General US Politics

Ansem

46 minutes ago, Dai said:

This sounds bogus, and, if he does actually run, I worry any votes he gets will just shift towards Trump in the EC.

A lot of us were wondering why this was the year he finally put down the MAGA hat. "Born Again Yeezus" could potentially cut into the conservative christian bloc that Trump is relying on. I think you could argue either way which of the two campaigns would be helped by this addition. It'll be a landmark election if he did come away with an EC vote at all, but I wager faithless electors will play a larger role overall. 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

A lot of us were wondering why this was the year he finally put down the MAGA hat. "Born Again Yeezus" could potentially cut into the conservative christian bloc that Trump is relying on. I think you could argue either way which of the two campaigns would be helped by this addition. It'll be a landmark election if he did come away with an EC vote at all, but I wager faithless electors will play a larger role overall. 

I'm merely worried that it'll ruin Biden's chances and bolster Trump's. 2020's been a year where EVERYTHING has gone wrong, and I really don't think I can live in a world were Trump secures another term. As it is, I see far too many people where I look that think Biden's just as bad, if not somehow WORSE than Donny.

52 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Reportedly he put away the MAGA hat in February 2019, a month after he basically outted himself as a Trump supporter.

I don't think Kanye will do anything because nobody wants someone fucking erratic right now. Someone who's erratic as shit and keeps changing their mind is what got us here, and the reason Biden is polling over 50% is because the "sleepy joe" label is preferable to Tantrump.

"There's no way he'll last until the actual election in November. This is clearly a stunt", is what I said last time when Trump ran, although Trump seemed to put a bit more thought into his presidential run and didn't start it when his chances of even getting on the ballot are unfeasible. Regardless, there is no doubt in my mind that if he gets on the ballot he will have a substantial amount of voters. A lot of my friends who just came of voting age saw this and were like "Hell yeah, let's vote for Kanye". That's Kanye's main demographic, and while he does cut a little into the conservative christian bloc, I'd say his main bloc is early Gen Z-ers/Late conservative Millennials. Granted, that isn't a massive group. There's no way he'll get the 5% he'd need, but it'd say he's gonna get the same amount of votes that third parties usually get, around 2-3%.

And although horrifying, the prospect of him actually getting the 5% so that he'd have proper funding is even more interesting. It'd introduce the idea that third parties in America have a better shot, instead of it just being a "wasted vote". Frankly that's the only think keeping me voting Democrat.

So how big are the chances this will stack the deck against Biden? Because if this goes wrong then Biden will have to content not only with the electoral college and the voter suppression Trump will inevitably employ, but also his own votes getting split.

I never had much hope for Trump to get defeated and if Kanye turns into a worst case scenarios that could end up being one of the reasons how Trump will do it.

I mean, according to some CNN research from 2018, it seems like Kanye has "higher favorability among white voters and Republicans than non-white voters and Democrats." That suggests to me that he would eat into Trump's base more than Biden's, and that's already presupposing that a) he's entirely serious with this b) he even gets the paperwork and fundraising done needed to even get on ballots and c) he doesn't drop out by Election Day. 

Remember, Trump declared his nomination at the the beginning of the primary process and had campaign and party infrastructures. Kanye has none of that and, frankly, I think this is probably a sign of an upcoming album more than of a serious campaign.

7 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

Regardless, there is no doubt in my mind that if he gets on the ballot he will have a substantial amount of voters. A lot of my friends who just came of voting age saw this and were like "Hell yeah, let's vote for Kanye". That's Kanye's main demographic, and while he does cut a little into the conservative christian bloc, I'd say his main bloc is early Gen Z-ers/Late conservative Millennials. Granted, that isn't a massive group. There's no way he'll get the 5% he'd need, but it'd say he's gonna get the same amount of votes that third parties usually get, around 2-3%.

I mean, that's all anecdotal. While I don't doubt some (at best naive) people would vote for him over Trump or Biden I seriously doubt he'd make that much impact. When McMullin announced his candidacy in August 2016 he had political experience and campaign infrastructure and only barely managed to get on ballots in the first place, much less have an appreciable impact on the Electoral College.

Edited by Alistair
stuff about McMullin

8 hours ago, Alistair said:

"higher favorability among white voters and Republicans than non-white voters and Democrats."

That's interesting, because that was before he said all that weird shit about slavery and the 14th amendment. Meaning that he may eat more of Trump's base since...

I don't really think Kanye will do anything but become a McMullin type guy in Illinois and California, personally. I don't think a NeverTrump-Kanye voter is the swing demographic in the Midwest either. Im pretty sure working class whites are the swing demographic and I highly doubt yeezy resonates with them.

ehhhhhhhhh.

Doubt Kanye gets enough traction behind him to make a statistical difference anywhere that it matters. 

But I'd imagine he cuts into Trump's "Yes; putting a notorious entertainment industry narcissist with no experience in public service or working knowledge of government and his reality TV family in charge of the highest executive office in the land is a great idea" vote, as much as any demographic Biden appeals to.   

