I can't get over a Blatant Lie in Advertising (Spoilers)

UnknownUber

And then you start to realize that the point of making Kamui unrelated to the Hoshidan royalty is so you can waifu them with no regrets, this is exaaaactly what I've been "whining" about this whole time. IS makes terrible decisions, and carelessly undermines the integrity of their designs in the name of blind "fanservice." If you thought it was going to get better after Awakening, lol.

They're tripping over themselves trying to sell this game to you.

Here's to hoping FE16 is everything we ever dreamed of and more. Cheers!

Edited by Arch

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it all depends on point of view.

The games did a poor thing about it though...neither side may be related to you but they are family in the end....its probably the fact that the main character can practically S rank everything that moves in the game that makes that whole thing go bonkers...that is my main complaint.

Another thing that irritates me is that Kamui not being related to them is supposedly never touched upon during the game unless you S-rank one of them. That's what I've heard anyway. If that's true, then they really did it just so the player could S-rank the Hoshido siblings without it being true incest. They threw away the blood vs loyalty premise just so people could waifu all the siblings...

Edited by Sir Frederick

Frankly, I find the consequences of what happens after the decisions more interesting than the premise of the decision itself….

It doesn't excuse making the excuse the way it did, but perhaps people are fixating a bit too much on this at the expense at looking at the larger story?

One thing that really bothered me was.....

The parent hazard syndrome striking again. I think even if the Hoshido siblings were no really your brothers and sisters Mikoto is still your mother. It might have been cool if stuck around a little longer so their could be this mother and child bonding. Hell they could bump her off if they still wanted to but I think it would been a bit refreshing if they held off on doing so since it seems to be a death sentence to be the parents of the heroes....

Edited by Iron Griffin

All the promotional material for Metroid on the NES referred to Samus using male pronouns, and I don't see anyone calling bullshit on Samus being revealed as female upon completing the game.

The idea of Samus being male was never used as a part of an advertising point for the game. For Fates, "you are blood related to the Hoshido siblings" was critical to the main advertising point of the game's story.

Plus you do realize that that game's been out longer than most people here have been alive, right? It's ridiculous to call people out for not being frustrated about a "twist" that was part of how they initially became familiar with the character.

Frankly, I find the consequences of what happens after the decisions more interesting than the premise of the decision itself….

That could make for an interesting story. What were the consequences of the decision? How did Kamui feel about siding with the blood relatives, then finding out they weren't?

This is actually one of the reasons why i decided to spoil the whole thing for myself. Had i gone in blind expecting no S ranks with one side (Hoshido) and accidentally getting one or something, i would have been rather angry. I can understand people's gripes about it, to be honest, but im just no longer arsed about it myself.

This is actually one of the reasons why i decided to spoil the whole thing for myself. Had i gone in blind expecting no S ranks with one side (Hoshido) and accidentally getting one or something, i would have been rather angry. I can understand people's gripes about it, to be honest, but im just no longer arsed about it myself.

You wouldn't "accidentally" get one. You have to select the option to have a new support conversation for it to happen, like all the others, and it seems in this game at S rank you even get a warning about only having one per character. Plus, you can see right off the bat how many support levels a pair of characters can have; you have it right in your face that they go up to S even while just selecting a C support.

What astrophys said. I had seen it this way the whole time and never felt like there was a problem with it.

agreed, also they are family through marriage/adoption(nohr), they're real mother does have a name Ikona while nohr the family is half siblings through concubines, nohrs "advertisement" was because people had way much expectations before the release with only speculations and no facts and of course the 3rd path ties everything together from the unknown attack, fake Garon, dead takumi, dark Dragon, the true fire emblem, etc.so all in all there was no lie. Edited by DragonLordKamui

You wouldn't "accidentally" get one. You have to select the option to have a new support conversation for it to happen, like all the others, and it seems in this game at S rank you even get a warning about only having one per character. Plus, you can see right off the bat how many support levels a pair of characters can have; you have it right in your face that they go up to S even while just selecting a C support.

Imagine going through the game and not really realizing that every character has an S rank option right off the bat. You are pretty engrossed in how the plot moves. On top of that, the tutorial discusses A+ supports and you thinking "Ill A+ Ryouma!" still not realizing just yet that Kamui cant do that. All the sudden, a prompt comes up to S support and you click it not really thinking about it. Next thing you know, you are marrying your lobster brother. For newer players especially, this is a scenario that could pop up.

How many people accidentally paired Lucina with Owain or something? A couple people have.

Imagine going through the game and not really realizing that every character has an S rank option right off the bat. You are pretty engrossed in how the plot moves. On top of that, the tutorial discusses A+ supports and you thinking "Ill A+ Ryouma!" still not realizing just yet that Kamui cant do that. All the sudden, a prompt comes up to S support and you click it not really thinking about it. Next thing you know, you are marrying your lobster brother. For newer players especially, this is a scenario that could pop up.

How many people accidentally paired Lucina with Owain or something? A couple people have.

Again, this isn't Awakening. You have to not only get the support points and make the support level, but you even have to click through the special warning box that comes up at every S or A+ support. Not impossible but it should be extremely rare.

Who's "you-know-who"?

Anankos/Hydra? I don't get it. I'm confused. Why would Takumi and Sakura be half siblings then but not Hinoka and Ryouma?

Well, what I was going for was that if the game really wanted to make Kamui the child of Hydra and Mikoto, then it would not be possible for Ryouma and Hinoka to be related to Kamui unless Mikoto was unfaithful to Sumeragi. Takumi and Sakura are younger than Kamui, though, so they don't have an excuse to be unrelated aside from "because the creators wanted to".

