General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rand Paul sounds pretty good, but after digging past the surface it's pretty clear that he just believes in whatever is convenient at the time. But still it's nice to have someone sound sane on drugs and foreign policy.

Don't plan to ever watch this debate though. I had enough of the previous ones.

I don't know enough about Paul in detail to have a firm stance on him but I've always thought that out of the GOP candidates he'd be the least problematic one. At least he seems to have a few good ideas which is more than you can say about the rest of the GOP candidates and indeed the democrats as well

all that glitters is gold

but seriously, as clever as that democracy quote is, please stop attributing it to churchill

Um, why? If he didn't say it, I stand corrected, but pretty much everything is telling me he said it.

when bush went at trump and trumps response was "doesnt matter im at 42% and you're at 1%(I think)", it reminded me of when i was in middle school and there was a kid that I was fighting who kept going "i'm more popular than you". i felt for bush when i saw that.

I don't know enough about Paul in detail to have a firm stance on him but I've always thought that out of the GOP candidates he'd be the least problematic one

i guess if you only get your news from RT, which likes him and doesn't give a shit about how he's fine with tens of millions of nonwhite americans being consigned to jim crow 2: electric boogaloo if white businessmen just want the freedom to tell us "we don't serve your kind here, boy, now get out of here before we hang you from the tree out back", you'd probably think that

Edited by I.M. Gei

This is Paul's official position on the Civil Rights act as of two years ago.

"It's a mischaracterization of my position. I've never been against the Civil Rights Act, ever, and I continue to be for the Civil Rights Act as well as the Voting Rights Act. There was a long, one interview that had a long, extended conversation about the ramifications beyond race, and I have been concerned about the ramifications of certain portions of the Civil Rights Act beyond race, as they are now being applied to smoking, menus, listing calories and things on menus, and guns. And so I do question some of the ramifications and the extensions but I never questioned the Civil Rights Act and never came out in opposition to the Civil Rights Act or ever introduced anything to alter the Civil Rights Act."

- Rand Paul on April 10, 2013

It's a pretty terrible response that creates more questions than answers, but nevertheless this definitively invalidates the notion that he supports Jim Crow.

Um, why? If he didn't say it, I stand corrected, but pretty much everything is telling me he said it.

i need a source, e.g. a speech in which he made such a quote. nowhere have i seen the quote sourced, and many claim that churchill never said it.

Attempting to determine a politician's sincerity is a tricky thing. My guess is he's backpedalling after making a divisive comment that was meant to woo the strict anti government crowd that Ron Paul so successfully caters to. Rand's entire persona has been a bridge between the Tea Party and Libertarianism. For my part the results leave something to be desired, but I think it's disingenuous to extrapolate from his kinda sorta ambivalence to the Civil Rights Acts that he seeks to herald in a new age of mid century American racism.

Rand actually wants to win so he'd never go full "all government is bad government" like his dad. At least if he's smart...

Ron will stick to his principals nomatter the cost(not getting any votes), Rand realizes that he can't win an election that way so he's modifying his stance on many things.

All I get from that is that he's aware of how bad it would be to openly oppose it.

yeah seriously, he got caught with his pants down on the civil rights act five years ago and has been furiously trying to backpedal since; you could tell on npr back then, when the interviewer asked him if he'd considered that some people would view his desire to repeal the civil rights act as legalizing racism, that it threw him, since it was something he'd never had to think about in his libertarian, right-wing circles.

he knows that if he wants a shot, he has to shed his image as a racist to any interested parties, especially racial minorities, and shit like him seeking out cliven "let me tell you one thing i know about the negro" bundy's endorsement says a lot more about him than his half-hearted attempts to walk back his anti-civil rights act stance. i spit on him and his "attempts" to curry favor with minority voters

Rand actually wants to win so he'd never go full "all government is bad government" like his dad. At least if he's smart...

lol that you think this, given that ron paul supported doma and repeatedly pressed "life begins at conception" legislation and attempted to repeal lawrence v. texas at a federal level and decried the end of apartheid in south africa as "the end of civilization" in that country in his newsletters

apparently all government is bad government, except when it can be used to repress gays and nonwhites!

how do you know

call it a hunch

Edited by I.M. Gei

This is a transcript of the NPR interview. Judge for yourself whether Rand's position is inherently racist or not. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126985068

he knows that if he wants a shot, he has to shed his image as a racist to any interested parties, especially racial minorities, and shit like him seeking out cliven "let me tell you one thing i know about the negro" bundy's endorsement says a lot more about him than his half-hearted attempts to walk back his anti-civil rights act stance. i spit on him and his "attempts" to curry favor with minority voters

Campaigning on behalf of a racist over a non racial issue suggests that Rand is racist by proxy? The more people carelessly swing that word around the less meaningful it becomes.

yeah i don't care to distinguish between whether rand paul actively wants a return to jim crow, or whether he'd be totally fine with jim crow returning as a result of the civil rights act being repealed for "freedom" and "business rights" and other libertarian boilerplate, because there's no functional difference between the two to me

Edited by I.M. Gei

when bush went at trump and trumps response was "doesnt matter im at 42% and you're at 1%(I think)", it reminded me of when i was in middle school and there was a kid that I was fighting who kept going "i'm more popular than you". i felt for bush when i saw that.

Yeah, I think one of Trump's worst crimes was making Jeb Bush sympathetic and likeable by being a total douche to him (and by Bush actually calling out some of the awful things Trump said).I mean, no way in hell am I going to vote for a Republican anyway, but Jeb is actually emerging as one of the least-bad options.

For me it was the other way around. The one thing I liked about Trump is when he called out the "my brother kept us safe" garbage.

True, there is that. Also, Jeb isn't the only Republican to call Trump out on his crazier shit (pretty much all of them except Cruz, who's clearly a suckup, have called Trump out at some point).

However, that whole "lol im moar popular than u!" shit is still very dickish and unprofessional.

I read a quick recap of the Republican debate.

Rubio and his stance on the NSA is awful, and I sincerely hope he doesn't get the nomination. Cruz was a little more reasonable, until he decided to bash Obama. . .and someone who needs to promote themselves by stepping on someone else's head tells me that they don't think their argument can stand on its own merits. I refuse to acknowledge Trump, especially after his comment on Muslims. Just about everyone seems to be against accepting Syrian immigrants, which I disagree with.

In other words, I don't like where the Republican party stands right now.

Yeah, all the Republican candidates are against accepting Syrian refugees I'm pretty sure(maybe one of the irrelevant ones is for it?) The 'loosest' stance was Jeb Bush saying that we should only accept the Christian refugees, which has its own problems.

iirc a reporter caught jeb with his pants down when she asked him what would be a litmus test for christian refugees and he couldn't give an answer

They could force them to eat pork chops to make sure they aren't muslim!

i'd imagine plenty of american conservatives in a whitebread bubble would have plenty of trouble distinguishing between, say, assyrian christians and arab muslims

ooBIoPG.jpg

M68A0QE.jpg

HUlscTo.jpg