General US Politics

Ansem

1 minute ago, Excellen Browning said:

Trump gonna get impeached. There will be witnesses, he won't get convicted. Which is a shame, but with the republicans being what they are, what can you do.

I expect his response to the whole affair will be to brag about how he "won impeachment" at his next rally. 

Not looking forward to another four years of trump rallies, by the way. They're happening regardless of the outcome of the 2020 election. He had been campaigning for four years already and I expect he'll continue until he drops dead. Or runs out of money, but as far as I know those rallies have been going unpaid for years. Maybe his lawyers are searching to find some way to justify federal funds as payment.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Trump gonna get impeached. There will be witnesses, he won't get convicted. Which is a shame, but with the republicans being what they are, what can you do.

I love how whenever some Republic traitor says some lie about why voting against impeachment, Schiff calls them out on their BS before moving on.  Hopefully most of the American people are smart enough to see though Conservatives flimsy defenses and misdirections.  Then the Senate trial if Mitch and GOP just do a quick acquittal and no witnesses or don't honor the trial they get voted out and we get Dem majority in Senate too.  

21 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Impeachment will likely just help Trump if anything. I don't understand why the Democrats press so hard on this.

In a sane world, the purpose of impeachment despite knowing that it will fail in the Senate is to put the spotlight on whether or not people on Trump's side will do the right thing and be principled, those who do not be damned and have their political careers ended. It helps Trump with his deranged base but it also helps the voices of reason that have been saying that Republican party's breaking our politics. They're right and there's many of these GOPers that need their political careers ended, specially Mitch McConnell.

In Trump world, it's difficult to believe you'll move some Trump voters but there are some who backed Obama in the past but voted for Trump because they hate the career politicians. You CAN move some of those if you do things right. Trump's unflinching base will be riled up but that doesn't mean jack shit because they always are with any slight insult to DEAR LEADER. A Fox News poll showed 50% of their audience believes Trump should be Impeached, the push has to continue, not cease.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

15 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Impeachment will likely just help Trump if anything. I don't understand why the Democrats press so hard on this.

Well as Bart Simpson said "You're damned if you do you're damned if you don't."  Democrats were forced to impeach cause Trump is getting a foreign power to investigate a political rival, thus interfering in elections.  So they can't let Trump rig the election, get foreign nations to interfere.   Inaction would mean Trump would get Ukraine to investigate the Bidens, and he would likely do other things to interfere with the presidential election and insure he gets in.  ?ove dishonest, let the people vote Republican excuse.  Well Trump and supported by GOP would never allow that.

Then why not wait til getting Pompeo, Bolton, etc.  More evidence, first hand testimony, etc?  Well Trump has blocked these dudes from testifying, sure could go to courts to force them but by the time they were made to testify the elections would long be over.

Regardless of what happens he will forever be known as someone who was impeached, be shamed, and even if acquitted he will be less likely to try to pull this shit again before the election.  Now since many people are stupid they may believe Jim Jordan and other Republiloons flimsy excuses and misdirections and maybe it does help Trump overall.  However at least the election is more likely to be fair.  

6 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Big night for Trump. He finally achieved something Obama didn’t 😂

Lol, he is going crazy at his rally in response it is hilarious.

Also fuck yeah Nancy, I had heard this mentioned at as a possibility but didn't know if it could be done.  She says they will hold the articles of impeachment and not send them over til she hears the Senate rules of the trial and is assured it will be fair.  If it has to be dragged to next year so be it, in the meantime the orange turd can't say "I've been exonerated!" He'll just be fuming and making himself look even work as he derails.  

6 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

In Trump world, it's difficult to believe you'll move some Trump voters but there are some who backed Obama in the past but voted for Trump because they hate the career politicians. You CAN move some of those if you do things right. Trump's unflinching base will be riled up but that doesn't mean jack shit because they always are with any slight insult to DEAR LEADER. A Fox News poll showed 50% of their audience believes Trump should be Impeached, the push has to continue, not cease.

It's 50% of voters in general, not their audience specifically. I'd imagine the support for impeachment and removal is significantly less among their audience, but maybe some of that will peel off as more facts come to light. 

1 hour ago, LegendOfLoog said:

maybe some of that will peel off as more facts come to light. 

