General US Politics

Ansem

19 minutes ago, Perfect Infinitive Exitus said:

but if you think, that what i say is a "word salad", what justification do i have in taking anything you say seriously?

Right about the same justification you have in referring to stuff as "gay" and "retarded," i.e, not a lot. But these are just details.

The fact that a President brings it upon himself to incite this kind of crappy behavior is deplorable enough. Forget trying to square this particular circle; it's a lost cause.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Perfect Infinitive Exitus said:

Ebola wasnt as easily caught as corona is, which is why its easy to quarantine it unlike with corona @XRay

Details, details, it seems that nobody cares about the intricacies of those things.

You see what I did there? If you are going to ignore facts and statistics of others, I could just as easily ignore yours. I agree ebola is not as easily caught, but COVID-19's economic damage is just as preventable. Taiwan and South Korea did not even shut down and Japan only had to shut down for like a month.

I think you are interpreting too much malice into trumps actions when much of it is justified.

i think Trump isn't a very pleasant individual but he is by no means evil and his actions do cause some good.

I think the opportunity zones as well as the action for more shool choice for african americans was a great idea and locking down the country at the very beginning to prevent people from other countries coming in at the start of covid was a great idea, which he got bashed for "because of course he does, since there is nothing trump can do that is right and moral" or something.

I don't agree much with the trade war against china, even if they aren't a fair player, i think that the first step of the deal is what caused china to lie about covid because of their contempt although that is just speculation.

then again, at least people see china for the dangerous country that it is now, not to mention their huge influence on the WHO, any entertainment or tech industry or other, who offshore their business out to china or other for cheap labor.

Anti-China sentiment has been rising and enabled by the Trump administration. It also takes a special kind of person to think Trump isn't evil at this moment, though.

1 hour ago, Perfect Infinitive Exitus said:

You cant just give out stimulus checks to people, it causes great inflation and the government cannot afford to spend so much, when its already spending trillions on "stuff nobody needs".

And you might say "oh man inflation boohoo" but not boohoo, rich people, who almost everyone relies on because of their taxes will just move out of the state (like elon musk) or even worse out of the country itself, taking their business with them.

And that way? You lose even more worth in the dolla, so your 1k of trump bux is only worth 300 or less in just 1 or 2 months of prolonged distribution with the (admittingly arbitrary) projection of that being that for continued distribution of money.

Which is why i don't agree with so much money being spent on military either, since that money could go somewhere else, like peoples pockets, so they don't have to pay as much tax, which would be better for the economy.

But Trump has reasons for building up the military, which is primarily making other countries be scared of them, while being a bit more respected.

You wouldnt want to offend someone, who has his hands on the big red button would you?Unless you have nothing to lose, or you think that you are immune.

Yeah fuck those billionaires. If they wanna fuck off, they can fuck off.

Military money comes back to the citizens. I never argued against military money. Military money put me through school.

Anyway, dude with the big red button has no reason to be offended. He has the big red button. The fact that we have someone who can get extremely pissed off on the BIG RED button is an issue.

Regardless, if they didn't want to have stimulus checks demanded, they shouldn't have;

a) botched COVID;

b) botched COVID relief;

c) tried to get us back into work so more of us can catch covid, overwhelm hospitals, and die in greater %s (and disproportionately affect black people);

d) print 1.5 trillion dollars to pump into the economy only for it to do nothing to help it

Maybe one day trump will "accidentially nuke" iraq next time they "accidentially" sink a ship or "unintentionally" shoot down a plane.

With the exact same words the iraquian government used to defend themselves in their "unintentional" action.

Maybe even a sarcastic tone?

"oopsie doopsie i made a fucky wucky uwu i did nawt meen to do dis owo"

Sorry for not being serious but i had to.

I really hope it doesn't come to this either way.

On the other hand, do you think Trump would be safe from protestors or rioters if the police wasnt there to protect him?

I doubt it.

