General US Politics

Ansem

12 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

The right contains racists/misogynists, businessmen/women, religious.  So the greed and scum of society, and people who believe in fiction stories over scientific fact.

I've got to tell you that the majority of people that pass for "left" in the US are religious (because the majority of the people in the US are religious). Sure, if you're non-religious, then you're more likely to be on the left, and those that aren't are far less likely to be fundamentalists, but if that's a sticking point then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

Not particularly religious, but that's always fairly overstated.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I've got to tell you that the majority of people that pass for "left" in the US are religious (because the majority of the people in the US are religious). Sure, if you're non-religious, then you're more likely to be on the left, and those that aren't are far less likely to be fundamentalists, but if that's a sticking point then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

Yes sorry.  I guess I mean creationists, religious zealots.  The people who believe in religion over science.  The evangicals that worship Trump, etc.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:08 PM, Rezzy said:

A small minority of transgender people give the rest a bad name by either competing in sports where they have an advantage over biological women or suing salons for refusing to wax their genitals, so people think all trans people are like that.  There is also the controversy with bathrooms and giving kids puberty blockers or hormones.  Plus many people will only ever know one person who is trans, and if they're a crazy wacko, that's the impression they get.

In other words, some transgender people are being asses.  The only thing I'm uncomfortable with is giving kids anything that messes with their hormones.  I think it's a little too dangerous to tinker with the human body during that time.  Let the body's natural hormones settle before trying to introduce drastic change.

21 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

That's such a gross mindset. I don't see how members of a community that banks on a bunch or different identities banding together can't muster up basic compassion or empathy.

There's been divisions within the LGBT community for a long time, and the crap the "T" part is getting more attention (finally).  It's why I refuse to call myself an ally.

7 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Alright left vs right.  

The left contains the scientists, the artists, the educated, humanitarians, environmentalists.  Essentially the heart and brains of humanity.

The right contains racists/misogynists, businessmen/women, religious.  So the greed and scum of society, and people who believe in fiction stories over scientific fact.

That this is even a battle at all is just sad.

I'm assuming you see yourself as someone on the left.  I hate to break it to you, but you're using tactics that I'd expect from someone on the far-right.

Division, control, and being overly judgmental are qualities that transcend left/right.  Don't become a right-winger with a different set of policies.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm assuming you see yourself as someone on the left.  I hate to break it to you, but you're using tactics that I'd expect from someone on the far-right.

Division, control, and being overly judgmental are qualities that transcend left/right.  Don't become a right-winger with a different set of policies.

Yes this type of tactic is what the right excels at, but we've seen how effective it is.  The people on the left try to be the bigger man/woman and argue with intellectual arguments, detail, without personal insults and where has it got them?  Look at the impeachment inquiry and compare Schiff to Jim Jordan.  How much has good reasoned well thought out arguments and facts vs lunatic yelling about nonsense shifted public opinion?

If the Democrats had a Trump as president, he would have been kicked out within a few months of office.  Republicans would tear him down repeatedly.  Just look at what they did with Obama.  If mudslinging and namecalling is so effective and can win seats and the election use it.  I think the end justifies the means in this case.  Trump being re elected is the end of America.

Edited by Lewyn

Just now, Lewyn said:

Yes this type of tactic is what the right excels at, but we've seen how effective it is.  The people on the left try to be the bigger man/woman and argue with intellectual arguments, detail, without personal insults and where has it got them?  Look at the impeachment inquiry and compare Schiff to Jim Jordan.  How much has good reasoned well thought out arguments and facts vs lunatic yelling about nonsense shifted public opinion?

If the Democrats had a Trump as president, he would have been kicked out within a few months of office.  Republicans would tear him down repeatedly.  Just look at what they did with Obama.  If mudslinging and namecalling is so effective and can win seats and the election use it.  I think the end justifies the means in this case.  Trump being re elected is the end of America.

There's two huge issues with this:

1. You're talking down to their level, which is a victory for them (because you're now acting like their enemy).  It also means that those that aren't particularly attached to one side will view your side with distaste. . .and there are a lot of us.

2. You're on SF, and we have rules, several of which involve respecting others.

In other words, you're shooting yourself in the foot.  But if you insist on pulling this nonsense, don't do it here.  Like it or not, there's rules to be followed.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

There's two huge issues with this:

1. You're talking down to their level, which is a victory for them (because you're now acting like their enemy).  It also means that those that aren't particularly attached to one side will view your side with distaste. . .and there are a lot of us.

2. You're on SF, and we have rules, several of which involve respecting others.

In other words, you're shooting yourself in the foot.  But if you insist on pulling this nonsense, don't do it here.  Like it or not, there's rules to be followed.

Well this is more on how the actual democrats in politics should talk.  Politeness doesn't work with the masses apparently.  Hillary's well reasoned plans lost to Trump's 'Lock her up!" along with racist rhetoric. 

Namecalling, fearmongering, and doing it repeatedly over and over making fictions facts.  If the masses are stupid enough to be swayed by this the democrats should use the same tactics against their opponents, while at the same time displaying their well thought out plans.  

There are good people on both sides, but what we see from the leadership of each party is completely different.

1 minute ago, Lewyn said:

Well this is more on how the actual democrats in politics should talk.  Politeness doesn't work with the masses apparently.  Hillary's well reasoned plans lost to Trump's 'Lock her up!" along with racist rhetoric.

Hillary didn't lose because she was being reasonable.  The situation is pretty complex, but here's some points I've gathered:

- Trump had Russia's disinformation campaign on his side
- Hillary didn't campaign as hard in certain states
- Hillary's a woman.  Say what you will, but America had just gotten through a non-white president, and there's a racist/sexist voting block.  If a white male had been on the Democrat side, I think they might've had a chance.
- Republicans were tired of NOT having their way for four years (see: government shutdowns), so they'd be voting whoever had R in their name
- Disagreement over her policies, for whatever reason

You're free to read up on other opinions on why Hillary lost, but I strongly suggest using a search engine that isn't Google for this.  Preferably in an incognito tab.

7 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Namecalling, fearmongering, and doing it repeatedly over and over making fictions facts.  If the masses are stupid enough to be swayed by this the democrats should use the same tactics against their opponents, while at the same time displaying their well thought out plans.  

There are good people on both sides, but what we see from the leadership of each party is completely different.

. . .what.  No.

Your opponent has no reason to believe you.  These tactics will only cause those who have an emotional connection to their side to dig their heels in deeper.  Like, take some time to self-reflect. . .or if you want, I can give you a whole religious fire and brimstone speech (which will garner the exact same type of emotional response from you).

If you really want to fight, you first have to understand WHY people follow the Republican base.  Then, figure out which ones can be reasoned with.  Those who use emotion over logic aren't going to listen to you, especially if you use this kind of tactic.  It would be nice if every single person agreed to generally make life better for other people, regardless of things like race or gender.  Realistically, the best that will happen is a small shift, enough for Trump NOT to be re-elected.

Not t

34 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

How about "if the masses are stupid enough to be swayed by this, we should bring civics back to the public schools as core-curriculum and try to create a more educated voter base in the alternative to cynically pandering to the lowest common denominator" 

5 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

On to more pressing matters, how low will the senate republicans go? Will they back a president starting foreverwar 3 when they can also impeach him? I'm not holding out hope.

they were never going to do it before and they are never going to do it now. the best thing that nancy pelosi and the rest of the democrats can do is sit on sending the articles of impeachment to the senate indefinitely so they can repeat that Trump is impeached and not let him have his victory lap when the republican senate inevitably acquits him.

Edited by Tryhard

11 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

On to more pressing matters, how low will the senate republicans go? Will they back a president starting foreverwar 3 when they can also impeach him? I'm not holding out hope.

Probably back him. They're ready to move on with the rigged senate trial to acquit him, Lindsey Graham's been pushing for more aggression towards Iran, specifically their Oil. As always, it'll come down to what their rich donors want. If they decide that attacking Iran's oil benefits more than damage, the war is likely to come. Until then, they'll continue to spin Trump's idiotic moves that inch us closer to war as him defending the country and whatnot.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Hillary didn't lose because she was being reasonable.  The situation is pretty complex, but here's some points I've gathered:

- Hillary's a woman.  Say what you will, but America had just gotten through a non-white president, and there's a racist/sexist voting block.  If a white male had been on the Democrat side, I think they might've had a chance.
- Republicans were tired of NOT having their way for four years (see: government shutdowns), so they'd be voting whoever had R in their name

You're free to read up on other opinions on why Hillary lost, but I strongly suggest using a search engine that isn't Google for this.  Preferably in an incognito tab.

. . .what.  No.

Your opponent has no reason to believe you.  These tactics will only cause those who have an emotional connection to their side to dig their heels in deeper.  Like, take some time to self-reflect. . .or if you want, I can give you a whole religious fire and brimstone speech (which will garner the exact same type of emotional response from you).

If you really want to fight, you first have to understand WHY people follow the Republican base.  Then, figure out which ones can be reasoned with.  Those who use emotion over logic aren't going to listen to you, especially if you use this kind of tactic.  It would be nice if every single person agreed to generally make life better for other people, regardless of things like race or gender.  Realistically, the best that will happen is a small shift, enough for Trump NOT to be re-elected.

