Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

In all fairness.

Half the reasons Americans are as fucked up as we are is we use to be Brits 

Bit reductive. While the 13 colonies might have been British, the USA as it is today is made up of former Spanish, French and Russian colonies in addition to Britain. There was even a pretty significant Dutch presence in the early days (*tips hat to Van Buren*). Course the amount of people living in any of those colonies, Britain included, pales compared to the number of immigrants the nation has received over the centuries.  I've heard one point made by the black empowerment crowd that African Americans by and large have been in America longer than most white American bloodlines. Now that being said, there is some truth to the statement if one focuses just on the people in charge of the USA. It's pretty clear that the centuries of increased diversity hasn't really shifted the political power away from the initial WASPs. Biden's only the second Catholic president despite a good fifth of the nation being Catholic (and hence likely of Irish/Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/Polish descent). Even Barrack Obama, celebrated as the first black president isn't African American in heritage.

Edited by Jotari

Not even most British conservatives would like Trump - he had something like a 15% approval in the UK late 2020 (on par with Russian and China leadership) and it might be even lower now.

You'll find most right-wingers generally don't like other right-wingers from other countries. Probably because they have no interest in working together as they want to be nationalist, to the exclusion of other countries.

(With the exception, I've found, that some seem to think strongman antics are commendable. Republicans seem to idolise Putin because they want the US to be the same)

Edited by Tryhard

54 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Even Barrack Obama, celebrated as the first black president isn't African American in heritage.

The "one drop rule" means he does, mixed race is black in America, the spectrum doesn't exist as in Latin America.

Or, are you referring to what I once heard described in a textbook as "Neo-African Americans"? Meaning, modern African immigrants to the United States who came of their own free will, without being the descendant of slaves. Might, on based on some criteria, I do not know which, be somewhat better off economically than contemporary non-Neo African Americans. -But do certain elements of the white population notice or really care about the difference?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The "one drop rule" means he does, mixed race is black in America, the spectrum doesn't exist as in Latin America.

Or, are you referring to what I once heard described in a textbook as "Neo-African Americans"? Meaning, modern African immigrants to the United States who came of their own free will, without being the descendant of slaves. Might, on based on some criteria, I do not know which, be somewhat better off economically than contemporary non-Neo African Americans. -But do certain elements of the white population notice or really care about the difference?

They don't, but there's a major difference in upbringing too.

Neo-African Americans (I just say African immigrants) are culturally way closer to like south or east asians.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or, are you referring to what I once heard described in a textbook as "Neo-African Americans"? Meaning, modern African immigrants to the United States who came of their own free will, without being the descendant of slaves. Might, on based on some criteria, I do not know which, be somewhat better off economically than contemporary non-Neo African Americans.

Yeah, I'm referring to the fact that he isn't descended from slaves who were brought to the Americas centuries ago and have developed their own cultural identity distinct form Africa in the intervening years. It's less about economics though, as you can get rich and poor people of any group, but more about ethnicity (though of course, even there, Obama didn't really know his father all that well so all he really inherited was genetics from him).

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-But do certain elements of the white population notice or really care about the difference?

No, most people just see Obama as black and that's it. Hell I'd say a hefty number, maybe even most, aren't even aware that he's half white. But just because people don't care, it doesn't really mean the differences aren't there.

Edited by Jotari

10 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Not even most British conservatives would like Trump - he had something like a 15% approval in the UK late 2020 (on par with Russian and China leadership) and it might be even lower now.

I know Theresa May absolutely hated having to deal with him and it was always so obvious when they were in the same room together. I also recall parliament speaking about a motion to just cancel his visit that one time. 

You'll find most right-wingers generally don't like other right-wingers from other countries. Probably because they have no interest in working together as they want to be nationalist, to the exclusion of other countries.

The European right is often very chummy with each other. They go to each other's conventions, make personal visits and at times make pledges to work together. Wilders, Le Pen, Orban and Salvini are all pretty close. They showed affection to Trump because in his rhetoric and ideas Trump is a lot like them. That they don't hold this affection for the Republican party in general is probably because the Republican party feels really alien for a European, while Trump feels very familiar.  Trump is just your average authoritarian strongman, but with Republicans its often really hard to understand them if you're not American. Things they so fanatically fight against are things the rest of the world already has for decades and which even our right wing parties value(or pretend to value) to some extend because the alterative would be to lose a lot of votes. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I know Theresa May absolutely hated having to deal with him and it was always so obvious when they were in the same room together. I also recall parliament speaking about a motion to just cancel his visit that one time. 

The European right is often very chummy with each other. They go to each other's conventions, make personal visits and at times make pledges to work together. Wilders, Le Pen, Orban and Salvini are all pretty close. They showed affection to Trump because in his rhetoric and ideas Trump is a lot like them. That they don't hold this affection for the Republican party in general is probably because the Republican party feels really alien for a European, while Trump feels very familiar.  Trump is just your average authoritarian strongman, but with Republicans its often really hard to understand them if you're not American. Things they so fanatically fight against are things the rest of the world already has for decades and which even our right wing parties value(or pretend to value) to some extend because the alterative would be to lose a lot of votes. 

One thing I'd like to see become a bigger conversation in the US (for my own personal amusement) would be the removal or amending of Jus Soli laws. Republicans would no doubt love it for how it affects immigrants, but on the other hand, Jus Soli is enshrined in the holy constitution that was divinely brought to the American people when it was first created and thus can't ever be changed (even though it already has been changed a bunch of times).

