General US Politics

Ansem

13 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

He didn't get the nomination. But he proved that what once once dismissed as 'radical' ideas of the fringe-left are mainstream positions that millions of people want to get behind. 

And he left a mark on the political scene that's not going away anytime soon. 

Well fought, Bernie. Well fought. 

His bringing real leftism into the spotlight has helped sow the seeds for future generations to put an end to neolibralism in the US

Edited by Johann

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's talk of Bernie having won the ideological war, leaving his mark on the political scene, bringing progressive ideas into the mainstream, etc... I can't help but think that it may not matter in the grand scheme of things. As long as we have the Electoral College in play, it is only the swing states that will matter in the Presidential election and the fact that the establishment successfully put into place another candidate pandering to the rich may be more demoralizing for those pushing progressive ideas because who knows when we'll see another candidate like Bernie?

People pushing for change are campaigning on the Democratic party but that party itself has so much corruption that it's a wonder when any good change will push through specially with the Senate situation. It's super frustrating that the Republican party basically gets a free pass with the voter base they cultivated and the Supreme Court decisions on voter suppression related issues.

8 hours ago, Johann said:

His bringing real leftism into the spotlight has helped sow the seeds for future generations to put an end to neolibralism in the US

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

People pushing for change are campaigning on the Democratic party but that party itself has so much corruption that it's a wonder when any good change will push through specially with the Senate situation.

I am fine with where the Democratic Party is at right now. I do not mind some of the policy positions of the left, but I am not convinced going far left is the answer. Progress and change will come, but it will not be at the speed the left wants. If it is already difficult trying to win elections holding on to the moderate votes, going far left is just going to make winning more difficult. It is better to win elections and implement changes methodically bit by bit than going hard left and turning people off.

...so if there were any Bernie holdouts here who were still on the fence about supporting Biden and thinking he's just as bad as Trump....

Hopefully this whole COVID response meltdown has put that to bed.

Edited by Shoblongoo

4 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...so if there were any Bernie holdouts here who were still on the fence about supporting Biden and thinking he's just as bad as Trump....

That always was a pretty bizare belief to have. I mean no matter what flaws Biden has he's not an openly corrupt businessman, he doesn't despise America's allies and loves its enemies, his devotion to democracy isn't extremely questionable and I don't recall him saying we should ''target their families'' or that Corona is a hoax. 

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Hopefully this whole COVID response meltdown has put that to bed.

If my newspaper is any indication, nope.  I see comments thanking Trump for his response.

Being in a WWI trench provides good evidence some would say for the nonexistence of God, but being in one provides a good reason to want to believe in a benevolent God just the same. Replace "WWI trench" with Coronavirus and "God" with a "perfect" Trump, and you have an okayish comparison. Crises are not guaranteed to make disbelievers of a "wrongful" concept and can have the opposite effect.

At the end of the day, this country was already polarized into factions against and for Agent Orange. Nothing so far has stuck to the demagogue, and no future disaster will peel off his supporters. Well, not in significant numbers, maybe a few farmers abandoned him during the Chinese Tariff War of... 300BC? -I forget how long it has been.

Even if rural Americans started falling like Plague victims into mass graves, which it hasn't, 20k dead Americans in total is still tiny, would they blame the President? Or would the living be so consumed with grief that they would be focused on grieving and shout at you if you tried to ask them "Who do you blame for this?" because they honestly don't care about that? Then the tears dry up, and they try to get on living daily life with sorrow in their hearts, never once thinking about how their loss is related to government, and thus going to the ballot box/voting by mail without the slightest change in their thinking from what it was pre-Coronavirus.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Being in a WWI trench provides good evidence some would say for the nonexistence of God, but being in one provides a good reason to want to believe in a benevolent God just the same. Replace "WWI trench" with Coronavirus and "God" with a "perfect" Trump, and you have an okayish comparison. Crises are not guaranteed to make disbelievers of a "wrongful" concept and can have the opposite effect.

At the end of the day, this country was already polarized into factions against and for Agent Orange. Nothing so far has stuck to the demagogue, and no future disaster will peel off his supporters. Well, not in significant numbers, maybe a few farmers abandoned him during the Chinese Tariff War of... 300BC? -I forget how long it has been.

Even if rural Americans started falling like Plague victims into mass graves, which it hasn't, 20k dead Americans in total is still tiny, would they blame the President? Or would the living be so consumed with grief that they would be focused on grieving and shout at you if you tried to ask them "Who do you blame for this?" because they honestly don't care about that? Then the tears dry up, and they try to get on living daily life with sorrow in their hearts, never once thinking about how their loss is related to government, and thus going to the ballot box/voting by mail without the slightest change in their thinking from what it was pre-Coronavirus.

The fact that the stimulus checks will be signed by Trump tells me what he's banking on for his re-election.  The sad thing is, I think it'll work.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The fact that the stimulus checks will be signed by Trump tells me what he's banking on for his re-election.  The sad thing is, I think it'll work.

Oiiiiiiiii.... Why can't he meet Hoover's and Van Buren's fates? If you term ends in an economic downturn, it's a hot potato bomb that kicks you out of office.