Protestors would probably heavily injure the guy if not kill him.

Besides, this is all assuming, that the police tear gassed because of trumps visit and not because people started attacking the police or any other arbitrary reason that is just as valid.

If trump did not visit, protestors would (likely) not attack the police, which wouldnt lead to tear gas use.

But trump felt like he had to visit to pay respects to the monumental church.

The photoshoot might just be an action taken because he doesn't want the church to be town down or burned to ashes before he could even take a pic, yknow.

And if we take the reason the police gave, which is them being attacked first before they shot tear gas, is it that unreasonable of an action?

If i was police i wouldnt like to be attacked by people who are angry at a percieved boogeyman.

Besides, attacking any arbitrary people, like we established earlier, is not a good way to resolve peace.

LOL omg, I'm way too lazy to actually argue against this, someone else wanna take over for me? There's like 50 different terrible points happening here and I have 25 minutes before a zoom meeting.

ou said you wamted police reform because police brutality wasn't the only thing people protest on the streets for, im which case:

Police reform of what kind?

What would "police reform" mean to you?

What specific reform do you have in mind?

Reveal hidden contents

I have my own ideas, which is prison reform that doesn't need quotas, good pay, sufficient training, a background check and no allowing the use of lethal weapons in subduing, unless you or someone else has been attacked/shot before by them, in which case you may annihilate the individual absolutely.

On top of that, encouragement of getting in contact with their lawyer or providing one if they dont have one.

Of course sparing the life is of highest priority but if you are being shot at?

If i was a police officer, i would worry about my own safety as well as my friends and family first, someone who is shooting at me is the last i will care about.

but ok.

I posted about it. It even included the intricacies of these things. It was a twitter thread, sure, but the dude covered every single point far better than I could have.

Sorry for making you read these huge posts but i want to try to be as detailed as i can in talking about those things, to not lose any detail or intent.

I seem to be the only one to be defending this orange guy here even though i don't want to do it.

But i think that some judgements are completely unjust, whatever the source of that judgement might be.

I for one think there is a bigger problem than orange dude, which is people having an opinion about stuff they dont know anything about and therefore making judgements based on their perception, especially if emotionally founded or falsely prioritizing

like me spending an hour on these posts...

I think the orange dude has that problem which you're describe. In any case, the most powerful person in the world deserves every criticism he'll ever get. That's the hallmark of a free democracy.

sorry, but im not natively english speaking but im trying my best

Yeah, you're a natural gish galloper. I've dealt with your kind before. You'd save a lot of time if you just got straight to the point, considering most of us are ignoring all the stuff you're saying.

I don't understand why you're asking me all these questions expecting an answer when I didn't get an answer to this question:

3 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

do you smell your own farts

Edited by Lord Raven

Anyyyyyyways. While Donald Trump was hiding in his bunker and gassing protesters to get to a photo op, Joe Biden stepped into the crowd of protesters and addressed the nation today.

And it was--legitimately one of the best speeches I've heard from a public figure in recent years. Powerful stuff:

____

Please everyone: give this a watch if you haven't seen it already.

Its worth 25 minutes of your day. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

The fact that Joe's out and about while Trump is being a fuckwit is more than enough of an argument for me.

My local news recently covered my governor's reaction to a nationwide meeting involving Trump and every single governor.  He said that the general sentiment was that Trump was not listening to them. . .I mean, my state's solidly blue, but it's still pretty damning.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Anyyyyyyways. While Donald Trump was hiding in his bunker and gassing protesters to get to a photo op, Joe Biden stepped into the crowd of protesters and addressed the nation today.

And it was--legitimately one of the best speeches I've heard from a public figure in recent years. Powerful stuff:

That is some good stuff. I hope his words and actions are enough to win the votes and the presidency. He already sounds like what a president sounds like.

