General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly you'd need something that's cause less damage and pollution to our planet, the fallout from using one can last quite awhile without being cleaning it up.

i mean japan is fine now sure, but it took awhile to fully recover from the nukes.

Not to mention that Fat Man and Little Boy are nowhere near as powerful as what we can pull off nowadays.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/1669575/ingeniously-charting-the-horrifying-power-of-todays-nuclear-bombs

Gary Johnson forgot/didn't know the name of a critical Syrian city, Trump doesn't know why we don't use nukes. The bar is set very differently.

Here were some other examples of his knowledge when questioned, albeit from last September.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/04/donald-trump-difference-between-hamas-hezbollah-quds-kurds

Apparently, Clinton called half of Trump's voters "deplorable". Doesn't she have someone who's hired to make sure she doesn't say stuff like this?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-half-donald-trumps-supporters-basket-deplorables/story?id=41993204

It's the easier path to go. Remember when Mitt Romney disparaged 47% of the public because he believed they were beneath listening to him? At least in that case it was somewhat in private.

She did supposedly apologise for it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-basket-of-deplorables/

I would t call it a gaffe. Those voters weren't going to vote for her anyway, after all.

It shows a lack of respect for the people she hopes to lead. I'm not a fan of Trump, and he's hardly one to not use colorful language, but that doesn't mean she should stoop to his level.

I don't think she's quite stooped to his level, because her intention was to call out racism, whereas Donald Trump's intention was to be racist. She followed up the deplorables with "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic," though saying half of all supporters are that is not necessarily true.

Difference being that Hillary showed some acknowledgement that she's isolated part of the population of the country whereas Donald Trump is making a platform out of it. Having that said, her comments were still pretty inappropriate (don't get me wrong), "basket of deplorables" is a pretty awful thing to say.

Edited by Lord Raven

I don't really think she cares. She apologized, but I doubt she's truly sincere.

Quite a few Democrats, and a bunch of her supporters probably agreed with her.

Not only that, but those people were never going to vote for her, and she theoretically does not need them to win the election.

It shows a lack of respect for the people she hopes to lead. I'm not a fan of Trump, and he's hardly one to not use colorful language, but that doesn't mean she should stoop to his level.

I disagree. I don't think she's wrong about Trump supporters, and respect isn't something to be given out, it has to be earned. That said, I do think she as well as a good deal of American leftists are guilty of moving away from supporting the poor, driving them to Trump's camp.

I disagree. I don't think she's wrong about Trump supporters, and respect isn't something to be given out, it has to be earned. That said, I do think she as well as a good deal of American leftists are guilty of moving away from supporting the poor, driving them to Trump's camp.

Respect is earned, sure, but there are many more Trump supporters in America than the entire population of my country; you can't make such sweeping generalizations regarding such a huge number of people. Besides, respect is a two-way street; how is she supposed to inspire the people she insults like this, and why would they respect her?

As far as I know - and correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not American - there's a growing frustration with the establishment, which Hillary Clinton essentially symbolizes. Comments like these won't help her mend that gap.

Again, I'm not a fan of Trump. I think Clinton would be a much better president than him, but this stuff shouldn't be tolerated by anyone, just like Trump's comment and outbursts.

Hillary made a generalization and apologized for it. Of course, that won't be enough; she probably doesn't even mean it! Because she's Hillary Clinton.

Contrast with the Trump method of handling gaffes: not only refuse to apologize, but double down on what you claimed and then whine about political correctness. Followers eat it up. It dominates the news cycle for a week.

EDIT: My point being she still hasn't stooped to his level.

Edited by Crysta

As far as I know - and correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not American - there's a growing frustration with the establishment, which Hillary Clinton essentially symbolizes. Comments like these won't help her mend that gap.

As far as I can tell, it's the working class and other assorted groups who've been ignored by the current establishment growing disillusioned with said establishment and Hillary, being the establishment candidate with Wall Street connections to boot, isn't really going to be very popular with said demographic.

i do remember hearing that this is similar to what Romney did in the 2012 elections and i'm sure that didn't help him either

speaking of, i heard trump re tweeted Obama's tweet about the issue way back in 2012, https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/248112876240379904

would obama say the same thing today?

i do remember hearing that this is similar to what Romney did in the 2012 elections and i'm sure that didn't help him either

speaking of, i heard trump re tweeted Obama's tweet about the issue way back in 2012, https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/248112876240379904

would obama say the same thing today?

Click on the link, second reply I see is a person holding a gun in their profile pic saying that Obama is a "vile unpatriotic muslim".

gg America. gg...

