General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

Does filibustering actually work for that case? I thought it was always used as a way to prevent voting on a bill a certain party or individual does not like.

It serves to frustrate senate business but in the grand scheme of things people like McConnell don't care too much about government shutdowns, so it probably accomplishes little. Considering what's on the agenda is the government spending bill, that's not even too unlikely.

edit: correction, it's the defense spending bill that needs to pass the senate. So no threat of a shutdown. Still not good

Edited by Excellen Browning

15 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

True that, there's also "Both parties are the same". I see this a lot and it is sad to see as someone who wants both parties to be destroyed because there's literally one side straight up acting like Disney Villains lol

Like big tech companies, Democrats need to split.

Like plantations, Republicans need to disappear to history.

15 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

True that, there's also "Both parties are the same". I see this a lot and it is sad to see as someone who wants both parties to be destroyed because there's literally one side straight up acting like Disney Villains lol

Some people think that one side is the literal savior of the world while the other side needs to burn.  Some people are attempting to be smart but are going about it the wrong way.  Some are outright trolls.  And I'm going to have faith that there's a non-insignificant part of the population that realizes that both parties have flaws, but one is actively trying to burn the country down.  Ideally, we'd get rid of all the corruption, but I don't think doing it in one fell swoop is realistic.  So I'll settle for getting rid of the side that thinks negotiation is "my way only".

this attempt to appeal section 230 is a great encapsulation of short-term conservative thinking and their desire to punish people who make them feel small without thinking about the consequences

rip parler

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised by the lack of outrage over the recent trump pardons. Because holy shit the list. Co-conspirators in the Russia and Ukraine schemes, fraudsters, traitors, child murderers, it's all fair game.

And apparently everyone's cool with convicted murderers walking.

Edited by Excellen Browning

Exhaustion? At this point why even be surprised...?

Far from being okay, but still... fight against it becomes business as usual.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

22 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised by the lack of outrage over the recent trump pardons.

Hes got 3 weeks left in office, and then the indictments start raining down from The New York State Attorney General's Office.

Pick your battles.

1 hour ago, Excellen Browning said:

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised by the lack of outrage over the recent trump pardons. Because holy shit the list. Co-conspirators in the Russia and Ukraine schemes, fraudsters, traitors, child murderers, it's all fair game.

I think everyone is just exhausted from four years of the Trump presidency and that everyone who would be outraged by these pardons saw them coming years in advance. I also suspect the reason Trump started these shocking pardons is to exhaust the population further for when its time to pardon himself and his family. 

Which people have already expected for long as well.

Or that he resigns and has Pence pardon him, though who knows...

Not that it truly saves him from the New York lawsuit, but still...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Those who don't like Trump have come to expect it. Those who support Trump will either have been duped into thinking those pardons are noble or they'll just brush it off because Democrats are worse.

37 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Pardoning random murderers is a new low, even for trump. Cronies and rich businessmen, sure. Thats the trump we know and despise. But again, child killers? Are you for real? 

I used to think maybe Trump would lose his base if he did something really horrible like shooting a baby on Fifth Avenue in broad daylight, but it seems more and more like he would not. If Trump decides mowed down his own supporters in the front row of his rallies, while I would be a bit surprised if no one sued him, I do not think it would be shocking either since his base seems like they are willing to take an extremely high amount of abuse from him.

41 minutes ago, XRay said:

I used to think maybe Trump would lose his base if he did something really horrible like shooting a baby on Fifth Avenue in broad daylight, but it seems more and more like he would not. If Trump decides mowed down his own supporters in the front row of his rallies, while I would be a bit surprised if no one sued him, I do not think it would be shocking either since his base seems like they are willing to take an extremely high amount of abuse from him.

"Democrats are still worse. They're Satan worshippers who want to kill babies and protect pedophiles. Just look at that California law".

Oh believe me, everyone is NOT cool with convicted murderers walking.  But it's not like my complaints are going to change anything.  I spoke at the ballot box, and I sure as hell didn't vote for Trump!

Trumpism is a cult.  He has created the largest cult in the country, and he has the power of president.  Cults are as dangerous as it gets, they follow whatever their 'leader' says.  They will support Trump regardless of what he does.  They will be violent and murderous if need be.  

Trump isn't going away after the presidency, we all know of his ego and he will still have the biggest voice of the Republican Party.  He will sow division and destruction away from the oval office.  His cult will murder, riot and assault at his whim.  

13 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

That's the thing. I don't even fuckin know where to begin to talk about that. What is there to even talk about? He pardoned his cronies... just the most expected shit ever. I'm not saying this to argue against you or to nullify your point, just to emphasize that I'm just a gaslighted and abused husk right now and that's one of those things that just didn't register because he'd been exploring it for like four years.

