General US Politics

Ansem

7 hours ago, XRay said:

I cannot think of any president who is worse than Trump.

Buchanan drove America into a bloody civil war so no matter how bad Trump is Buchanan might be a little bit worse. 

But I think traditionally horrible presidents like Harding or Nixon might get some slight rehabilitation due to how much worse Trump was. Nixon was a crook but he seemed to at least know how to run a country, the Republicans had the dignity to reject him and he had the dignity to just go away. And if Harding's extreme corruption to enrich his cronies is what makes him among the worst presidents then Trump's far more open form of corruption to primarily enrich himself will likely be seen as worse 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Crysta said:

As for the networks not calling it when the math is on the wall and even their own newscasters seem to have no clue why it's not being called, I think it may be 2016 PTSD. Or the execs are milking the coverage, and curled up under a desk and crying now that they won't get any more salacious Trump/MAGA content.

I wouldn't want to be so cynical concerning the media, I'm pretty sure a lot of them have been as sick to their souls as the rest of us, if not more, for the past four years because they were forced by profession and duty to keep their nose and mouth wide open in Trump's pile of excrement. 

Also, don't forget, we're going into 2-3 months of a lame duck Trump. It's going to be a really awkward America, except for the last conservative judge appointments and millions of Covid cases. 

A semi-random thought, is Trump going to make some sort of pathetically desperate Covid bargain plea at some point? "Get me that vaccine! If the vaccine comes out by January 20th, you can't get rid of me!"

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Buchanan drove America into a bloody civil war so no matter how bad Trump is Buchanan might be a little bit worse. 

But I think traditionally horrible presidents like Harding or Nixon might get some slight rehabilitation due to how much worse Trump was. Nixon was a crook but he seemed to at least know how to run a country, the Republicans had the dignity to reject him and he had the dignity to just go away. And if Harding's extreme corruption to enrich his cronies is what makes him among the worst presidents then Trump's far more open form of corruption to primarily enrich himself will likely be seen as worse 

Still might be a civil war yet, Don't count chickens and all that jazz.

Although Arizona remains a haphazard guess, Trump could still take it. The remaining Maricopa County ballots are braille, large print, military, and overseas according to 538, noooooo idea what way they'll lean.

Regardless of Biden's extraneous win or loss there, Democrats have shown they have very real potential in Arizona. And it isn't like being above 300 in the EC would give Biden that much more leverage, there isn't an overwhelming popular mandate coming from this election.

AP, CNN, NBC, NY Times have all called it for Biden.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although Arizona remains a haphazard guess, Trump could still take it. The remaining Maricopa County ballots are braille, large print, military, and overseas according to 538, noooooo idea what way they'll lean.

Regardless of Biden's extraneous win or loss there, Democrats have shown they have very real potential in Arizona. And it isn't like being above 300 in the EC would give Biden that much more leverage, there isn't an overwhelming popular mandate coming from this election.

300+ ECs against an incumbent (even just beating the incumbent) is really good though. If Biden does end up winning Georgia and Arizona he'll end up with 306 ECs, which is more than what Trump won in 2016 (304). And Trump called that one a mandate and a landslide, because of course he did.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There's still Pima County votes left to count, if I recall correctly, and the place is bluer than Maricopa. It's unlikely Biden loses AZ.

Not that it's critical, now that he has been officially declared winner. But still...

Oh thank god it's finally over. Biden winning is a fucking relief to hear. Makes this week of hell and sleepless nights all worth it.

Of course now Trump's having a fit and is gonna demand recounts wherever he can, claiming any votes that let the Democrats win are fraudulent, take it to the courts yada yada. I don't get why he thinks all of that is gonna change much, but at least I can start resting easy for a little bit.

Pennsylvania voter here, reporting in.

Its been very surreal seeing Allegheny County as one of the focal points of this race, where I was born and lived my whole life. I'm proud to see that the majority of my state hasn't lost itself again to the disease that is Trumpism. These last several months have been so anxiety inducing for me, but somehow these past few days were almost even worse. I've been so terrified watching the early returns that Trump would steal it again, and even when it started going towards Biden I wasn't going to let myself believe it until it was officially called. I've only been old enough to vote in a few elections so far, but this one is by far the most important one to me. I'm glad to know that my family and I were a part of this; I even managed to convince my brother to vote for the first time, and I'm so happy that he and all the other people like him can finally see and understand that every vote does count! I wish it didn't have to be this close, and that says a lot about the people around us, but I'm confident that we have saved the nation from itself today and that hopefully we are going back in the right direction before its too late. I have hope once again. This is who we are at our core, not the last 4 years of Trump and his evil.

I've been lurking in this thread whenever I'm at work and can't watch the vote counting on the news stations, so thanks to everyone who has been updating the thread with the state of the race. Its been a nail biting experience, but appreciated!

20 minutes ago, Silver Lightning said:

Pennsylvania voter here, reporting in.

Its been very surreal seeing Allegheny County as one of the focal points of this race, where I was born and lived my whole life. I'm proud to see that the majority of my state hasn't lost itself again to the disease that is Trumpism. These last several months have been so anxiety inducing for me, but somehow these past few days were almost even worse. I've been so terrified watching the early returns that Trump would steal it again, and even when it started going towards Biden I wasn't going to let myself believe it until it was officially called. I've only been old enough to vote in a few elections so far, but this one is by far the most important one to me. I'm glad to know that my family and I were a part of this; I even managed to convince my brother to vote for the first time, and I'm so happy that he and all the other people like him can finally see and understand that every vote does count! I wish it didn't have to be this close, and that says a lot about the people around us, but I'm confident that we have saved the nation from itself today and that hopefully we are going back in the right direction before its too late. I have hope once again. This is who we are at our core, not the last 4 years of Trump and his evil.

I've been lurking in this thread whenever I'm at work and can't watch the vote counting on the news stations, so thanks to everyone who has been updating the thread with the state of the race. Its been a nail biting experience, but appreciated!

Thank you for voting!😃🏆

And thank everyone you know, and everyone in your state, and everyone in every tightly-contested state, who voted for the triumph of light over darkness on this day.

17 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Having a (more appreciated) president on paper is nice, but this hasn't been the end. I'm fearing of a serious aftermath in form of bloody protests considering how torn this country is right now.

Oh, this country's woes aren't over. But one day at a time. One election at a time. Gotta plan to stop another Trump from arising and taking the reins of government in the future, but a few days of sheer celebration is fine, the learned and capable can start working on tyrant threat reduction methods next week.

44 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Relief.png

and it's not even my country!

But it affects us everywhere...

The health of all democracies, especially the biggest, are connected to each other. Autocracy can survive in geopolitical islands, but the will of the people is more secure the more it is spread throughout the world and the inverse is true too.

And on that note, I do hope your cornerstone of European democracy is able to stave off any resurrected far right threats that may be on its radar.

Being a native of Michigan, now residing in Georgia, the political has felt very personal for this race. Joe Biden was never my first pick, but I really hope he can rein in the "f*ck your feelings" mentality that's plagued us in the Trump era. I'm not one to fetishize "unity", but I do believe there is a need for respect to permeate the discourse once again. As for policy, I'm hoping to see Biden lend more of an ear to the experts: on Covid, the economy, race relations, etc. And we should all remember that, in a democratic republic, political engagement may start on election day, but it sure as hell doesn't stop there.

It's definitely a relief. To all prospective killjoys, know that the people celebrating today's win are the most qualified on the planet to understand that there is still work to be done, and you don't need to remind them of that fact. Just allow one day of celebration. These last four years have been hell even without the pandemic depriving us of human contact, financial security, maybe even loved ones. We earned an opportunity to let out some kinds of emotion we forgot we had.

I woke up to everyone in America singing hallelujah, meanwhile I, someone who doesn't follow politics and doesn't understand why Biden won already, can really only smile and nod.

Like... seriously, I'm looking at The Associated Press map of the US by votes, and all I can understand is that my homestate, Oregon, voted Democratic.

What a blessed relief. I know there's still a long and painful road ahead, but just not having a vile fascist and his cronies in full control of the government anymore is an accomplishment, and I think it's good to have some hope after so much dread and suffering leading up to all this.