Ryouma, on the other hand, is a snoozefest in terms of supports to my knowledge.

no swimsuits in battle is pretty upsetting as well since you can have any other accessory show off the bat.

The thing I dislike most about this game is its fanbase. Edited by Arch

The links won't load.

Dropbox is a bit iffy sometimes; trying again is all that I can say.

Xander suffers the most from Conquest's horrible writing out of all the siblings, that's for sure. That said, his supports are surprisingly good for the most part, so while his role in the main story is pretty bad, his character outside of it isn't - Ryouma, on the other hand, is a snoozefest in terms of supports to my knowledge.

Xander is partially explainable by the whole "abusive relationship + memories and dedication to the father that was" (doesn't change the fact that IS's "writers" had to be have been smoking something nasty when they did the Nohr story).

Also, interesting fact: in a couple of his supports, Ryouma lampshades how straightforward and boring he is. Doesn't change the fact that he's Mr. Perfect, but humorous nonetheless.

Edited by The DanMan

Dropbox is a bit iffy sometimes; trying again is all that I can say.

Xander is partially explainable by the whole "abusive relationship + memories and dedication to the father that was" (doesn't change the fact that IS's "writers" had to be have been smoking something nasty when they did the Nohr story).

Also, interesting fact: in a couple of his supports, Ryouma lampshades how straightforward and boring he is. Doesn't change the fact that he's Mr. Perfect, but humorous nonetheless.

Xander's motives, thoughts and feelings are never in focus in the entire main story of Conquest, which leads to his actions - and lack thereof - feel strange and nigh inexplicable. It's just odd, not to mention flat out boring, to watch him accept everything through gritted teeth and yet still

not even ever having thought of killing Garon.

. He talks about "the good of the nation" but seemingly does everything that would lead to it suffering, and a few supports mentioning his past won't change the incredible incongruity.

Oh yes I know, but lampshading something and yet not subverting the lampshaded trope is nothing more than a cheeky wink at best, and something that makes the player facepalm at worst.

Marx is an absolute gentleman in his supports, but the plot, especially in Conquest, does not always reflect that.

He's a weird case of a character with supports I like, but don't necessarily like them in the story proper.