On 7/5/2020 at 12:10 AM, Glennstavos said:

It'll be a landmark election if he did come away with an EC vote at all, but I wager faithless electors will play a larger role overall. 

Supreme Court rules there's nothing legally wrong with states punishing and/or replacing a faithless elector to ensure that the vote is awarded to the right candidate, - which was frustratingly still an open debate.

...hmm

The initial conception of the electoral college was ensuring deliberations where electors would "weigh the inputs of a state's voters, but not be bound by them". With those protections being eroded, then sticks head out of window what purpose then is left for the electoral college?

Aaaaaand now we play the waiting game. Or we just return to this idea

So, double post and all, but good news. Supreme court ruled 6-3 that Trump's tax returns have to be handed over to NY district attorney.

the opinion, for anyone interested: https://t.co/RhRLnd47so

EDIT: actually, never mind, it's bad. Supreme Court decided that Congress can't subpoena the president in the same opinion apparently?

Edited by Excellen Browning

Oh goodie, it seems that you're exempt from the law if you happen to be the buddy of a corrupt president. How's that draining of the swamp going again? So the big question, can a honest president get around to reverting this after Trump is out of office? 

https://www.dw.com/en/donald-trump-commutes-roger-stones-prison-sentence/a-54135335

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh goodie, it seems that you're exempt from the law if you happen to be the buddy of a corrupt president. How's that draining of the swamp going again? So the big question, can a honest president get around to reverting this after Trump is out of office? 

https://www.dw.com/en/donald-trump-commutes-roger-stones-prison-sentence/a-54135335

Only by rounding up and punishing every complicit member of this administrations to the fullest extent of the law. And any president/administrative member after Trump must also be held accountable. I'm certain there's more, but those are the two at the top of my head.

Would Americans en masse (or at least the swing/battleground voters) be in the mood for the next administration *prays its Biden and not another four excruciating years from now* to deliver proper legal punishment to the most corrupt American government ever?

I believe it should be done because the damages dealt to this country's foundations are severe and that must be made clear and the perpetrators punished. But, for other Americans, would it come off as vindictive, or divergent from what they want- a return to a good normalcy and fixing all that has been broken?

Send the Justice Department after Trump's kleptocracy, but keep it firmly in the background. Focus on socio-economic reform (with a lesser dose of restoration of prior international relations- but Americans don't care about internat very much) and put that in the main spotlight.

The commutation itself is partly I'd say because of the Supreme Court victory in the precious short term, and an attempted distraction from COVID-19.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

We should keep our guard up and remember to vote. According to this article, polls are not too accurate because polls usually undercount people who are not frequent voters, and since a significant portion of Trump voters are not frequent voters, so they are underrepresented for poll numbers. That means Biden might not have as big of a lead as we thought.

40 minutes ago, XRay said:

We should keep our guard up and remember to vote. According to this article, polls are not too accurate because polls usually undercount people who are not frequent voters, and since a significant portion of Trump voters are not frequent voters, so they are underrepresented for poll numbers. That means Biden might not have as big of a lead as we thought.

Trump voters are mostly frequent voters. This is technically a point in Biden's favor. Don't let fear get in the way this time, and just go out and vote.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Depends on which poll you're watching. 538's accounts for that, I believe. (That's how it was so accurate for the 2016 election federally, but PA/MI genuinely surprised everyone).

Having that said, the lengths I'm seeing people are willing to go through to vote for a president Biden -- you'd be surprised.

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Trump voters are mostly frequent voters. This is technically a point in Biden's favor. Don't let fear get in the way this time, and just go out and vote.

Trump voters are more frequent which works out in Trump's favor, because it implies less will turn up for Biden than Trump relative to what they expect.

Anyway if anything what XRay said is congruent with your message.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Would Americans en masse (or at least the swing/battleground voters) be in the mood for the next administration *prays its Biden and not another four excruciating years from now* to deliver proper legal punishment to the most corrupt American government ever?

I think it's a fair question. I don't think the Nuremberg Trials went over well with everybody back in the 1940s. A lot of judges thought we were disregarding generations of legal precedent in our hate of the nazis. And with international criminal law being such a new field, the Allies couldn't help but seem like they were making things up as they went along. I'm not particularly hopeful we'll see a lot of justice in the future. The folks that caused the recession ten years ago were not held accountable, and a lot of Republican politicians probably already wrote their statements denying complicity in the Trump administration and professing their own victimhood of the lack of federal support during the outbreak. The blame will be placed squarely on the shoulders of one man's empire quietly going down for some tax-related offense. And fascists will once again play the waiting game - eagerly anticipating our "return to normalcy".

Naturally, I hope to be proven wrong. Maybe the silence democrats have on their planned "Trump trials" is to ensure that cronies' guard is still down when the subpoenas arrive

Edited by Glennstavos

• 2 weeks later...

Would be interesting to see how long that works out. Can't imagine it holding up for too long and I think they should just change requirements for being a cop and include looking into association with extremist groups/communities as part of the background check.

The only piece of interesting news as of late is that the orange turd tried floating the idea of delaying the election and has been shut down by Republicans in the senate. Oh and Herman Cain died of Covid.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque