Fixing Fates story issues (spoilers)

Yari

I can't believe so many people think that it would be better if the Hoshido siblings were actually related to Kamui. Don't get me wrong I do agree it would be better but my screaming Ryoma fangirl doesn't want him to be Kamui's brother. He's the only guy that has husbando material. I feel mixed feelings towards the not blood siblings thing because of it.

Come now there are plenty dudes in the cast who are made of husbando material. You try finding a handful of decent waifu characters for a Male Kamui because for me very few make the cut. :sob:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come now there are plenty dudes in the cast who are made of husbando material. You try finding a handful of decent waifu characters for a Male Kamui because for me very few make the cut. :sob:

He's only who has shonen hair, red armor (I love red), samurai, looks hot, is cool, his supports are good and is a hot samurai. No one but him is for my Femui.

Yeah waifu are a bit harder to find but I want Flora to be Mamui's waifu in the fic. She's a cute, not clumsy, blue haired maid.

He's only who has shonen hair, red armor (I love red), samurai, looks hot, is cool, his supports are good and is a hot samurai. No one but him is for my Femui.

Yeah waifu are a bit harder to find but I want Flora to be Mamui's waifu in the fic. She's a cute, not clumsy, blue haired maid.

Ah so it comes down to a check list? :^_^:

As for the second part if that is the direction you are heading then I'm looking forward to see how it progresses. It should be a rather unorthodox pair up. Then again I don't know what the average pairings are for either gender hahaha.

Edited by Iron Griffin

Everyone one here has such great ideas! Thank you all for helping!

I decided to call my fic Destinies (because it's the best that comes to mind) it will be publish around the time the game comes out in the west, in ff.net it will be adventure/fantasy (because magic and dragons) T+ rating (just to be safe) and it will be a little dark but not too much blood and guts.

I am fine with Kamui not being blood-related with Hoshidan siblings, but let them be ignorant of it until a crucial point. Hasn't anyone considered the fact the Kamui betrayed his/her foster family, who loved him/her regardless of blood or not, believing that their rightful place is amongst their "true" blood family. And then they up and just, "actually no, you are not really our sibling. We lied to you". Being twice lied about their origin, who wouldn't be upset?

Personally I'll do this with Kamui's dragon power: It's real freaking OP as fuck, seriously it's a dragon transformation. it's weak in game. And he'll almost never use it in Nohr for obvious reason said above.

Oh, and there's a difference of size between InBattleDragonKamui and CutsceneDragon Kamui.

Eh, it could be useful as a second persona too.

I am fine with Kamui not being blood-related with Hoshidan siblings, but let them be ignorant of it until a crucial point. Hasn't anyone considered the fact the Kamui betrayed his/her foster family, who loved him/her regardless of blood or not, believing that their rightful place is amongst their "true" blood family. And then they up and just, "actually no, you are not really our sibling. We lied to you". Being twice lied about their origin, who wouldn't be upset?

Sigh. Why this couldn't have been in the game ?

Plus.

Ryouma apparently know that perfectly well. That douchebag. :p

Edited by B.Leu

Sigh. Why this couldn't have been in the game ?

Plus.

Ryouma apparently know that perfectly well. That douchebag. :p

Yeah, there is a whole pot of personal conflicts that Kamui/Corrin could have dealed with and that was what advertised. Suddenly, after ch 6, the whole family theme is completely gone.

Yeah, there is a whole pot of personal conflicts that Kamui/Corrin could have dealed with and that was what advertised. Suddenly, after ch 6, the whole family theme is completely gone.

Family should be the theme of game. In the end the reason my Femui will join Hoshido is partly due to being lied by the Nohrians. I plan on making Hinoka, Takumi and Sakura being related to my twins Femui and Mamui. Of course Mamui will be upset with the Nohrian siblings but will side with them anyway because they're family to him.

Family should be the theme of game. In the end the reason my Femui will join Hoshido is partly due to being lied by the Nohrians. I plan on making Hinoka, Takumi and Sakura being related to my twins Femui and Mamui. Of course Mamui will be upset with the Nohrian siblings but will side with them anyway because they're family to him.

Eh, while reading your post I thought about some (rather good) fanfic I've read on AO3, where FemKamui often qualified the nohr sibblings of liars was reccuring.

Just wanted to talk about this good memory.

Edited by B.Leu

Eh, while reading your post I thought about some (rather good) fanfic I've read on AO3, where FemKamui often qualified the nohr sibblings of liars was reccuring.

Just wanted to talk about this good memory.

It's more like she being angry, actually remembering little memories from Hoshido and the horrible state of Nohr that made her turn from her adoptive family she will eventually realize her anger was a bit too much.

Mamui will also call the Nohrian siblings liars but he is less impulsive and very loyal and is able to forgive them and fight at their side. This is how I think it should go anyway.

Edited by Yari

I considered dabbling in some fic for this, but honestly there isn't much of a point. To fix Fates, you would have to destroy two thirds of the plot and revise it completely. Hoshido can remain relatively unscathed (albeit with some rather troubling editing), but Nohr is nigh unworkable as is and the 3rd Path DLC carries with it so many plot inconsistencies and contrived situations that you have to wonder if these three stories really take place in the same Outrealm or not. Then there's the issue of the children, and the issue of the supports and their quality. Then there's the issue of My Castle and how one could properly integrate it, as it comes across as a rather jarring plot device and an excuse for babies and face rubbing in the current game. Then there's the issue of aesthetics, culture, and worldbuilding, most of which is quite one dimensional and cardboard cut-out in nature. And this is all just the tip of the iceberg.

Everything in Fates, down to its story, features, characters, fanservice, and music, suffers from the same problem of wanting to have its cake and eat it too. It tries to do so many things that it accomplishes none of them effectively. The director has learned nothing. The writers have learned nothing. The composers have learned nothing. It makes me hesitant to devote time to fixing it the way I've dedicated time to Awakening's issues.

I do have an outline of what I would do if I gave it the time of day, but I doubt anyone would be interested in reading it. Fan fiction in general suffers from the same lack of quality most media does nowadays, but to a greater extent that attracts poorer reading comprehension. Also, unlike my current Awakening project, my take on Fates is a tad more malicious toward the fan base and the game concepts itself (hence why no one would be interested in reading it).

I just can't see a good rewrite or fix-it fic coming out of this game. Over 70 retellings of Awakening exist, but the ones that are worth reading are less than the fingers on my hand. And that game is insanely easy to fix in comparison to Fates.

I considered dabbling in some fic for this, but honestly there isn't much of a point. To fix Fates, you would have to destroy two thirds of the plot and revise it completely. Hoshido can remain relatively unscathed (albeit with some rather troubling editing), but Nohr is nigh unworkable as is and the 3rd Path DLC carries with it so many plot inconsistencies and contrived situations that you have to wonder if these three stories really take place in the same Outrealm or not. Then there's the issue of the children, and the issue of the supports and their quality. Then there's the issue of My Castle and how one could properly integrate it, as it comes across as a rather jarring plot device and an excuse for babies and face rubbing in the current game. Then there's the issue of aesthetics, culture, and worldbuilding, most of which is quite one dimensional and cardboard cut-out in nature. And this is all just the tip of the iceberg.

Everything in Fates, down to its story, features, characters, fanservice, and music, suffers from the same problem of wanting to have its cake and eat it too. It tries to do so many things that it accomplishes none of them effectively. The director has learned nothing. The writers have learned nothing. The composers have learned nothing. It makes me hesitant to devote time to fixing it the way I've dedicated time to Awakening's issues.

I do have an outline of what I would do if I gave it the time of day, but I doubt anyone would be interested in reading it. Fan fiction in general suffers from the same lack of quality most media does nowadays, but to a greater extent that attracts poorer reading comprehension. Also, unlike my current Awakening project, my take on Fates is a tad more malicious toward the fan base and the game concepts itself (hence why no one would be interested in reading it).

I just can't see a good rewrite or fix-it fic coming out of this game. Over 70 retellings of Awakening exist, but the ones that are worth reading are less than the fingers on my hand. And that game is insanely easy to fix in comparison to Fates.

I have to say that I agree with you. Though I have yet to see Fates' story, I can deduct that it's more of half-baked story with patches to plug the plot holes, which do not work at all. That is different from Awakening, which more or less did not explore anything, leaving the rest to fans imagination and thus making it easy to fill with your own stuffs. Even so, the Awakening fics that exist are either one-shots or short story to promote the author's pairings (especially Robin x somebody) instead of dedicating time and effort into themes and concepts into the story. The fics that aim for a full story tend to deride after awhile and becomes a hit-or-miss, though for me, they are usually misses.

The concept and premise of Fates is really good, it's just the presentation that is horrible. To truly make it a good fanfic, it requires an author to think outside the box, rather than just adhere to the canon plot and "mend" it. Again, that is a total hit-or-miss as well. I myself don't think I will see a Fates fanfic that I am satisfied with until at least a year after the English release, when the author has spent time on making plans and concepts after playing and replaying the game, rather than just base on the hype of the game (which is dying now).

I know there a lot of things that need to change or go for good. I have a couple of ideas to what to do with the 2 gen problem. It's a bit like FE4 only not killing the characters or at least not most of them. My castle will suffer a lot of changes the skinship and accesories thingy will disapear not sure about the hot springs and the third path will suffer changes to be able to fit the Hoshido and Nohr storyline as well as some characters will have changes to fit the story better (like Aqua, Lilith, Hydra/Anakos, Garon...) and supports will be rewritten or changed for the sake of good writting and of course a lot more. It's a huge project that's why I want to start my work on it sooner rather than later. I can do it I have to believe I can!

