General US Politics

Ansem

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Sheesh. I can't imagine how nail biting this must be for Americans. The whole world is likely tensely watching what happens but for Americans its obviously an extra bit worse. 

But to me this all indicates America is in vital need of electoral reform. The Democrats won the popular vote eight times yet the important institution keeps going to the minority of Republicans. And Biden allegedly got more votes then any presidential candidate in history. That these numbers translate to either barely scrapping a victory together or complete defeat is so damning for the American system. In a normal democracy Biden's victory would have been sealed hours ago. 

I'm just chilling, right now. There are better things that are worth stressing out over. All we can do is cast our votes and hope that the guy we elected doesn't turn out to be a complete idiot.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'm someone with not a lot of earthly distractions and daily chores. I have time to devote to thoughts about the intangible whole of humanity, which isn't necessarily a good thing. If I had a thing I had to do (a job or parenting to name the two most common ones), my stomach wouldn't contain a forest of monarch butterflies right now, I'd probably just sigh dismally and go about my life.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Thinking about the "intangible whole of humanity" all the time sounds tiring and ineffectual.

Play some video games, man.

Considering how this was a thing up in a county of New Hampshire, they have every right to be worried.

https://youtu.be/6X1uOoQ2mIk

Granted, it's for a county that you guys have probably never heard of. Plus, it's not like having Trump for office will somehow doom the rest of the world.

21 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Thinking about the "intangible whole of humanity" all the time sounds tiring and ineffectual.

Play some video games, man.

I want to, I've been happily playing through Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, which is very cute, innocent, and lots of childhood nostalgia for me. But I can't concentrate on growing eggplants and pursuing the love of Cliff with the election going on the background. I don't want the very possible coup de grace in Trump's favor to be announced while I'm playing it, I do not want the game seared into my memory as the thing I was doing when the very tragic event occurred. I can't forget where I was during the 2016 election, I was attending East Asian history class in grad school, when a fellow student, most of whom had their phones out, said Trump had taken Florida, I immediately despaired about what that meant.

I'd say this also plays into me loving Sephiran amongst the FE characters, considering his plight is about the state of humanity in the whole.

Though to keep things in perspective, there's a generation or two of people in Iraq where life's biggest moments can be defined by which war was happening at the time. You could say you born during the Iran-Iraq War, started attending school while the USA was repelling Saddam from Kuwait, got married during the US invasion of Iraq, and saw some of your children start attending school while ISIS was conquering the country. Now thats... interestingly bad.

It. Will. Be. Fine.

I know we're suffering from 2016 PSTD but it really was never that close. The Republican temper tantrums they continually made fun of us for are on the horizon but do not mistake them for serious threats. 

EDIT: lmao that video is hilarious 10/10

if that's what frightens you then we're in great shape

Edited by Crysta

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I want to, I've been happily playing through Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, which is very cute, innocent, and lots of childhood nostalgia for me. But I can't concentrate on growing eggplants and pursuing the love of Cliff with the election going on the background. I don't want the very possible coup de grace in Trump's favor to be announced while I'm playing it, I do not want the game seared into my memory as the thing I was doing when the very tragic event occurred. I can't forget where I was during the 2016 election, I was attending East Asian history class in grad school, when a fellow student, most of whom had their phones out, said Trump had taken Florida, I immediately despaired about what that meant.

I'd say this also plays into me loving Sephiran amongst the FE characters, considering his plight is about the state of humanity in the whole.

Though to keep things in perspective, there's a generation or two of people in Iraq where life's biggest moments can be defined by which war was happening at the time. You could say you born during the Iran-Iraq War, started attending school while the USA was repelling Saddam from Kuwait, got married during the US invasion of Iraq, and saw some of your children start attending school while ISIS was conquering the country. Now thats... interestingly bad.

You really need to stop associating politics with the things that you love

Shit's ain't healthy.

Edited by Armchair General

Okay, I was wrong. It'll probably won't be until midnight when we get Bleorgia.

But here's some good news re: the Senate.

hold onto your butts

Edited by Crysta

That's not my idea of "good news", but it's better than the alternative.

No one cares about Hawaii's vote count, so I'm going to post it anyway.  In 2016 there were just under 430k votes cast total.  For the two major candidates, my newspaper reports 562k votes.  Hell of an increase IMO.

Downside is that Trump gained a lot of votes, from just under 129k to 196k.  Glad that Biden won my state in a landslide, percentage-wise, but not happy with the uptick in votes for Trump (who I somehow typed in as "turnip").

Trump needs 55-57% of the remaining ~418k Arizona ballots to win the state. The remaining ballots are mail, Arizona's strong mail-in vote system, is popular with Republicans, who seem to have submitted more of the late mail-ins, this means the current gap of almost 80k is crossable. 😐

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Trump needs 55-57% of the remaining ~418k Arizona ballots to win the state. The remaining ballots are mail, Arizona's strong mail-in vote system, is popular with Republicans, who seem to have submitted more of the late mail-ins, this means the current gap of almost 80k is crossable. 😐

Feels more like an outlier more than a trend tbh

The Associated Press (and Fox News) already called Arizona for Biden ages ago, and they are almost always reliable. I'd be quite surprised if there was a backtrack on that.

So Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina. North Carolina is probably unlikely but for Biden to straight up lose the other three, I'm not really seeing it right now. Who knows. Georgia has the potential to be very close.

Edited by Tryhard

Couldn't we just have a Biden landslide to close this awful year and have some peace of mind?  Now we have to stress over a super tight election, recounts, Trump's many lawsuits and threats, him goading his base to wreck havoc, and never having to admit defeat.  Even if he loses here officially, he will never admit it.  He was robbed, the election is rigged.  Then we have to wait til end of January for him not to blow his top and do even crazier things than usual.  Wait...if that isn't enough

It looks like the Senate won't flip, which means Mcconnell will block every court appointee of Biden (don't even think of court packing or reform) and likely most bills.  Biden will have to abuse the heck of the executive order but those can easily be undone by a future President.  

Georgia vote will go on til the early morning apparantly, still haven't got second batch of Arizona votes either.  Looks like Georgia will go to Biden, but Arizona has good chance of going to Trump.  Then Nevada we won't get idea til tomorrow.  Penn looks like Biden is on pace, but it will take awhile, and here is where I'm most worried Trump will be successful at stopping the count at some point.  

It's 2020, of course it wouldn't be otherwise.

On the Senate issue, there may some hope if the Georgia elections go into runoff. At least, that's what people bank on.

I don't want to jinx the results, but I'm hoping this close electoral college victory yet massive popular vote deficit fuels the call to repeal the electoral college. Biden hasn't given any position on this issue (and y'know, saying you're going to repeal the way we do elections while running for that election is career suicide). And yeah you'd need more than a majority in congress to amend the constitution, but if you keep hammering this issue into the public eye, politicians will shift to meet this new demand for a more democratic process. Republicans are already shifting their policies and allegiances away from the Trump era. And democrats have been shifting left in the last few years too. It's a good time to be hashing out old discussions like that.

Anyway, as for the current election results, I'm liking what I see out of Georgia tonight. It's looking like both senate seats may go to a runoff. And the state itself can be a huge get to pad out Biden's electoral lead. I know Biden is safe so long as Arizona and Nevada holds, but only by a couple points. And that creates a nightmare scenario where faithless electors can rob the election even without giving their vote to Trump. For reference 2016 had seven faithless electors (plus three more that attempted to go rouge, but were beaten back by their state's laws), and I don't think it's crazy to suggest we can see more than that this year.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

nd that creates a nightmare scenario where faithless electors can rob the election even without giving their vote to Trump. 

Didn't the Supreme Court in the past year or two rule that states can bind electors???

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Didn't the Supreme Court in the past year or two rule that states can bind electors???

Back in July they shot down the idea that punishments for a faithless elector was unconstitutional. Because that was still an open question, I guess. But no, there's no mandate that states must punish and/or stop faithless electors. States are free to come up with their own rules to deal with that situation, and most of them have. But only a fraction of them last time around forcibly had their vote changed (or were replaced by a new elector that would make the "correct" vote)

1 minute ago, Excellen Browning said:

Georgia is going to turn blue if what I'm being told is correct. Biden 17k behind, with 60k votes to go, and getting ~75% of the votes right now. Even if that margin narrows to 65%, he's going to win Georgia.

I'll take a declaration of Biden's victory tonight, if possible. It'd improve my mood after I got denied workman's comp today.