I hope something like Trump never happens again. Just one presidency can do so much damage to America's economy, health, national security, and international standing. I hope Joe is right and that America will come out stronger out of the mess we are in right now. I do not think we can have a second term of disaster, incompetence, and pride.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

____

Please everyone: give this a watch if you haven't seen it already.

Its worth 25 minutes of your day. 

This was a great watch.  God what a contrast between him and Trump.  One guy goes out meets the protesters, speaks out about this in a mature way with plans to deal with long term problems.  The other hides in the White house bunker then tear gas on clergy and peaceful protest so he can pose with the Bible in a church, then threatens martial law.

The various legislation, I bet you the GOP will shoot all those bills down if they even acknowledge them.  No we believe in the police, they need freedom to do their job, and a bunch of other BS.  It won't even get to Trump's desk, but if it does cops are a big part of his support so he won't sign it.  

Pelosi was right when she said last year that America can't survive another 4 years of Trump.  If Trump is re elected we really must be one of the least intelligent populaces in history.

On George Floyd when the cop that was charged with 3rd degree murder gets off the hook (like Eric Garner's killer) the protests/riots now will look like a walk in the park.  

I'm not American, but holy shit that Biden speech was good. After four years of hearing and reading about Trump and the GOP, it honestly comes as a surprise. I know a lot of people were divided over the democratic candidates, and some even claim they will not vote for Biden if Sanders or someone else wasn't the candidate. I hope this speech is enough to unify the voters who want Trump out, and this whole ordeal encourages people who don't usually vote to go out and vote (or mail it cause covid). For the sake of everyone in the states.

21 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

For the sake of everyone in the states.

And for the sake of our allies abroad too. I have relatives in Canada and New Zealand, and having a stable America helps everyone out.

Are we sharing Biden clips?

This has been making the rounds. Not just comparing the plight of black americans to black south africans under apartheid, but due to a striking parallel of a quote between then and now:

Thirdly: 'Black South Africans - the choices before South Africans are equally clear. We call on them to avoid easy dissent into violence, terrorism, and extremism. To demonstrate by their actions they understand the need for compromise' Hell, they've tried to compromise for twenty years. They've tried everything, everything in their power. And look what's happened to them. They're being crushed.

So nice to see the various Militia groups, 3%'s, Oath Keepers, Don't Trend on Me guys completely silent during all of this. I thought they trained and armed up their whole loves to fight "government tyranny". Yet when the clearest forms of government tyranny to date in recent history comes knocking they're nowhere to be found. I guess it's not tyranny when the innocent people being tear gased, shot by rubber bullets in the face and beaten by cops have more melanin in their skin. 

Bunch of spinless LARPers they are.

Before anyone tried to say "I told you so" yes I already knew most of them (alongside modern american conservatism) is general where a bunch of hypocrites who as usual beat their chest about their supposed values then turn right back around on said values. Yes I know most right wing/republican gun owners claim to hate the government and demand small government then hero worship the very foundation of strong centralized core government a heavily armed police force or siccing the military on the civilian population.  

lol now he's whining that he was just visiting the bunker to inspect it briefly (i.e. "i-its not like I was hiding or anything, Baka!") 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/500882-trump-claims-he-visited-bunker-briefly-during-the-day-to-inspect-it

...and he thought wearing a facemask would make him look weak... 

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

lol now he's whining that he was just visiting the bunker to inspect it briefly (i.e. "i-its not like I was hiding or anything, Baka!") 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/500882-trump-claims-he-visited-bunker-briefly-during-the-day-to-inspect-it

...and he thought wearing a facemask would make him look weak... 

For fuck's sake, if that dumbass did not keep making a big deal about the bunker, we are going to forget about it sooner or later and not use it against him in the future. But since he is so adamant about not hiding in a bunker, that only makes him sound like he is in total denial and a complete and utter lying wuss. Being a wuss does not look good, but we are all wusses at one time or another, very few of us are actually completely fearless. But to be in a complete denial about being a wuss just makes him look worse and completely repulsive. This lying piece of wuss is alone and afraid and does not do anything to stop being a wuss. A normal wuss admits it, asks friends for help, and does whatever they need to do stop being a wuss.

