General US Politics

Ansem

if nothing else, i'm voting d for the prospect of a blue scotus once scalia kicks the bucket

also at a trump rally in nevada yesterday, another black dude got beaten up

apparently someone yelled "light the motherfucker on fire"

honestly all of this has me scared shitless now.

Edited by Radiant head

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me repeat something I posted in this thread a while back: "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."- Winston Churchill

Incidentally, Sanders and Trump are the only people in the entire race who are not whores. I don't blame them. The American system is an environment where very few non whores can get into power. Trump is a racist non whore, but a non whore nonetheless. Still prefer Sanders.

Edited by blah2127

I'm a Republican. I am more prepared for Mrs. Clinton to disappoint me than most. ;)

Trump is a racist non whore, but a non whore nonetheless. Still prefer Sanders.

Perfectly understandable. Even I prefer Sanders to Trump. Such is the state of the Republican party.

I'm looking for any reason not to vote Hillary. This will probably the first time I've ever voted in a primary.

Someone on the Republican side, I'm begging you, please give me a reason to vote for you.

Best case scenario is Sanders winning and vetoing stuff for 4 years because congress won't work with him on anything. Tis a depressing time we're in.

Perfectly understandable. Even I prefer Sanders to Trump. Such is the state of the Republican party.

trump and his supporters are the endgame of your party's half-century-long electoral strategy of courting dixiecrats, birchers, falwell-types, tea partiers and the like. chickens coming home to roost, reap what you sow, mickey mouse shitting his robes as the brooms flood the room, whatever. don't think you can wash your hands of him because he's rude and buffoonish

trump and his supporters are the endgame of your party's half-century-long electoral strategy of courting dixiecrats, birchers, falwell-types, tea partiers and the like. chickens coming home to roost, reap what you sow, mickey mouse shitting his robes as the brooms flood the room, whatever. don't think you can wash your hands of him because he's rude and buffoonish

There's a shred of nobility within some of the less reactionary tea partiers, at least as it pertains to expressing their disillusionment with a leader that does not even pretend to understand or respect their values. This is less true for the Dixiecrats who the Republicans unfortunately cannibalized in order to maintain electoral relevancy in an era when the Democrats were having their cake and eating it. Did they care about civil rights or were they the party of the south? Were they the party of states rights or the party of the ever expanding and all encompassing federal government? Something had to give, and it did.

Nevertheless I don't think your characterization of the Republican Party is entirely fair. You fail to mention the single most influential wing of the party that led to a revolution in the late 70s and created an environment where Bill Clinton could pass Republican legislation and earn the adoration of his party. I am of course referring to fiscal conservatives and civil libertarians. Given that modern Democratic campaigns are centered around solving all of our problems by shaking the money tree it remains the most important divide between the two parties.

An ailing Republican Party is as bad for liberals as conservatives, even if we lose the presidency yet again. The Democrats will instead become complacent, or are we not already witnessing this considering the Clinton campaign is sleepwalking their way to the nomination?

It's more "There are no good canidates period. I don't want to vote for her but the alternatives suck. Show me a republican canidate that I can justify voting for and I'll do it in a heartbeat." than anything.

Hillary and Trump are at the bottom of my list of who I want as president. If that's what's available in the general election, I'm voting third party, in protest.

Trump can't be actually being considered a major contender, right?

right?

I have VERY little faith in the American public. Because Trump has more than zero people who frantically cheer for him.

Hillary and Trump are at the bottom of my list of who I want as president. If that's what's available in the general election, I'm voting third party, in protest.

I thought about that but non of them have even a remote shot at winning.

I long for the day when a third party will have a legitimate shot at the presidency(like with the republican party in 1860s for example).

On a side note: Anyone watching this "intellectually stimulating" debate going on right now? lol

Edited by Pete Rose: Baseball Legend

The entire debate right now is pretty much "Stop talking let me talk!" "But it's my turn!". Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure our only choices will end up being Trump or Clinton, in which case intervention in the Middle East is inevitable. Clinton is probably the lesser of two evils. I don't think Rubio awful for a Republican, his foreign policy is more liberal than that of most Republicans, if that's any consolation. Granted, I don't know if I'd vote him over Clinton, but I'd take him over Trump or Cruz any day. I'd honestly vote Paul if he wasn't so likely to drop out.

Edited by Sniper Knight

The voting base is split too heavily between Republicans who don't support Trump. If some of the candidates *coughFiorinaCarsonandChristiecough* dropped out, the scores would be that much more concise. Maybe someone would stand a chance against Trump and we wouldn't be so screwed.

Edited by Sniper Knight

as someone who dearly values the civil rights act i am ecstatic to see rand floundering so hard

also this is from an article back at august, but imma post it anyway

Paul's ideological inconsistency charge is a wash the moment it emerges from his mouth. You could throw three darts randomly and hit three different policies he's had on undocumented immigrants. He was for reducing aid to Israel, until he met billionaire Sheldon Adelson, who is for giving money to candidates who like Israel. He was against all intervention in the Middle East until he realized that everyone running in the Republican Party has to oppose the Iran deal. He shamed other Republicans for not reaching out to the black community, then lectured Howard University students with the old (and to them wholly non-revelatory) fact that the NAACP was founded by Republicans, then met with slavery apologist and militant criminal Cliven Bundy. He wanted to reduce the military budget before he called for increasing it by 16 percent. He deplores overseas adventurism, but something something about Syria and ISIS, and he's going to milk the word "Benghazi" until it's raw. And it's only a matter of time until his principled stand against government surveillance turns into an all-out rush to have Hillary Clinton's skull borg-implanted with a polygraph and a GoPro.

Incoherent argumentative self-sabotage is what happens when a campaign is probably falling apart, but it may be even worse in a macro sense. If you're someone who intermittently follows politics, you probably don't have a sense of the unstinting tone of the Rand Paul Experience. And despite how fundamentally gross it is to talk about people's "brands," Brand Paul has always been nearly as important as anything Rand Paul says.

Because, as noted above, what Rand Paul says is at best a mishmash at any moment. He cannot stray too far from the Ron Paul machine he inherited and that elected him, but he can't embrace it at the expense of the conservative machine that could get him through the primaries. He ends up betraying both, and embodying neither.

Edited by I.M. Gei

Probably, yes, but the other candidates are so awful that it's better to be optimistic about the few that don't completely suck. Paul is pretty moderate, though that means that most Republicans hate him, and Rubio's foreign policy is a lot more open to negotiation than Trump's or Cruz's.

there's nothing "moderate" about randy's stance on the civil rights act

posted ad nauseum itt, but the fact that the paul family views the passage of the civil rights act not as a proud moment in our country's history which liberated millions of their countrymen from literal de jure apartheid-esque conditions, but instead as a massive overreach of federal government power that infringed upon their "property rights" to chase anyone who fails a paper bag test out of their medical offices with noose in hand, really gives away the ruse imo

also here's another two fun facts: he may have done a filibuster on overseas drone strikes two and a half years ago, but he is a-okay with drones chasing down and blowing up shoplifters. he also wants to reform the american disabilities act because "it's unfair to businesses"

y'all are looking at rubio and paul through rose-tinted glasses

rand paul doesn't know what he stands for and the only thing that's un-conservative about marco rubio is that he's the son of cuban immigrants

tbf, cubans are the most likely latino group to skew conservative, though younger gen-x and millennial age cubans are much more liberal than ones cruz and rubio's age and older

Edited by I.M. Gei