General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know it's really late to ask this, but does the number of electoral votes depend on the size of the state? I just noticed that California has a lot more of them than any of the other states, and I am intregued as to why that is.

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So I know it's really late to ask this, but does the number of electoral votes depend on the size of the state? I just noticed that California has a lot more of them than any of the other states, and I am intregued as to why that is.

It depends on population.

It's no coincidence there were irregularities during the 2020 Census. It's in part related to this.

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It depends on their representation in Congress, which depends on their population. So 2 senators + however many representatives they have in the house with a minimum of one, which is why states like Vermont have 3 and the most populous state, California, has so many.

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So I know it's really late to ask this, but does the number of electoral votes depend on the size of the state? I just noticed that California has a lot more of them than any of the other states, and I am intrigued as to why that is.

It's based on the number of House representatives, which in turn, is based on the state's population.

On a side note, anyone else in the mood for party, 'cause I sure am! U.S.A.!

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-donald-trump-media-michael-flynn-social-media-f41b11060d7703e3a3136ddb5eefa055?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
U.S.A.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

>“Twitter is not about FREE SPEECH.”

>The president of the United States

> “Free speech does not include: To incite actions that would harm others (e.g., “Shout[ing] ‘fire’ in a crowded theater.”).
Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919).” -uscourts.gov

lol

Edited by Sooks

6 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Lord Raven, I am back here just to comment that it was Ana. While I do not condone her threatening suicide, she is still my friend, as she has been from before I joined SF. I hope you can agree that if someone was your friend, you would be more sympathetic to them. She was banned, from my understanding, for not backing out of heated arguments. But I would be lying if I said nobody egged her on and nobody stirred the pot.

Some of this is coming from the area I live in as well. Wyoming is a red state. My family, my neighbors. Trump supporters. So when you guys say some of these things about Trump supporters, you are indirectly saying these things about my family and neighbors. Step back a bit and try to see where I'm coming from. It does not matter if Crysta says "I don't care about your mom". She does not have to care about my mom or what my mom thinks, but imagine if you were on the recieving end.

It just feels like there is no gray area allowed here. You are either red or blue. You're not allowed to be purple. And heck, if you're red...well, good luck.

I'm going to pretend that you are absolutely being honest about compromise.  Which means it's time for a good, hard look in the mirror.  I suggest answering these questions on a piece of paper, far away from the Internet.

- What do you want out of your government?
- How do you want this done?
- What types of actions will cause you to vote out someone?
- What beliefs are you willing to compromise on?

It's probably not going to fall squarely on either of America's major political parties.  But that's okay!  I'm all for getting more parties into the government (though I haven't quite decided where I stand yet).  When 2024 is a little closer, there's quizzes online that can match your political beliefs with a candidate in a given race, so give those a whirl, too.  But first, I want America to be in a state where we don't have to worry about fascists taking over, which is why the Democratic party has my support for the time being.

1 minute ago, Lord Raven said:

@eclipse I think you and I can both sympathize how fucking hilarious it is to watch Trump ban evade. Makes any online moderator feel power over the president in this moment.

I'd be SO tempted to ban him with a very petty, rude message.  😛

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

So basically Trump is a teenager who gets their account banned and just creates an alt to get around the ban, right?

Teenager? More like prepubescent to me.

Okay, you TRUMPed my post. 

Edited by Karimlan

Fair point.

Amusing how people who probably haven't read Orwell refer to the banning of Trump's social media accounts as a prelude to 1984. Read Popper, you idiots.

At this point, I really do hope we get out of the next week safely. I really have no idea what will happen. I didn't expect the permanent ban this soon.

2 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

Fair point.

Amusing how people who probably haven't read Orwell refer to the banning of Trump's social media accounts as a prelude to 1984. Read Popper, you idiots.

You say people, but I know you're talking about Trump Jr.

Edited by Lord Raven

3 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

At this point, I really do hope we get out of the next week safely. I really have no idea what will happen. I didn't expect the permanent ban this soon.

Next two weeks.  How the FBI moves this week will determine how smoothly the inauguration goes.  And I honestly hope the worst thing about the inauguration is that Biden mixes up a "of" and "or" or something.

@Lord Raven: Not only him, but other small men and women, all the more financially bloated yet morally bankrupt.

Thing is, whenever you see similar rhetoric paraded about, it's usually done as a means to an end, thinking that you'd silence debate, when in fact, it invites more debate. Marx's "opium of the people" isn't the only misunderstood quote he has, there's another one: DE OMNIBVS DVBITANDVM (or DISPVTANDVM, depending on which book you're reading. Okay, It's Descartes, but Marx would've had no problem copping it).

Edited by Karimlan

Oh my goodness.  Can Twitter tell him that his account is suspended for 12 hours, let it stay active until he posts, then suspend it again for 12 hours?  Repeatedly?

He might have access to the Trump War Room Twitter as well. I hope he uses it and gets it banned.

What I wouldn’t give to see how the folks over at Twitter are reacting behind their screens...

Edit: I was under the impression he got suspended once, came back and immediately did the same thing we suspended for, and then got banned.

Edited by Sooks

My following comment may be in very poor taste, but:

Before the days of votes being stolen, what about the days of votes still being suppressed and voter purges. I can't wait to get back to that reckoning in which Republic attempts to craft new legislation to prevent all these people who came out to vote in record numbers in the 2020 electron. People don't trust the election because we keep claiming there is fraud even though we still can't prove it. 

Remember the good old days in 2018 and 2019 which mass shooting were a thing. Parents were terrorized that their kids could be the next victims of reckless gun usage in the hand of a equally disturbed person.

What did ever happen to the dangerous caravan that forced Trump to go on live television and declare a national emergy? Oh wait, I'm sorry. It was so urgent that Trump didn't have time to add three letters to make it "emergency". True story bro.

The thousands of kids separated from their parents on the southern border, many of whom will probably never see them again. I guess adaptation a route or we can just deport them back without their parents. Also, ICE! Remember ICE!!

It's ashamed news about Uighur Muslims being repressed by China & being sent to concentration camps never broke into USA mainstream. But, HONG KONG!!!

EDIT: Frick, I forgot to include NET Neutrality.

Edited by Clear World

2 minutes ago, Clear World said:

It's ashamed news about Uighur Muslims being repressed by China & being sent to concentration camps never broke into USA mainstream. But, HONG KONG people. HONG KONG!!!

this tbh. but its not like USA is a charity nation that really care outside their own problem unless theres benefit to it just like any other big nation