Masculinity in a man is not measured by how much macho you can hoard and show off, masculinity in a man is measured by how much you are willing to lose. I feel comfortable wearing a pink shirt because I feel so manly already that wearing a pink shirt is a subtle way of saying "I am wearing a pink shirt and I am still manlier than you." If he was a real man, he would not be so afraid of some protesters grabbing him by the crotch and walked to the church in front of protestors and took some photos with the reverend.

32 minutes ago, XRay said:

For fuck's sake, if that dumbass did not keep making a big deal about the bunker, we are going to forget about it sooner or later and not use it against him in the future. But since he is so adamant about not hiding in a bunker, that only makes him sound like he is in total denial and a complete and utter lying wuss. Being a wuss does not look good, but we are all wusses at one time or another, very few of us are actually completely fearless. But to be in a complete denial about being a wuss just makes him look worse and completely repulsive. This lying piece of wuss is alone and afraid and does not do anything to stop being a wuss. A normal wuss admits it, asks friends for help, and does whatever they need to do stop being a wuss.

Masculinity in a man is not measured by how much macho you can hoard and show off, masculinity in a man is measured by how much you are willing to lose. I feel comfortable wearing a pink shirt because I feel so manly already that wearing a pink shirt is a subtle way of saying "I am wearing a pink shirt and I am still manlier than you." If he was a real man, he would not be so afraid of some protesters grabbing him by the crotch and walked to the church in front of protestors and took some photos with the reverend.

If you're wearing pink clothing/items and people criticize you for wearing it just claim it's for breast cancer and guilt trip the f#*! out of them!

7 hours ago, PyroPlazma said:

So nice to see the various Militia groups, 3%'s, Oath Keepers, Don't Trend on Me guys completely silent during all of this. I thought they trained and armed up their whole loves to fight "government tyranny". Yet when the clearest forms of government tyranny to date in recent history comes knocking they're nowhere to be found. I guess it's not tyranny when the innocent people being tear gased, shot by rubber bullets in the face and beaten by cops have more melanin in their skin. 

Actually, they haven’t been silent. They’ve been bolstering police and have instigated the looting in some cases.

There’s an infuriating video of armed guys hanging out with the police after curfew, when just earlier unarmed protestors had been gassed. 

It’s absolutely insane (but sadly believable) that we’re seeing so much overwhelming and overt police brutality - of course this has always gone on, but now people have mobile phones and can record live and it hasn’t stopped the police at all.

And I’ll happily argue for you, Lord Raven, once I’m finished with work.

Everything about what's going on the last few days have been tone deaf at best. The bible stunt has eroded some of Trump's base, which was incredible.

4 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Everything about what's going on the last few days have been tone deaf at best. The bible stunt has eroded some of Trump's base, which was incredible.

That's what happens when the clergy is gassed.  What's sad is that there are people who still support him.

51 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

46 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That's what happens when the clergy is gassed.

...so many history is told in pictures moments...

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, crowd and outdoor

...a tale of two presidents...

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, suit and indoor

...not a single clergyman or congregant in the entire place  willing to pose with them...

These are the active-duty units deployed to the DC region for ...

...the steps of the Lincoln Memorial looking like a scene out of The Handmaid's Tale...

hey shob ive been saying for the last one that they're preventing the pro-john wilkes booth looters from attacking the lincoln memorial, i trust the military more than the police rn

Trump touts himself a tough guy but he is a weak pitiful coward.  Yeah as boss of his company he can be tough on his employees, as president he can act like a jackass.  It's fucking easy to be tough when you have all the power.  Tough is someone without power or much less power fighting back.  Something a pompous constantly spoiled child would never be able to do.