This is going to take a year and half to be completed at the least!

Edited by Yari

Could you at least post an outline? To be frank, your rewrite got my attention at how would it be "malicious" towards the fanbase along with the game. Edited by Alazen

Could you at least post an outline? To be frank, your rewrite got my attention at how would it be "malicious" towards the fanbase along with the game.

I'm a bit curious about that too. I don't know how it could be malicious towards the fanbase and game.

Could you at least post an outline? To be frank, your rewrite got my attention at how would it be "malicious" towards the fanbase along with the game.

I'm a bit curious about that too. I don't know how it could be malicious towards the fanbase and game.

If you are interested, I could post an outline tomorrow since I don't have the time to right this second. The outline itself would be quite lengthy as there are three separate stories to cover like the game.

If you are interested, I could post an outline tomorrow since I don't have the time to right this second. The outline itself would be quite lengthy as there are three separate stories to cover like the game.

Yes please. Thank you very much!

I think I could post the things I'm planning to do change in the fic without spoiling it too much.

Edited by Yari

I said, 'vigilante style a la Yuri Lowell from Tov when no one is looking'. I didn't mean 'charging at Gantz with a sword in front of everyone'. Subtlety people, subtlety.

Kamui already killed lot of people before y'know. :p

The only difference is that Ganz is a monster, nothing more, no matter how I look at it, the karma metter won't bulge much. I'm not saying it will make Kamui more naive though after, but you see what I mean.

You know, having Ganz killed can be used in many many way, he's kind of a general, who kill people left and right. Rumors of a dude who kill corrupted generals like Ganz... it will change things. A lot, and there's a lof of possibilities.

That would make Garon and co kinda paranoid so, that sounds like a bad things, but he can't really say 'You did it', especially with the sibblings just right there.

That would badass symbolically speaking, Kamui change, and he decide to change Nohr....

Does this sounds like a crappy fanfic ? Tell me, to save my ego.

Actually, this sounds like it could be made into a good fanfic, if written well.

For me the things that should have been there to make the Nohr path better.

1) as you mentioned, Kamui should secretly kill off a lot of the more evil leadership, specifically in a way where they just seemed to have vanished, make it look like died during the battle, or were just found dead.

2) Going around gaining allies among the less evil nobility and military leadership. Help them out so that they will support you when things get to the point of needing to openly rebel. Also they would give you more influence to change things before it comes to that. Should not be just getting them to owe you and like you, but also convince them why your way is right.

3) Undermine the more damaging effects of the war, doing your best to reduce civilian casualties, provide relief, that sort of thing.

4) most importantly, Kamui must willingly do horrible evil things to remain in Garon's favor long enough to make a difference. Then have the story deal with this, the guilt Kamui is facing due to all the atrocities he had to commit to save the nation itself and build a better future. Truely then he would be the light in the dark like the game tries to say, the one who sacrificed his own soul to bring like to an dark nation.

2) Going around gaining allies among the less evil nobility and military leadership. Help them out so that they will support you when things get to the point of needing to openly rebel. Also they would give you more influence to change things before it comes to that. Should not be just getting them to owe you and like you, but also convince them why your way is right.

This is good. I didn't think about this but it's brilliant! Thank you! One more person to add the to my fanfic's credits list.

Actually, this sounds like it could be made into a good fanfic, if written well.

1) as you mentioned, Kamui should secretly kill off a lot of the more evil leadership, specifically in a way where they just seemed to have vanished, make it look like died during the battle, or were just found dead.

3) Undermine the more damaging effects of the war, doing your best to reduce civilian casualties, provide relief, that sort of thing.

4) most importantly, Kamui must willingly do horrible evil things to remain in Garon's favor long enough to make a difference. Then have the story deal with this, the guilt Kamui is facing due to all the atrocities he had to commit to save the nation itself and build a better future. Truely then he would be the light in the dark like the game tries to say, the one who sacrificed his own soul to bring like to an dark nation.

Hey look, what I thought Conquest would be!

This hurts as I wish Nohr was this.

As long as he doesn't become Super-Emomui, I'm perfectly fine with your idea, because, really, if he did his best, he have no reason to angst at all... and I hate angst so freaking much.

Though you know, if he have the capacity to do things on his own, he should have the capacitiy to not do most evil things that he is ordered to do, especiallly since he have people behind him.

Of course, when Daddy or MacBeth (I can't believe that's his japanese name) is looking, Kamui's screwed. Except if he has a plan but that would be so freaking convenient and bad as hell... one the other hand, if Kamui didn't expected that...

Truly, the writers of If didn't know what they were doing, or were bashed around left and right. :/

Edited by B.Leu