General US Politics

Ansem

55 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's rather amusing. There was a petition to prevent this very visit that got over 1.8 Million signatures alongside many folks at the top objecting to it too. Theresa May herself rejected the notion and now she's getting burned for it.

How stupid are the people in power that they insist on choosing that this man's public appearance isn't a reflection of who he is (as well as how much worse he may be) and that he's actually smarter than he lets on? It's as if Trump is telling the world on a daily basis "Hahah I'm just pretending to be dumb" and people in power actually buy it.

Anyone tune into Strzok's hearing? I intermittently tuned in to see an even bigger circus show going on than the Rosenstein one and I'm fairly certain the Republicans will continue to latch on to this "investigate the investigators" via the reveal that Mueller didn't care to ask Strzok or anyone about bias. I would love to see Mueller come in and school them on the matter even though the Democrats already did.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dems hardly needed to lift a finger or say even a single word. Strzok was in top form. He made Trey Gowdy look more of a fool than he can say so himself.

Good article out of Drexel University on what I was talking about earlier in this thread--someone just posted this on my facebook feed:  https://www.thetriangle.org/opinion/it-has-happened-here-fascism-in-the-united-states/

"What defines a fascist? Firstly, a fascist denies the rule of law. This means that he knows no will but his own, and recognizes no limit on his power. To achieve such power, he must defy, circumvent, or simply ignore all other established authority, and destroy the institutions through which it is exercised." 

"Aggressive nationalism, menacing militarism and a complete contempt for international rules, norms and agreements are also characteristic of fascism. Racism is a concomitant of this. America, for all its flaws, is the most successful example of a multiethnic society since the Roman Empire. Donald Trump has remolded it, at least for his base, as a beleaguered master race, threatened by invaders who would usurp its wealth, destroy its character and contaminate its gene pool. The site of this plot against true Americans is within the state itself, a so-called “deep state” that works tirelessly to undermine the nation and its values. Ultimately, the only way to drive the plotters from their dark corners is to dismantle the state itself, leaving only the Leader, Trump himself, in command."

Edited by Shoblongoo

Some folks need an article like that to convince them that their country is headed in the wrong way for all the causes its forebears had fought for. For people like us, we'd need only watch Triumph of the Will or read J'Accuse and draw parallels.

Edited by Karimlan

He also said something in the interview with the Sun which he is now claiming is fake news even though the Sun released the audio tape of him saying it lol.

So as Trump is in the UK (look up london images for protest crowds if you want), this has now recently dropped.

Full indictment:

https://www.justice.gov/file/1080281/download

Edited by Edgelord

50 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

conspiracy, aggravated, identity theft, and money laundering.

...it always comes back to money laundering...

Seems like public release of this indictment was purposefully timed to come right ahead of Trump's first scheduled meeting as president with Vladamir Putin, on the next leg of his Euro-Trip.

Makes me wonder if there's a plan in place to save whatever indictments they're planning to bring against American coconspirators and Trumpers for right before the November midterms. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Donald Trump has remolded it, at least for his base, as a beleaguered master race,

"Those barbarians...

threatened by invaders who would usurp its wealth,

bring disease, rob our land...

destroy its character and contaminate its gene pool.

enslave children, perform questionable reproductive practices... and some I assume are good people."

true Americans (i.e. Native Americans)

- - - - - - -

Parody aside, I cannot stand that level of hubris. If Trump and his supporters really want to appeal to those arguments, they should probably look at themselves in the mirror first and see how others perceive them. They do not really see the irony in that line of thought and how that can be applied to basically almost any group of people, especially when you read history.

Sometimes it is just frustrating to have those kinds of people completely ignore historical events like Scramble for Africa or colonization of the Americas. If those events happened today, that level of euphemism would not even be used, and those events would be more aptly named along the lines of Rape of Africa or Massacre of the Americas.

8 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It was an interview with the Sun were Trump said this rather than a tweet. 

Read about that this morning too. I am not surprised of the shit that comes out of his mouth, but I am a bit impressed/surprised that May just turned the other cheek and did not cancel the meeting. I know the Queen is not supposed to delve into politics too much, but I would like to see her stand up for her subjects more against ridicule from foreign leaders.

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

conspiracy, aggravated, identity theft, and money laundering.

...it always comes back to money laundering...

"Follow the money". I'm telling you, Trump is involved in money laundering with Russia, Putin is aware of it and this is probably what Trump wants to hide the most.

Seems like public release of this indictment was purposefully timed to come right ahead of Trump's first scheduled meeting as president with Vladamir Putin, on the next leg of his Euro-Trip.

Seems so and it is great that it happened today as if happened anytime after that meeting Trump would just bullshit that he asked and still believes Putin but will inquire again.

On the other side the timing is fantastic too because of what happened yesterday. If the Republicans want to continue this charade via Matt Gaetz' hook, they'll only look even more stupid and traitorous. I welcome it and hope it is public to see trampled by Mueller who is a Republican himself. It is setup so perfectly.

Makes me wonder if there's a plan in place to save whatever indictments they're planning to bring against American coconspirators and Trumpers for right before the November midterms. 

It'd be hilarious if it could be handled it like this: It is late August/September and they have enough indictments ready to make one public each Friday leading up to the mid-term elections. Release one each Friday.

5 hours ago, Edgelord said:

He also said something in the interview with the Sun which he is now claiming is fake news even though the Sun released the audio tape of him saying it lol.

Trump is sometimes his own worst enemy and it's a good thing... like when there was debate going on about attorney-client privilege around the Cohen raid and he went on Fox and Friends to rant and say "he does a tiny fraction of my legal work" to distance himself from Cohen.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

To be honest, it's not even just Russia for money laundering or corruption in general. Look at Trump doing deals with places like Israel, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar for real estate construction or personal benefit before he struck business deals with them, as well. Look at how Flynn was corrupt on behalf of Turkey and probably others that I've missed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sells-qatar-12-billion-arms-days-after-accusing-it-of-funding-terrorism/

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/saudi-arabia-uae-ivanka-trump-fund_us_5921c1d9e4b034684b0d17a1

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/21/jared-kushner-saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman/

These things might be outside of the Mueller investigation, but Trump is very corrupt even without Mueller's investigation.

Edited by Edgelord

7 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

To be honest, it's not even just Russia for money laundering or corruption in general. Look at Trump doing deals with places like Israel, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar for real estate construction or personal benefit before he struck business deals with them, as well. Look at how Flynn was corrupt on behalf of Turkey and probably others that I've missed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sells-qatar-12-billion-arms-days-after-accusing-it-of-funding-terrorism/

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/saudi-arabia-uae-ivanka-trump-fund_us_5921c1d9e4b034684b0d17a1

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/21/jared-kushner-saudi-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman/

These things might be outside of the Mueller investigation, but Trump is very corrupt even without Mueller's investigation.

Digging into Trump's small history as president will always tell you that's a given and impeachment proceedings should've been happening prior to the mid-term elections but the current state of the government just doesn't allow for discussion into such matters because of the aforementioned "party over country" stance that Republicans are taking in hopes of keeping their power. They will continue to turn a blind eye to Trump's corruption as a sitting president because they're guilty of that themselves, congress is extremely unpopular (specially Republicans) and the fact that they ended up choosing Trump as their runner dug them in a trench where they have no choice but to appeal to Trump supporters to stay in power.

Amusingly, the fact they control the 3 branches has been a bit of a double-edged sword for them during Trump's time. Primarily because of the government shutdown that happened earlier this year demonstrating their incompetence brought about by the obsession with the tax-cuts and the hearings attempting to discredit the investigation damaging them even more.

We know what has to happen to move forward: flip the house so that we can get rid of Trump, phase out the Republicans and eventually hold the Democrats in a position where they have to ditch the corruption and actually do their fucking job for the people or fall like Jim Crowley.

As a filthy Anglo-American half-breed, I have to say that the reception Trump has received in my birth country has warmed my crusty heart. I've actually felt a shred of patriotism for the UK, something that, since Brexit, has been a very rare feeling indeed.

Trump-Putin "agenda"

“We have a lot of good things to talk about,” said Trump. “We have discussions on everything from trade to military to missiles to nuclear to China — China, we’ll be talking about China, our mutual friend, President Xi.”

As expected, no mention of recent indictments and I think Trump's at least going to lift the sanctions on Russia. There's also someone predicting the same + surrendering Syria to Putin. I wonder if Trump was informed of the indictments at the time he said he wanted the meeting with Putin to be private with no media involved.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

#TreasonSummit trending, with over 326,000 tweets atm.

Please do not retweet #TreasonSummit. As it may embarrass Dear Leader while he is at the #TreasonSummit, committing treason. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing

Edited by Shoblongoo

So this is hopefully related enough to politics but Sacha Baron Cohen has a new series where he's interviewing US politicians about gun rights (among other things)

Apparently got Roy Moore in an interview too, and you might have heard Sarah Palin or others complain about being fooled already, but some of this is just... yeah.

Edited by Edgelord

So how about that SCOTUS nominee, huh?