Click on the link, second reply I see is a person holding a gun in their profile pic saying that Obama is a "vile unpatriotic muslim".

gg America. gg...

i didn't even look at any of the replies, while i will agree with vile and unpatriotic, i find it hard to believe the muslim part.

but yeah, twitter was a mistake, but i'm more amazed that trump or someone on his team managed to fish a 4 year old post off of twitter, i don't use the site but i'd imaged that'd take alot of time.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

i didn't even look at any of the replies, while i will agree with vile and unpatriotic, i find it hard to believe the muslim part.

but yeah, twitter was a mistake, but i'm more amazed that trump or someone on his team managed to fish a 4 year old post off of twitter, i don't use the site but i'd imaged that'd take alot of time.

It also reeks of desperation to be honest, but meh. It's not like Trump can disappoint me more than he already has.

Edited by Phillius

It also reeks of desperation to be honest, but meh. It's not like Trump can disappoint me more than he already has.

Trump's tactic is to speak to the baser human emotions. In other words, I think he'll find a way to disappoint you further. Right now, his voter base disappoints me.

Personally, I occasionally watch videos from a few outspoken Trump supporters on youtube that found their way into my recommended videos just to see differing opinions. Now I've seen a few people that have a streak for conspiracy theories, many of them citing Alex Jones as a great person, one in particular saying that if Hillary wins, he's going to start preparing for a nuclear winter (from Russia and the US), including buying material currency, gas masks and constructing shelter. That's kind of amusing to me.

Then again. Maybe I've just been playing too much Fallout.

e: from that person's profile:

"FOLLOW ONLY TRUMP SUPPORTERS! WEAR RED election day. Will block ALL LIBERALS AND CLINTON SUPPORTERS #CCOT,#TRUMPTRAIN,#2A NO LISTS! W/BLOCK YOU IF PUT ON LIST."

At least she makes the distinction between liberals and clinton supporters, right?

Edited by Tryhard

You'd really call President Obama vile and unpatriotic? I don't think George W. Bush was a good president at all, but I don't think I'd go as far as to call him 'unpatriotic'.

You'd really call President Obama vile and unpatriotic? I don't think George W. Bush was a good president at all, but I don't think I'd go as far as to call him 'unpatriotic'.

President obama is vile and unpatriotic. there i said it, deal with it.

also duyba bush was a pretty bad president, i dislike the guy too.

i will say i have no idea what someone's opinion on obama has to do with someone's opinion on bush, but eh.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

She was telling you to justify those claims, because they make zero sense.

She's also saying "I didn't like Bush as a president but that doesn't mean I should call him unpatriotic," so she was assuming because you didn't like him you called him unpatriotic.

Saying "I said it, so deal with it" is pretty immature and pretty much going into soapbox territory. I don't actually know if you're ever willing to have discussion in this thread, because it really goes along with the rest of your posts here - which just seems to be a soapbox where you only respond to people who share your views.

Edited by Lord Raven

To be fair, I would have a hard time calling Bush unpatriotic too, but that's because his policies could easily be described as jingoistic, not because I found him a bad president, which I did.

Of course that was a bad thing in this case. So first you would have to explain why an abstract definition of 'unpatriotic' would necessarily be bad.

I mean, Hillary makes the same claims and I don't agree with them either.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/08/hillary-clinton-trump-unpatriotic-scary-putin

Edited by Tryhard

To be fair, I would have a hard time calling Bush unpatriotic too, but that's because his policies could easily be described as jingoistic, not because I found him a bad president, which I did.

Of course that was a bad thing in this case. So first you would have to explain why an abstract definition of 'unpatriotic' would necessarily be bad.

I mean, Hillary makes the same claims and I don't agree with them either.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/08/hillary-clinton-trump-unpatriotic-scary-putin

Well, here she's claiming it for a specific reason (praising a foreign dictator who has an agenda not aligned with the United States). I'd rather focus on policy rather than calling someone unpatriotic, but I see the line of thinking here.

I often see the claim that Obama is 'unpatriotic' or 'hates America' and I'm wondering as to the specific reasoning behind that claim.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Respect is earned, sure, but there are many more Trump supporters in America than the entire population of my country; you can't make such sweeping generalizations regarding such a huge number of people. Besides, respect is a two-way street; how is she supposed to inspire the people she insults like this, and why would they respect her?

Again, I'm not a fan of Trump. I think Clinton would be a much better president than him, but this stuff shouldn't be tolerated by anyone, just like Trump's comment and outbursts.

Eh, fair enough, I suppose half was a bit much. I don't have any respect for the intellectual Trump supporters; the people on the Alt-right, the neo Nazis, and the Ultranationalists. Admittedly they do probably make up less than half, though.