He also had the audacity to say today that he has done more for black Americans than any president besides possibly Lincoln.  Like no, he actually set them back and hasn't done crap for them.  

Fox tried to label the bishop who lashed out against Trump as partisan, and showed the protesting clergy as all blacks.  The intent is obvious, and we know how Fox portrays black people and what they think of Democrats.  Trump will survive this bible stunt fine like he survives everything else.

He seems to have backed off on the threat of military cause of the pushback from the Pentagon.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

Hopefully Republicans read this and at least some of them are turned off by Trump.  How to turn people off of Trump has less to do with what Trump does than getting people highly respected and regarded by Republicans to speak out against him hard.  That is really the only thing that will do it.  

Trump is actually, finally getting around to building his wall...to keep Americans out of the White House. I don’t even know where to begin with this tomfoolery. At least, that is what it looks like. I can’t recall a time where something like this was built around the White House.

Edited by Dai

On 6/3/2020 at 1:14 PM, PyroPlazma said:

Bunch of spinless LARPers they are.

Before anyone tried to say "I told you so" yes I already knew most of them (alongside modern american conservatism) is general where a bunch of hypocrites who as usual beat their chest about their supposed values then turn right back around on said values. Yes I know most right wing/republican gun owners claim to hate the government and demand small government then hero worship the very foundation of strong centralized core government a heavily armed police force or siccing the military on the civilian population.  

Actually kind of the problem I have with a lot of those folks that talk about the second ammendment and tyrannical governments. And when it actually happens, especially under Republican presidents (eg. Patriot Act), they are nowhere to be seen.

I may still not agree with it, but I at least have more respect for Americans that justify their owning of firearms as a hobby. At least there's nothing inherently hypocritical about it.

18 hours ago, eclipse said:

That's what happens when the clergy is gassed.  What's sad is that there are people who still support him.

i'm starting to think this trump guy might not be the christian he says he is

Edited by Tryhard

4 hours ago, Dai said:

Trump is actually, finally getting around to building his wall...to keep Americans out of the White House. I don’t even know where to begin with this tomfoolery. At least, that is what it looks like. I can’t recall a time where something like this was built around the White House.

Damn. I thought you were joking. He IS REALLY building a wall around himselfThat is just... really pathetic and weak. At least hiding in a bunker is deniable. Building a wall to hide behind for the everyone to see is irrefutable. He is basically telling the whole wide world that he is turning into the thing he likes to grab the most.

I like the joke, but Trump does not have the balls nor negotiation skills to make Mexico pay for this wall. What he can do is to take funds away from the military to fund this wall, maybe even from the VA itself.

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

The arguer may be hypocritical about tyrannical governments, but I think the reason in itself is not bad.

I agree it is not very convincing if a smoker tells someone to not smoke, but the smoker does have a point.

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

i'm starting to think this trump guy might not be the christian he says he is

I am still a bit surprised a lot of the religious right thought he was a Christian in the first place and voted whole heartedly for him.

Yeah Trump could say something unify us, or suggest new legislation to deal with the problem.  Instead he is being a (fill in the blank) and building a wall around the white house.  That wall should come out of his own finances.  Tax payer money shouldn't cover his paranoia and cowardice.  

Trump is a go to church for Christmas and Easter type Christian, at least that is what he has said himself.  Multiple divorces, sexual assaults, theft, lying....yeah not what Jesus would do certainly.  However he needs the Christians, especially the Evangelists, to stay in power.

Those so called freedom fighters.  2nd amendment dudes, whatever.  They are a bunch of phonies.  Oh you are for small government, fight against tyranny?  Yet as Trump expands federal and executive branch power you have nothing to say do you?  We are for freedom!  Oh but some people want to protest injustice by kneeling during national anthem, and you throw a fit?

These freedom fighters are for oppression of anyone that doesn't share their views.  They are the opposite of what they claim to be. 

If they did march in these protests, it would force Republicans to take proposed legislation to help fix these problems seriously.