Yes many factors why she lost, she also has no charisma.  Just the alternative, was a sack of shit and people voted for the sack of shit.  Guess I can't get over that.  I get the party loyalty, but how far does that go?  Something seriously messed up and that can be seen with how many Republicans and most GOP fully back Trump regardless of what he does.  I'm sure they know he is a scumbag and a criminal but they don't care.

As for who can be reasoned with, one would figure independents/moderates would move dramatically away from Trump but they haven't.  So Republicans fear witchunt whathaveyou campaign seems to have been effective with the neutrals too.  Also even if there is a small shift, if Trump rigs the election which he definitely will do and no one will stop him, it isn't going to matter.

47 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

He could come out as a child molester and serial killer, and they will probably say "BUT OBAMA" or something and keep him in power.  They will back Trump forever.  

I'd like to take a break from keeping up with him and his craziness, everytime he talks I want to smack him in the face.  However he is gutting the ACA (going through the courts now, but he wants them to delay decision til after election so it doesn't hurt his chances), cutting food stamps/social services/education, roll back emissions, clean water act, pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal which is a huge reason why this conflict has happened in the first place (but hey can't have a black monkey like Obama have anything left, got to erase him like he never existed), pulled out of the climate agreement, stole billiions of dollars by declaring national emergency to fund his dumbass wall, and now is setting us for a war against Iran.  Sure a bunch of other stuff I missed.  I remember when he got elected.  People said don't worry, he is just one guy there are a lot of checks and balances.  Well when his party controls the Senate and they are his slaves, and he controls the courts through record appointment of judges, Supreme Court majority....no there aren't many checks and balances.  

Whew Trump is not good for stress levels.  Just hard to wrap one's mind around that one of the worst humans in the world's history is president and no one can do anything about it.

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I kind of disagree with this meme in modern culture, while it would be a great bonus for winning a war against Iran (even then the USA actually almost lost a simulation to Iran until they banned suicide ship-bombing tactics) if it were for oil, the US would have invaded long ago.

It's generally more so for control of the world which the US can't get it's ass out of, why can't we just send the troops in the middle of nowhere back to the US and let the Europeans and everyone else to fend for themselves and start paying for their own stuff? They could do it in the 19th century, do it again.

7 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Because you can seriously get better policy analysis these days from an exceptionally well-written children's cartoon than from youtube, social media, and cable news:

Bryke and their team did such good political commentary in the Avatarverse. I remember reading a comparison between Hong Kong and Republic City and the similarities are striking.

5 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I personally think comedy is a safespace.  I mean no you can't go we should start lynching black people, or appear in blackface and all that.  However I think the PC stuff has gone way too far.  Seinfeld spoke on it a few years ago about his French gay king joke, and I think that was a great example. 

But like what comedians have suffered any real consequences from 'PC culture?' At most people complain online and stop supporting them. And that's not really the culture going too far as much as it is consumerism. Offensive comedy isn't being well received anymore and it's up to the comedians to adapt not blame the audience for being 'too politically correct.'

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

There's been divisions within the LGBT community for a long time, and the crap the "T" part is getting more attention (finally).  It's why I refuse to call myself an ally.

I understand this mindset but for me, as long as I can still align myself with the core values of a movement, I don't see a reason to disengage myself from a group just because the radicals go too far.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Let's also keep in mind, that even though Hilary's campaign had issues, she still got more votes from the American people. The electoral college is the largest reason she lost and it's really time that we give that concept a huge overhaul or discard it completely.

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

How about "if the masses are stupid enough to be swayed by this, we should bring civics back to the public schools as core-curriculum and try to create a more educated voter base in the alternative to cynically pandering to the lowest common denominator" 

There really isn't enough education in public schools on how our government works. If 18 year olds are allowed and encouraged to vote, we need to provide them with accessible resources to make an informed decision.

11 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Iran retaliates.

This really doesn't look good... I can't help but think a lot of this conflict was started so Tr*mp can get the wartime reelection...and that's a terrible reason for innocent people to lose their lives.

33 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Oh but Trump thought he could just kill a general of another country and say, yeah but we the US are tougher and bigger WTF are you going to do about it?  If you try anything you are finished! Sure works on his underlings I'm sure, but he doesn't understand that no you can't disrespect an entire country make it do whatever you want.  Countries have pride.  Of course this is all cause the dumbass pulled out of the Iran nuclear agreement (oh BTW Iran is back to working on their nuclear weapon program), then put hefty sanctions on Iran destroying their economy.  

Why the decision he made was made, what the 'imminent threat was' if there was one, all this better be explained by him.  

1 hour ago, Quiyonce said:

Let's also keep in mind, that even though Hilary's campaign had issues, she still got more votes from the American people. The electoral college is the largest reason she lost and it's really time that we give that concept a huge overhaul or discard it completely.

Indeed. Occasional reminder that there are 24 states in which the Electors in said Electoral College can actually vote for the OTHER candidate even though their state was won by the opposition. The popular vote gap could be as wide as 6 million and the Electoral College could still give Trump the win without even taking into account what I've just said about the unfaithful electors.

"But the same is true for the Democratic candidate, the Electoral College could hand the votes to the Democrat in states where Trump won."

Electors tend to be rich people or related to current and former politicians. If they're to pull that kind of shit, they'd most likely side with Trump as he's making the rich richer.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

It's generally more so for control of the world which the US can't get it's ass out of, why can't we just send the troops in the middle of nowhere back to the US and let the Europeans and everyone else to fend for themselves and start paying for their own stuff? They could do it in the 19th century, do it again.

I think most American take United States' dominance for granted. The USD is the world's top reserve currency and our federal Treasury bonds are probably safest out there. Our bonds are so safe that our entire financial system (and likely most of the rest of the world) uses our bond's interest rate as the standard for the risk-free rate of return. Obviously, nothing is completely risk free, but our bonds are risk free in a practical sense. With a desirable currency, bonds, and relatively low taxes, raising capital and starting businesses is relatively cheap in the United States. And if Trump was not a complete fucktard, we also have a relatively cheap labor pool across the border from a country that is friendly to us (and domestically as well if we count illegal immigrants). And that is just the business side of things.

For just the day to day stuff:

We are the most desirable country for immigrants to move to. This is a HUGE economic benefit as it keeps the labor pool stable and Social Security functioning. We have a shitty education system, but that is okay since we can just grab someone from abroad. Japan has a huge issue with labor shortage right now due to population growing older and maybe even going on decline soon. Europe has a similar issue, especially Eastern Europe, although they can probably better manage it with Western Europe being a popular destination for immigration too.

We have the best food in the world because we are have the entire world in our backyard (at least for the coastal cities). You can name any number of major foreign cuisine and I can confidently bet that most of those cuisines can be found in the largest 10 to 20 American cities and they will be authentic. In Sacramento, I know for sure we have all major Asian cuisines in our city and many other lesser known ones, from authentic Indian, Arabic, and Korean restaurants to more obscure ones like Hmong and Mien.

The lingua-franca of the world is English, and if you travel abroad a lot, you will know how much of a convenience that is. Imagine if the lingua-franca was Chinese or Arabic, and those two languages are pretty difficult to learn as they have little resemblance to Romance and Germanic languages. Even if you do not travel abroad, if you consume foreign media, the top priority for foreign media's international release will usually include English translation/localization. If we take anime and manga for example, the only fan base that rivals the size and translation efficiency of the English fan base would be the Spanish fan base.

All these benefits and more require an active United States presence on the world stage taking the lead. As bad as Trump may be, he is at least removeable and temporary. Do you really want a Chinese or Russian dictator to have even more influence in meddling in our lives? Our Hollywood is already under heavy assault and infiltration by Chinese propaganda. Russia has meddled with our electoral process and elected a complete dipshit like Trump and he is causing all sorts of problems; if you are an illegal immigrant or know someone close who is and are not in a sanctuary city, good luck living a life without the constant fear of having your friends and family being torn apart.

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

Oh but Trump thought he could just kill a general of another country and say, yeah but we the US are tougher and bigger WTF are you going to do about it?  If you try anything you are finished! Sure works on his underlings I'm sure, but he doesn't understand that no you can't disrespect an entire country make it do whatever you want.  Countries have pride.  Of course this is all cause the dumbass pulled out of the Iran nuclear agreement (oh BTW Iran is back to working on their nuclear weapon program), then put hefty sanctions on Iran destroying their economy.  

Why the decision he made was made, what the 'imminent threat was' if there was one, all this better be explained by him.  

I hope the conflict is a liability than an asset when election comes. I am okay with him killing the Iranian general, however, the way he talks about it is completely stupid and counter productive. He has every opportunity to spin it as a positive for the Iranian people being oppressed right now, but he fucking just talks about bullying the entire country. He is a fucking idiot reducing American soft power day by day.

Even if Bush was completely evil, at least he fucking understood the need to preserve American soft power as much as possible by lying about the need for the invasion, so the world does not think the American electorate is made up of a bunch of complete heartless retards.

I will be okay since I will be joining the Air Force reserves so I am not likely to go active, but for anyone joining the active military or the Army reserves and National Guard, I hope if they do enter the battlefield, the conditions will be more like the Gulf War where we are fighting a conventional war between states, and less like the Iraq War involving counter terrorism.

— — — — — — —

And just reading his stupid tweet is infuriating.

"All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning."

All is well? So far so good? Seriously? And you cannot even take the time to wake your fat ass up right now to make a fucking statement to reassure the American people, but you can text on Twitter with your fat chubby little fingers?

Edited by XRay

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Being a trans woman who doesn't follow the preconceived notion of what trans people are supposed to believe will get people attacking you and calling you a traitor or worse.

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Not t

What do you mean?

8 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Yes many factors why she lost, she also has no charisma.  Just the alternative, was a sack of shit and people voted for the sack of shit.  Guess I can't get over that.  I get the party loyalty, but how far does that go?  Something seriously messed up and that can be seen with how many Republicans and most GOP fully back Trump regardless of what he does.  I'm sure they know he is a scumbag and a criminal but they don't care.

I don't think you fully understand the mentality behind backing Trump.  As much as this pains me to say it, watch a bit of Fox News - not because you believe them/want to support them, but so that you can see what buttons they're pushing.  I managed to keep my sanity after half an hour. . .I would recommend a shorter time span.

Most of it will be emotional, and sound somewhat plausible.

8 hours ago, Lewyn said:

As for who can be reasoned with, one would figure independents/moderates would move dramatically away from Trump but they haven't.  So Republicans fear witchunt whathaveyou campaign seems to have been effective with the neutrals too.  Also even if there is a small shift, if Trump rigs the election which he definitely will do and no one will stop him, it isn't going to matter.

Which political figures, in your opinion, are "independent/moderates"?

5 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

If she'd had a better campaign strategy, the electoral college wouldn't have been as much of an issue.  It's a chicken-and-egg sort of scenario.

5 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

I understand this mindset but for me, as long as I can still align myself with the core values of a movement, I don't see a reason to disengage myself from a group just because the radicals go too far.

It's a movement protesting discrimination, yet has discrimination within it.  I can't support that kind of hypocrisy.  I'll support those that don't show it, but if the movement is known for those problems, then the movement needs to sort its issues before demanding equality.

(note to everyone reading this: snide remarks about religion will be grounds for a long suspension, there's a reason why most topics about religion are closed, and I'm not ready to close this thread)

6 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Insert surprised Pikachu face here.

Doesn't seem like there's a body count, thank goodness.  I want it to stay that way, but I doubt it will.

4 hours ago, XRay said:

And just reading his stupid tweet is infuriating.

"All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning."

All is well? So far so good? Seriously? And you cannot even take the time to wake your fat ass up right now to make a fucking statement to reassure the American people, but you can text on Twitter with your fat chubby little fingers?

I, for one, will wait for the official speech writers to hammer out something. . .anything. . .that makes Trump sound halfway human.  Otherwise, we may very well end up with a rousing off-the-cuff speech with racial slurs slipped in.

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Being a trans woman who doesn't follow the preconceived notion of what trans people are supposed to believe will get people attacking you and calling you a traitor or worse.

I'm so sorry.  I'd sooner betray a movement than betray myself.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I, for one, will wait for the official speech writers to hammer out something. . .anything. . .that makes Trump sound halfway human.  Otherwise, we may very well end up with a rousing off-the-cuff speech with racial slurs slipped in.

Part of me want to see him fail because he is a fucking idiot and he really needs to not get reelected, but part of me does not because he is still representing the United States and we really cannot screw it up right now.

I guess I will just hope the people around can knock some sense into him in private, especially Republicans. They already fucked up in Iraq and with any more screw ups, I hope the middle will not touch the Republican option for the next few presidential cycles.

Edited by XRay

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

What do you mean?

When did I say that

11 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Iran retaliates.

Bernie Sanders is the only full and consistent anti-war candidate running right now. And this has largely taken a backseat to healthcare so far; but now it needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

Edited by Shoblongoo

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

When did I say that

Yesterday, 3rd post from the bottom.

18 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Not t

[Lewyn Quoted]

27 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Yesterday, 3rd post from the bottom.

Oh---that's a typo (didn't even notice that until you pointed it out) 

There was something else i was going to say before quoting Lewyn and making that quip about voter education, and I deleted it, and I must have accidentally not deleted the first 5 characters. 

Must have been a paragraph that started with "not trying to" or "not to belabor the point" or something.  

Don't even remember what it was; so much has happened in the last 24 hours with all the Iran shit hitting the fan.