General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Me for the past four years: "Why are we still here? Just to suffer?" 😷

Seeing the kind of shit going on, it is getting harder and harder to hold onto hope that justice will succeed. It's mind-boggling how much lower they can go when you think they've already dug far enough.

48 minutes ago, Dai said:

Seeing the kind of shit going on, it is getting harder and harder to hold onto hope that justice will succeed. It's mind-boggling how much lower they can go when you think they've already dug far enough.

There is no justice.  A lot of movies and video games have the 'good guy' winning in the end.  The 'villain' usually gets defeated or killed or suffers immensely....he or she loses.  There is no truth to that.  Not for the wealthy and powerful.  

Karma.  Don't worry karma will get them!  Nope.  No there is no force or power or fates or whatever that insures that evil people get their due.  You know why Hitler eventually died (supposedly), not cause of karma of what he had done, cause his decision to invade Russia was a massive military mistake.  

My answer to all these claims, which are reassuring.  Don't worry, justice will get them, or karma or whatever magic we like to believe in.  My answer is Donald Trump.  The dude is worse than anyone on death row or in max security prison.  What do you think will happen to him?  At BEST, he'll lose and actually leave.  Possibly, a very tiny chance the tax fraud and all the other crimes land him in white collar prison.  Where the poor guy will have to spend his time playing tennis, swimming, and doing yoga.  Eating organic meals, perusing their world class libraries, and watching shows on netflix.  Wait is this available to homeless and poor people?  How do you get in!?  Realistically he'll maybe lose a lot of money, but still be rich.  Start a news network or something, maybe run in 2024.  Maybe trade up on Melania when she gets more wrinkly....live a long long life and pass away painlessly in his sleep. 

What he deserves is what happened to Nero at the end of the classic film, Quo Vadis.  Oh wouldn't that be immensely satisfying?  Yeah  but life isn't like the movies.  

5 hours ago, Lewyn said:

There is no justice.  A lot of movies and video games have the 'good guy' winning in the end.  The 'villain' usually gets defeated or killed or suffers immensely....he or she loses.  There is no truth to that.  Not for the wealthy and powerful.  

Karma.  Don't worry karma will get them!  Nope.  No there is no force or power or fates or whatever that insures that evil people get their due.  You know why Hitler eventually died (supposedly), not cause of karma of what he had done, cause his decision to invade Russia was a massive military mistake.  

My answer to all these claims, which are reassuring.  Don't worry, justice will get them, or karma or whatever magic we like to believe in.  My answer is Donald Trump.  The dude is worse than anyone on death row or in max security prison.  What do you think will happen to him?  At BEST, he'll lose and actually leave.  Possibly, a very tiny chance the tax fraud and all the other crimes land him in white collar prison.  Where the poor guy will have to spend his time playing tennis, swimming, and doing yoga.  Eating organic meals, perusing their world class libraries, and watching shows on netflix.  Wait is this available to homeless and poor people?  How do you get in!?  Realistically he'll maybe lose a lot of money, but still be rich.  Start a news network or something, maybe run in 2024.  Maybe trade up on Melania when she gets more wrinkly....live a long long life and pass away painlessly in his sleep. 

What he deserves is what happened to Nero at the end of the classic film, Quo Vadis.  Oh wouldn't that be immensely satisfying?  Yeah  but life isn't like the movies.  

The Karma has already hit for him. Him losing on the 3rd would be the ultimate hit to his ego. A failure for the entire world to see. An inability to reclaim anything from his loss in any way, shape, or form. To be publicly exposed in such a dramatic fashion is the narcissist's worst nightmare. He can spin everything else in his life, but he cannot spin losing an election by over 50 points, which is entirely possible.

8 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

The Karma has already hit for him. Him losing on the 3rd would be the ultimate hit to his ego. A failure for the entire world to see. An inability to reclaim anything from his loss in any way, shape, or form. To be publicly exposed in such a dramatic fashion is the narcissist's worst nightmare. He can spin everything else in his life, but he cannot spin losing an election by over 50 points, which is entirely possible.

He's certainly trying. Keep in mind, he'll argue against the mail-in ballots, saying that millions of fake ones were cast, as well as arguing that the democrats rigged the election against him. Let's not forget the Supreme Court is stacked in his favor right now.

11 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I don't blame escapist fiction for having conclusions like that. Because it's something we all want to see and believe in. The only thing I blame them for is the decades of "hey, the villain shouldn't be cartoonishly evil. They should be nuanced, with tragic backstories and understandable motivations". So when Trump appeared, a flood of fresh journalists ran to publish their "fair and balanced reporting" on the serial rapist that's aiming for the white supremacist vote. Explaining away the cruelest thoughts of humanity among his supporters as "economic anxiety", pushing both sides-ism to a fault. We were not mentally prepared for the cartoony villain to show up in the flesh. And the guy was born with a silver spoon in his mouth so there was no tragic backstory to look for either other than "that one time Obama told a joke about him". 

Y'know we used to be required by law to present fair and balanced reporting. It sucked, and the administration that got rid of it? Reagan. I bet the Republican party would be rioting about that decision today if they could actually remember the time periods they're nostalgic about. If I were a GOP strategist, reinstating that law would be first priority in 2021, regardless of the results of this election. Especially since the biggest impact that law ever had was keeping media as apolitical as possible. News outlets were so afraid of being sued for not giving ENOUGH of a platform to controversial opinions that they shied away from reporting those stories completely. Hell even today there's still a stigma around reporting the truth for fear of being sued for defamation. Everything Trump ever says gets appraised uncritically, and fact checking itself has become political.

Edited by Glennstavos

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And it seems Federal ruling also dismisses it.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/02/930504062/federal-judge-rules-drive-through-votes-are-valid-in-harris-county-texas

Though I've seen people saying they'll bring it to the SCOTUS now.

They can't get it there in time. Hell, Roberts might not even hear it if it does make it there.

12 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

He hasn't lost yet, and odds of landslide are possible but unlikely.  Unless we see a historic landslide with him losing worse than any Republican candidate in a long time, he will spin it to his supporters as well as to himself that the Democrats cheated and he didn't really lose.  

49 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

He hasn't lost yet, and odds of landslide are possible but unlikely.  Unless we see a historic landslide with him losing worse than any Republican candidate in a long time, he will spin it to his supporters as well as to himself that the Democrats cheated and he didn't really lose.

It's the same guy that claimed he lost the popular vote to illegal voters, and that he won, in "reality", both the electoral AND popular vote in 2016. All fifty states could vote against him, and he'll still spin it that it was rigged against him.

43 minutes ago, Dai said:

It's the same guy that claimed he lost the popular vote to illegal voters, and that he won, in "reality", both the electoral AND popular vote in 2016. All fifty states could vote against him, and he'll still spin it that it was rigged against him.

Ah yes, back then he was against the Electoral College, then when it gave him a victory despite losing the popular vote.  He said he was all for it, and was mistaken.  

Trumpism isn't going away regardless.  It will be nice if Trump loses and even better if he gets thrown in the slammer, however the GOP is the Trump party now.  If able, DJT will run in 2024, if not you'll have Tucker Carlson or one of Trump's hellspawn.  Well...being optimistic maybe that leads to the complete destruction of the Republican Party and a radical transformation.  

7kNyg.png

My predictions.

Mind you, I was wrong in 2016 sooooo...  

On 11/5/2016 at 11:09 PM, Crysta said:

My prediction is 297 versus 241, with Clinton getting the win.

I put Florida and New Hampshire in Clinton's column, Nevada in Trump's.

Lets see how far off I am this time lol

Edited by Crysta

And results are starting to pour in.

Likely because there are only that number of votes around. Anyway, apparently no candidate got 100% of the votes back in 2016 there, so clearly peoples' minds changed there.

Keeps getting denied the higher it climbs. On the other hand:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/02/politics/texas-houston-republican-drive-thru-ballot/index.html

They closed all but one, as a just in case precaution.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

So far I'm going to assume Trump will get a second term. Too much can go wrong and the deck is inherently stacked against Biden. 

-Trump can lose the election, but win the presidency due to the electoral college overruling the American electorate if Trump wins with incredibly slim margins in some random states
- The Republican voter suppression can deliver Trump these very tight margins in the swing states
-The armed Trump cultists employing voter intimidation can deliver Trump these very tight margins in the swing state
-If Trump loses both the popular and the electoral vote he and the court he stacked in his favor can suspend the election and just declare Trump the victor due to ''fraud''
-If Trump fails with the courts but drags out the vote then it may be the House which decides the president, but despite the Democrats having a majority there this vote would be done by states, not by the number of seats which means the Republicans have a majority there too.

Despite his strong position in the polls Biden only has a very narrow set of conditions for him to become president. Every single thing that can go right must go right for Biden to be president. He must win the election, he must win the election and win specifically in the right locations, he must win by such strong margins Trump can't suspend democracy due to ''fraud'', the Republican packed court must place country over party and the vote must not be taken by the house where the Republicans have a majority only by a technicality. 

Trump in contrast has far more options to snatch a victory and fortunately for such an unpopular president pretty much all of those options place a lesser importance on the will of the people. He can win by the skin of his teeth in the electoral collage which will then overrule the American people, he can win through the courts he stacked in his favor or the house where an archaic rule cancels out the Democrat majority. 

Have fun America. 

How long does it normally take to know who the president is once the state votes start coming in?

I might watch the results tonight but I hear about how it could take days. Is that something that usually takes that long?

@Etrurian emperor Don't lose hope now. People have been fighting this tooth and nail. Do not give into fear so close to the end. There's too much at stake to give evil even the slightest chance to say it will prevail over good. America is fighting, and I feel it will win.

Apropos of nothing, here's some parts of Psalm 109 - it might be of some comfort, even if you're just as areligious as I am.

Spoiler

Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me:
they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
They compassed me about also with words of hatred;
and fought against me without a cause.

(...)

When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:
and let his prayer become sin.
Let his days be few;
and let another take his office.
Let his children be fatherless,
and his wife a widow.
10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg:
let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;
and let the strangers spoil his labour.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him:
neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
13 Let his posterity be cut off;
and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the Lord;
and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be before the Lord continually,
that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16 Because that he remembered not to shew mercy,
but persecuted the poor and needy man,
that he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him:
as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.

Amen.

I'm really, really hoping for a Biden win and for the Trump cultist not to incite a civil war. Stay safe, Americans.

Even if he was more aligned with my politics, I never really expected Corbyn to win in either case. Biden actually looks better than that.

Trump's best path to victory in this case would be to win Florida and Pennsylvania.

Edited by Tryhard