General US Politics

Ansem

20 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I hope you're not repeating this bullshit when Muslims and blacks get on the chopping block. You always make good posts and points, but you need to stop making this one. None of us deserve this and this basically means that white people have completely failed us as a shield. It's not at all a badge of honor or deservedness.

/late

They deserve better as people among people. They deserve better than America.

But America as a nation among nations deserves everything thats coming to it if Trump gets a second term. (and if his ability to even get a first one is not treated as a national inflection point, prompting us to look inward at what ills us and correct course)

And by that I mean we deserve to be the once-mighty Empire in Decline.

Our once-centralizing influence and prestige diminished.

Surpassed in standard-of-living and desirability for persons looking to raise a family or do business by better governed countries; griping all the while about how the center of global power and world markets is shifting to East Asia.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

But America as a nation among nations deserves everything thats coming to it if Trump gets a second term. (and if his ability to even get a first one is not treated as a national inflection point, prompting us to look inward at what ills us and correct course)

Surpassed in standard-of-living and desirability for persons looking to raise a family or do business by better governed countries; griping all the while about how the center of global power and world markets is shifting to East Asia.

He literally told you to stop saying that because of what that means for minority communities. They could be killed by the thousands, and at that point sitting on your hands would just be an admission that we were defeated by fascism. Fight, don't gripe. It happened to your ethnicity, don't let it happen to his.

51 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

He literally told you to stop saying that because of what that means for minority communities. They could be killed by the thousands, and at that point sitting on your hands would just be an admission that we were defeated by fascism. Fight, don't gripe. It happened to your ethnicity, don't let it happen to his.

I don't disagree with what he said.

What I'm saying is that if that after witnessing the past 4 years of Family Separation and ICE camps + Police Violence and Civil Unrest  + Corporate Looting and Erosion of the Middle Class + Attacks on Journalism and Suppression of Science and Spread of Disinformation + Agitation of White Nationalist Militias and Vigilantes...

...if America is so far gone that it still can't rally the opposition to stop Trump from getting another 4 years... 

Then the best thing to stop the spread of fascism from further seeping back into the Free World might just be for America's star to fade.

And for better-governed nations with stronger commitments to carrying the torch of democracy onward for the next generation to rise to the forefront.     

Edited by Shoblongoo

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

We've got nothing better; at best we have to switch to another country that will continue to sneer down on us, without the familiarity provided to us by living here. At least American culture allows for us to fight back.

At the very least younger generations in the US are more progressive than the previous one; Europe doesn't have the same luxury right now.

Oof! Or should I say "Yay!"?

According to Forbes, Trump siphoned funds away from a September 11 program to help New York's first responders during that national crisis to help subsidize their medical bills. This asshole needs to be voted out of office. More stories like these are what will be needed to get people to see what a douche he is.

Edited by XRay

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

More stories like these are what will be needed to get people to see what a douche he is.

More stories can do what exactly at this point? He should have sunk in the polls to the very bottom of the universe (if such a thing exists) from everything that has come up already. Nothing really persuades.

Too many voters who aren't polarized into pro-Trump are low-information voters not tuned into the news 24/7 and don't realize this isn't "normal" political scandal, just as they don't realize Trump's dangerous damages to the Constitution and chance if reelected of preventing this country from ever having another free and fair election again. And even if you tell them of the serious threat, "America is special, nothing like that can ever happen to us" may be their naive and optimistic undoing. I get love of my country right or wrong, who doesn't feel that way? But no country is invincibly special, if there was such a thing, then instead of the United States vs. China, we'd be talking the Iroquois Confederacy vs. the Shang Dynasty (circa 1600-1046 BC).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

45 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

More stories can do what exactly at this point? He should have sunk in the polls to the very bottom of the universe (if such a thing exists) from everything that has come up already. Nothing really persuades.

To shore up support from moderate voters in swing states. Trump supporters are beyond persuasion, but it is the moderate voters in swing states that decides election, and they can be convinced and they also need constant reminders.

As someone that's not American, I feel like people in some countries in the world should be more concerned about the fact of how their livelihoods can be potentially affected depending on who the American public votes into the office.

That fact itself isn't scary/worrying until you realize some American voters are either really uneducated or they vote out of spite and not by who they think is actually the best for their country (mostly Trump supporters).

I guess I want to say that Americans should know that their vote isn't simply affecting the future of the US but also some countries of the world and that's a scary thought for some non americans because we have limited control on what the outcome will be. 

Trump like Roy Cohn (his mentor and hero) is a Teflon man, he is great at deflecting and blaming others and the massive right wing media machine puts forward whatever he says as the real truth and downplays anything bad he does.  There are a few scandals or stories that I think could possibly take down Trump's popularity with his base, but they are too outrageous even for him.  

I am doing what I can to spread the word at the sake of my real world reputation, and convince what a danger Trump is and how inept he is.  However if he wins again (assuming it is a fair election), I'm done.  Unless it is some bill or issue that directly impacts my survival or well being greatly I won't care.  The American people can get what they deserve.  When his supporters finally get it after America goes down the drain they won't get any sympathy from me.  

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Too many voters who aren't polarized into pro-Trump are low-information voters not tuned into the news 24/7 and don't realize this isn't "normal" political scandal, just as they don't realize Trump's dangerous damages to the Constitution and chance if reelected of preventing this country from ever having another free and fair election again. And even if you tell them of the serious threat, "America is special, nothing like that can ever happen to us" may be their naive and optimistic undoing. I get love of my country right or wrong, who doesn't feel that way? But no country is invincibly special, if there was such a thing, then instead of the United States vs. China, we'd be talking the Iroquois Confederacy vs. the Shang Dynasty (circa 1600-1046 BC).

you chip away at it 

2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

As someone that's not American, I feel like people in some countries in the world should be more concerned about the fact of how their livelihoods can be potentially affected depending on who the American public votes into the office.

That fact itself isn't scary/worrying until you realize some American voters are either really uneducated or they vote out of spite and not by who they think is actually the best for their country (mostly Trump supporters).

I guess I want to say that Americans should know that their vote isn't simply affecting the future of the US but also some countries of the world and that's a scary thought for some non americans because we have limited control on what the outcome will be. 

100%

I almost wish everyone in the world could vote for president. The concept of America is inherently globalist...

Edited by Lord Raven

A new whistleblower complaint alleges that a privately run ICE detention center has carried out mass hysterectomies . Now, as far as I know, this is one complaint against a specific center and perhaps not an agency-wide policy, but it's disgusting all the same. Mass hysterectomies amount to forced sterilization which makes ICE even more concentration camp-y than they previously were. 

5 hours ago, Alistair said:

A new whistleblower complaint alleges that a privately run ICE detention center has carried out mass hysterectomies . Now, as far as I know, this is one complaint against a specific center and perhaps not an agency-wide policy, but it's disgusting all the same. Mass hysterectomies amount to forced sterilization which makes ICE even more concentration camp-y than they previously were. 

Yup saw this, disgusting not like Trump would care.  There have also been thousands of reported rapes.  Children in cages, many raped, separated from their parents (often never found), now forced sterilizations (maybe so people raped won't give birth).  The places are filthy, and the kids are malnourished and barely fed.  Kids mostly have to care for other kids.  

Trump like Hitler, oh he isn't as far off as people would like to believe.  

I would say that elements of the Trump administration resemble Hitler if he were like a higher up bureaucrat. Trump isn't any better because he lets it go unchecked, though.

It is a distinction without a difference, but I'm not going to pretend Trump was as ideological as Hitler.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:15 AM, zuibangde said:

While it's true that some Americans do not understand this fact, it's also true that many do understand but don't care.

An aspect of Trump's agenda is "America first, screw everyone else." The qualities of human empathy and critical complexity with respect to politics are largely lost on these people. They are selfish toward their in-group, and they don't care to understand the nuances of both domestic and (especially) international politics. To a degree, it's not wholly their fault. The political machines of both parties are effective at polarizing and simplifying the information that's available to us. Of course, the Republican approach is far more blatantly flawed, false, ignorant, etc. than team blue's is.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:28 AM, Lewyn said:

Trump like Roy Cohn (his mentor and hero) is a Teflon man, he is great at deflecting and blaming others and the massive right wing media machine puts forward whatever he says as the real truth and downplays anything bad he does.  There are a few scandals or stories that I think could possibly take down Trump's popularity with his base, but they are too outrageous even for him.  

I am doing what I can to spread the word at the sake of my real world reputation, and convince what a danger Trump is and how inept he is.  However if he wins again (assuming it is a fair election), I'm done.  Unless it is some bill or issue that directly impacts my survival or well being greatly I won't care.  The American people can get what they deserve.  When his supporters finally get it after America goes down the drain they won't get any sympathy from me.  

