General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Trump's demanding a criminal investigation on Bolton. Did Bolton seriously not see this coming?

Bolton should ignore all subpoenas, tell anyone close to him to ignore them as well and delay delay delay.  See how the orange dipshit likes it.  This goes for any Democrat or anyone else that Trump investigates, ignore the rules and give him and the law the middle finger. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

That won't work for him. He doesn't have a cult and people in power cowering to his whims.

Well he could delay response to last day, ask for postponements for hearings, and appeal as much as possible.  This is what Trump did before his presidency.  If Trump complains, they can call him out on it.  

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

What happened this time?

A bunch of stuff. They're still doing coin flips and picking names out of hats to determine who gets delegates, and now a lot of their e-reporting(Apparently they have an app) is fucking up, so a bunch of the people running the caucus can't get into their accounts.

So the results are taking super long to come out, which ultimately just slows the momentum from the Iowa caucus.

Also there's a whole bunch of general nonsense with the delegation process because of some weird rules.

Edited by Slumber

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So apparently Trump wants Bolton to get locked up. 

For someone with NOTHING TO HIDE!!!! Trump certainly has a habit of wishing people that expose his corruption to get locked up, shot or otherwise punished. 

Bolton SHOULD be behind bars.

Unfortunately, the reasons Trump wants him in prison is because he questioned him, which is fascism 101.

Trump is making an enemies list, not only Bolton but the House managers in charge of impeachment and others.  He will get his slave Barr to open investigations on all of them and try to put them away.  

So not only can he get away with anything, he will also destroy anyone who even tries to call him out on it.  What a great country we live in.

57 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Trump is making an enemies list, not only Bolton but the House managers in charge of impeachment and others.  He will get his slave Barr to open investigations on all of them and try to put them away.  

So not only can he get away with anything, he will also destroy anyone who even tries to call him out on it.  What a great country we live in.

His enemies have good lawyers, and federal judges stonewall him at every turn. You better believe anything he would try to do would get so bogged down in courts that by the time any progress was made whatsoever, a new President would be in office, and their AG would be directed to drop the charges and retaliate against Barr.

Nancy Pelosi tearing up the SOTU speech copy on camera is my spirit animal. It's immature as heck (approximately as immature as the President purposely neglecting to shake her hand), but I guess I relate to it so well because I I was lucky enough to have the option of skipping it.

Edited by Glennstavos

Susan Collins: "I'm sure Trump learned his lesson from the Impeachment and won't do anything like this again"
Trump: "I LEARNED NOTHING! IT WAS A PERFECT CALL!"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-he-plans-to-award-presidential-medal-of-freedom-to-rush-limbaugh/2020/02/04/2d8f6a76-47a7-11ea-ab15-b5df3261b710_story.html

Goddamn fools.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

19 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

His enemies have good lawyers, and federal judges stonewall him at every turn. You better believe anything he would try to do would get so bogged down in courts that by the time any progress was made whatsoever, a new President would be in office, and their AG would be directed to drop the charges and retaliate against Barr.

The judges are on his side as they have proved time and time again.  If a new president comes in 2020 yeah there could be backlash, but 2024?  Don't know about that.

15 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Nancy Pelosi tearing up the SOTU speech copy on camera is my spirit animal. It's immature as heck (approximately as immature as the President purposely neglecting to shake her hand), but I guess I relate to it so well because I I was lucky enough to have the option of skipping it.

Trump figuratively tore up the constitution with his actions thus far, and had a speech of pure fiction that he passed as the state of the union.  What is the value of a document of lies?  Nothing, she ripped up that trash and hopefully recycled it....well maybe would be safer to burn it.

9 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Susan Collins: "I'm sure Trump learned his lesson from the Impeachment and won't do anything like this again"
Trump: "I LEARNED NOTHING! IT WAS A PERFECT CALL!"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-he-plans-to-award-presidential-medal-of-freedom-to-rush-limbaugh/2020/02/04/2d8f6a76-47a7-11ea-ab15-b5df3261b710_story.html

Goddamn fools.

Susan Collins is either an idiot or is just BSing.  Probably BSing.  She well knows Trump isn't going to learn from his mistake, cause he hasn't been punished for it, she just helped give the go ahead for him to continue to break rules and laws for whatever he desires.  She is in a purple state, she is just trying to get re elected while staying loyal to her master Mr. Trump.

Mitt Romney will vote to convict.  What's this a Republican with a conscience?  One that puts country over party?  Even if the results are pre determined, him (a republican) voting to convict takes a lot out of any celebration Trump can have.  He can't say partisan sham, when one of his own votes to remove him from office.  Romney gave a great speech, too bad other GOP members don't give a crap about their duty.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/02/romney-impeach-trump/606127/

Oh yeah and Rush Limbaugh the racist/sexist shock conservative host gets a presidential medal?  WTF.  

Ready for a woman president, a gay president?  I think people underestimate just how many absolutely would never vote for someone for this reason alone.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/iowa-caucus-goer-tries-to-change-vote-after-learning-pete-buttigieg-is-gay/

Edited by Lewyn

Can't say I'm always thrilled with my senators, but Mazie's speech was pretty amusing. . .basically, a reminder that the president shouldn't be above the law.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:38 AM, Hylian Air Force said:

That doesn't make it cheap for them, though. Really litigating these kinds of cases costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can litigate people into bankruptcy.

As for the senate vote, meh. We got the result we expected to begin with. I was expecting 2-3 more republicans to vote to impeach, but so be it.  

Luckily, the outstanding congressional subpoenas are still making their way through the courts, and I'm fully expecting the next democrat president to commit to investigations of what the fuck went down during the trump presidency.

6 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

That doesn't make it cheap for them, though. Really litigating these kinds of cases costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can litigate people into bankruptcy.

As for the senate vote, meh. We got the result we expected to begin with. I was expecting 2-3 more republicans to vote to impeach, but so be it.  

Luckily, the outstanding congressional subpoenas are still making their way through the courts, and I'm fully expecting the next democrat president to commit to investigations of what the fuck went down during the trump presidency.

Hope for? Yes

Expect it? Honestly, not even with Sanders. The Democrats have mostly shown weakness and hesitation when it comes to going on the offensive and while Bernie shows that he wants to do that against Wall Street and Corporations, I'm not sure enough Democrats will rally behind him when it comes to further exposing Republican and Trump admin corruption.

10 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Expect it? Honestly, not even with Sanders. The Democrats have mostly shown weakness and hesitation when it comes to going on the offensive and while Bernie shows that he wants to do that against Wall Street and Corporations, I'm not sure enough Democrats will rally behind him when it comes to further exposing Republican and Trump admin corruption.

What's this "even with Sanders" stuff? Of the leading candidates, the Sanders crowd has been shown the most likely to skip the election should Sanders not attain the nomination. They're as flaky on party goals as they were four years ago, and Sanders is commonly one of the last candidates to publicly condemn the latest, dumb Trump story. THE most important goal of this presidential election should be preventing Trump's second term. Anybody who thinks this is an easy win for the Democrats is kidding themselves,  Especially with inconsiderate douchebag mouthpieces like this one:

and especially when tampering with an election is now okay. If this administration wins again, the only dem candidates we can choose between in 2024 are the ones Republicans agree they could easily beat or blackmail into non-action.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

What's this "even with Sanders" stuff? Of the leading candidates, the Sanders crowd has been shown the most likely to skip the election should Sanders not attain the nomination. They're as flaky on party goals as they were four years ago, and Sanders is commonly one of the last candidates to publicly condemn the latest, dumb Trump story. THE most important goal of this presidential election should be preventing Trump's second term. Anybody who thinks this is an easy win for the Democrats is kidding themselves,  Especially with inconsiderate douchebag mouthpieces like this one:

and especially when tampering with an election is now okay. If this administration wins again, the only dem candidates we can choose between in 2024 are the ones Republicans agree they could easily beat or blackmail into non-action.

I was referring to the politicians, not the voters. You have to remember that people wanted Obama take action against the war criminals and the assholes that pushed us into the war under W Bush but Obama decided to "look forward" and not backward instead. There's Democrats that are guilty of the corruption too and so they would be hesitant on pursuing justice for that bullshit.

I don't agree with the stance the Bernie voters are taking if Bernie is not the nominee but I understand where they're coming from. Like you, I believe the highest priority is to beat Trump and I'm voting for the Democratic nominee regardless of who it is... but, I'd be lying if I said I feel nothing compelling me to just not vote in 2020 if Bernie or Warren are not the nominee for the following 2 reasons.

1. The "veteran" Democrats' handling of the impeachment articles was mostly motivated by the notion of Trump attacking Biden (one of their own and the candidate they wish to push down our throats), and the way they handled the Russia investigation showed that they were more focused on pushing the idea that Hillary only lost because of Russian interference. These people are out of touch and could use a good punch in the face so that they wake up to the fact people know politicians like them are bought and the people are fucking sick and tired of it and I'm confident in saying that this a big reason for why you see that detail on the Bernie voters. Recall that some people who voted for Obama turned to Trump to shake up the establishment... ultimately, they got conned but it doesn't change the anti-establishment sentiment that a lot of the country still has today and if you've been paying attention, said establishment and the media is more interested in pushing someone like Pete or Biden who have no interest in undoing this money in politics garbage while trying to sink Bernie who's consistently seeing more support from common people.

2. I'm in Texas, unless there's indication that a large number of White voters in Texas are sick of Trump and want him gone, the electoral college makes my vote in the General Election worthless. I'm definitely voting in the primary but I'm not making promises about voting in the General election unless the Democratic nominee is Bernie or Warren.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Food for thought, but it seems like there is at least some democrat political figures that would not do the same. Joe Manchin said a while back he wouldn't support Bernie over Trump.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/468278-manchin-says-he-wouldnt-back-sanders-against-trump-in-presidential-race

Hillary Clinton said more recently that she didn't know if she could support Sanders over Trump, and then walked it back when she was called out on it. Say what you want with Sanders supporters, because these people obviously exist, but he was the one that campaigned for her extensively after he lost because he did think beating Trump was more important.

And the same way she slammed him for failing to unite Democrats in 2016 is a common argument. Yet there have been many, many examples of Democratic media figures and politicians slamming Bernie and disregarding his support as "misogynistic Bernie Bros". Unity - and Democrat party goals - seem to be a fluid concept, sometimes.

We will see how this continues to progress if he is, indeed, the frontrunner. Joe Biden, for all the problems I have with him, at least said that he would support the person in the general which is probably the best thing he's said all election time.

By the way, what has happened with this whole impeachment thing? He was acquitted as expected because the documents were sent to the Senate, and Trump's approval is now the highest since winning the election... exactly as expected. He also got a similar bump in after he was not charged after the Mueller report. Evidently, the two stories that the Democrats have pushed the most have not worked out no matter what you think of them.

Obviously, these type of Sanders supporters exist in some capacity - because they think the current 'mainstream' of the Democratic party is utterly broken. I don't agree with them that is more important than voting against Trump, but talk to them and they will tell you why they think the way they do.

Edited by Tryhard