It's like how a Canadian friend of mine was telling me "how do you think people on the outside will perceive McConnell not giving away checks?" and I said "what do you mean by outside? like in the south or what?" and they said "outside the US." Which a) that's the most blatantly american question i could've ever asked and b) I just never thought about how 2000 dollars in aid was a norm everywhere else, but McConnell obstructionism is a norm here we're entirely too used to because... he's a cunt. And we know he's a cunt. And we're only outraged now because we have a sliver of a chance of getting better relief, because a week or two ago I was singing a tune of "lol yeah fuck that." But now the entire world is seeing what we've been seeing for years and years and years upon years. And Cocaine Mitch weathering the storm somewhat...  although GA Republicans seem to be fucking losing based on /r/conservative... but I don't even know anymore. We're just too used to the shit state of our country.

9 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Pardoning random murderers is a new low, even for trump. Cronies and rich businessmen, sure. Thats the trump we know and despise. But again, child killers? Are you for real? 

This is the guy who wished Ghislaine Maxwell well.

Seriously, where the ever living fuck are those red hats from earlier in this thread? I know at least two are banned. I distinctly remember someone laughing because those damn ivory tower academics were punched down a peg or two. And "conservatives are tough" was another line I recall, except they pardon all their cronies after they lose an election lol. Do they just laugh at this thread? Are they just off the board because someone couldn't stand to be called out for wanting a Muslim ban because of the Pulse nightclub shooting? For a bunch of tough guys, they're sure unwilling to answer for their dear emperor.

Edited by Lord Raven

We (i.e. the "Never-Trumpers," as we were called) told ya the day he won the Republican nomination that he was a con-man and a crook unfit for public office, and that he would bring America to a place of weakness unimaginable from when Barrack Obama left office if given even a single term. 

If you had told me 4 years ago that the Trump presidency would end with an uncontrolled plague killing 3,000 people a day. Entire industries shutting down. Double-digit  real unemployment. Rioting, looting, and mass civil unrest in every major city in the country, and people holed up in their houses hording toilet paper.  

The only part that would surprise me is "and he's still leaving office with a 42% approval rating." 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Isn't there a word for when you've "burned out" on reading about bad things out in the world? So excuse me if I don't have the energy to be "angry enough" about the blackwater situation. Honestly I...assumed they would have been pardoned already by Bush. Because unlike a surprising amount of Americans, I didn't need more "evidence" that Trump makes for a poor leader. And my breaking point for caring was when he made the concentration camps. I stopped reading the news, and started counting the days to 2020.

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

If you had told me 4 years ago that the Trump presidency would end with an uncontrolled plague killing 3,000 people a day. Entire industries shutting down. Double-digit  real unemployment. Rioting, looting, and mass civil unrest in every major city in the country, and people holed up in their houses hording toilet paper.  

The only part that would surprise me is "and he's still leaving office with a 42% approval rating." 

Personally I remember confiding to people that Trump is scary, but will probably be removed from office after a year or two. Mainly because I felt like the GOP's goal with trump was to get him in, then removed in favor of President Pence. And Pence was more terrifying to me because he was the quintessential republican that does whatever he's told so long as it doesn't infringe on God's will. Nowadays we'd look at Trump and say he'd never take his impeachment laying down. But back then he seemed like any celebrity, willing to take a major payout and the PR fall because it was a pre-MeToo movement where nothing was remembered for more than two weeks. And the dude was clearly just running for office for the paycheck anyway - pay him off. So I guess the biggest surprise for me was that his ego wasn't for show. Oh and the plague is pretty surprising. Those don't just happen, in the twenty-first century, you know?

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Isn't there a word for when you've "burned out" on reading about bad things out in the world? So excuse me if I don't have the energy to be "angry enough" about the blackwater situation. Honestly I...assumed they would have been pardoned already by Bush. Because unlike a surprising amount of Americans, I didn't need more "evidence" that Trump makes for a poor leader. And my breaking point for caring was when he made the concentration camps. I stopped reading the news, and started counting the days to 2020.

I think the word is jaded.

Which is also something of a strategy sometimes. Make your opponent jaded enough to stop bothering in trying to stop you.

43 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Personally I remember confiding to people that Trump is scary, but will probably be removed from office after a year or two.

I expected Trump to be every bit as bad as he turned out to be.
I did not expect the rest of the elected Republicans to go along with it and submit to the Cult of Personality and let the GOP just collapse into The Party of Trump.

...when he stood in the White House and attempted to extort a foreign government into launching a criminal probe against his opponent in an upcoming general election.

...when he used ICE as a secret police force to black-bag American citizens off the streets and told the military to shoot protestors.

...when he called for journalists to be arrested and made terroristic threats against the governor of Michigan

...when he called a spreading plague a hoax and started spreading disinformation that the public health advisories were just democrat talking-points + called upon his followers to ignore and resist the medical reccomendations.

...when he declared himself the winner of an election that he lost and retweeted called for election officials certifying Biden's win to be executed for treason.

...those are the inflection points where I would have expected even the most dye-in-the-wool red-blooded Republicans to go "no no no; we don't do that in this country."

And they just--went along with it. The entire time.

Thats the part  that surprises me. I thought they were better then that.

Edited by Shoblongoo