General US Politics

Ansem

Meanwhile, Georgia greenlighted another audit of the 2020 Election results.

On the other hand, they don't get to touch the actual ballots this time.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

Not even the Republican party would stoop that low, they aren't that extreme. You bring up Nazi Germany, but conveniently forget that the Left has also done the same in the past, as seen in the USSR under Stalin and his successors.

whataboutism is a widespread Russian propaganda tool 🙂

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Unsurprisingly, the vote to open the commission on the Jan.6 probe fails to pass the filibuster.

"Whats that? You don't think you have a good enough pitch to get rid of the filibuster? Here's a gift. I want you to have this."

-Republicans For Some Reason- 

So obvious that eleven senators didn't even bothered to show up to vote. Tally was 54-35.

10 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

"Whats that? You don't think you have a good enough pitch to get rid of the filibuster? Here's a gift. I want you to have this."

-Republicans For Some Reason- 

Likely Manchin: "No, I don't think I will."

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Like I get that Joe Biden has been in Washington for so long and has so many old relationships with Republican Senators going back decades and decades that he thought the strength of his interpersonal relationships would be enough to overcome the current climate of partisanship.

And I get that he wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt they were only acting the way they were acting because they were playing Follow-the-Leader. (i.e. that they would behave better and go back to being the old Republican Party once Trump was out of office)

...but Republicans have made it abundantly clear now they intend to obstruct everything Biden brings to the table...

Not even just on the hot-button issues like immigration and healthcare; everything down to the banality of infrastructure spending and stimulus checks is scorched earth political blitzkrieg.

Their calls for bipartisanship are not coming from a place of good faith.

And whatever he hoped he might be able to do with them coming in; Biden has to be aware of this now. 

There's no middle road here.

Democrats have to just govern as Democrats and shut Republicans out of the process if they want to get anything done.

I mean, not that long ago McConnell just outright stated he'd focus on blocking everything that came from the Biden administration. And long has the Republicans put their own party and own people over the entirety of their country, so...

So, assuming that Schumer goes ahead and brings HR-1 to the floor by the end of the month and it fails, is it then fair to say that the end of June is the end of the line for hopes that November 2024 won't result in authoritarianism? How much legislation gets done in the fall and winter and then the spring of the year of a midterm, which Democrats are almost certain to lose?

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

We're looking at something worse.  Check out the potential candidates so far!

Not surprising, most unfortunately. The soon-to-be petty leadership of Hungarian America, or Indian America, or perhaps -and I shouldn't hope for less-bad- Gilded Age America 2.0, which is one of the more "benevolent" outcomes I've heard of. Now, how old will I be when the regime ends? 70, meaning about ~40 years, or will I be ashes? 

I once had a professor from Nigeria, a not functioning democracy. Now if I could, I would want to ask him- how do people manage to ever smile through illiberal or outright dictatorial regimes? I mean humanity has had to for most of it existence, but no amount of acceptance of the seeming inevitable has worked to ease my nerves, I still feel like laying in bed all day too often.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not surprising, most unfortunately. The soon-to-be petty leadership of Hungarian America, or Indian America, or perhaps -and I shouldn't hope for less-bad- Gilded Age America 2.0, which is one of the more "benevolent" outcomes I've heard of. Now, how old will I be when the regime ends? 70, meaning about ~40 years, or will I be ashes? 

I once had a professor from Nigeria, a not functioning democracy. Now if I could, I would want to ask him- how do people manage to ever smile through illiberal or outright dictatorial regimes? I mean humanity has had to for most of it existence, but no amount of acceptance of the seeming inevitable has worked to ease my nerves, I still feel like laying in bed all day too often.

It's backsliding, and I doubt it's going to stop short of a lot of people voting country over party.  Laws need to be changed to prevent this sort of crap from happening again, but as long as the Republican party has any sort of foothold, nothing of importance will get done.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How much legislation gets done in the fall and winter and then the spring of the year of a midterm, which Democrats are almost certain to lose?

Little to none? I mean, Democrats are stuck between the Filibuster in one corner, and uncooperative senators like Manchin and Sinema in the other...

51 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Wait, ain't QAnon an hoax or something?

More of a conspiracy theory. QAnon is a conspiracy theory revolving around claims by a poster called Q on 4chan (a forum) who claims to be high up in the government and that said government is run by a group of satanic pedophiles running a child sex trafficking ring. Who’s in this group? Basically every prominent, recent democratic politician (and some liberal celebrities, as well as basically everyone controlling the “liberal media”). Q alleges that Trump was recruited by top military officials to run for president to stop the members of this “deep state”, that he was leading a military operation against them and that they have been conspiring against him ever since. QAnon supporters rally around Trump as a hero and good, while this deep state are evil. Now, of course, there is absolutely no evidence for any of this but people eat it up, because of course they do.

Though that’s far from all QAnon claims, there is way, way too much to go over in one post. If you dig online you can find much more, but that is the core of it.

In recent years QAnon has become more relevant with a quite a few Republican politicians supporting it and the conspiracy theory growing in general. It’s also causing a lot of dangerous acts, a lot of QAnon supporters participated in January 6th’s insurrection, for example.

If you're going to "research" QAnon, do so from a distance (look for a summary of it, don't try to piece it together yourself).

1 hour ago, Teeheeooks said:

More of a conspiracy theory. QAnon is a conspiracy theory revolving around claims by a poster called Q on 4chan (a forum) who claims to be high up in the government and that said government is run by a group of satanic pedophiles running a child sex trafficking ring. Who’s in this group? Basically every prominent, recent democratic politician (and some liberal celebrities, as well as basically everyone controlling the “liberal media”). Q alleges that Trump was recruited by top military officials to run for president to stop the members of this “deep state”, that he was leading a military operation against them and that they have been conspiring against him ever since. QAnon supporters rally around Trump as a hero and good, while this deep state are evil. Now, of course, there is absolutely no evidence for any of this but people eat it up, because of course they do.

Though that’s far from all QAnon claims, there is way, way too much to go over in one post. If you dig online you can find much more, but that is the core of it.

In recent years QAnon has become more relevant with a quite a few Republican politicians supporting it and the conspiracy theory growing in general. It’s also causing a lot of dangerous acts, a lot of QAnon supporters participated in January 6th’s insurrection, for example.

It's a pretty shitty deep state if they can only gain control of one side of a two party system.

11 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Wait, ain't QAnon an hoax or something?

Qanon is 4chan bullshit getting mainstreamed thanks to facebook, reddit and twitter

It might be a joke to some, but the jan 6th attack on the capitol says otherwise for at least a part of the movement or whatever the hell it is.

13 hours ago, Teeheeooks said:

Who in the fuck would buy into anything political on 4chan? I mean, it's already been established that  they're up to no good with the various pranks that happened over the years.

Edited by Armchair General

16 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Who in the fuck would buy into anything political on 4chan? I mean, it's already been established that  they're up to no good with the various pranks that happened over the years.

I don't have a study or something to back this up, but i think, some people rarely look into the origins and veracity of rumours, ideas, supposed things that happened, opinions and stuff stated as fact that are spread on the internet. From experience talking to some people irl and online, some people act as if they see it on twitter, then for all intents and purposes it originated in twitter. Disregarding the fact that it might have spread on twitter but the source is from somewhere else.

Edited by Zanarkin

2 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Some in the Republican base. Marjorie Taylor Greene is in congress. Doesn't matter what's been established, folks these days just want to keep hearing more of what they want to hear.

15 hours ago, Armchair General said:

A lot of people, actually. Most of them at least reasonably intelligent.

I saw that. RIP American Democracy in 2024. As the saying goes, all it takes for evil to win, is for good people to do nothing.

Now, when will the rest follow? I heard Spain had an immigration incident in the past few days that will likely propel the far right ahead there. The epitaph is just going to get longer, it isn't a question of if, but when at this point. I just hope everyone can stay safe through the coming dark age of illiberalism. Will it be 30 years, or 300?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer