General US Politics

Ansem

1 minute ago, Dai said:

What exactly is Las Vegas doing? I'm a bit more drunk than i usually ever let myself get (re: I never ever have gotten even tipsy before) and I'm having a hard time finding anything that isn't from hours prior.

Being hooked on late night-early morning election Twitter is probably not good for my health, but it's far closer than it has any right to be in Nevada. There's still mail-ins to be counted and they should be overwhelmingly blue, but...

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Crysta said:
*snip*

At this rate, we're all going to develop post-traumatic stress disorder from this entire election, on top of the PTSD from last time.

People are giving the pollsters an unbelievable amount of crap but it feels a bit like shooting the messenger, and I think we're going to be hearing about a great amount of voter intimidation and interference in the upcoming days -- both domestic and foreign -- in lieu of all the court challenges and recount demands.

I still think the late blue surge will carry us over the line in spite of all of this, but I hope it finally drives home the point that Republicans hate democracy if it hasn't been driven into the dirt already. Just call it what it is: fascism.

1 minute ago, Crysta said:

People are giving the pollsters an unbelievable amount of crap but it feels a bit like shooting the messenger, and I think we're going to be hearing about a great amount of voter intimidation and interference in the upcoming days -- both domestic and foreign -- in lieu of all the court challenges and recount demands.

I still think the late blue surge will carry us over the line in spite of all of this, but I hope it finally drives home the point that Republicans hate democracy if it hasn't been driven into the dirt already. Just call it what it is: fascism.

Well, nothing will be done about it without consequences, and what will Joe do without a majority if he doesn't get one?

What's worse is, again, there are an alarming number of people all for fascism.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

Well, nothing will be done about it without consequences, and what will Joe do without a majority if he doesn't get one?

What's worse is, again, there are an alarming number of people all for fascism.

Him winning the presidency will still reduce the harm Trump actively does to the country on a daily basis, but it will limit what progress he can make, definitely.

Any meaningful action will have to be done via executive order and Republicans are very fond of those until they aren't!

EDIT: I think the county is center left, we just have a deplorable electoral system that favors a very loud and authoritarian minority more than it ever should. Biden will win the popular vote, likely by a greater margin than Hillary.

Edited by Crysta

1 minute ago, Crysta said:

Him winning the presidency will still reduce the harm Trump actively does to the country on a daily basis, but it will limit what progress he can make, definitely.

Any meaningful action will have to be done via executive order and Republicans are very fond of those until they aren't!

As it is, I really do pity Joe. I never expected him to be more than a one-term president upon reflection. His entire term, should he get elected, will basically be simply trying to undo the damages done to America as well as undoing Trumps ridiculously terrible choices made about foreign agreements and internal affairs.

Alright, gonna head to bed. I hope we all wake up to significantly better news later in the day and I get to smugly tell everyone "I told you so".

When their leads fully evaporate and the conservatives begin descending into conspiracism, keep in mind that they're responsible for the circumstances they're now complaining about and don't ever take them seriously again.

Yesterday I said everything that could possibly go right for Biden had to go right. So far that hasn't happened. Now for him to barely scrap out a victory everything that can still possibly go right must go right. Considering a lot of things seem to have gone so wrong that's likely too much to ask for. And such narrow margins will make it far easier for Trump to dispute this election. 

And even if every single thing goes right, even if Trump loses, even if Biden wins and even if the courts don't intervene to help Trump then America has still lost. The race being this narrow even with four years of extreme political corruption and a completely failed corona policy that Trumpism still has very strong support. It means the point of no return has long been crossed and that the chaos in America isn't going away.

Trump hasn’t flipped a state he lost in 2016. Biden flipped AZ, and may very well regain the blue wall Clinton lost + Georgia. I don’t know what you think is going wrong.

Of course Trumpism isn’t miraculously vanishing after this. 2016 will easily be the most consequential election for a long time, but Biden winning means we aren’t completely lost yet.

How, just how, with all the money spent and effort pour into appealing across the aisle and, do Democrats successfully expand their appeal? 