As a gay man, I can't wait to live the next 20-45 years living in fear that my marriage rights be taken away (by determining my right to marry shouldn't be nationally observed, like anti-segregation laws or equal voting rights, but rather determined by individual states, of which some wouldn't hesitate to refuse to recognize gay marriage) because 3rd party/non-voters thought "the lesser of two evils is still evil".

Edited by Kysafen

I jest--but in all seriousness. 

Although political circumstances being what they are the argument goes nowhere, I'm pretty sure there's an argument to be made that--this--literally meets our legal definition of treason.  

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/397203-trump-denies-russian-involvement-in-election-at-joint-presser-with

"In an extraordinary scene broadcast live to a worldwide audience, Trump refused when asked to condemn Russia’s meddling in the election and complained instead that the allegations have created doubts about the legitimacy of his win over Democrat Hillary Clinton."

“He just said it’s not Russia,” repeating Putin’s denials of involvement in the U.S. election. “I will say this, I don’t see any reason why it would be.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/16/trump-russia-putin-summit-722418\

"President Donald Trump on Monday publicly sided with Russian President Vladimir Putin over his own intelligence agencies, refusing to condemn the Kremlin for interference in the 2016 election and saying that “I don’t see any reason” to believe that Russia was behind the hacking of Democratic computer servers.

Trump’s remarkable statement, during a joint news conference in Helsinki, Finland, after holding a two-hour one-on-one meeting with Putin, came after special counsel Robert Mueller indicted 12 Russians on Friday over allegations of involvement in the state-ordered election-interference operation."

Trump repeatedly attacked the FBI, praised Putin as a “good competitor,” refused to say Russia was accountable for any aspects of fraying U.S.-Russia relations, and attacked Mueller’s inquiry as “a disaster for our country."

“Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of ‘high crimes & misdemeanors,’” former CIA director John Brennan wrote on Twitter. “It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???”

Edited by Shoblongoo

11 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

Apparently got Roy Moore in an interview too, and you might have heard Sarah Palin or others complain about being fooled already, but some of this is just... yeah.

Cohen's response to Palin is gold. I couldn't stop laughing.

14 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Although political circumstances being what they are the argument goes nowhere, I'm pretty sure there's an argument to be made that--this--literally meets our legal definition of treason.  

Probably in that election interference, especially at the scale it happened and is beginning to happen again, is straight up an act of war

Trump talks about removing sanctions with Maria Butina in 2015

Who is Maria Butina?

In plain sight... the perfect patsy.

EDIT: Affidavit on Butina

Fox New's written post on their interview with Putin

Putin argued Russia wouldn’t have the resources to track Trump had it wanted to do so. To make a point, Putin said the annual St. Petersburg Economic Forum usually draws 500 business leaders and most of them are industrial tycoons on a “greater scale” than Trump as a businessman.

Butina and Manafort.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Putin argued Russia wouldn’t have the resources to track Trump had it wanted to do so. To make a point, Putin said the annual St. Petersburg Economic Forum usually draws 500 business leaders and most of them are industrial tycoons on a “greater scale” than Trump as a businessman.

I guess Trump does not mind it when Putin calls him small. 

Well Trump pretty much confirmed he is Putin's (5 letter word starts with b).  I know Fox has even criticized him as well as many Republicans, but talk is cheap.  Throw this clown out of office.  

And Sean Hannity is Trump's bitch

Unsurprisingly, Trump still has support. His supporters' talking points have now shifted to "Why are people bashing Trump when he wants peace? If he didn't do what he did, we'd be at war now" and of course "Where is the server?". They'll always find some way to spin it.

On the matter of sanctions

He then said that the “kicker” was that they spoke about sanctions without talking about sanctions.

“So, when asked whether Putin asked for sanctions relief, Putin, of course, as a matter of Russian pride and also, I think, a negotiating tactic, knowing Trump could hand over sanctions relief, he simply says, ‘No but we talked about the interests of our two business communities in increasing economic ties and how we might do that in the current environment.’ So, that’s code for, ‘Yeah, they talked about how to get around sanctions.’ They actually had it as surprisingly substantive conversation. We heard none of it in the press conference,” Rojansky closed.

Trump said that no other person could be in the meeting other than translators, so neither American leaders, administration officials or intelligence officers will have information on what was said. Trump has yet to discuss the two-hour meeting, other than to say that it was good.

Can't understand a word of that interview so I have to wonder if what's captured here is true but seeing as how it is Trump and it was done with nobody else but translators, I wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT: The White House's spin on #TreasonSummit holy crap lol

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque