General US Politics

Ansem

Didn't even take a week. God's got a sense of humor, alright. By the way, shout outs to the people here expressing skepticism when I mentioned a year ago there was a rise in anti-asian sentiment egged on by republicans calling it the China Virus. Now that the country has opened up, we're seeing words spring into action. Just like we're seeing an end to the one-year break of mass shootings we've been enjoying.

3 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

It's just not a crazy man and his toadies' rambling anymore. There's still a lot of stuff happening. People getting fired left, right, and center, DeJoy about to get ousted as postmaster general, ICE receiving special attention, and DOJ going after the insurrectionists harder than the previous admin.

This is what folks freaking out before Inauguration didn't get. Just because Biden wasn't calling for war against his political opponents doesn't mean he was gearing up to roll over for their agendas, and pardon Trump or whatever. Any front-facing action can be used as ammunition by fascist pundits to claim that there's foul play. But these guys are remarkably bad about looking after their own, they probably don't even understand how they're losing, or why. Discretion seems to be working for the moment. Payback is nice to watch, but we still need election reform. Right now, a lot of states are hastily adding restrictions on voting. I'm told Georgia's changes in particular would make a 2020-level turnout impossible in the future, for instance. Voter suppression has been a priority for red states since long before Trump, and they need to be stopped.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:
By the way, shout outs to the people here expressing skepticism when I mentioned a year ago there was a rise in anti-asian sentiment egged on by republicans calling it the China Virus. 

There was skepticism of this? In this thread?

59 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

There was skepticism of this? In this thread?

No, the COVID thread. 

Here, here, and here. Debatably more from some other users before mod action was threatened. I also didn't care for Eclipse demanding a source with a racism "metric" that doesn't exist in a country that routinely omits elements of race in its criminal justice proceedings, as seen by last week's "he was having a bad day" narrative. Looks like I held my tongue on that one though. I don't like stirring up worthless drama, but all my life I'd have to "cover" for the sick shit that comes out of other peoples' mouths. I'd rather be an asshole than be tolerant of that.

Edited by Glennstavos

I mean sure, at the time there probably was little to no data but the notion that the orange clown and the rest of his Republican circus calling it the China virus wouldn't lead towards an increase is just silly. Stoking animosity towards specific groups of people is what the right does best in this country. Just watch, they'll exploit the fact that the recent Colorado shooter is Syrian American.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

No, the COVID thread. 

Here, here, and here. Debatably more from some other users before mod action was threatened. I also didn't care for Eclipse demanding a source with a racism "metric" that doesn't exist in a country that routinely omits elements of race in its criminal justice proceedings, as seen by last week's "he was having a bad day" narrative. Looks like I held my tongue on that one though. I don't like stirring up worthless drama, but all my life I'd have to "cover" for the sick shit that comes out of other peoples' mouths. I'd rather be an asshole than be tolerant of that.

So, two things:

1. If you're going to make a claim, be prepared to back it up.  It's in the sticky.  I'm not here to listen to anyone shoot their damn mouth off for the sake of shooting their damn mouth off.  If something truly doesn't exist, at least try to find something to explain how/why the source doesn't exist (in this specific case, a couple of large city's worth of crime stats would've done it).
2. I can warn you for being an asshole, if the situation warrants it.  I can't warn you if you hold your tongue.

If stupid people are affecting you that badly, distance yourself from them.  It's better for your long-term mental health, because you can't control the stupid that comes out of other people's mouths.  You CAN control whether or not you're going to be exposed to it, as well as how you react to it.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

So, two things:

1. If you're going to make a claim, be prepared to back it up.  
2. I can warn you for being an asshole, if the situation warrants it.  I can't warn you if you hold your tongue.

Holding my tongue means not backing up the claim. I was asked for evidence just now. And I provided it. That's what I mean about being an asshole as opposed to keeping quiet. I knew my answer was guaranteed to get this reaction from somebody.

I don't think looking up sources should 100% be the responsibility of whoever is making the claim: there's been instances here where someone claims x, I doubt x but I'm not 100% sure, so I go try to find sources stating what they're claiming myself because I'm not really just trying to win in debate thunderdome.

9 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Just watch, they'll exploit the fact that the recent Colorado shooter is Syrian American.

I have a Gab account for shitposting and there was only one story about the shooting in the popular threads feed the day of and it was a conspiracy thread. After this revelation came through, that's all they were talking about. You really, really don't need to read studies or metrics to predict typical human behavior.

15 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Holding my tongue means not backing up the claim. I was asked for evidence just now. And I provided it. That's what I mean about being an asshole as opposed to keeping quiet. I knew my answer was guaranteed to get this reaction from somebody.

Thank you for modifying my quote to take out the context in which I answered you, don't do it again.  That's both an asshole move and intellectually dishonest.  If you're trying to tout yourself as better than that, then I expect you to act in such a manner.

10 hours ago, Crysta said:

I don't think looking up sources should 100% be the responsibility of whoever is making the claim: there's been instances here where someone claims x, I doubt x but I'm not 100% sure, so I go try to find sources stating what they're claiming myself because I'm not really just trying to win in debate thunderdome.

I can parse the first part, but not the second part, so I'm not sure how to answer this.

10 hours ago, Crysta said:

I have a Gab account for shitposting and there was only one story about the shooting in the popular threads feed the day of and it was a conspiracy thread. After this revelation came through, that's all they were talking about. You really, really don't need to read studies or metrics to predict typical human behavior.

The shooting was dismissed as a false flag literally hours after it happened.  Those guys aren't exactly reasonable.

It was more of a commentary on how dismissive and eager they were to discredit the story when they thought it was a white guy who was the perp versus how (predictably) happy and thrilled they were to suddenly start talking about it when the perp was identified as a brown person.

Edited by Crysta

The Derek Chauvin's trial for the death of George Floyd started today and it's being livestreamed.

For anyone interested, here's one link of many (which you can easily find if you search it): CBS Live Coverage

A brief summary for anyone who is unware what this is: This case is about a cop (along with three other officers who were present) who knelt on Floyd's neck for around 9 minutes while Floyd was handcuffed, pinned face down on the street by the cops while calling out "I can't breath" until he eventually he became motionless and silent. Floyd was later pronounced dead after being taken by medics. This death sparked the Black Live Matter movement & along with the push for major police accountability/reform/defunding during the summer of 2020.

Edited by Clear World

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, Clear World said:

The Derek Chauvin's trial for the death of George Floyd started today and it's being livestreamed.

For anyone interested, here's one link of many (which you can easily find if you search it): CBS Live Coverage

A brief summary for anyone who is unware what this is: This case is about a cop (along with three other officers who were present) who knelt on Floyd's neck for around 9 minutes while Floyd was handcuffed, pinned face down on the street by the cops while calling out "I can't breath" until he eventually he became motionless and silent. Floyd was later pronounced dead after being taken by medics. This death sparked the Black Live Matter movement & along with the push for major police accountability/reform/defunding during the summer of 2020.

Well, the jury is supposed to deliver a verdict, today. Hopefully their decision doesn't result in a riot from the public.

3 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, the jury is supposed to deliver a verdict, today. Hopefully their decision doesn't result in a riot from the public.

Am I an extremist if a part of me wants the jury to find him innocent so that there is a massive massive riot? Because listening to the trial and hearing the prosecution do everything in the power to distance Derek from typical  police behavior... I kind of want something more.

Edited by Clear World

39 minutes ago, Clear World said:

Am I an extremist if a part of me wants the jury to find him innocent so that there is a massive massive riot? Because listening to the trial and hearing the prosecution do everything in the power to distance Derek from typical  police behavior... I kind of want something more.

I'm just waiting for them to admit how Floyd died.

I'm in the camp where he died from the drugs in his system.

45 minutes ago, Clear World said:

Violent revolution sounds nice until there's bodies in front of your house.  And those bodies have faces that you recognize.

All I want is the unedited transcript from this trial as well as the exhibits, fully public.  That should be far more interesting than anyone else's interpretation.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Violent revolution sounds nice until there's bodies in front of your house.  And those bodies have faces that you recognize.

All I want is the unedited transcript from this trial as well as the exhibits, fully public.  That should be far more interesting than anyone else's interpretation.

Are you sure about that? Because the first few days or so was a bit of an circus. Like a woman taking a picture in the courtroom and the judge reprimanding her about it. 

But I kind  of feel bad about the jurors, though. 

Edited by Armchair General

2 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Are you sure about that? Because the first few days or so was a bit of an circus. Like a woman taking a picture in the courtroom and the judge reprimanding her about it.

Have you read full trial transcripts before?  And have whatever the court deemed was permissible evidence?  It can be quite fascinating!

Just now, eclipse said:

Have you read full trial transcripts before?  And have whatever the court deemed was permissible evidence?  It can be quite fascinating!

I would, but I'm not really in a position to be paying to read court records. Granted, that this is being streamed on YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

I would, but I'm not really in a position to be paying to read court records. Granted, that this is being streamed on YouTube.

That's the rub.  I think that for cases that capture media attention like this, everything should be freely available to the public.  I'm sure there's some arguments as to why they shouldn't, though.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I feel like it’s pretty darn optimistic to feel there’s a potential for there to not be a riot, regardless of the result. 

If the far-right wants to instigate a riot after seeing the response on January 6, that's on them for being slow learners (assuming any sort of verdict that they're not happy with).  If the left wants to do the same, then I'd like to point towards what happened during BLM.

Both should be deterrents.  I fear neither will be.

Edited by eclipse

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Not funny, but I actually do live in the area. The recent death of Daunte Wright due to a cop mistaken a gun for a taser only happened a few blocks away from where I live.

But as I said, only a part of me want that outcome. I rather see massive police reform & reduction, with money be allocated to other social services, without the need of riot/protest... but...

If the left wants to do the same, then I'd like to point towards what happened during BLM.

Sorry, what do you mean what happened? The backlash?

Both should be deterrents.  I fear neither will be.

Yes I agree.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If the far-right wants to instigate a riot after seeing the response on January 6, that's on them for being slow learners (assuming any sort of verdict that they're not happy with). 

Thinking that someone on the far-right could not be a slow learner? 😛