Yeah, but this is Fox News.

"Facts" is just a five letter word to that audience.

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, but this is Fox News.

"Facts" is just a five letter word to that audience.

"Facts" only matter when it aligns with their opinions.  Otherwise, they're extraneous.

. . .what do you mean, still traumatized after having to watch Fox News a year ago?

I'm willing to wager that a screenshot of the tweet Trump the Younger made re the Clintons getting impeached back then came up on your end as well. XD

5 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

My social media feed has been blowing up with all things impeachment.

This is the best metaphor I've found to illustrate the absurdity of what we can expect with the upcoming 'Trial' in The Senate:

Yeah I saw that on Facebook from a friend that's currently in Spain. It's spot on.

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

I'm willing to wager that a screenshot of the tweet Trump the Younger made re the Clintons getting impeached back then came up on your end as well. XD

"There truly is a tweet for everything" in the context of anything Trump. I'm hoping Lindsey Graham's classic tweet can be brought up again as a result of the GOP losing more house and a good chunk of the Senate so that even having the likes of Joe Manchin around isn't a problem.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

"There truly is a tweet for everything" in the context of anything Trump. I'm hoping Lindsey Graham's classic tweet can be brought up again as a result of the GOP losing more house and a good chunk of the Senate so that even having the likes of Joe Manchin around isn't a problem.

I do not think Republicans are that politically weak to lose a significant chunk of the Senate, or even House, to the point where they have little influence on the government anytime soon. Almost half the American voters are still Republican, and until we have a large enough demographic advantage and increase voter participation to overwhelm the gerrymandering process, I do not think Republicans are going away anytime soon.

I can see them going down after maybe 20 years, or earlier if we can get voter turnout up, but Democrats simply do not have the demographics nor voting discipline to completely oust Republicans right now.

Out of my group of 10 friends, only 4 of us consistently votes. It is worse than the national average of 51% too. Even with the national average being better, those are still some pretty shit turnout percentages.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

I do not think Republicans are that politically weak to lose a significant chunk of the Senate, or even House, to the point where they have little influence on the government anytime soon. Almost half the American voters are still Republican, and until we have a large enough demographic advantage and increase voter participation to overwhelm the gerrymandering process, I do not think Republicans are going away anytime soon.

I can see them going down after maybe 20 years, or earlier if we can get voter turnout up, but Democrats simply do not have the demographics nor voting discipline to completely oust Republicans right now.

Out of my group of 10 friends, only 4 of us consistently votes. It is worse than the national average of 51% too. Even with the national average being better, those are still some pretty shit turnout percentages.

I know, that's why I said I'm hoping, I certainly don't expect it to happen as there's still the many roadblocks from the GOP to suppress voter turnout as well as right-wing media's continued spin on reality keeping Republicans that could change their vote if they saw the truth tethered to the orange turd.

Regardless, it's clear that Senate control needs to be won by the Democrats. It's possible in 2020.

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I know, that's why I said I'm hoping, I certainly don't expect it to happen as there's still the many roadblocks from the GOP to suppress voter turnout as well as right-wing media's continued spin on reality keeping Republicans that could change their vote if they saw the truth tethered to the orange turd.

Regardless, it's clear that Senate control needs to be won by the Democrats. It's possible in 2020.

It is one thing to have voter suppression in red states, but I am in California with a pretty easy and convenient voting process, and most of my friends still do not always vote.

We Millennials have a serious turn out problem. Voting turn out will get better as we get older, but if I and some of my friends can make time to vote, my other friends have no excuse not to.

There is only so much we can blame on Republicans. You cannot get people who are apathetic to care about politics or the economy until shit lands on their face. Just because they agree with you and share your views does not mean they are going to vote with you.

I am just frustrated that a lot of us do not vote, especially for those of us in Democratic blue states where there is little to no voter suppression.

Like the only reason two of my other friends are contemplating voting is because of Andrew Yang's universal basic income thing.

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

I wouldn't necessarily call it the milennial vote, because it's roughly people between 18 and 45 years old who have both a much lower turnout and a much higher chance of voting democrat, or at least anti republican.

In other words, Millennials. We are generally considered to be born between 1981 and 1996, and we are between 22 to 39 years old right now.

