General US Politics

Ansem

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Could get rid of presidents entirely. That could be a step in the right direction.

*snip*

Blah the Prussian, is that you? What did you do with Jotari?

Kidding aside, I don't see a lot of people who would be thrilled at a change in form of government.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's any branch of government desperately in need of reform, it's the judicial system. Life appointments can't be justified for any job. Especially one that requires your mental faculties remain in order. We live a lot longer now than thought possible centuries ago, and the Constitution was written at a time where the president was also thought to serve for life like any king. The problem with disorders related to things like dementia is that it doesn't just take away your means of function, it warps your entire personality and perception of the world around you. Hell yeah that's going to change your reading of the Constitution or your judgment of people related to a case. Sure Congress can impeach judges, but has it happened to a supreme court justice before? Exactly once, over two hundred years ago. And the Senate did not vote to remove him. Another meaningless impeachment story. What about federal judges? That list isn't that much more impressive. 14 in our nation's history, not counting the SC justice, three of whom were acquitted and kept their office. 

Speaking of term limits, I often felt congress ought to be adjusted too. 4 years for both houses. House representative spend their entire terms running for re-election, and that sucks. I would have senators serve the remainder of their terms, but only get 4 years on their next term. That way we'd still be looking at a third of senate elections every two years. Maybe there's a way to split house elections into equal midterm affairs as well.

9 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Blah the Prussian, is that you? What did you do with Jotari?

Kidding aside, I don't see a lot of people who would be thrilled at a change in form of government.

Hey, I'm not suggesting they get replaced with kings!

On 11/24/2020 at 8:55 AM, Glennstavos said:

If there's any branch of government desperately in need of reform, it's the judicial system. Life appointments can't be justified for any job. Especially one that requires your mental faculties remain in order. We live a lot longer now than thought possible centuries ago, and the Constitution was written at a time where the president was also thought to serve for life like any king. The problem with disorders related to things like dementia is that it doesn't just take away your means of function, it warps your entire personality and perception of the world around you. Hell yeah that's going to change your reading of the Constitution or your judgment of people related to a case. Sure Congress can impeach judges, but has it happened to a supreme court justice before? Exactly once, over two hundred years ago. And the Senate did not vote to remove him. Another meaningless impeachment story. What about federal judges? That list isn't that much more impressive. 14 in our nation's history, not counting the SC justice, three of whom were acquitted and kept their office. 

Speaking of term limits, I often felt congress ought to be adjusted too. 4 years for both houses. House representative spend their entire terms running for re-election, and that sucks. I would have senators serve the remainder of their terms, but only get 4 years on their next term. That way we'd still be looking at a third of senate elections every two years. Maybe there's a way to split house elections into equal midterm affairs as well.

It's kind of hard to replace judges, though. I mean, it isn't exactly an easy job, even if you're working for a county that's in the middle of nowhere.

You'd think that pardoning someone who has been declared guilty and confessed would not be allowed.

Thankfully for anyone justifying it the right to pardon is so vague that you can argue any which way.

Who else is liable to be pardoned?

I feel like we already figured out the meta decades ago. Resign from the presidency, get pardoned by your Vice President. We call that the Nixon Nullifier. Pardoning yourself would just be...tacky.

Edited by Glennstavos

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I feel like we already figured out the meta decades ago. Resign from the presidency, get pardoned by your Vice President. We call that the Nixon Nullifier. Pardoning yourself would just be...tacky.

Sounds about right for the current administration.  The tacky part, that is.

24 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Sounds about right for the current administration.  The tacky part, that is.

I think the only appropriate response to that post is quoting this

We call that the Nixon Nullifier

and saying nobody calls it that

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think the only appropriate response to that post is quoting this

and saying nobody calls it that

Because it sounds cool, at least.  Like, the only thing I can say about our current's president pardon powers is that it's his Trump Card or something.

i do have to wonder how the psyche of some of these diehard trumpers will develop when they get past the denial phase where they genuinely think trump is going to overturn the election and be inaugurated 

Edited by Tryhard

28 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

i do have to wonder how the psyche of some of these diehard trumpers will develop when they get past the denial phase where they genuinely think trump is going to overturn the election and be inaugurated 

Same as always - deny that Biden is their president, chant whatever nonsense their so-far-right-they're-off-the-deep-end echo chamber tells them to, and move on with life.  Then proceed to be insufferable during the 2024 election.