These sorts of things don't really upset me, if I still enjoy the end product then I don't mind the developers deciding to start from one position and change it to another during the course of the narrative. Even if the reasoning may seem superficial, I don't think complexity should be lauded above everything else. Sometimes it's fine to be a little shallow (probably says more about me than anything, haha!).

Also, my view may be somewhat biased by both my love of otome-style games (so marriage and romance and all that jazz is totally my thing) and Ryouma (I knew from the first trailer I was going to align with Hoshido for him, sibling or no!).

Whilst I can appreciate the feelings of betrayal that some gamers might be feeling, I still think the most important thing is whether you enjoy the game itself. If, because of that perceived betrayal, you cannot enjoy FE14 for what it is, then fair enough.

I still think it's an amazing game and I'll still enjoy blowing down my mic so that I ruffle Ryouma's hair. Yeah. That's the kind of girl I am...

They pretty much lied about everything.

'Hoshido:Unite with your blood relatives to end the war!'

They aren't your blood relatives

'Nohr:Reform the kingdom from within!'

You don't reform jack shit

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

I hate to be that guy, but you not being related to your relatives, it's not a plot twist, it's called shitty writing, especially if it's never touched unpon/developped/mentioned, except for the oh so glorious golden path, oh wait, it's still barely mentioned/developped...

No need to go into complicated justification. It's shitty writing. They BSed our face. Point. Don't lie to me.

Speaking of that, you not being related to any of your Hoshido sibbling could actually have been used for something good, but it's never, ever, even touched upon or developped at all. Or if you call thoses convenient as hell and poor ass S-rank support 'developed'.

Seriously, that bad writing, that waste of potential, it's just sickening.

It's a great thing that the gameplay is just blabantly awesome as hell.

Edited by B.Leu

I'm sad that game companies more and more often only tell half-truths. It's not that they're (completely) lying to us, but they leave more often a lot of important information left out or unclear. At least in my experience.

This whole Fire Emblem Fates happening will come down to this:

[spoiler=5 stages of Grief and Loss]

stages-of-grief-624x252.jpg

Don't worry guys... we'll get to that last hurdle. In the end, when we're old, we'll think of this as "Ah yes.. 'Fire Emblem Fates'"..

In the end, when we're old, we'll think of this as "Ah yes.. 'Fire Emblem Fates'"..

Don't bet on that. Most/Some will likely forget about it/repress memories of it by the time we get "old". That's just how this industry is.

I was expecting great a storyline but it was kinda... eh. Hoshido's was typical, and Nohr's was... Not as bad as some people make it out to be IMO, but still not good. Many things were left unexplained or just handwaved away and left me wanting to smack my face onto my table. Like the supposedly related but suddenly unrelated to everyone thing.

Although plotwise I do think that unavoidable deaths was a nice touch.

One of the most disappointing parts was that though this game was marketed based on "choice", there's only 1 main choice. A pretty big choice, but just one. There was another choice you could make in Nohr but it was minor. Where's all the choices at!? Why aren't there alternate paths within each game!? Alternate endings!?

Most importantly, WHY WASN'T THERE A CHOICE TO SHANK GANZ BACK IN THE EARLY CHAPTERS? Things would've gone so differently...

...Well, at least it wasn't the poop choice from Awakening where it doesn't even matter what you choose...

Edited by teddybearyt

...Well, at least it wasn't the poop choice from Awakening where it doesn't even matter what you choose...

You're right, it's far worse.

"You've got three options, two are incorrect and the last makes them obsolete anyway."

It's not much of a choice.

In Awakening, there's no reason to ever make the "wrong" choice. In Fates, there's plenty of reason to choose to side with Hoshido or Nohr, arguably more reason than there is to side with neither.

You're right, it's far worse.

"You've got three options, two are incorrect and the last makes them obsolete anyway."

It's not much of a choice.

Gotta stop you there. How is it far worse? No path is technically 'incorrect'. You side with who you wanna side with or you ignore both sides and do your own thing because you like both families equally. Every path leads to many changes, gameplay wise and story wise. Which is more than Awakening did since it was always just one straight path with no changes at all.

I was expecting great a storyline but it was kinda... eh. Hoshido's was typical, and Nohr's was... Not as bad as some people make it out to be IMO, but still not good. Many things were left unexplained or just handwaved away and left me wanting to smack my face onto my table. Like the supposedly related but suddenly unrelated to everyone thing.

Although plotwise I do think that unavoidable deaths was a nice touch.

One of the most disappointing parts was that though this game was marketed based on "choice", there's only 1 main choice. A pretty big choice, but just one. There was another choice you could make in Nohr but it was minor. Where's all the choices at!? Why aren't there alternate paths within each game!? Alternate endings!?

Most importantly, WHY WASN'T THERE A CHOICE TO SHANK GANZ BACK IN THE EARLY CHAPTERS? Things would've gone so differently...

This. If there were more choices in game and multiple endings each route, would have been nice.

Gotta stop you there. How is it far worse? No path is technically 'incorrect'. You side with who you wanna side with or you ignore both sides and do your own thing because you like both families equally. Every path leads to many changes, gameplay wise and story wise. Which is more than Awakening did since it was always just one straight path with no changes at all.

Considering that one side loses in Nohr or Hoshido paths, but both sides win and with the "best for everyone" ending in the third path, I'm pretty sure the third route was intended to be the best path.