General US Politics

Ansem

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Trump dying is about the worst outcome there is. It gives his deranged cult an out. They will be able to claim that Trump would have done great things if he had not tragically died. And due to the death being very tragic the general public might focus more on that then the many terrible things Trump said and did. His flaws will be minimized and the focus will be on his untimely death. Trump will be a martyr to his base, someone who could have made everything great if he hadn't died too soon. This will only make his base more likely to support the next demagogue.

Not to mention it isn't hoax COVID- it's POISON! The Left is trying to/did assassinate him! -Said the far-right conspiracy theorists. Oh joy...

World leaders and others in the past have met fluke ends all of a sudden or had health instances that left them ineffective and possibly insane afterwards (Henry VIII's head trauma, Ivan the Terrible's leap into total madness around the death of his wife). But I'm going to assume he is going to get through like Bolsonaro, which may indeed be for the best.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The COVID news is worrying considering the suspected contraction took place before the debate on Tuesday, where neither candidate nor the moderator had masks. Biden is getting a COVID test this morning, so let's hope for the best. That said, both of them must have the best health care around so advanced age or not their survival odds are looking good.

That said, it's punched a big hole in Trump's coronavirus narrative and it's practically karmic.

19 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

What's this supposed to be about? I tried opening that tweet several times but I can't see anything.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Thank goodness.

I think Trump testing positive and Biden testing negative is louder than any speaker or words spoken during the debate.

Speaking of, I wouldn't mind hearing about Biden's dealer for "the biggest masks I've ever seen". Pence seems clear as of this morning. Apparently their protocol includes testing every damned day with results within the hour. Boy if that doesn't put things in perspective. When my brother got tested his results took over 14 days

If Pence was also quarantining after testing positive, I wonder how well they could hide that. Dude has no administrative presence expected of him. And he can probably decline any assignment that involves being in public for a week or two at most. Anything to prevent Pelosi from enfranchising voters

Edited by Glennstavos

There is a overt politicization of all things which I think we're all displeased with, to some extent. Perhaps we are just frustrated with the resilience of our foes, but even those of us who like political discussions must concede that the current American political state is unhealthy, it is rigid where it should change, forcing its chaos into the daily lives of the citizens.

This can be traced to the democratic election of the President. Uniquely among American official, the president is a truly national figure- even federal congressmen are specific to their home states. This is problematic because it makes the President a political figure that everyone is a constituent of. Everyone in the country, no matter where they live, can argue about the president and why they will or won't vote for him.

This firstly inclines people to favor the federal over the state governments, which is problematic as it denies more localized communities the ability to create legislation more suited to their needs and tastes, as well as dangerously centralizes power in fewer hands. Secondly, it produces a greater amount of unproductive political discourse between parties with little common ground, who as a result are not as inclined to sympathize with each other. This is what causes our current state of unrest and toxicity.

Since everyone forms an increasingly strong opinion of the president, he becomes an object of loyalty or rebellion. Because the president runs with a political party, people will begin to defend or discredit his party as an extension of their opinion on him. Thus the uniting figure of the president, by his being nationally elected, has actually divided Americans further into party supertribes than the old fashioned loyalty to the state level government would have.

To resolve this problem, I propose we replace the office of the president with a hereditary monarchy.

21 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

To resolve this problem, I propose we replace the office of the president with a hereditary monarchy.

Or you know--just eliminate the electoral college and apportion legislative representation based on population 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Oh yeah, can't say I know what happened to him either.

Well, I think he simply moved to alternatehistory.net, as I've seen him making posts there some time after he made his last here.

Anyway... well, that's what happens when leaders change. The direction will wildly differ since no successor is guaranteed to keep the course its predecessor took in. Even in a monarchy the heir won't follow 100%... but it's clear the issue will be bigger when the periods of governance are shorter and the successor has less ties to their predecessor.

Democracy is a game that works best when everyone plays nice... we've yet to reach that point. But we've certainly made strides in it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 7/22/2015 at 1:03 PM, blah the Prussian said:

Seriously? Trump sounds like a guy who alternate histories will be written about in 2050.