Fox News betrayed them by telling them the truth, Newsmax dared to report that Biden's victory has been certified in the key states and they're gnashing their teeth at them now, next is OANN...

Soon, it might be a literal Qanon-ruled party.

Trump can pardon himself, but he hasn't been charged with federal crimes yet.  I don't think you can do a pardon prevent, and then commit whatever federal crimes for the rest of your life and not be held accountable.  

51 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Fox News betrayed them by telling them the truth, Newsmax dared to report that Biden's victory has been certified in the key states and they're gnashing their teeth at them now, next is OANN...

Soon, it might be a literal Qanon-ruled party.

Tune into my new network...Q TV!  Featuring Q himself!  Disguised of course, we don't want the deep state to get to him!  The divine hero ordained by Q, Donald Trump, continues his arduous quest to prevent Biden and his pedophile cabal from stealing the election.  Things look tough but luckily he has that Templar knight of virtue Guiliani refusing to back down, and secreting holy water from his head!  Obama, or whom we call the black Devil, laughs with his buddy Soros spreading fake news about Covid and claiming the election is over.  It isn't over, we'll fight til the end like our forefathers did.  For Q, for America, for freedom!

I was about to ask if pardons can be revoked, but I decided to do the research myself, and by research, I mean finding my answers on Quora.

Anyway, from what I understand, pardons can't be revoked once they have been delivered to the recipient. There were instances in the past where pardons were "revoked," but they were never delivered to the recipients in the first place, so it was more like stopping a download halfway through, for an illustratable comparison.

So, unless they're convicted again for something else, those that Trump has pardoned are free to go (despite Flynn literally pleading guilty, but I guess that's what the pardon is for, huh?).

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I don't think you can do a pardon prevent, and then commit whatever federal crimes for the rest of your life and not be held accountable.  

If you mean a preemptive pardon in preparation for such an event, then I wouldn't think so. A pardon is an active executable action (try saying that ten times fast), so it's not like an extra layer of armor that you can expend if you need to use it, or like having an extra life like in a video game, if that makes sense. 

Then again, a preemptive pardon in preparation has never been done before, as far as I know.

I see Trump resigning only if he can spin it to make him look like a winner/strong. A resignation at this point would look like a concession.

He does have a history of cutting and running in his business deals. But, again, his image/ego is paramount -- not many people look into those details.

Edited by Crysta

13 hours ago, leetic said:

Keep in mind that a pardon only applies to federal crimes, and New York can still go after Trump even if he takes that route.

That is absolutely true. If Trump gave himself plot armor against federal offenses, if still wouldn't protect him at the state or even local level, so it balances out. 

17 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I was about to ask if pardons can be revoked, but I decided to do the research myself, and by research, I mean finding my answers on Quora.

Anyway, from what I understand, pardons can't be revoked once they have been delivered to the recipient. There were instances in the past where pardons were "revoked," but they were never delivered to the recipients in the first place, so it was more like stopping a download halfway through, for an illustratable comparison.

So, unless they're convicted again for something else, those that Trump has pardoned are free to go (despite Flynn literally pleading guilty, but I guess that's what the pardon is for, huh?).

If you mean a preemptive pardon in preparation for such an event, then I wouldn't think so. A pardon is an active executable action (try saying that ten times fast), so it's not like an extra layer of armor that you can expend if you need to use it, or like having an extra life like in a video game, if that makes sense. 

Then again, a preemptive pardon in preparation has never been done before, as far as I know.

Nixon was preemptively pardoned for any crimes he might have committed

In another edition of extreme laws that haven't passed, yet; we have a draft that enables the government to acquire $80 billion worth of farmland through eminent domain...And redistribute it to anyone who can prove that they have African ancestry.

On one hand, it's fair from a certain point of view. But I'm leaning towards that this is kind of extreme and that the current residents wouldn't go for this.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, Glennstavos said:

nixon's vp resigned too

he got pardoned by his speaker of the house