General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it was normally your job to get the president to stop tweeting, would you walk in there and grab that phone from his infected hands?

For the president I bet it's like those early scenes of Home Alone. "I'm putting coffee creamer in my cereal bowl this morning. Guys? Ivanka I'm raiding your drawers again. You better come and stop meeee"

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Even if it was normally your job to get the president to stop tweeting, would you walk in there and grab that phone from his infected hands?

For the president I bet it's like those early scenes of Home Alone. "I'm putting coffee creamer in my cereal bowl this morning. Guys? Ivanka I'm raiding your drawers again. You better come and stop meeee"

Dudeā€™s getting so desperate and delusional that heā€™s gone and told people to get their mail-in ballots, and heā€™s retweeting a random userā€™s conspiracy junk.

Edit: Pence is kinda frigginā€™ obnoxious.

Edited by Dai

This is it guys. The news we've all been waiting for.

I didn't even watch the debate at all (not even a few minutes, I didn't know it was going on), but I hope this video sums up how it went.Ā 

Edited by indigoasis

Pence was sunk the moment he brought up Swine Flu. There was nothing in that that could have helped him or the current administration. Even if you consider the response to it a failure, the comparison is fruitless.

Edit: I will say that I get what his point was, and that yes, it was fortunate that it wasn't as deadly as it was given the 60+ million cases over the course of the year, but, still...what really was there to gain? All he succeeded at was reminding everyone that it existed, and that we didn't have it as bad as we do now in spite of the mass difference in case numbers. It's just baffling.

Double Edit: TheĀ next presidential debate will be held as a virtual town meeting. Trump is declining to participate saying that he ā€œwonā€™t waste [his] time.ā€ Probably doesnā€™t want anyone to have the power to mute him.

Edited by Dai

The dude literally tested positive, why else would they be doing it virtually?Ā I don't get what the play is here. If he thinkĀ that'sĀ a waste of time, what would that make the last debate? Anyway,Ā  my cynicism aside, I can understand the concern of being muted, but it'sĀ pretty disrespectful for him to not attend. He can't have the chance to """win""" the debate if he doesn't show up (like that one quote about missing 100% of the shots you don't take or whatever).

Also, while talking over everyone else isĀ scummy, I guess it's an effective enough tactic. You prevent your opponent from giving their points, making their arguments seem weaker in that regard (even if we generally know what their stances are on things regardless). At the same time, it's akin to playing chess without taking turns; maybe it works, but you're a jerk for doing it, and you're not guaranteed to win anyway.

Being muted is not a concern for anyone but Trump, who just wants to dominate with zero substance.

He's really just a fucking coward. There's no chess moves involved. He knows he was a shitter in the first debate, he knows he doesn't know how to talk to fucking constituents in a town hall anywhere close to how Biden does, and he knows that the deck is stacked against him -- not because he's a Republican or because he'sĀ Trump --Ā but because he is one of the shittiest and most incompetent human beings on the planet,Ā and the debates try to go for decency with some modicum of substance. He lacks both entirely.

Whoops, somebody published a draft of the story for Pence testing positive for COVID, including details only broken today. And it's a confusing development because Deadline is only apologizing for publishing the story, not for publishing misinformation.Ā Listen I completely buy that writers are tasked with writing and re-writing drafts of potential stories just in case they break and you need an article on short notice, but this feels oddly prescient. I'm not a journalist, but I have experience in professional, non-fiction writing. I can't imagine being granted "the keys" to publish my own material before editors give me the go ahead. My only job is to write and send in drafts. Everything gets checked and rechecked before it's ever published. Maybe the world of news just has hair triggers.Ā 

And if the story ends up being true, that Pence had tested positive for coronavirus and fought that hard not to have plexiglass between him and Harris at the debate? Whoa. That compiled against the fact that there's conflicting stories about when the president began showing symptoms and finally tested positive is starting to imply last night was the second attempt at infecting the opposition. I don't know the appropriate way to respond to such allegations.

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Whoops, somebody published a draft of the story for Pence testing positive for COVID, including details only broken today. And it's a confusing development because Deadline is only apologizing for publishing the story, not for publishing misinformation.Ā Listen I completely buy that writers are tasked with writing and re-writing drafts of potential stories just in case they break and you need an article on short notice, but this feels oddly prescient. I'm not a journalist, but I have experience in professional, non-fiction writing. I can't imagine being granted "the keys" to publish my own material before editors give me the go ahead. My only job is to write and send in drafts. Everything gets checked and rechecked before it's ever published. Maybe the world of news just has hair triggers.Ā 

And if the story ends up being true, that Pence had tested positive for coronavirus and fought that hard not to have plexiglass between him and Harris at the debate? Whoa. That compiled against the fact that there's conflicting stories about when the president began showing symptoms and finally tested positive is starting to imply last night was the second attempt at infecting the opposition. I don't know the appropriate way to respond to such allegations.

Well, PenceĀ did cancel a trip to Indiana, and tomorrow, Pelosi is going to be discussing or doing something in regards to the 25th Amendment. Honestly, at this point, it gets difficult to keep up with events. They happen so fast.

I'm starting to believe, at least a little. Of course it's likely that the election numbers will tighten going into the week before the election and Don did just have a pretty bad week so I'm not really surprised that the numbers are especially not in his favor right now, but it's somewhat reassuring to see that there is a steady difference less than a month before the election.

Of course I'm never going toĀ underestimate the possibility of voters actually being apathetic on the day or, after Trump has been hinting at it heavily, straight up vote suppression, so I won't make any predictions. But Trump seems to have lost the majority of the instincts he actually had when criticising Hillary from an anti-establishment point of view (I suppose being in the white house for 4 years kind of does that) and is just making stupid campaign decisions like saying you won't pursue another stimulus bill and then doing a 180 on it. It seems like the election is mostly going to be a referendum on coronavirus though.

Then again, Dubya got elected for the second time and that's when I lost all hope.

Edited by Tryhard

There's more coming too. Trump is putting campaign funds out of swing states and into fucking DC, which went 98% for Clinton (and neighboring areas, including my parents county, being around 90-95%).

You're talking about voter apathy, 8 million people had voted as of last Friday. That number was 500k four years ago.

Mobilization is up. 6.7% of the 2016 electorate has already voted, and something like a factor of 20 difference at equal points.

McConnell fears the tidal wave. Lindsay Grahams seat is in trouble. Texas is purple. Biden's lead has been massive and steady. I have hope. This is seeming like the most inspiring election of my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

Then again, Dubya got elected for the second time and that's when I lost all hope.

That demographic has dwindled. Especially since the war on terror was a major issue at the time, even though it was gradually becoming clearer the Iraq War was bullshit. Given the atmosphere of the country at the time, stability was valued much more than what Kerry offered (Kerry having a history of pissing off military vets for having a purple heart and being anti-war). My family voted for Kerry and my dad was involved with a few of the locals in MD to complain about voting in Ohio to the point where our news caught up on it, though... But it was really clear from the outset it was gonna be Bush.

I did see an interesting source showing that there was increased participation in the Democrat primary for most states that released numbers.

Which should bode well considering that when Democrats are en masse enthusiastic to vote, they will always beat Republicans just due to sheer numbers. I know primaries probably shouldn't be taken as representative of the final election but that was the kind of numbers that lead to the 2008 blowout.

If Biden does win to the point where Trump can't even contest a 'rigged election' (he will try regardless, but winning by an impressive margin will certainly make it harder for him to make that case), then IĀ don't mean for it to sound petty (even though it totally is), but I will take great pleasure in seeing how the Trump 2020 folks will react. Especially if that comes along with a Democrat House and potentially Senate as well. It is kind of embarassing to me how gung-ho they are on the internet when they just saw their political opponents lose by making pre-mature predictions about who would win the 2016 election and think that this could never possibly happen to Trump.

(Senate does seem a little tougher, but actually looks like the Democrats are at least slightly favoured to win according to 538)

That all said, these sort of things can change in less than a week, so it is always going to tighten up going very close to the election.