Edited by Jotari

Dr. Alan Braid, a Texas doctor living in San Antonio publicly announce he has performed abortion earlier this month

Well, he's basically asking someone to sue him. Hope it goes well for him.

In case you are a person who is blissfully unaware about Texas Heartbeat Act; it is a law in Texas came into effect in September 1, 2021 that enable any private individuals to sue any person/company/clinic that performs or aid in an abortion of a patient with a unborn child with a "detectable Fetal Heartbeat" for at minimum $10,000 [Note: The person who had the abortion can't be sued by this law].

In additional note, now that I've seen the Texas Heartbeat Act in actual text, all I can say is (without any surprise): the length the republicans went to banning Abortion without banning abortion is staggering (not all but some what I can fully understand myself).

• No limit to how many different private individuals (plaintiff) can be suing the defendant at once
  • Serial plaintiff are protected  from non-mutual issues or claim preclusion (a.k.a, If one plaintiff brings thousands of lawsuits against different clinics with the same allegations, and they lose the first one (or like the first twenty cases), the other providers being sued can't rely on those first cases to stop the litigation.
  • If the plaintiff prevails, the reward for the plaintiff must cover the costs & attorney's fee (in additional to the $10,000 or more cash reward)
  • If the defendant prevails, the reward for the defendant cannot cover for the costs and/or attorney's fee.
  • "[Defendant] does not have standing to assert the rights of women seeking an abortion as a defense" 
Edited by Clear World

And he's now being sued.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/arkansas-man-sues-texas-doctor-who-admitted-he-violated-state-n1279676

It'd at least set the path to put the law under judicial review, which was likely part of the doctor's intention to begin with.

This is also noteworthy:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/20/politics/gop-operatives-charged-money-russian-citizen-trump/index.html

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 9/17/2021 at 2:33 PM, Shoblongoo said:

In all fairness.

Half the reasons Americans are as fucked up as we are is we use to be Brits 

Oi, I resent that remark -- along with the millions of people descended from non-Brits and regions never controlled by the Brits. We're American too, y'know

What makes me the saddest about the state of this country is all the anti-science bullshit that's going around. Also, I legit don't understand why the same people crying about how vaccines are unsafe and will kill you are the same ones ingesting horse medicine and untested drugs for unrelated things. And bleach.

Edited by Sunwoo

13 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

What makes me the saddest about the state of this country is all the anti-science bullshit that's going around. Also, I legit don't understand why the same people crying about how vaccines are unsafe and will kill you are the same ones ingesting horse medicine and untested drugs for unrelated things. And bleach.

I would chalk it up to blind disobedience of the government. It is mainly because the government is pushing for the people to be vaccinated and then you have grifters gaslight their audience by making them suspicious of why the government insists on the vaccine.

Ha, you're probably right about that. Still baffles the everliving fuck out of me though. Guess I'm not insane enough to even begin to comprehend their thought process.

But in all seriousness, you'd think people would be a lot more careful about what they put in their bodies. Perhaps we need to make warning labels bigger. Like, "you'll notice them before the brand name" bigger.

12 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I read that some of those lawsuits are from people that don't even live in Texas lol. The GOP has loved to claim that frivolous lawsuits are rampant yet here they are making legislation that makes that a reality.

Oh right. It completely passed my mind that the crafted law never really specifics any criteria for the plaintiff, other than they "believe" the defendant performed/assisted with an abortion . 

But it does make a point that the burden of proof falls to the defendant to provide to the court.

17 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And he's now being sued.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/arkansas-man-sues-texas-doctor-who-admitted-he-violated-state-n1279676

It'd at least set the path to put the law under judicial review, which was likely part of the doctor's intention to begin with.

This is also noteworthy:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/20/politics/gop-operatives-charged-money-russian-citizen-trump/index.html

How does this actually work if all it takes is some random person going through an physician's blog in hopes for some easy money?

Edited by Armchair General

17 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

How does this actually work if all it takes is some random person going through an physician's blog in hopes for some easy money?

What exactly, enforcing the law or the Judicial Review thing?

For the latter, from what I'm searching up, at least in the US, a law still needs to be deemed as not violating existing laws, up to the Constitution itself. But in order for that to happen, it actually needs to attempt enforcement. So it gets taken to review. The Republicans were hoping for the law to not be challenged by deterrent alone. But with the Doctor openly stated he performed an abortion, it would goad people to attempt to sue, thus forcing the law to be put into practice, but first, it needs to be subjected to judicial review to check it truly doesn't violate any Constitutional laws or amendments. The hope here is that the still-in-effect Roe vs Wade means the Anti-Abortion Law is violating it, and thus becomes unenforceable.

14 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Destroying the world economy to own the libs

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

It's pretty self-explanatory. If you think someone in Texas has in any way helped someone perform an illegal abortion (so basically all of them) and have some evidence, you get to sue them in civil court. If the complaint isn't thrown out for some reason, you get to go to discovery to get information from the person you're suing to make your case, then there's a trial and you end up at least $10,000 richer if there's a conviction. And getting a conviction in civil court is much easier than criminal court, at least in theory.

2 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

It's hilarious.

Here's the article he was referencing.

https://www.studyfinds.org/vaccines-salad-growing-plants/

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure if it'll pan out the way that they'll expect. Apparently, ingesting the mRNA vaccine is an complete waste and mRNA itself generally lasts from a few seconds to several minutes. Plus, vaccines derived from it needs to be refrigerated or nearly frozen to prevent it from decomposing.

Edited by Armchair General