General US Politics

Ansem

12 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

On the other side, I think Brett Kavanaugh is probably going to be Trump's SCOTUS nominee unless he ends up listening to someone else and the Michael Cohen flip appears to have come forth.

Always interesting to see what the Conservatives think of Trump appointees.

I wonder if some of them are catching onto the fact that he may have not been about draining the swamp.

Oh, who am I kidding, if they accept John Bolton, they will shut up and like whatever.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

Always interesting to see what the Conservatives think of Trump appointees.

I wonder if some of them are catching onto the fact that he may have not been about draining the swamp.

Oh, who am I kidding, if they accept John Bolton, they will shut up and like whatever.

Hahah that's hilarious. They'll say no to the guy suggesting that the President should be exempt from prosecution and investigation, which Trump is really attracted to given current circumstances, simply because of association with with previous administrations? Morons all around.

But yeah you're right, they will take whatever Trump chooses in the end because many of them are admitting that they don't care that Trump lies. Makes you wonder how insane this support is, like if Trump went and fucked one of his supporter's daughters because she "reminds him of Ivanka", would he report it to authorities or demand his kid to say she gave Trump consent? Ugh.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Hahah that's hilarious. They'll say no to the guy suggesting that the President should be exempt from prosecution and investigation, which Trump is really attracted to given current circumstances, simply because of association with with previous administrations? Morons all around.

But yeah you're right, they will take whatever Trump chooses in the end because many of them are admitting that they don't care that Trump lies. Makes you wonder how insane this support is, like if Trump went and fucked one of his supporter's daughters because she "reminds him of Ivanka", would he report it to authorities or demand his kid to say she gave Trump consent? Ugh.

I feel as though a good portion of those that could vote at the time probably voted for Bush twice, too. It wasn't until 2007 and 2008 that you suddenly had people that refused to admit they did. I wonder if it'll be the same with Trump (not the second term part though, or I'll just start making a plan to leave this planet)

I was willing to be sympathetic at the start even if I thought Trump was a pretty big lunatic. But even after the first six months of this farce I really can't see how some people can defend what this guy says. Actually, it's not even defending, sure there's a few people who like for example during his campaign talk when he said how he was going to murder the families (civilians) of terrorists on Fox News were in support of it, the crazy ones, most Trump supporters just ignore when he says dumb shit and pretend it never happens. When he does do stupid shit, I almost never receive any answer to my criticism or questioning of him because it's indefensible, yet people still support him afterwards. Frustrating.

I was willing to be somewhat diplomatic before but these days it seems all I do is comment about how this man is the most hypocritical person I've ever seen in a cynical way as well as a liar and con artist. No one has convinced me this is not the case.

Edited by Edgelord

1 hour ago, Edgelord said:

I feel as though a good portion of those that could vote at the time probably voted for Bush twice, too. It wasn't until 2007 and 2008 that you suddenly had people that refused to admit they did. I wonder if it'll be the same with Trump (not the second term part though, or I'll just start making a plan to leave this planet)

I'm sure there will be people who refuse to admit it. At the very least, if Trump ends up in jail for his crimes, you'll have the younger Trump voters deny that they voted for Trump because it'll affect their chances of getting laid like it's happening with staffers lol.

1 hour ago, Edgelord said:

I was willing to be sympathetic at the start even if I thought Trump was a pretty big lunatic. But even after the first six months of this farce I really can't see how some people can defend what this guy says. Actually, it's not even defending, sure there's a few people who like for example during his campaign talk when he said how he was going to murder the families (civilians) of terrorists on Fox News were in support of it, the crazy ones, most Trump supporters just ignore when he says dumb shit and pretend it never happens. When he does do stupid shit, I almost never receive any answer to my criticism or questioning of him because it's indefensible, yet people still support him afterwards. Frustrating.