12 hours ago, XRay said:

It is one thing to have voter suppression in red states, but I am in California with a pretty easy and convenient voting process, and most of my friends still do not always vote.

We Millennials have a serious turn out problem. Voting turn out will get better as we get older, but if I and some of my friends can make time to vote, my other friends have no excuse not to.

There is only so much we can blame on Republicans. You cannot get people who are apathetic to care about politics or the economy until shit lands on their face. Just because they agree with you and share your views does not mean they are going to vote with you.

I am just frustrated that a lot of us do not vote, especially for those of us in Democratic blue states where there is little to no voter suppression.

Like the only reason two of my other friends are contemplating voting is because of Andrew Yang's universal basic income thing.

Local elections -> primary -> general.  But local politics tends to be more boring than national.

The only reason why I don't like primary elections is that I'd have to affiliate myself with a party.  Then again, there's certain Democratic candidates that I don't want to see.  Decisions. . .

12 hours ago, XRay said:

Well I think voter turnout among Democrats will be really high for the presidential election.  It isn't oh we want this Democrat to be president, or don't like Republicans, it is Trump is such a sack of shit that is so immensely hated.  It seems like the election of the century, of our lifetimes, something vital to saving the country from ruin. 

Voter suppression strategy Trump

This is a pretty big story recently, business insider and NBC news as well as other big sites have it, linked Esquire cause you can keep adblocker if you want.  Anyways the scum that does this should all be put behind bars.  Just another reason the Republican party needs to die.  

19 hours ago, eclipse said:

Local elections -> primary -> general.  But local politics tends to be more boring than national.

The only reason why I don't like primary elections is that I'd have to affiliate myself with a party.  Then again, there's certain Democratic candidates that I don't want to see.  Decisions. . .

Only a special kind of stupidity would vote against the democrats in the next presidential election, so you might as well get involved in getting someone you like the candidacy.

19 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Well I think voter turnout among Democrats will be really high for the presidential election.  It isn't oh we want this Democrat to be president, or don't like Republicans, it is Trump is such a sack of shit that is so immensely hated.  It seems like the election of the century, of our lifetimes, something vital to saving the country from ruin. 

But everyone already knew that during the last election. Doesn't matter how bad Clinton was. Everyone already knew Trump was an openly corrupt, inept buffoon who hated America's allies but loved dictatorships. Everyone knew but still people stayed home or even voted for Trump. ''The election of the century, of your lifetimes, something vital to saving the country from ruin'' has already happened and the result wasn't particularly flattering for the American electorate. 

If people didn't already recognize Trump was a freak in 2016 then nothing he says or do will change that. The information was out there ages ago and everyone picked their side already. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

21 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Being hated or disliked is not enough to drive people to vote. Hopefully, Millennial turnout can reach 60%, but that is being really generous. If you want people to vote, you need to expose them to danger or have some kind of immediate effect they can feel.

The only reason some of my non consistent voter friends are thinking about voting is because they have a direct and visible financial gain from voting for Andrew Yang. Trade wars, discrimination, deregulation, infrastructure investment, etc. honestly does not impact their life much, at least not very noticeably, so they just do not care about those issues enough to vote on it until they have been directly impacted.

Edited by XRay

22 hours ago, Lewyn said:

This is a pretty big story recently, business insider and NBC news as well as other big sites have it, linked Esquire cause you can keep adblocker if you want.

Hell yes, thanks for the link!

4 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Only a special kind of stupidity would vote against the democrats in the next presidential election, so you might as well get involved in getting someone you like the candidacy.

My state has a thing against white supremacy.  As in, someone who had hints of supporting it was immediately thrown out of the candidacy (local level).  Yet 28% of my state voted Trump in the last election.  Yes, that kind of stupid exists.  It's universal.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

If people didn't already recognize Trump was a freak in 2016 then nothing he says or do will change that. The information was out there ages ago and everyone picked their side already. 

Those that are emotionally invested in Trump aren't going to change - speaking out against Trump is like personally insulting them (I know someone like this, and the cherry on top is that this person is from California).  The issue is that I have no idea how many people are in that boat.  I know some sects of Christianity are like this, and it's irritating.