Is America becoming India where I once read elections are entirely tribal/cultural and not driven by "it's the economy, stupid!"? Of course it happens now, Trump set the grounds for it. Or background socio-economic stuff I don't understand happening over the country set the grounds for Trump, who is merely symbolic of the tribal-cultural change.

And I thought I heard a relative already got the stimulus check- digitally. But the cynic in me assumes enough Americans will get it physical to make the difference. And that of those who get it digitally, they'll be overwhelmingly people who'd rather vote for a rotisserie chicken as president than Trump anyhow.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

It's pretty tribal right now yeah. You may see people in their late 20s and 30s despise that their hard earned money is going towards things they don't need or benefit people that aren't them (Social Security for the current Boomers for example).

There's definitely more discord on the Left due things like "Bernie or Bust" and just a natural dislike of Biden because he is basically just a perpetuation of what we all hate about our government lol. There's some vocal dissent from the right but that's mostly from never Trumpers and as far as the voters are concerned, they just keep eating up whatever Fox News feeds them which basically boils down to "Trump is great, vote Trump, Democrats bad. Soooooooocialiiiiiiiism".

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

26 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The sad thing is, I think it'll work.

I dont wanna be overly optimistic and discount the possibility that he pulls an upset again. But I talked earlier in the primaries about why I don’t think he wins Michigan in November. And Dems just won statewide election in Wisconsin.  (the election they tried to postpone because of the pandemic, a Republican court made them hold anyway, and that Trump spent a COVID press briefing complaining they only tied to reschedule because Trump endorsed the Republican and they knew he was going to win. That election.) I’m feeling pretty good about our chances in the Midwest this time.

Edited by Shoblongoo

12 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Cuomo is also thanking trump for his response to the pandemic in the briefings. 

Cuomo is a public figure, and has a lot more incentive to look like he's happy with Trump (namely, not dividing the country further).  Private citizens are under no such obligation.

Yeah--Trump has basically turned Corona Virus relief for the states into a patronage gig, where the governors that praise him and tell him what an amazing job he's doing get help and the governors that point out what he's doing wrong don't. 

Disgusting that he's not getting  more push-back from Republicans over this. 

But they'll let him get away with anything, so Cuomo's doing whats hes gotta do to protect his state. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

So, around other parts of the internet, lotta people who would have voted Bernie or Warren are now saying they won't vote Biden. 

I'm not sure I've said this here before, but I don't think Biden is going to get elected if he doesn't throw the democratic left/socdem crowd a pretty big bone.

6 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

So, around other parts of the internet, lotta people who would have voted Bernie or Warren are now saying they won't vote Biden. 

I'm not sure I've said this here before, but I don't think Biden is going to get elected if he doesn't throw the democratic left/socdem crowd a pretty big bone.

I think the easiest way is to simply have Bernie or Warren be VP, or at least try to incorporate them into the cabinet. Trump and Pence are pretty far apart in terms of ideology and personality, so I do not think there is anything wrong with picking Bernie or Warren or some other person further on the left.

That said, I am not sure how likely the far left are to vote. While Bernie attracts all age groups, he has a significant following from younger people, but the youth are notoriously horrible at voting.

With only hours left on the clock for Hitler's Birthday, our president has signed an executive order banning all pending immigration for the foreseeable future. Via twitter (because where else?):

To my knowledge a ban of all immigrants, regardless of ethnicity or ideology, has never been attempted in the nation's history. Not even through some weird technicality during war time or something. Reasons cited include job security and defending against the "Invisible Enemy". Definitely boggles the mind how somebody so fixated on restarting the economy would drain the potential work force like that. And don't think I don't see the dogwhistle in calling them the "invisible enemy", as if we're to expect he's referring to COVID-19 and not the usual racist shit he'll say about people from other countries.

The only part of the world our country needs to consider banning is people from the White House. All we need to do is have the infrastructure to test and trace people at borders. It's that simple. But instituting testing anywhere for any reason has been treated like trying to move the freakin' earth. How can anybody say it's unsafe to let in more people, yet also swear that it's time to flip a switch and reopen the country? There is no logic here, only petty hatred. This is what terrifies me so much about this guy winning a second term where he won't have to worry about re-election. But I'm starting to think this guy has given up on re-election and is treating this final year as if it would have been his next four. There's no erasing this part of history. 

How 'bout stopping dumbass protestors/tourists from flying into Hawaii first?

Yes, we had one of those lockdown protests.  The protestors did not look like locals.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:23 PM, eclipse said:

How 'bout stopping dumbass protestors/tourists from flying into Hawaii first?

Yes, we had one of those lockdown protests.  The protestors did not look like locals.

There's evidence that these protests are largely fake events to give the impression that ending the lockdown has more support than it does.

The fact that all of them were organized at the same time in about the span of 1-2 days really should have made it more obvious.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

There's evidence that these protests are largely fake events to give the impression that ending the lockdown has more support than it does.

The fact that all of them were organized at the same time in about the span of 1-2 days really should have made it more obvious.

Our local paper seemed to think otherwise.  But then again. . .it's my local paper.