Trump supporters make no sense to me and In most cases it appears to be mostly just blind faith in Trump and the desire to not think about things too much. In others, it is people who are just plain horrible who know that Trump is a complete piece of shit but they'll ignore all of that if the results they desire are being seen. Here's a tweet response to the radio host tweet I linked earlier

We all know he’s far from perfect. We know he exaggerates and some of his tweets make me cringe. But I look at the results James. Our country is in so much better shape than it was before he came along. I like having him in the Oval Office 

What results? How is the country better? It sucks to say this but I think it's best to just dismiss them as a cult and ignore them until they show willingness to listen and we need to face facts, some people in the country really are just plain terrible. There's a viral video showing some dude harassing a bunch of teens, the person who posted the video completely left out any details prior to the aggression and now you've got someone claiming to be witness of what led to it. It isn't confirmed yet and as noted in the article, there were a few quotes that the witness claimed that they heard and they are just awful, here they are:

“They were talking about for the Fourth of July hanging black people from trees that that would be the perfect party. Hopefully, with Donald Trump within the next few years, we can celebrate a white country, a real country without blacks. Maybe we can deport them to Africa,”

“They said they wanted it to be legal for white people to kill any other race for the Fourth of July,”

They're a lost cause while Trump remains in power and those among them who are White Supremacists probably don't deserve to have a voice in society.

Here's what the article looked like earlier today

I just read this article on HuffPost about Ivanka Trump's products being tariff exempt.

I am getting the feeling that they are either trying to discredit Trump by slapping tariffs on his voters but not him, or more sinisterly, Trump is bold enough to do backhand deals in plain sight and his party and voters will just pretend it did not happen.

I want to believe the former and that some of our enemies are just trying to get rid of Trump and nothing more, but with Cohen unraveling and the Intelligence Committee confirming election interference, I have a feeling that Trump is selling out our country for personal profit and some of the higher ups in the Republican party might be in on it.

It just looks so obviously bad that I am surprised we have reached point where surprises like these are not surprising anymore, and that certain politicians can actually get away with it now because their voters are... I am not sure how to describe them. I personally do not mind Trump slapping tariffs on our enemies, I am even willing to support that policy despite higher costs, but what I am puzzled by is that they let him slide on slapping tariffs on our allies and other countless crap that would be unacceptable if a Democratic president did them.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I have a feeling that Trump is selling out our country for personal profit and some of the higher ups in the Republican party might be in on it.

In other news, the sky is blue. (i.e. guess who's profiting off the "zero tolerance" detention facilities + family separation policy. The government doesn't have the facilities to do this shit. Private contractors are getting taxpayer money to run Trump's concentration camps; Trump cronies hooking up with the Department of Homeland Security and Health & Human Services are becoming millionaires off of this policy )

Oh--and in case you guys forgot about the whole Trump is putting kids in concentration camps thing--still happening, btw

• Administration today admitting that it is unable to meet a court-ordered deadline for reunifying kids taken away with their parents, because they never actually had any plans to give the kids back and--well--aren't exactly sure how to do it. (they need to order DNA tests now to try to match kids to parents, because they didn't even bother recording basic identifying information about who they were separating and where they were going before shipping the kids and parents off to separate prison camps)
  •   Some migrants have already been run through deportation proceedings and thrown out of the country without any legal process for being reunited with their children--still being separately detained--and no process exists to release those children from detention because they can only be released to a legal guardian. Those kids are just going to be deemed unaccompanied minors who entered the country without their parents, treated as "abandoned" children, and detained indefinitely until a Court more forcefully says you can't fucking do that. 
  •  A 14-month-old baby was returned to his mother unbathed and covered in lice, after 85 days of separation in a "Tender Age" detention center where the government is separately keeping babies and toddlers. Reporters and Lawmakers are not being allowed to enter the facility to observe and report living conditions.
  • 17 states are now suing Trump over inhumane conditions in the detention centers, with complaints adduced from persons released from custody. The complaint avers that children are being kept in unsanitary conditions without shoes or blankets, that children are being abused by guards with zero outside oversight, and that temperatures in the cells where children are being kept without shoes are blankets are purposefully being turned down to freezing in order to inflict further physical and psychological trauma.

But the really outrageous part is the incivility in politics; people are comparing Trump to Hitler and kicking administration officials out of heir businesses, and that's what we should all be upset about that

For real guys:

Image result for trump nazi

A view of inside US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) detention facility shows children at Rio Grande Valley Centralized Processing Center in Rio Grande City, Texas, on 7 June 2018

^^^
If the picture on top offends you more then the picture on bottom, We don't have different politics. We have different ethics. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

16 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

In other news, the sky is blue. (i.e. guess who's profiting off the "zero tolerance" detention facilities + family separation policy. The government doesn't have the facilities to do this shit. Private contractors are getting taxpayer money to run Trump's concentration camps; Trump cronies hooking up with the Department of Homeland Security and Health & Human Services are becoming millionaires off of this policy )

