General US Politics

Ansem

23 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Well, the state of Ohio is trying to classify Google as an public utility on the basis that everyone uses it and the company is monopolizing search results.

I haven't opened the article, but if the state is ran by the Banana Republican Party (wonderful name to jab it with), then I'll assume authoritarianism is at play. I read earlier today that it turns out the Republicans are starting to lose their laissez-faire capitalism leanings in favor of regulation -for the sake of forcing social media to promote their far-right views and ban views that dissent from that.😧 And here, I thought for a moment we wouldn't get thwacked with Chinese-styled government control of the Internet.

Still, I feel the tiniest bit of "this is what big business gets for backing evil all these years", your money and horrible regard for labor helped bring this county to where it is. But I would be very concerned if Bezos suddenly "disappeared" like that Jack Ma did over in China recently IIRC.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there's some grain of truth to the manipulative algorithms, it's so easy to turn the "discriminatory and anti-competitive" line into a counterargument against any political party. I haven't heard of voter suppression firestorms like in Georgia and Texas but if they've been enacting similar legislation in Ohio they've given Google fire to play with.

Also Trump has been talking about being reinstated some time in August... scary thought what that might imply but another insurrection is more likely to go poorly for him than well.

40 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Also Trump has been talking about being reinstated some time in August... scary thought what that might imply but another insurrection is more likely to go poorly for him than well.

I'm getting a deja vu. Didn't he also say he'd be reinstated in march? 

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm getting a deja vu. Didn't he also say he'd be reinstated in march? 

And back in like February, and during Inauguration.

It's the same old "move the goalposts" stunt, nothing new.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And back in like February, and during Inauguration.

It's the same old "move the goalposts" stunt, nothing new.

It's not a terrible tactic though. He's keeping hope maintained in his fan base and keeping himself in their public eye. Pretty soon it'll turn from "I'm being reinstated" to "Trump 2024".

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's not a terrible tactic though. He's keeping hope maintained in his fan base and keeping himself in their public eye. Pretty soon it'll turn from "I'm being reinstated" to "Trump 2024".

Still a sad reflection of things, however.

They'll conveniently forget the whole "I am still president" bit just so they avoid answering to "If he claims that, then he can't run in 2024 since that'd be a third term".

Then again, even before 2020 he was "joking" he was owed a third term.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

13 hours ago, eclipse said:

They can start by making the Internet a public utility.

IIRC, it kind of is one, in some states, in the sense that ISPs are bound to most of the rules that other public utilities are bound to and that a lot of people use the internet.  

Crime rates are rising everywhere last time I checked.

Conservatives are suddenly very sympathetic to people refusing to do their jobs and still getting paid.

Though I guess these guys at least quit?

Edited by Crysta

7 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

It's a little bit of people quitting because they're tired of handling the nightly protests and the fact that a unit who was dedicated to fighting gangs was disbanded.

I'm fine with quitting if the job gets too tough. Worked in customer service for 6+ years -- never again.

But I think they can probably move some of the money away from tanks and robot dogs, personally.

The sad thing is that the threats can end up working. Not just with officials, but also to the candidates themselves.

Since apparently that's how MTG got her seat. The Democratic candidate got sent enough threats, it scared his wife into filing for divorce, and the guy for economic reasons had to move out of state (as divorce ain't cheap or so), thus forfeiting pretty much.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 hours ago, eclipse said:

Death threats to election officials.  I don't support attacks on democracy, full stop.  Which includes attempting to shift the narrative about the election and subsequent events.

It kind of makes you wonder what's going through the heads of these people. Sure, Trump has lost the election, and he would have had a fair shot at running again in four years if he had kept his mouth shut. 

But what these people don't realize is that the feds will be knocking on their door if they keep pushing this.

3 hours ago, Armchair General said:

It kind of makes you wonder what's going through the heads of these people. Sure, Trump has lost the election, and he would have had a fair shot at running again in four years if he had kept his mouth shut. 

But what these people don't realize is that the feds will be knocking on their door if they keep pushing this.

The only reason the feds are so slow to act is because the perpetrators are probably white. If the perpetrators were black or brown, they would have been in prison by now.

Until not very long ago, the DoJ was filled with Trump appointees who had an interest in doing nothing, and the DoJ is also busy with prosecuting people involved with the jan 6th insurrection.

Also not sure if threatening election workers can/will be prosecuted under state or federal statute.

Since the city of Baltimore are neglecting to do their jobs, several businesses are withholding their taxes in hopes that the city will fulfill their responsibilities.

It kind of reminds me of my last trip to San Diego, in a way. One minute, there's hardly anything out of the ordinary and the next street reeks of urine and the sidewalk is piled with the belongings of several people. 

Edited by Armchair General

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since going green is a growing trend, several states have limited the amount of energy they use by imposing bans on certain types of hardware found in high-end PCs.

Or at the very least, Dell is preemptively refusing to sell their more expensive bits to these states. But you should only be concerned if you're into modding PCs or setting up your gaming rig. I'm not sure if it locks the residents out of playing the latest edition of Company of Heroes on the highest settings, though.

Edited by Armchair General

8 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Since going green is a growing trend, several states have limited the amount of energy they use by imposing bans on certain types of hardware found in high-end PCs.

Or at the very least, Dell is preemptively refusing to sell their more expensive bits to these states. But you should only be concerned if you're into modding PCs or setting up your gaming rig. I'm not sure if it locks the residents out of playing the latest edition of Company of Heroes on the highest settings, though.

That seems like a move that's just going to piss off a small number of enthusiasts without making any major differences. Though given how the the US works and the kind of people involved, simply getting them transported across state lines will probably happen regardless.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

That seems like a move that's just going to piss off a small number of enthusiasts without making any major differences. Though given how the the US works and the kind of people involved, simply getting them transported across state lines will probably happen regardless.

Honestly, it's a simple as getting it mailed to a friend in another state and having mailed directly to you. As far as I know, there's hardly any restrictions on mailing electronic hardware.

With 67 votes, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill proceeds into Cloture. That said, the Democrats' plan to do this and employ Reconciliation on the much larger partisan package might hit a bump since Senator Sinema has expressed being against the latter as it currently stands.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senators-reach-deal-major-points-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-2021-07-28/
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/565304-sinema-says-she-opposes-35t-price-tag-for-spending-bill

Edited by Acacia Sgt