Obviously, Democrats can't take Latinos for granted anymore. Outside of Cubans, it is possible that other Latino groups are "becoming "white"", the same way the Irish and Italians among other ethnic groups eventually did? If so, it's ironic, the xenophobic fears of Republicans that they could never be assimilated, are proving false, and in becoming assimilated, they're turning conservative and helping Republicans.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Trump hasn’t flipped a state he lost in 2016. Biden flipped AZ, and may very well regain the blue wall Clinton lost + Georgia. I don’t know what you think is going wrong.

Of course Trumpism isn’t miraculously vanishing after this. 2016 will easily be the most consequential election for a long time, but Biden winning means we aren’t completely lost yet.

We are scared about losing PA, NC, or GA. On Google's presentation of the map right now, Trump is leading the count in all three of them. PA seems like a lost cause, and NC and GA are extremely close with Trump in a small but significant lead.

We already lost OH, and that is not a good sign. Hopefully OH is wrong and loses its status as a bellwether state.

Less throwing money around, better narrative building, and more willingness to play political hardball with the Republicans.

All that is easier said than done but like... yes, it is hard.

Edit: Most if the remaining vote that still needs to be counted is mail-in ballots in Democratic strongholds. It looks much, much better for him now. You will see that soon.

I’m almost willing to put GA in the Biden column and that will really put us in new territory.

NC is trending Trump but I never considered that a likely get in the first place tbh.

Edited by Crysta

I had a dream right before I woke up where the counting stopped and Trump won. Gave me a freaking heart attack and jolted me awake. The first thing I did was check results so far, and thank goodness the vote kept counting. It is a super close race. Arizona looks good. Hopefully we hold Nevada and most of the Blue Wall to secure the victory. If Georgia and/or North Carolina are declared to be solidly Biden's, that would definitely ease my anxiety too.

16 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

How's the senate election going? Are the republicans going to hold their majority there?

Looks like the Democrats have underperformed in the Senate, Republicans are keeping it. Underperformance in the state legislatures too, gerrymandering will only worsen.

12 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

And if he even loses one of them its game over?

Yes, but Pennsylvania isn't necessary in this victory route.

Listen, I don't want to hope, I want to despair and then adopt Buddhism or something to cope. I'm merely stating a possibility.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
I was stupid on one unnecessary detail.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yes, but Pennsylvania isn't necessary in this victory route, the lone not-winner-takes all vote of Maine is necessary to avoid a 270-270 tie I think, not that I'm sure of how that stray Maine vote is going ATM.

Listen, I don't want to hope, I want to despair and then adopt Buddhism or something to cope. I'm merely stating a possibility.

There are only 538 votes. A tie would be 269-269. That's why 270 is the magic number.

The map directly on Google marks Arizona as decided in favour of Biden. Biden is still slightly ahead in NV (around 7,5k votes), WI (~21k) and MI (~15k), which would put him precisely at 270 electors. Guess they can stop counting now. ("/s" for safety)

It seems fairly unlikely that PA, NC, or GA will turn blue (not to mention Alaska), which I think means that Biden will need NV, WI, and MI to go his way.

Who's at fault for voter fraud here, Trump?

If legal action is taken then with the right ruling this could change a few close races. Unlikely, but if nothing else it's another chip to hold in the future.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief. Kanye West has conceded the election this morning.

2 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

How's the senate election going? Are the republicans going to hold their majority there?

At best I think we're looking at a 50/50 tie which will be as good as a majority since vice president Harris can break ties. Georgia seat 2 looks like a lock. Arizona is also looking good for another flip. But the Michigan seat is looking extremely close and the republicans might flip it to maintain their majority. All three of these seats might be called sometime today. According to this graph, all of them have been impacted by ballots that the USPS were ordered to be delivered. North Carolina's seat, Maine's seat and Georgia's seat 1 are also still yet to be decided but the deficit those seats need for a blue flip appear to be larger than the other three so it's hard to judge whether we need to be looking at them too.

Edit: Oops, I'm very wrong about Georgia Seat 2. It's an election that requires the winner have at least 50 percent of the vote, and nobody does. So that's going into a runoff in January. But the results thus far are certainly promising. Maybe enough to assume they will be repeated two months from now.

Edited by Glennstavos

And Biden takes Wisconsin! Trump is already disputing it and demanding a recount, of course...

Michigan is almost done and looks promising but remains close. Nevada is tense. Pennsylvania shows promise but it depends on how blue those last votes are, while Carolina and Georgia don't look so hopeful.