He said it himself: he could walk out to 5th Ave NYC and shoot someone, and he wouldn't really lose any supporters. What much of the world dislikes about Trump - it's those very same qualities that his supporters adore. It results in a one-way conversation where scandals and transgressions continually stagger and dismay non-supporters, while those same events (sometimes with 'alternative' facts) embolden the supporters.

Hard to blame you for ignoring it all though. I want to sometimes myself. But two facts help with endurance: 1) the presidency is time-limited, and hopefully come late January he'll be out. 2) most Americans are not cool with this. Hillary won the popular vote, and Trump's approval rating has hovered in the low 40%s, while disapproval has been in the low-to-mid 50%s. So, it's unfair to the majority to relent (I mean this more as a US citizen. As a foreign observer, I don't think it's your responsibility anyway, though your understanding of it all is prudent).

On 9/9/2020 at 7:38 PM, Lewyn said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html

This is the various audio clips released by Bob Woodward of Trump mostly concerning the virus.  Many many lives were lost that didn't need to be.  What Trump says here is different than his public persona, this is the real Trump.

Semi-related, some unsurprising quotes in here from Cohen's book: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/06/michael-cohen-book-disloyal-alleges-trump-racist-outbursts-stormy-daniels-russia

Biden only has to marginally outperform Hillary by a few thousand votes in a few states to secure the win:

But you can never completely discount the Dem's uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

119667864_1767007330113665_3019392226778528592_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=CcWjp1saS_QAX8dBEf6&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=8df8ca4a2bc0231ee97ddd9b9decf72f&oe=5F88A6BD

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 9/15/2020 at 6:31 PM, Aegius_NaTL said:

He said it himself: he could walk out to 5th Ave NYC and shoot someone, and he wouldn't really lose any supporters. What much of the world dislikes about Trump - it's those very same qualities that his supporters adore. It results in a one-way conversation where scandals and transgressions continually stagger and dismay non-supporters, while those same events (sometimes with 'alternative' facts) embolden the supporters.

Hard to blame you for ignoring it all though. I want to sometimes myself. But two facts help with endurance: 1) the presidency is time-limited, and hopefully come late January he'll be out. 2) most Americans are not cool with this. Hillary won the popular vote, and Trump's approval rating has hovered in the low 40%s, while disapproval has been in the low-to-mid 50%s. So, it's unfair to the majority to relent (I mean this more as a US citizen. As a foreign observer, I don't think it's your responsibility anyway, though your understanding of it all is prudent).

Semi-related, some unsurprising quotes in here from Cohen's book: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/06/michael-cohen-book-disloyal-alleges-trump-racist-outbursts-stormy-daniels-russia

The presidency is time limited, but if he wins that is another 4 years something that this country won't survive.  Infact all the damage he's done during his first term, much of it is irreversible and it is going to be a massive challenge for Biden.  Yeah I read that about Cohen, it's really sad but with any other recent President we would be shocked and appalled it would seem unbelievable.  With Trump nothing seems too outrageous or offensive.  

16 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

He's an idiot, doesn't matter either his base will ignore this or they will agree with it.  

By the way Olivia Troye, Ex-Pence aide who was on Covid task force and lifelong Republican is voting Biden cause Trump's handling of virus.  Blatant disregard of human life.  Also Chad Wolf just ignored the House subpoena.  

I urge Biden if he wins, to ignore all subpoenas of anyone from his administration and block all documents if requested by Republicans.  When they get a taste of their own medicine maybe they'll stop trying to pull this shit.  Please Democrats stop being pushovers.  Pushovers get bullied.  Pushovers are weak.  Pushovers get taken advantage of.  

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Next Monday, McConnell will have a bag of flour approved for the job. The courts are doomed. And this could win Trump a contested election in the end.

Nope!  Remember Mitch said that he wouldn't approve a justice during an election year, the people should get to decide?  What a fucking hypocrite.

It doesn't just mean when Trump challenges every state result and kicks it up to the Supreme court he uses it to steal the election, he also is never going to pay for his damn crimes cause he always appeals all the way to the Supreme Court again and again.

Can the Dems force a government shutdown?  Any extreme measure they can take?  Everything has to be on the table at this point or we are all fucked.