On 7/24/2015 at 2:20 PM, blah the Prussian said:

Whatever happens, I'm casting my vote for the Monarchist Party.XD

In all seriousness, I hope Trump wins the Republican nomination. He's completely unelectable.

Remember 2015?

To be fair, that's what many thought. That Trump would be an easy opponent to beat.

Also, on the subject, ngl, I consider myself a monarchist sympathizer, but ultimately what I believe most in is in a continuous government that is capable and should work for the betterment of the country and the people they serve. It's just that in an hereditary system with no imposed limit on time of governance it's easier to get that over a system where leaders from all over the place in the ideology spectrum come and go.

But anyway...

Looks like Trump is being moved to a hospital now.

14 minutes ago, Dai said:

How do you go from mild symptoms And feeling fine to the hospital within a matter of hours?

Isn't he in a high risk group? With his age, obesity, and stuff? Likely a recipe of quick complication.

Yikes. If this goes particularly poorly you guys might end up with a Pence presidency. 

So far the various Democrat factions and some Republicans seem united not so much behind Biden, but instead united behind their mutual hatred of Donald Trump. What happens to that when Trump is gone?

And Trump's uh...tragic death would massively energize his supporters, both the deranged cultist and Republican loyalist while the moderate Republicans might settle with the (seemingly) less radical Pence over Biden. 

Pence is not at all a moderate but he has the advantage of Trump being so radical and so cartoony that it distracts from all of Pence extreme positions which might come off as moderate in comparison. With Trump's death things might get framed as a return to normalcy with a normal Democrat facing a ''normal'' Republican which can suck away any moderate Republican that supported Biden. 

• His position
  • His age
  • His health/weight

Those are the three big factors for why he's going to the hospital.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Yikes. If this goes particularly poorly you guys might end up with a Pence presidency. 

So far the various Democrat factions and some Republicans seem united not so much behind Biden, but instead united behind their mutual hatred of Donald Trump. What happens to that when Trump is gone?

And Trump's uh...tragic death would massively energize his supporters, both the deranged cultist and Republican loyalist while the moderate Republicans might settle with the (seemingly) less radical Pence over Biden. 

Pence is not at all a moderate but he has the advantage of Trump being so radical and so cartoony that it distracts from all of Pence extreme positions which might come off as moderate in comparison. With Trump's death things might get framed as a return to normalcy with a normal Democrat facing a ''normal'' Republican which can suck away any moderate Republican that supported Biden. 

The flipside is Pence doesn't have the cult of personality that Donald has. Pence would need a personality for that to happen.

Just like there are people who are voting for Biden purely because he's not Trump, there are people(Probably even more people) voting for Trump purely because he's Trump.

Edited by Slumber

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The flipside is Pence doesn't have the cult of personality that Donald has. Pence would need a personality for that to happen.

Just like there are people who are voting for Biden purely because he's not Trump, there are people(Probably even more people) voting for Trump purely because he's Trump.

I think that's a fair interpretation. Trump's cult will never fully rally behind Pence to the extend they did to Trump. But they also don't need to. If Trump dies the election would be held in the immediate aftermath of Trump's death. With emotions that high they might think voting for Pence and continuing the Trump administration in some form is the best display of loyalty they can give. And in Trump's absence Pence would be the middle finger to the establishment, if only because he's Trump's vice president and so far has always been loyal to Trump. 

They don't need to support Pence for long. One election held in the direct aftermath of Trump's death would be enough. 

This whole thing makes Herman Cain's death so much sadder. Not that I think Cain's death was a tragedy in the sense that he was some great man who left an impact on the world, but this man supported Trump, DIED from Corona, which he got campaigning for Trump, and everyone just forgot. None of his peers cared to remember that he died, and his death wasn't a big enough deal for them to consider the virus dangerous.

Now Trump has it, and NOW republicans care.

His death was pointless, preventable, and the people he supported just forgot.

Edited by Slumber

Simply put, Cain's demise didn't mean much because he wasn't Trump. No one among that cabal would give two cross-eyed shits to anyone who isn't registering in the pecking order of things.

I still look at the Orange Turd with a mixture of pity and contempt, and root for his destruction.