General US Politics

Ansem

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

@Shoblongoo In your professional opinion, what do you think about Dominion's 1.3 billion dollar defamation lawsuit against Sidney Powell? Is it a sure thing, or will she be able to wriggle out of it somehow?

I’m working on a defamation case right now and these things are damn near impossible for plaintiffs to win in all but the most egregious cases. It’s a tough one

Edited by Shoblongoo

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

@Shoblongoo In your professional opinion, what do you think about Dominion's 1.3 billion dollar defamation lawsuit against Sidney Powell? Is it a sure thing, or will she be able to wriggle out of it somehow?

They've also thrown one of those lawsuits at Mike Lindell, My Pillow CEO. He told them to ''bring it on'', as they've got 100% proof that they helped commit election fraud or some shit.

Tomorrow is the last day. Pray that in his last round of pardons, the president is feeling particularly vindictive of his allies that abandoned him in the last few months. Then afterward we dare to hope for something better. Four years ago it became clear just how lost this country is. I was worried that "the next 4 years are more than enough to rewind the previous 8", but I wasn't mentally prepared for the loss of life. On behalf of 400,000 who didn't make it, we need to do better.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

I don’t know if there’s anything to it or if it’s just a dumb Internet rumor

But I keep hearing people say he’s going to pardon Joe Exotic 

From what I recall on that it's the internet that is compelling him to pardon Joe Exotic, I think maybe there was a petition or a retweet or something (in fact I think maybe it was old Joe who came up with the idea himself and his fans ran with it) which Trump basically just acknowledged it by saying he'd look into a case. Which sounds like an offhand dismissal, but Trump be Trump so who knows (personally I think it'd be hilarious if he did, but amusing me generally isn't good politics). So basically, not really a baseless rumor, but also not really a thing either.

EDIT: Actually I thought he was asked on Twitter but it turns out he was asked in person. Which means there's even less credibility to give much credence to anything he says as he has to say something when asked a question, so something like "I'll look into it" is the most dismissive thing you could say without stating an unthought opinion on something you might know nothing about.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So its Donald's final day in office. Lets see what horrible things he's going to do today. 

I am surprised he has not left the country yet, although I guess he technically has no where else to go since I assume most of his assets are tied up here.

16 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am surprised he has not left the country yet, although I guess he technically has no where else to go since I assume most of his assets are tied up here.

Well, two weeks ago he tried to schedule a trip to Scotland for today, but it was denied.

That said, his claims of leaving for Florida tomorrow are the ones currently under watch.

On 1/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, Shoblongoo said:

The spectacle of the attack on the capital and the sheer brass balls of the attempted power grab have backfired so hard on republicans, it’s giving progressives some breathing room they didn’t have before to just go for the jugular.

...like...

I think full legal status + voting rights for the ~11 million immigrants without legal status currently in the country might actually be a thing we can do in the next 2 years now.

There's enough energy on the Democratic side behind "ohhhhhhhh? The Republicans say this is an assault on law-and-order and a bad-faith attempt to pack the electorate with Democrat voters? Cool. Cool. They just tried to declare themselves the winners of an election that they lost and stop the lawful transition of power to the next President of the United States--fuck em."

I really doubt this would happen at all. I definitely wish it would, but the democrats are relatively spineless. Biden is already planning to work with republicans to pass a stimulus bill, even though he has no need to. If that isn't an indicator of what will happen in the future, I don't know what is.

I'm not going to complain if the Republicans suddenly find their moral compasses and work towards a better America for all (hahahaha).  But I also want a bunch of "coup participation" trophies, and by that, I mean the full extent of the law against those guys.  Including those that may have been elected.  The former without the latter is spineless.

So I've posted at several times about this already, but can we get that poll changed? It's from the election four years ago...Unless way more people here are more upset about Trump losing that they're being vocal about it.

So just a removal of the poll, then?

---

Also, looks like it has begun:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-pardons-former-top-strategist-steve-bannon-defying-white-house-lawyers-report-says?ref=scroll

Edited by Acacia Sgt

If there's any consolation, you might end up having the GOP fracture soon enough:

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-considers-starting-new-patriot-party-wsj-2021-1?r=MX&IR=T

Worst case scenario, most switch to the new party, thus not changing much at all. On the other hand, this decision might lead to some more-loyal-to-the-party-than-Trump GOP Senators to go ahead and convict him, and bar him from reelection. But admittedly, that might be wishful thinking. Still, this fracture might mean neither GOP or this possible Patriot Party get to win much of anything short-term.

It'll excise the "not-so-silent" parts.  But the GOP has had issues well before Trump, and those need to go post-haste as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to their old ways, which is a lot of the things they were doing under Trump, but not being obnoxiously loud about it.

Paul Erickson – President Trump has issued a full pardon to Paul Erikson. This pardon is supported by Kellyanne Conway. Mr. Erickson’s conviction was based off the Russian collusion hoax. After finding no grounds to charge him with any crimes with respect to connections with Russia, he was charged with a minor financial crime. Although the Department of Justice sought a lesser sentence, Mr. Erickson was sentenced to 7 years’ imprisonment—nearly double the Department of Justice’s recommended maximum sentence. This pardon helps right the wrongs of what has been revealed to be perhaps the greatest witch hunt in American History

This pardon is A+

The evil is gone!!!!! Now we can finally stop reading twitter to figure out what the fuck our president is thinking. We can just yell at him to do shit instead

Edited by Lord Raven

12 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

The evil is gone!!!!! Now we can finally stop reading twitter to figure out what the fuck our president is thinking. We can just yell at him to do shit instead

No, Mitch and Lindsey are still there.  Heard an interview with Lindsey during the inauguration that went something like this:

Reporter: Will you apologize for what has happened?  (or something to this effect)
Lindsey: Why would I apologize?

Meanwhile, Fox said something along the lines of "whether this nation heals will depend on Biden".  We have a long road ahead of us.  Biden is president, but the evil remains.

I know there is midterms in 2022, another presidential election in 2024 which Trump may return, but for now we should celebrate and enjoy.  If not for Covid restrictions I'd be partying in the city.  Biden and Harris made it to inauguration day, and have been sworn in.  

I'm more happy this inauguration day than any other, even Obama which gave hope to minorities that they could be President too and how strong a candidate he was, that is cause now Trump is no longer in charge.  He is a civilian, yes a former president with money, but he isn't much different from any other super rich guy.  No need to worry about what crazy thing he will do next, he isn't President anymore.  Tweets, accusations, insults?  Same as Rush Limbaugh or any other big media voice.  No executive orders to worry about, and those he passed most will be rescinded by Biden.  Clean air and water again, protection for our lands and animals/plants.  Healthcare won't be taken away, food stamps won't be taken away.  The ridiculous wall, or economically destructive tax cuts, and a madman who has an iron grip on one of the two major parties that is gone.  

Celebrate how you can, this is a great day of joy.  Yes the GOP is still there, and there are problematic leaders within it, however the Democrats control the House, the Senate and the Presidency....Trump is out of office and will face countless lawsuits without the immunity he had as President.  I'm envious of those in warmer states, I'm sure grand outdoor celebrations, here in Chicago with snow and 20 degree Farenheit weather there won't be as much of that.  

The upside is that the First Lady seems to have a sense of humor.  One of the inauguration gifts were heavy vases - like, "throw this and break a wall down" heavy.  The person introducing the gift said that Jill could probably lift them.  Jill flexed when she heard that.  Got a good chuckle out of it.