Yeah, but I did not expect it to be this blatant if he were doing it for profit. Having his own products exempt from tariffs is like huge red flag! They are not even attempting to cover it up! If Cohen and the Intellogence Committee is not enough evicdence, this HAS to be the evidence, right? This is like right in plain sight! His voters are probably going to let this slide either way. Should not their more racist members start sounding alarm bells or something though? Or maybe they are all only racist when convenient? It is so hard to understand them, it is like they see Trump as their Bible and just ignore all the contradictions.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, but I did not expect it to be this blatant if he were doing it for profit. Having his own products exempt from tariffs is like huge red flag! They are not even attempting to cover it up! 

Covering it up would imply that they feel there's some negative consequence to doing it out in the open.

They're at a place now where they feel like they can get away with pretty much anything and there's no accountability--that's the sad truth of it.

And they have yet to really be proven wrong.

Edited by Shoblongoo

13 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Covering it up would imply that they feel there's some negative consequence to doing it out in the open.

They're at a place now where they feel like they can get away with pretty much anything and there's no accountability--that's the sad truth of it.

And they have yet to really be proven wrong.

It is just a weird feeling to see fellow Americans complacent in letting America not be great and thinking it is great, and to make it more weird, realizing that they see us in the same way in that we are "ruining" the country for promoting free trade (at least with our allies) and social tolerance.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

It is just a weird feeling to see fellow Americans complacent in letting America not be great and thinking it is great, and to make it more weird, realizing that they see us in the same way in that we are "ruining" the country for promoting free trade (at least with our allies) and social tolerance.

Its going to be interesting to see how the history books cover this particular period of Americana.

Like everyone here has at some point cracked an anthology and read a historical account that made them shake their head and go how was that a thing??? People DEFENDED that??? How was it not the most obvious thing in the world what all this was building up to???

History is not going to be kind to us. 

25 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Its going to be interesting to see how the history books cover this particular period of Americana

Probably as the era were some very dangerous precedents were set and that it all went down from there. Usually clowns getting the highest office ended up devaluing said office, decreasing its power and opening the door for any random freak to have a go at it. That's how dynasties and powerful institutions often came to an end. 

And if one bafoonish B tier celebrity can successfully run for office that just convinces other to go have a try as well. There was this statement that Kanye West wanted to follow Trumps example. The bar has been lowered and that's probably going to be a lasting damage. 

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Probably as the era were some very dangerous precedents were set and that it all went down from there.

The bar has been lowered and that's probably going to be a lasting damage. 

I concur. 

The only real wild card is still the Mueller Investigation and the possibility of impeachment. 

1 minute ago, Shoblongoo said:

I concur. 

The only real wild card is still the Mueller Investigation and the possibility of impeachment. 

I don't think Mueller is going to change anything in the long run. He might get rid of Trump and while that's briefly going to be glorious it also wont last. The feeling that got Trump into office, the feeling that even obviously corrupt bafoons were preferable over the much maligned establishment would still be there, it would probably even grow stronger because those people saw their champion unfairly brought down by that dastardly establishment. This sentiment can then just be used by the next populist and we're back to squire one. 

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think Mueller is going to change anything in the long run. He might get rid of Trump and while that's briefly going to be glorious it also wont last. The feeling that got Trump into office, the feeling that even obviously corrupt bafoons were preferable over the much maligned establishment would still be there, it would probably even grow stronger because those people saw their champion unfairly brought down by that dastardly establishment. This sentiment can then just be used by the next populist and we're back to squire one. 

My optimism may be misplaced

...but I'm still cautiously optimistic that "the feeling that got Trump into office" was largely anyone but Hillary.  The country is not so debased that Trump himself or anything he stands for enjoys clear majority support.

2020 will tell the tale.

Edited by Shoblongoo

The corruption of the Republicans has gone too far and Trump's rhetoric has done too much damage. On a daily basis we're seeing non-whites being physically attacked and just more and more hateful fucks acting out because their president makes them think it's okay to be like this. The Mueller investigation NEEDS to succeed and I certainly hope Trump is found guilty of treason and executed. Congress needs to be revamped and they should impose the death penalty on politicians participating in corporate bribery to discourage repeats of Paul Ryan and his corrupt party.

Fuck Republicans, they don't deserve a voice in society. Death to Trump.

41 minutes ago, Navv said:

Thoughts about affirmative action repeal? Mixed feelings about this one. 

another bullshit move by a bullshit administration

2 hours ago, Navv said:

Thoughts about affirmative action repeal? Mixed feelings about this one. 

Pretty dumb move. It's a sticky tape solution to a very very complicated problem, so I'm not sure if it will do that much good or bad in the long run unless we actually fix the issue that lead to affirmative action's passing...  which AA definitely didn't do.

Also, there's definitely some antisemitism in that comment section.

Edited by Lord Raven

27 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

He also went and nominated Brett Kavanaugh for the supreme court. Reminder that not even Trump supporters like this guy.

It's just what a moron like Trump would do: jump at the chance to have a Supreme Court judge who supports the notion that he cannot be indicted or investigated while he's a sitting president.

Now we wait and see if the Republicans will commit further treachery and allow this motherfucker to take that seat or at least put the minimal effort it takes to block him...

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

5 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Fuck Republicans, they don't deserve a voice in society. Death to Trump.

While I do not like them in their current state either, not all Republicans are bad, so I do not want all of them to be silenced. There are still a few respectable politicians like McCain and Schwarzenegger in the party, although they are being marginalized right now.

There is also Cruz who seem like a saint recently, although that just further highlights the contrast between him and how much the party has departed from the center.

So, now that the government can't do their court-ordered thing, what sort of repercussions will there be?  Will it be scapegoated to some lower-level people?  Will Trump feel any sort of consequences?

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

So, now that the government can't do their court-ordered thing, what sort of repercussions will there be?  Will it be scapegoated to some lower-level people?  Will Trump feel any sort of consequences?

The lack of consequences continues to baffle me.

You're old enough to remember Bush, Obama, and Clinton--you remember the things that use to get blown up into "scandals" and the stand-out moments of public shaming that use to define the low points of presidencies.  (i.e. Hurricane Katrina. Monica Lewinsky. The Waco Siege.)

Like can you even imagine what the response would have been to George Bush had gone down to New Orleans immediately after Katrina and thrown toilet paper at refugees in the Super Dome? Put out official government numbers that only 70 people died in the storm and denied for months that the body count was in the thousands? Gone on vacation in the middle of the emergency response and dedicated a golf trophy to the storm victims?

How about calling on the Israelis to find incriminating information on Al Gore, contemporaneous with Israeli hackers targeting the Gore campaign and releasing all his private emails? Then spending the next two years denying that Israel interfered in the 2000 election + calling the story a hoax? 

Clinton skirting campaign finance laws to have his personal attorney wire hush-money to his mistresses, during the election of 1992?

Obama calling Hannity and Limbaugh enemies of the American people + saying that he would never rape Ann Coulter because she's too ugly?

• "zero tolerance" kidnapping and child abuse as an immigration policy
  • Storming out of a G7 summit after getting into a public fight with the hosting prime minister and throwing a starburst at the German Chancellor 
  • Praise for the "very fine people" among White Nationalists marching with torches + chanting Nazi slogans
  • The Russia Probe
  • Stormy Daniels
  • "Little Rocket Man"
  • Hurricane Maria 
  • Robert Porter 
  • #FakeNews
  • #MeToo

Of everything Trump has done during his presidency--and there have been many instances of him diminishing the office and the country with bad behavior that none of his predecessors, Democrat or Republican, would have ever lowered themselves to--there is something uniquely evil about what he's done here with these children. 

If there's anything that deserves politically lethal blow back, this is it. 

That being said--I'm looking at the aggregate polling on Trump's approval ratings right now. 

...he's at 42.1%; holding constant since May and up  [+1.5%]  from 41.6% in mid-April.

So no--no consequences. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

18 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

This sentiment can then just be used by the next populist and we're back to squire one. 

35 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

he's at 42.1%; holding constant since May and up  [+1.5%]  from 41.6% in mid-April.

That is pretty damn crazy. While 40% is not a majority by any means, that is still a ton of people who can still get the next populist into the presidency if they can keep gerrymandering and voter suppression in their favor. 40% is like pretty much the majority of the Republican Party, like around 80% to 90% of them.

So much for checks and balances, then.  If the courts order something, it doesn't get done, and there's no consequences, then something is seriously wrong.