General US Politics

Ansem

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Would sound good, but even if turnout is record-shattering high, always prepare for the possibility that it might not matter.

They're doing everything possible to undermine the results. Everything.

Well we already know that if he loses: he's going to pull a #14 move. Declare the election invalid. And ask the Supreme Court to overturn the vote + name him the winner. 

He basically told us as much in the last debate.

TqOKGa4.jpeg

The only real question as to whether or not he gets away with that is Are there five (5) votes on the Supreme Court to overturn a presidential election?

And even with 3 Trump justices on the bench I'd have to think the answer is:  [NO]. Absent genuine issues of material fact as to why the election results should be deemed fraudulent or inaccurate, the Court will deign to intervene 

If the results are that lopsided and the vote is that overwhelmingly in favor of Biden, I'd be surprised if there's even one (1) vote  for Trump's position tbh. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

In Trump's family, there is the strange notion that being sick is seen as weakness, or a moral failing of some kind. I believe that he forced the doctors that were treating him to release him prematurely instead of remaining in care for longer.

Trump may do well to remember that his grandfather passed from Spanish Flu back in 1918. "Good genes" don't prevent you from sickness that doesn't discriminate.

iirc Fred Sr. was deep into Alzheimer's and still refused to retire, so they kept an office open for him and gave him blank papers to sign and made sure his phone could only call his secretary. I think Trump is similarly in denial about his condition.

11 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

iirc Fred Sr. was deep into Alzheimer's and still refused to retire, so they kept an office open for him and gave him blank papers to sign and made sure his phone could only call his secretary. I think Trump is similarly in denial about his condition.

And then one day his son came in and scammed his siblings out of the inheritance.

45 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

It was 6-3 on the Court in favor of expanding gay rights before RBG died and its still 5-4 in favor even with Trump putting another traditionalist Catholic darling of the religious right in her seat.

Gay marriage is safe for now.

Abortion and women's rights being on the chopping block is the more immediate problem.   

They've got the numbers to start dissembling Roe v. Wade  and upholding abortion bans now, and they've been waiting 50 years to make the Court conservative enough to get there.  

They gonna do it. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

10 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

It was 6-3 on the Court in favor of expanding gay rights before RBG died and its still 5-4 in favor even with Trump putting another traditionalist Catholic darling of the religious right in her seat.

Gay marriage is safe for now.

Abortion and women's rights being on the chopping block is the more immediate problem.   

They've got the numbers to start dissembling Roe v. Wade  and upholding abortion bans now, and they've been waiting 50 years to make the Court conservative enough to get there.  

They gonna do it. 

Its kinda baffling that America has a system where a law can still retroactively be deemed unconstitutional and overturned despite it already being in effect for decades. It seems like an arrangement that's ripe for partisan abuse. 

Where do you see that 5 justice majority? Roberts, Alito and Thomas dissented in Obergefell, and two of them definitely don't care about stare decisis. We have a good idea of where Kavanaugh and Barrett stand on the issue. Which leaves Gorsuch as a questionmark, but from where I'm standing there's 4 justices who will definitely overturn Obergefell, and 2 who can be persuaded.

^ - To speak nothing about decades of jurisprudence, too. How that can be turned on its head and just be declared unconstitutional one day is just staggering.

2 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

^ - To speak nothing about decades of jurisprudence, too. How that can be turned on its head and just be declared unconstitutional one day is just staggering.

On the other hand Dred Scot being overturned for being a steaming pile of shit is a good thing

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Well here's some good news.

Between the NYT expose on his taxes, 90 uninterrupted minutes of acting like a crackhead at the first debate, and the COVID outbreak running through Trump's inner circle while they continue to downplay it:  the bottoms falling out from Trump's poll numbers in the last leg of the race.

Biden's expanding his lead in Pennsylvania, Michigan,  and Wisconsin.

He's pulling ahead in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina.

And all the new polls coming out now after Trump's hospitalization have Biden up nationally somewhere in the range of +8% to +16%  (i.e. his biggest lead of the race so far, and landslide numbers if that holds up)
____

Fingers crossed thats how it is, and voters are done with this clown. 

Biden's also gaining ground in Texas. Trump's in trouble, but these polling numbers should always be taken with some hefty grains of salt. I hope to God he gets flattened in a month, though. Nothing would hurt him more than knowing that he lost Texas, which has been a republican stronghold(Even if it was a very purple stronghold) since Reagan.

If the last time I ever have to see Trump is him crying, I'll die happy.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Excellen Browning said:

Where do you see that 5 justice majority? Roberts, Alito and Thomas dissented in Obergefell, and two of them definitely don't care about stare decisis. We have a good idea of where Kavanaugh and Barrett stand on the issue. Which leaves Gorsuch as a questionmark, but from where I'm standing there's 4 justices who will definitely overturn Obergefell, and 2 who can be persuaded.

Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia, 590 U.S. (US 2020)

That was the opinion back in July that ruled LGBT status is protected under federal antidiscrimination law, and that Title VII protects employees in all 50 states from hostile work environment and termination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

It was a 6-to-3 opinion with only Alito, Thomas, and Kavanaugh dissenting. (i.e. Gorsuch was in the majority)

I don't see Gorsuch being vote #5 to overturn Gay Marriage after joining the majority opinion in Bostock.

Edited by Shoblongoo

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Biden's also gaining ground in Texas. Trump's in trouble, but these polling numbers should always be taken with some hefty grains of salt. I hope to God he gets flattened in a month, though. Nothing would hurt him more than knowing that he lost Texas, which has been a republican stronghold(Even if it was a very purple stronghold) since Reagan.

If the last time I ever have to see Trump is him crying, I'll die happy.

He’s kind of shot himself in the foot just earlier as well. He’s cancelling stimulus talks until after “he wins” the election. This, naturally, caused him a great deal of backlash, and even his beloved stock market dropped like a stone immediately after. It’s been reported we need stimulus badly, but he’s like, “nah”. It’s like if Scrooge woke up having learned nothing and only became an even bigger bitch.

39 minutes ago, Dai said:

He’s kind of shot himself in the foot just earlier as well. He’s cancelling stimulus talks until after “he wins” the election. This, naturally, caused him a great deal of backlash, and even his beloved stock market dropped like a stone immediately after. It’s been reported we need stimulus badly, but he’s like, “nah”. It’s like if Scrooge woke up having learned nothing and only became an even bigger bitch.

His position on this is so transparent.

He's basically saying "If I win, you'll get another stimulus check. If I lose, you'll get no stimulus check from me and you'll have to wait until Biden is in office."

He's such a petty piece of shit.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

His position on this is so transparent.

He's basically saying "If I win, you'll get another stimulus check. If I lose, you'll get no stimulus check from me and you'll have to wait until Biden is in office."

He's such a petty piece of shit.

He’s probably attempting a scorched earth sort of plan. Leave us unable to use any resources, because there won’t be any.

Edit: You know what? It’s literally quid quo pro. He was impeached over this already.

Edited by Dai

That is pretty fucking dumb move on Trump's part. In this case, the choice is obvious if you want a stimulus check. Vote Biden and bring a Blue Wave to the Senate to get your stimulus checks. Even if you vote Trump, you are not necessarily getting a stimulus check due to Republicans in the Senate possibly vetoing it or reducing it to an insignificant fraction of the original stimulus check.

Vote Democrats for stimulus checks.

Unless there's something that I'm missing, I don't really see the point in overturning a ruling that opens up more options for Americans in their love pursuits or what have you. It's a choice that doesn't really affect anybody besides the ones getting married and whatever family that's involved. It wouldn't affect those that are already hitched, would it?

9 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

Unless there's something that I'm missing, I don't really see the point in overturning a ruling that opens up more options for Americans in their love pursuits or what have you. It's a choice that doesn't really affect anybody besides the ones getting married and whatever family that's involved. It wouldn't affect those that are already hitched, would it?

Religious fundamentalism.

A lot of conservatives don't just want to be good Christians, they straight up want America to be a Christian theocracy. Can't have that(In their eyes. There are definitely gay-friendly Christian denominations) if the gays are given the same rights.

It's the same reason America's been waffling on abortion for 50 years.

Edited by Slumber

I love that he’s trying to distract from the stimulus with another alleged story about Hillary’s e-mails, and the “Russian collusion hoax” that allegedly Obama and Biden knew about that was concocted to cover for Hillary’s e-mails. How many times have we heard this song and dance, now?

10 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia, 590 U.S. (US 2020)

That was the opinion back in July that ruled LGBT status is protected under federal antidiscrimination law, and that Title VII protects employees in all 50 states from hostile work environment and termination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

It was a 6-to-3 opinion with only Alito, Thomas, and Kavanaugh dissenting. (i.e. Gorsuch was in the majority)

I don't see Gorsuch being vote #5 to overturn Gay Marriage after joining the majority opinion in Bostock.

Gorsuch also joined the majority in Masterpiece Cakeshop v Colorado

8 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Gorsuch also joined the majority in Masterpiece Cakeshop v Colorado

so what that tells you is that at least on the gay rights cases:  hes a jurist looking at the novel issues in each case and trying to reach the correct outcome under the law.

Not an ideologue predetermining his ruling on how he personally feels about homosexuality and gay rights. 

And there is btw solid legal theory behind why he could come down one way on the issue of employee's rights to be free from disparate treatment on the basis of sexual orientation by employers and prospective employers but another way on the issue of whether or not private businesses can refuse service on the basis of same.  (i.e. the law recognizes regulation of fair labor practices and employment protection as a more compelling interest of public policy then whether or not you have to drive to another bakery to find a cake) 

...in any event...

The fact that he's obviously  not a rigid ideologue on the issue suggests he's probably a stare decisis guy if the marriage issue comes before The Court again.

And that he's not gonna be the swing vote to overturn settled law.   

Edited by Shoblongoo