What is it like to play these games on console?

ruadath

I've always played the GBA Fire Emblem games on emulators (namely, VBA), and the same for similar TBS games like Advance Wars. When doing so, I always double or triple the screen size to get a much nicer view of the game. What is it like to play on console? I can't possibly imagine having the same kind of experience while staring at a screen that's barely 2 inches long.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear a comparison from anyone who has done both.

Well I can answer for both the Wii U VC versions of the games and the original GBA carts as I have both. On the Wii U they play rather smoothly only thing to keep in mind is that the bigger the screen the more pixelated the sprites and such will appear. I play on on 27in HD moniter through HDMI and I get by with it. Restore points while kinda cheating are a god send for stupid "1% crits type moments" that cause you to restart entire chapters. Of course restore points and save states are not available on the GBA carts so thats something to keep in mind.

As far as the GBA versions go there's not much to say other than that its the original game on the original system. I do personally think that the sprite work and graphics look better on the smaller screen and less pixelated but its a small thing for me so I prefer to play them on my Wii U.

It doesn't feel bad with by means, but I prefer using my PS3/4 controller to play games and screen filters are nice. I just take my fe7 cart with me when it's not practical to take my laptop and slowly progress through a file.

Well, to be honest, I like to play on consoles, the screen just doesn't make or break the experience for me. So I'd say it's a pretty okay thing. If anything really, the small size of the gbasp was the only issue for me

On the other hand, the turbo button on emulators is just fantastic. That's just about the main one up emulators have over consoles, for me anyway.

Particularly since Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones are available on the Virtual Console, I honestly think there's no excuse not to play them on the Virtual Console (unless you have the GBA cartridge and play on the GBA exclusively).

Binding Blade is a different matter.

Edited by Paper Jam

I never particularly liked playing any sort of handheld game on my PC using an emulator. The games for these handhelds were specifically designed with the handheld's screen size in mind. Increasing the emulator's resolution results in poor picture quality, but keeping it at the default resolution makes it hard to see on a PC monitor.

I never particularly liked playing any sort of handheld game on my PC using an emulator. The games for these handhelds were specifically designed with the handheld's screen size in mind. Increasing the emulator's resolution results in poor picture quality, but keeping it at the default resolution makes it hard to see on a PC monitor.

Perhaps it's this. I suppose I'm completely fine playing PSP games on console, even though the screen is rather small, but would find it annoying to do the same on a computer with the same screen size. So maybe the screen size looks fine on the GBA, just terrible on the larger screen of a PC?

It just stretches it out more than anything else like you see things become more pixelated like the lances on the cavaliers for example. Its bearable but definetely noticable. Nothing game breaking about it though IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

They really should introduce some kind of visual filters for the virtual console stuff. The user-made emulators have all kinds of cool tricks. I know it's not that relevant to fire emblem but the texture filters they added to the ePSXe emulator are so good.

So long as you're willing to invest in an SP headphone jack, playing GBA titles on their original hardware is preferable. You get the convenience of portability, the games look better with native resolution, and it's easier to multitask. Small screen size isn't detrimental since the games are designed with it in mind. Emulation's speedup and save-state functions are useful for some runs, but otherwise I think going original is the definitive way to play.

• 2 weeks later...