Edited by Tryhard

Trump backing out the virtual debate shows he is...well what he likes to grab women by.Ā  He is saying he is cured (even though he hasn't tested negative yet) and is going to do rallies, multiple ones this week.Ā  Can he be tried for war crimes, well this isn't war, but what about knowing spreading deadly disease?Ā Ā 

Also multiple GOP senators exposed at Rose garden or in contact with people that went to it are refusing to be tested for Covid so they can be there for the Amy SC hearing.Ā  Like WTF is this?Ā  What pieces of fucking trash all of them.Ā Ā 

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Also multiple GOP senators exposed at Rose garden or in contact with people that went to it are refusing to be tested for Covid so they can be there for the Amy SC hearing.Ā  Like WTF is this?Ā  What pieces of fucking trash all of them.Ā Ā 

I am surprised they are not worried about dying since a lot of them are old, although I guess being wealthy enough to afford good healthcare makes COVID not very scary.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I am surprised they are not worried about dying since a lot of them are old, although I guess being wealthy enough to afford good healthcare makes COVID not very scary.

Yes and they are trying to take away healthcare from 20 million Americans and make it much worse for millions more than that.Ā  If Trump was poor he would be dead or hospitalized and immobilized, without the money to pay for the stay.Ā  Many of his supporters are old and poor and overweight and he doesn't fucking care, they won't have the healthcare he has and some might not even have it at all...and they'll die.Ā  Many will get serious symptoms.Ā Ā 

I think all Trump's enablers, need to be criminally punished not just ousted from office.Ā  They don't deserve to go back to their comfortably lives of yachts and mansions after their disgusting disregard of human life and support of open corruption.Ā Ā 

20 hours ago, Lord Raven said:
Trump is putting campaign funds out of swing states and into fucking DC

I dunno, a republican pouring money into literally the bluest part of the country sounds like a good idea to me.

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

I dunno, a republican pouring money into literally the bluest part of the country sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm all for it. It gives me lots of hope to see him turn that 98% into a 95%.

Here's a fun little event that seems to have slipped underneath the radar.

Lies.png

Had to screenshot it, because I can't link to it, apparently. I decided to take a look at some of the replies to it. His supporters, naturally, are upset that they're allegedly suppressing Trump's freedom of speech, in spite of obvious reasons as to why this tweet is absolute bonkers. I sincerely hope that the number of people that vote against Donnie and the Republicans this year VASTLY outnumber the type of idiots that believe this man's words.

Another concern I have is that anyone that's STILL undecided changing their minds after the whole "court-packing" debacle that's going on, since Biden and Harris have declined to confirm whether or not they will. Nevermind that Trump still hasn't allegedly agreed to a peaceful transition should he lose, but, you know. COURT-PACKING. OBAMAGATE. HERĀ EMAILS.

17 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Remind me how we elected an idiot into office, again?

We gave a platform to racists and marketed his campaign for free via the news. Oh and our "democratic" elections disproportionatelyĀ grant power to land masses over people.

3 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Remind me how we elected an idiot into office, again?

Tribalism, meaning a lot of people will vote their party no matter what.Ā  Ted Bundy was a Republican too and I'm sure many people would still vote for him.Ā  Sure a serial killer and rapist is bad, but not nearly as bad as a Democrat!Ā  Bundy will preserve America and I'm sure the party will keep his serial killing in check!Ā  4 years later, after he's continued his murdering ways.Ā  Bundy will preserve America, and HE'S BETTER THAN A DEMOCRAT! There won't be an America if they take over!

Oh yeah let's not forget no checks on media, the downfall of the Fairness Doctrine.Ā  I can say Martians secretly control the US government and can legally get away with it.Ā  It's ridiculous.Ā Ā 

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

We gave a platform to racists and marketed his campaign for free via the news. Oh and our "democratic" elections disproportionatelyĀ grant power to land masses over people.

It's VERY important that Wyoming votes count forĀ 3x more than California and New York.