General US Politics

Ansem

On 10/11/2020 at 12:08 AM, Tryhard said:

when Democrats are en masse enthusiastic to vote, they will always beat Republicans just due to sheer numbers.

That is what Republicans have known through the years. Just ask Paul Weyrich, who has since joined co-founder of The Moral Majority Jerry Falwell in an ignominous afterlife. He is well aware of Republicans' clout going down as polling numbers goes up.

Side note: Funny that the group he founded with Falwell is called The Moral Majority when nothing they had to say through the years is very moral (see Falwell blaming "the pagans, the gays and lesbians, the ACLU, People for the American Way," to name a few for 9/11), nor do they appear to have a majority of any sort.

Edited by Karimlan

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crysta said:

funny how the party that screams the loudest about voter fraud seems to do like 99% of the reported election fraud hmm

It's called projection. Conservatives do this a lot. They have to accuse their opponent of whatever they do because they have to claim the other side did it first to be justified in doing it. Thankfully, it seems far fewer people are buying it by this point.

1 hour ago, Crysta said:

funny how the party that screams the loudest about voter fraud seems to do like 99% of the reported election fraud hmm

39 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

It's called projection. Conservatives do this a lot. They have to accuse their opponent of whatever they do because they have to claim the other side did it first to be justified in doing it. Thankfully, it seems far fewer people are buying it by this point.

In addition, it gives them the excuse to declare the election fraudulent, should it look like they won't win, so they can send the case to the Supreme Court.

The same Court they're also pouring all their effort to secure majority, so they can rule it out in their favor.

27 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

Mail-in ballots seem fairly easy to tamper with.

They're not, actually.

https://theconversation.com/research-on-voting-by-mail-says-its-safe-from-fraud-and-disease-141847

While there are cases, it's a very very small percentage. The main reason a lot of noise is made about it is because the Republicans are trying to discourage/invalidate mail in voting, since it helps in their excuse to invalidate the election should they need to, and because more Democrats vote by mail than Republicans, more so in this time of pandemic, so tampering with the system can mean less votes for their opposition. Among other reasons.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They're not, actually.

https://theconversation.com/research-on-voting-by-mail-says-its-safe-from-fraud-and-disease-141847

While there are cases, it's a very very small percentage. The main reason a lot of noise is made about it is because the Republicans are trying to discourage/invalidate mail in voting, since it helps in their excuse to invalidate the election should they need to, and because more Democrats vote by mail than Republicans, more so in this time of pandemic, so tampering with the system can mean less votes for their opposition. Among other reasons.

Ah, okay, thanks for the info. I really hate when a small percentage of people making noise are focused on, making the issue seem so much bigger than it is. It makes me concerned for something that really shouldn't be much of a concern, at least for me.

4 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

It's hilarious sometimes, like the ardent anti-gay GOPers who always happen be the ones who get caught with their pants down(With another man).

Sometimes it's not. Like this. Or the ones who turn out to be pedophiles.

Edited by Slumber

12 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/california-republicans-drop-boxes-ballot-harvesting-fraud.html

This was posted in the Cali ballot thread and I think it's worth crossposting

Big trump energy

Yeah, that was a huge dick move. I do not think I can vote for any of them again unless they make some fundamental changes to their party.

Trump is going to pardon himself and his associates. While it's an open question whether or not a president can pardon themselves, there's going to be a conservative majority in the supreme court who'll rule in favour of the president.

That's what I think will happen, at least.

2 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Trump is going to pardon himself and his associates. While it's an open question whether or not a president can pardon themselves, there's going to be a conservative majority in the supreme court who'll rule in favour of the president.

I am not talking about right now. If Biden wins in November, his AG and Treasury will investigate it. The SEC would absolutely make an example of these dumbasses.

4 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

If that happens, I would fully support vigilante justice.  

I was looking at some estimations about possible outcomes for the election and saw the concept of a 'red mirage' being likely on the election night because of current circumstances. Basically, Democrats are going to be far more likely to send mail-in ballots as we've already seen whereas Republicans will disproportionally vote in person. What this may lead to is that on election night Trump appears to win in early projections, but as more and more mail-in ballots are counted over the course of a few days, it may then show that is potentially not the case.

Considering Trump has already purposely being stirring the pot regarding voter fraud, if that does turn out to be the case, then I guarantee he will try to spin the narrative that the election is fraudulent after losing an early lead if that does occur. And that does not bode well for any potential violence that may happen as a result of that.

There's not really anything that can be done about that, but it could be a very ugly situation to the point where the 2000 election will seem minor in comparison (where the result was still unknown for some time).

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah, sadly that's been his projected plan for quite a long time. At this point any action of the Republicans to tamper with the election is less with the expectative of actually winning, and more to use them to declare the election null should Biden win in spite of their tactics (see the illegal ballot boxes in California). Won't matter they were the ones that did it, since they can hope to be the ones to have the final word in the Supreme Court anyway.

Alternatively, he won't fight it, but will still try to avoid facing the responsibility of his actions.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

37 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Isn’t the rest of the world’s borders closed off to us? Regardless, before the results, or, failing that, the moment he loses, his passport should be confiscated, any and all assets frozen, or just outright arrest him on the spot. He should not get a chance of weaseling out of the consequences.

5 minutes ago, Dai said:

Isn’t the rest of the world’s borders closed off to us? Regardless, before the results, or, failing that, the moment he loses, his passport should be confiscated, any and all assets frozen, or just outright arrest him on the spot. He should not get a chance of weaseling out of the consequences.

Considering he is still officially president until Inauguration Day, can something like that be done before then?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

45 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

He has legal immunity until he stops being the president, so till january at least.

Eugh. So he’ll get three months to run away and hide. Hopefully, the whole world will keep their eyes on him.

Edit: Unless he buggers off to a non-extradition country. Like Russia. And with all the secrets he has...ugh.

Edited by Dai

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I was looking at some estimations about possible outcomes for the election and saw the concept of a 'red mirage' being likely on the election night because of current circumstances. Basically, Democrats are going to be far more likely to send mail-in ballots as we've already seen whereas Republicans will disproportionally vote in person. What this may lead to is that on election night Trump appears to win in early projections, but as more and more mail-in ballots are counted over the course of a few days, it may then show that is potentially not the case.

Considering Trump has already purposely being stirring the pot regarding voter fraud, if that does turn out to be the case, then I guarantee he will try to spin the narrative that the election is fraudulent after losing an early lead if that does occur. And that does not bode well for any potential violence that may happen as a result of that.

There's not really anything that can be done about that, but it could be a very ugly situation to the point where the 2000 election will seem minor in comparison (where the result was still unknown for some time).

Yeah, but then that's cancelled out by the secret service, neil gorsuch, and john roberts not at all being on trump's side 

5 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Yeah, but then that's cancelled out by the secret service, neil gorsuch, and john roberts not at all being on trump's side 

That might apply to Roberts, but don't bet on Gorsuch. His judicial philosophy can have him go either way.

15 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

That might apply to Roberts, but don't bet on Gorsuch. His judicial philosophy can have him go either way.

Unfortunately, we all have to bet on him short of an uprising.

Although, ideally a blue tidal wave will make it impossible for even Clarence to fuck this up.