• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/3/2020 at 8:20 PM, Crysta said:

EDIT2: look at Georgia

El9G6ypXEAE64ka.jpg

On 11/4/2020 at 4:40 AM, Crysta said:

Trump hasn’t flipped a state he lost in 2016. Biden flipped AZ, and may very well regain the blue wall Clinton lost + Georgia. I don’t know what you think is going wrong.

On 11/4/2020 at 5:07 AM, Crysta said:

I’m almost willing to put GA in the Biden column and that will really put us in new territory.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, Crysta said:

I do legit think when it's all said and done we get the blue wall back + georgia and all the seeming miniscule leads right now won't be so small in the next 48 hours

On 11/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, Crysta said:

We're down to 162,000 absentees remaining uncounted in Georgia and the deficit is 55,592 right now.

GO ATLANTA C'MON DO WHAT FLORIDA COULDN'T

On 11/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, Crysta said:

Okay, I was wrong. It'll probably won't be until midnight when we get Bleorgia.

21 hours ago, Crysta said:

- We're getting blue Georgia, folks. It's going to drive them insane.

I claim the most smug points

The conservatives have already been going through the stages of grief but it'll get a lot worse from here on. It changes the narrative.

EDIT: We may get PA in the morning, which will be the final nail in the coffin. Wouldn't be surprised if that miraculously triggers snail-slow AZ and NV counts to speed up, but I've been wrong on like every time projection soooo

Edited by Crysta

*Wakes up after 3 hours of sleep*

...I really tried to prep myself for snoozing for like the 3 1/2 hours before that, no more checking the news or 538 since that point, but the heart would just not stay still enough for slumber.

My teeth are chattering right now, with cautious hope that victory is here. Salvation is on the horizon after four that feels like forty years of wandering the wilderness of American politics. Sure, the Senate is still lost and House control has narrowed, but don't complain about there being only 10 survivors after a nuclear apocalypse.

I should not be saying be say this yet, because  *Cue the lightning bolt that burns down the building and all the remaining paper ballots therein in one of the remaining key states. Or, two meteors that strike the places where Biden and Harris are.*, but if you happen to visit one of the coterie of swing states that swung Biden, and you walk by someone who you think voted for him, say "Thank you" and kiss the ground six feet away from their feet (because Biden supporters rightly fear Covid). They deserve it, every single one of them, get used to bowing. And if it turns out they say "But I voted for Trump", then correct yourself and say "Thank you for voting anyhow", b/c democracy in action = good, but no need for symbolic puckering up to the pavement then.

And good to see the Arizona gap widen again. If it holds, then McCain, if you interfered in the election from the beyond by temporarily possessing people long enough to fill out their votes for them, I then turn a blind eye to it. You can legally do that on All Saints' Day.👻

1 hour ago, Crysta said:

I claim the most smug points

On 11/4/2020 at 4:49 PM, ping said:

It seems fairly unlikely that PA, NC, or GA will turn blue (not to mention Alaska), which I think means that Biden will need NV, WI, and MI to go his way.

I can't even be mad, you deserve this smugtory.

Meanwhile, Donny Jr tweets that the best thing for America's future would be Donny Sr going to "total war over this election". Sheesh boy, Goebbels at least had the decency to ask :rolleyes:

Just now, Shrimperor said:

seems like there's still a little bit of hope actually because from what it looks like there will be run off elections in Georgia

Hopefully those suburbanites will have their vote batteries recharged in time and ready to do it again. Send in Obama to rally the peaceful soldiers of democracy again if necessary, more Obama we miss you! speeches are always in demand.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My teeth are chattering right now, with cautious hope that victory is here. Salvation is on the horizon after four that feels like forty years of wandering the wilderness of American politics. Sure, the Senate is still lost and House control has narrowed, but don't complain about there being only 10 survivors after a nuclear apocalypse.

You poor guy. If all goes well you might be able to finally rest easy. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

You poor guy. If all goes well you might be able to finally rest easy. 

Well, there is still the chance that Trump could do something totally outrageous even when he loses and the courts refuse to back him up, what exactly, I have no idea. Ordering the Marines (or whatever replaced the KGB) to assassinate Biden? Deploying B-51s with thermonuclear bombs to wipe out California let's not give him ideas?

But, we've known he would not peacefully concede for months, if not years, I've had nights where I stayed up fearing it. And it shouldn't be a surprise a bunch of Republicans are staying on his side. Yet, for me personally, this terrible post-election chaos to come, will not be as stressful as the election itself -provided Biden wins (never too late to add a statement of caution, not until every vote is counted). Other people are absolutely going to remain at high stress levels, but the war for democracy has arrived, and Biden will have taken the electoral high ground, that is, perhaps naively, assuring enough for me.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

32 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Huzzah!

I am shamelessly satisfied for an election that's not even in my own country. I don't think that's too unreasonable. If America sneezes Europe catches the cold. And there are a number of very critical problems that need to get solved such as global warming, which would be impossible under a Trump presidency. Even under a Democrat government its an uphill battle and that's if we're incredibly generous, but at least we got a fighting chance. 

Likely Victory! 🎉🎊

Who needs legislation passed?* The United States's presidency's honor is probably being patched up.

*On Inauguration Day, if all goes as is, two things must be immediately started:

1. Plans for the coming year's White House Christmas theme, it's so great an undertaking that January is not too soon.
  2. Plans for the Democratic strategy for winning the destined war to be called the 2018 midterms. Anyone know the Senate probabilities this time?

