General US Politics

Ansem

This speech though...

"The forgotten men and women will not be forgotten any longer"

"Now is the time for America to bind the wounds of division and come together"

"I will be a President for all Americans"

I guess now time will tell both a) if he'll act on it and b) what that will look like.

Rhetorically though, I'm loving his speech.

Do you have a non live link? Everything I'm trying to view is bogged down by lag.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what little it matters, Hawaii's votes are in. It was 63/28, in favor of Clinton. Looks like a good chunk of the voting population came to the same conclusion as me, and decided to vote for neither.

the niceness will last about a day if that

someone is bound to trigger him lol

the speech wasn't terrible by his standards... but his standards are pretty low to begin with.

Edited by Crysta

Panic in my country. We're political opposites, so it's met with disgust, shaking heads and fear of Russia.

Yep, nothing like anti-NATO policy to do good for Europe /s.

Oh well, at least my country (Australia) is in with the US, so we probably won't have it so bad. Our party leader is indifferent to Trump, but they're our GOP equivalent, so fuck.

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

Very few people here in Prague are pleased. Prague, though, is liberal, and the Czech countryside is conservative. Given that these are the same people who voted for President Miloš "schools shouldn't have to treat the mentally retarded differently" Zeman, they're probably on board with Trump. Zeman is also pretty damn pro Russia, and is even an ex-Communist. But yeah, here in Prague its mostly shock and anger.

How's the rest of the world taking this turn of events?

Pretty much everyone here is hating it

I will say this however, it appears that americans have become the laughingstock of the world, considering the reactions I'm seeing.

Half the board here is from outside the USA, if that's any indication.

Figured as much.

Very few people here in Prague are pleased. Prague, though, is liberal, and the Czech countryside is conservative. Given that these are the same people who voted for President Miloš "schools shouldn't have to treat the mentally retarded differently" Zeman, they're probably on board with Trump. Zeman is also pretty damn pro Russia, and is even an ex-Communist. But yeah, here in Prague its mostly shock and anger.

Interesting. What do you see potentially happening regarding future relations?

How's the rest of the world taking this turn of events?

Canada is losing its mind.

We voted very liberal early this year and Trump is literally the polar opposite of our Prime Minister.

US/Canada relations are going to be fun!!

goodnite everyone, I'll leave you all with some words

I remember when I was in high school a teacher told me something.
the quickest way to kill a friendship, is to talk about religion or politics.
don't let this year's election ruin your friendships.

Pretty much all my British friends and family are waking up and posting, 'does this mean we're no longer the world's stupidest nation?' (almost word for word my dad's status)

This made me chuckle. Thanks, I needed it.

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

Pretty much all my British friends and family are waking up and posting, 'does this mean we're no longer the world's stupidest nation?' (almost word for word my dad's status)

Think of it like this: when the US learned about Brexit, they told the UK "Dude, hold my beer. WATCH THIS."

Bit of shock over here I'm pretty sure. Nothing official said yet.

Also, was hearing his presidential acceptance speech. Holy crap, it really is that simple language, and it makes sense he'd get as much votes as he did. Also we couldn't help but make the comparison of a line that sounds like it came from, of all things, Paw Patrol. I'm not trying to joke about this, there's a line where he went "no dream is too big" and we all noticed it. (And we have that idea because my niece loves that show). It's kind of incredible that those were the words out of a president. Though no, I do not think he's going to be a great president.

So no, not enthusiastic. My parents are taking note of his ownership of a golf course in Doonbeg, and linking the two as a good thing, but I'm not seeing it.

goodnite everyone, I'll leave you all with some words

I remember when I was in high school a teacher told me something.

the quickest way to kill a friendship, is to talk about religion or politics.

don't let this year's election ruin your friendships.

Well, a friend already left a group conversation after I asked her for specifics when she started raving and said World War 3 was coming, so who knows how she'll act upon seeing me in school for asking questions.

The rest of Europe hasn't forgotten what England did, believe you me.

The jury is still out. Have faith!

EDIT: Considering the date, I think we've won now guys!

Edited by Crysta