I am still a bit disappointed and worried, because I just got the following sentence (paraphrased) that I feel was fuelled by Trump getting as many votes as he did:

"I mean, we can't be getting that good a perspective on the US here and he can't be that bad if he got so many votes."

I got quite frustrated from that. I'm still miffed about it. This person isn't stupid (though I got a fair bit of flack for calling them dense for this limited perspective).

Thanks America.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I am still a bit disappointed and worried, because I just got the following sentence (paraphrased) that I feel was fuelled by Trump getting as many votes as he did:

"I mean, we can't be getting that good a perspective on the US here and he can't be that bad if he got so many votes."

I got quite frustrated from that. I'm still miffed about it. This person isn't stupid (though I got a fair bit of flack for calling them dense for this limited perspective).

Thanks America.

Oh, Trumpism has been likely stalemated, not defeated. But were you complaining when ISIS stopped gaining ground in the Middle East for the first time? 

The war shall continue, with no end in sight. Not for the next four years, probably not for decades to come.

Also, don't forget the Curious Case of Grover Cleveland. Although he was elected prior to the amendment officially restricting presidents to two terms, Cleveland did serve two non-consecutive terms as president, and that is still allowed. Meaning, Trump, if he has lost this one, could run again in 2024. I have very few doubts that he couldn't get the nomination. Given how much he looooooooves rallies and campaigning over actually doing the president's job, this might actually be a happier outcome for him. Although even in a second term, I don't see how he wouldn't invent an excuse for rallies.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh, Trumpism has been likely stalemated, not defeated. But were you complaining when ISIS stopped gaining ground in the Middle East for the first time? 

The war shall continue, with no end in sight. Not for the next four years, probably not for decades to come.

Also, don't forget the Curious Case of Grover Cleveland. Although he was elected prior to the amendment officially restricting presidents to two terms, Cleveland did serve two non-consecutive terms as president, and that is still allowed. Meaning, Trump, if he has lost this one, could run again in 2024. I have very few doubts that he couldn't get the nomination. Given how much he looooooooves rallies and campaigning over actually doing the president's job, this might actually be a happier outcome for him. Although even in a second term, I don't see how he wouldn't invent an excuse for rallies.

I think you misunderstand my worry and disappointment. I honestly suspect Trump won't make it to 2024 (due to stress from others trying to get the ex-president), I don't think he'll be the cause for concern at that point.

My worry and disappointment is in hearing family look at the person who's been awful for four years and been the face of the Republicans at their most blatantly worst and look at the election and how it's turned out the way it did and come to that conclusion. I know they've not seen anywhere near the details I'm hinting at, but I do think they are looking at this from an incorrect, overly simplistic position and got the wrong answer for it. And of course coming to that conclusion I mentioned earlier as a result. I do realise I don't have the full situation either, but I've got enough of a sense of the period to end up feeling like the US is in a concerning place as the 4 years have shown. I also understand the media here is going to have limits in terms of understanding it too, but not to the extent that that conclusion adds up.

Though I'm happy to see you calmer after the last few days. 🙂

So can someone more well informed with the process tell me why it's these five states specifically that have been frozen for basically the last two days? Like why did the other 90% of states manage to finish counting so much earlier? Do these states have some kind of different election laws? Or is it just these are the states that had the closest results so it was just a tonne of recounting? I heard something about overseas military personal votes coming in, but wouldn't all states have to wait on that? Or is it just that all states do have to wait on late stuff like that, it's just these are the only ones where it could make a difference?

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Grover Cleveland messed up the numbering when it comes to Presidents of the USA, and it seems like I'm the only one who's significantly bothered by that.

Edited by Jotari

If I recall correctly, it has to do with how they chose to handle the absentee ballots and mail-in votes; I may be wrong, but I believe they all decided not only to count those last, but not even start counting them until other ballots were counted? Perhaps someone with more insight could clear that up.

Anyway, I went into this election with heavy pessimism, and never have I been so happy to be wrong. Many problems still ahead, but the worst-case scenario has been handily averted!

Different election laws. IIRC none of them allow absentee and mail-in ballots to be counted before the in-person votes have been, even if they arrived before election day. A number of states have also been called before all ballots were counted, because of things like mail ballots that were delivered too late (thanks DeJoy), or because of votes having to come in from overseas, like from military personnel. The only state these votes might matter in is Georgia though, and Georgia has become irrelevant.

Edited by Excellen Browning

I imagine it must be a combination of different election laws and the chances of mail ins actually changing anything. Otherwise it seems like a pretty major coincidence that the only five states with these different laws all happen to be the ones that are coming down to the wire super close. The only other states that seem this close(that I can see casually observing) are Arizona and Wisconsin, and Wisconsin was in limbo for a while there too.

EDIT: Well actually I suppose Alaska isn't that close so it's not that big a coincidence.

Edited by Jotari

There's only a dozen or so states that are actually close enough to be contested to begin with. A rough list would be Nevada, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia, and maybe Texas if you squint.

You might also notice that from these 11 states, only 4 were still being contested as of this morning; PA, NV, AZ and GA

So no, it's not weird and hardly a major coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

There's only a dozen or so states that are actually close enough to be contested to begin with. A rough list would be Nevada, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia, and maybe Texas if you squint.

You might also notice that from these 11 states, only 4 were still being contested as of this morning; PA, NV, AZ and GA

So no, it's not weird and hardly a major coincidence.

Why is Minnesota a purple or blue state in the first place? Minnesota's placement on the map looks as though it should be solid red.